Sign in to follow this  
MrRant

Transformers The Movie

I was kinda miffed with the cocktease dialogue in the final battle:

"One shall stand, one shall fall!"

should have been followed up with:

"Why throw away your life so recklessly?"

"That's a question you should ask yourself, Megatron"

even today when watching the Animated Movie, you get that "OH SHIT, IT'S ON SON!" feeling when you hit that part.

Yeah, but I got the "OH SHIT, ITS ON SON!" when I got the one shall stand one shall fall line.

thats all I needed.

Well, actually I needed a better fight afterwards and Starscreams bitch kick, but hey...you get what you can and hope for more in the sequal.

even today when watching the Animated Movie, you get that "OH SHIT, IT'S ON SON!" feeling when you hit that part.

I was more miffed that when they were having that dialogue, I didn't get to see them because the camera followed Sam as he stumbled around in a hole.

And him hitting the SHIT out of it with his door.

The "more to you than meets the eye" line didn't really bother me that much. Because if it wasn't a Transformers movie it wouldn't have seemed corny.

Actually I was the only one who laughed at it. Everyone else in the theater seemed like they where too young to have even seen the original cartoon show, so I got a big kick out of it.

I was more miffed that when they were having that dialogue, I didn't get to see them because the camera followed Sam as he stumbled around in a hole.

Thank you, at least someone shared my sentiments. I even mouthed the line it was so well done, but it would have been better if I'D SEEN IT!

I didn't like the movie, I didn't think I would but I was hoping to be proved wrong.

There was too much to complain about to even go into, and most of it's already been covered.

Didn't like