TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Wrestlefreak

OAO Vengeance 2006 Thread

It doesn't hurt to speculate. I'm most intrigued by what it means by "The Monster" Kane

Anybody else think the Lumberjack stip will hinder the Cena-Sabu match and just make a huge trainwreck? I'm not expecting Steamboat-Flair, but wouldn't "extreme rules" be enough?

It will definitely hinder it. Cena's a decent brawler, so keeping the match confined to the ring (minus the occasional Cena beatdown on the outside) is very counter-productive. It will also limit the spots Sabu can do.

You're crazy if you don't think Sabu will either a) dive into a giant crowd of ECW-ites & Cena or b) move the ECW guys out of the way and grab some kind of weapon. I could see him doing a similar dive from Raw, but towards/onto the entrance ramp and into a mob of people beating on Cena.

It doesn't hurt to speculate. I'm most intrigued by what it means by "The Monster" Kane

Could be Masked Kane's offical name?

Could be. Or unmasked Kane might go nuts at Vengeance and start calling himself the monster or something

Where's Triple H on the SummerSlam tour card? Regardless of what he says, I expect him to take some time off because of the baby, but I can't see him missing the 2nd biggest show of the year. Maybe he's just not doing the Australia show.

Where's Triple H on the SummerSlam tour card? Regardless of what he says, I expect him to take some time off because of the baby, but I can't see him missing the 2nd biggest show of the year. Maybe he's just not doing the Australia show.

I'm thinking he will stick to the regular taping schedule but skip the house shows and tours for the first couple months. I'm just curious if they will try to stretch out the DX/McMahons and SS stuff for Slam or just move onto the Orton/HHH program.

Guest Human Highlight Reel
John Cena only 'failed' in so far as not getting over in the babyface manner the promotion wanted. Cena draws at house shows, which is where business first turn arounds. Your most devoted customers are going to go to house shows, and at house shows the people are coming for Cena. As far as television numbers go, I don't have them at hand right now, but I'd be willing to bet that Cena doesn't turn people off to any great degree.

Well, that is specifically what I was referring to when I said 'failed', not becoming the next Rock or Austin like Vince wanted. Wasn't Meltzer saying that Vince was making getting Cena over as a babyface his new pet project? I personally don't believe that people are coming to see Cena at house shows. Do you happen to have the numbers at hand to show it? As for TV ratings, they went up when Cena lost the belt (to Edge), and I think that sends a powerful message.

I hate Lumberjack matches were all the lumberjacks are heel, they always suck, and I have a feeling the only difference with this one is Sabu'll pull out an awesome spot or two.

John Cena only 'failed' in so far as not getting over in the babyface manner the promotion wanted. Cena draws at house shows, which is where business first turn arounds. Your most devoted customers are going to go to house shows, and at house shows the people are coming for Cena. As far as television numbers go, I don't have them at hand right now, but I'd be willing to bet that Cena doesn't turn people off to any great degree.

Well, that is specifically what I was referring to when I said 'failed', not becoming the next Rock or Austin like Vince wanted. Wasn't Meltzer saying that Vince was making getting Cena over as a babyface his new pet project? I personally don't believe that people are coming to see Cena at house shows. Do you happen to have the numbers at hand to show it? As for TV ratings, they went up when Cena lost the belt (to Edge), and I think that sends a powerful message.

I hate Lumberjack matches were all the lumberjacks are heel, they always suck, and I have a feeling the only difference with this one is Sabu'll pull out an awesome spot or two.

I just don't like the idea of Cena overcoming the odds (like that's anything new). We've already seen how they're willing the book the finishes of "extreme rules" matches, and I fear that the ending sequence could kill a nice match (lots of brawling, a few nice spots, the crowd reaction to Sabu). I would also not be surprised to see the match end with and ECW/WWE brawl, and that would be a shame. With that in mind, I surprised Cena hasn't said he's gonna bring 10 lumberjacks from WWE with him. At least this way, it wouldn't be a garauntee that Sabu and ECW would get booed.

You're crazy if you don't think Sabu will either a) dive into a giant crowd of ECW-ites & Cena or b) move the ECW guys out of the way and grab some kind of weapon. I could see him doing a similar dive from Raw, but towards/onto the entrance ramp and into a mob of people beating on Cena.

I have no doubt that Sabu will dive into a crowd at some point, but the lumberjacks will probably wind up keeping this match in the ring more than it should be. The match would be better if it was just "extreme rules." Even with that stip, you could still do the Sabu dives into a crowd of ECW guys spot and it would be far less predictable.

I personally don't believe that people are coming to see Cena at house shows. Do you happen to have the numbers at hand to show it? As for TV ratings, they went up when Cena lost the belt (to Edge), and I think that sends a powerful message.

The rating for the first Raw after Cena dropped the belt were up from the week before, but Raw’s rating usually spikes the day after PPV’s anyway. The next week the rating was the same, so Cena dropping the title did not appear to bring in enough viewers to make any difference.

The rating went up the following week, but the day after Cena got the belt back the overall rating was the same, and stayed at that level for the next week as well. Cena getting the belt back did not turn off a significant level of fans. The next week was a Thursday special Raw, so the rating for that, a 3.3, does not really count either way. Raw was back to 4’s the week after that. When the Cena-Edge program was going on, even when Cena was the champion again, it spiked the ratings. It was a ratings draw to the point that a tag match involving Maria and Lita as their respective partners, and after Cena got the belt back, gained 638,000 viewers. Cena dropping the title did not bring people back like you think it did, and Cena being the champion again did not turn people off either.

Cena is WWE’s top merchandise seller as well, so he brings in the dollars in that department too. As for house shows, a lot of merchandise sales come from them, and if people are going to buy a wrestler’s merchandise at house shows, then they’re also likely going to pay to see him wrestle at house shows as well.

I have no doubt that Sabu will dive into a crowd at some point, but the lumberjacks will probably wind up keeping this match in the ring more than it should be. The match would be better if it was just "extreme rules." Even with that stip, you could still do the Sabu dives into a crowd of ECW guys spot and it would be far less predictable.

The match would be a disappointment if Sabu does not go thru some tables and/or the announcer booth.

I just thought of a horrible prospect: After Vengeance, and when this Raw/ECW angle does finally stop, WWE will probably add an ECW PPV to the calendar sometime in the near future(since ECW only has ONS as an exclusive). I doubt WWE would be willing to leave ECW with 1 PPV a year. WWE really doesn't need another PPV.

In regards to RVD, I think he should retain the title at Vengeance. IMO, he should be given a decent run and then drop the belt to Edge later on. It certainly shouldn't go back to Cena(who Ive had enough of) or HHH(who has had enough title runs) anytime soon.

Guest Hotbutter Spoontoaster
I just thought of a horrible prospect: After Vengeance, and when this Raw/ECW angle does finally stop, WWE will probably add an ECW PPV to the calendar sometime in the near future(since ECW only has ONS as an exclusive). I doubt WWE would be willing to leave ECW with 1 PPV a year. WWE really doesn't need another PPV.

ECW's next PPV is December 3rd. WWE have already added a second ECW PPV.

Perhaps another will be added in August, September, or October. Six months is an awfully long time between two PPVs in the modern era. I'd personally love to see November to Remember brought back on November 12.

Something I never thought of. Having an extreme rules lumberjack match seems almost counter productive. Obviously the kayfabe reason for having lumberjacks is to make sure the "action" stays inside the ring. But if it's an "extreme rules" match, why would you want to contain them? Now, the real reason you have lumberjacks is so they get heat for interfering with the match. But again, if it's an extreme rules match, guys can interfere anyway, with no threat of any reprocusions.

All this, I'm sure the WWE thought of.

It sounds like the Raw/ECW cross-promotion might not end after this PPV. It will ramp down slowly over time as ECW brings in more new/young guys that start to get over maybe...right now ECW is very much Raw and Friends, and looks to stay that way for a while.

SD may be treated like the C-show, but in terms of quality it's still the A-show. I'm really glad Vince thinks of Raw as the A-show, though, so all of his "genius" ideas gets put over there.

That's exactly how I feel.

Anyway, I wont be ordering Vengeance but the 3 way appeals to me and Sabu vs Cena appealed to me greatly until it became a lumber jack match. WTF. FTW.

I still think Foley/Flair are going to have a damn good match. A good match in a "It was better then it had any right to be" type of way.

Having PPV's this close together is fuckin' bullshit. Looks like my cable bill isn't getting paid in full next month.

I really liked the idea of a double title ladder match between RVD and Edge. It'd be a nice way to end the interpromotional Raw/ECW "feud" and would keep both guys strong (each reaches for the belt he wants most). I say do a goofy finish tonight with those two, then do that match at SS with the ladder. Maybe have RVD get DQed tonight for using ECW styles chairs and what not.

My thoughts:

I will be ordering this with 3 of my friends. We order about a third of the brand-exclusive shows and since Vengeance has been historically good we aren't gonna miss this one. Plus, I think the card has a lot of potential to be a really great show.

WWE Championship Match

- Rob Van Dam © vs. Edge w/ Lita.

I'll be happy however this ends. I loved Edge as champ and would like to see him with the belt again but I also think RVD should keep the ECW title. I'm assuming this will have a disputed finish but could be a good match.

2 on 5 Handicap Match

- D-Generation X vs. The Spirit Squad.

I loved DX the first time around, and I know they aren't the same at all anymore, but this match should still be fun. I hope the spirit squad breaks out the trampoline.

Extreme Lumberjack Match

- John Cena vs. Sabu.

Don't know what the point of the lumberjacks is, but I hope they beat the hell out of Cena.

WWE Intercontinental Championship - Triple Threat

- Shelton Benjamin © vs. Carlito vs. Johnny Nitro.

Should be a good wrestling match. I really like Nitro as a singles guy and Carlito is impressing me in the ring. I hope one of them takes the title.

- Kurt Angle vs. Randy Orton.

Eh, I love Angle and hate Orton. Hope they get a good amount of time without many restholds.

2 out of 3 Falls Match

- Ric Flair vs. Mick Foley.

Looking forward to this match the most. Will be something to remember however it happens.

- Kane vs. "Fake" Kane.

Interested to see what happens in this one.

- Umaga vs. Eugene.

Hopefully a squash.

Official Predictions:

Edge vs. RVD (WWE title): I'm pretty sure this is only for the WWE title, which means Edge definitely goes over. It won't be clean, but Edge wins in some fashion to get the WWE title on Raw again.

DX vs. Spirit Squad: Have they made any mention of this being for the tag titles? I don't remember any. Not like it matters, as DX goes over either way. It's HHH and Michaels. They just reunited. They've regularly beat the SS down the past few weeks. Without massive cheating (and honestly, how do you pull that off when it's 5 on 2 anyway?), I don't see how DX can't win.

John Cena vs. Sabu: With Edge winning and Sabu being booked strong, I think Sabu wins. Cena going over "against all odds" wouldn't surprise me, though.

Shelton vs. Carlito vs. Nitro (IC title): Could be really fun or could be a clusterfuck. Total toss-up as to who wins any way you look at it. Shelton has been a lame-duck champ and the other guys seem to be getting mini-pushes. On the other hand, Shelton has been putting over both guys recently which is a good sign in the world of wrestling going into a ppv. I really have no clue. I'll say Carlito, since Shelton never ever beats him.

Kurt Angle vs. Randy Orton: Hm, this is another one that could go either way. I say Orton gets his win back by cheating.

Ric Flair vs. Mick Foley: Mick's sabotages the first 10 minutes or so and wins the first fall by cheating. Flair overcomes Foley's low workrate to win the second fall. Then, I'm torn on the finish. I could see Foley getting "caught up" in the match and start really trying to win the decisive fall... OR I could see them sticking with the intentional sabotage and have Foley get intentionally DQ'ed or counted out.

Kane vs. New Kane: The new Kane wins, with a weird twist in the storyline that requires more explanation on Raw.

Umaga vs. Eugene: Eugene with the stunner/leg drop combo. Does this match deserve a serious prediction?

Guest Hotbutter Spoontoaster

Umaga/Eugene. Winner: Umaga.

Kane/"Imposter" Kane. Winner: "Imposter" Kane.

Shelton/Nitro/Carlito. Winner: Johnny Nitro.

Angle/Orton. Winner: Kurt Angle.

Foley/Flair. Winner: Mick Foley.

Cena/Sabu. Winner: John Cena.

DX/Spirit Squad. Winners: DX.

RVD/Edge. Winner: Screwjob. I'm just happy it's a Raw PPV finally without Cena in the main event.

- Rob Van Dam © vs. Edge w/ Lita. Edge wins, and RVD stays in ECW as champ, though it will most likely end in a screwjob. Also, I expect Cena to feud with Edge soon

- DX vs. The Spirit Squad. DX wins, and I don't care.

- John Cena vs. Sabu. Cena not only wins, but takes our several WCW wrestlers, thus making the new ECW even more worthless

- Shelton Benjamin © vs. Carlito vs. Johnny Nitro. Eith Benjamin or Carlito go over. I don't see Nitro winning.

- Kurt Angle vs. Randy Orton. Orton wins. I honestly doubt anyone in ECW will win. Also, Lawler will say "Extremely Crappy Wrestling" 30 times during the match, and continue to cause viewers to put the TV on mute

- Ric Flair vs. Mick Foley. Flair by DQ. Honestly, why are they doing this?

- Kane vs. "Fake" Kane. Fake Kane wins, and they continue with this for the rest of the summer.

- Umaga vs. Eugene. Umaga in a squash. Also, I'm sick and tired of the Eugene character, and think that it's run it's course.

I would have gotten this if it wasn't right after ONS.

Me too, if it wasn't after ONS & Slammiversary. 2 PPVS in 2 weeks is a stretch, but 3 in 3 weeks is too much for the satellite bill.

I'm thinking about ordering it, if only because I'm not going to bother with the SD PPV at all, then after that the only one that I'll be watching anytime soon is Summerslam.

I was planning on going to see it with my nephew (he's going anyway, he lives in Charlotte, but I didn't feel like driving the three hours to make it up there today.

Eugene has been like a castrated donkey ever since Triple H "broke" his arm in that cage match, and then he showed up like a week later acting the same, as if nothing had happened.

Obviously, I hope Umaga "kills" Eugene and we never see him on TV again. I want to see Eugene pathetically crawling around on his hands crying and begging for his life after an extended beatdown from Umaga. The referee turns away in disgust and Umaga hits him with about a dozen Samoan Spikes as the crowd roars. Estrada can then put out a lit cigar on Eugene's face. Eugene is finally taken out on a stretcher, covered with a blanket. The paramedics roll him past a waiting ambulance and chuck him into a dumpster, never to be seen again.

I decided to order it. First PPV I am watching live on TV since In Your House 2. I've been to a couple live ones, but first one I am dropping the money to see on TV since then. I got the $5 Circuit Rebate, I got a friend coming over to split the price, so it won't be too bad. I want to support a RVD/Edge main event, although final match I am fearing will be DX vs. Spirit Squad. I also am very interested in Foley/Flair like everyone else. It may not be lined up to be a classic due to timing, but it's got me very interested. We'll see if this inspires me to keep doing this.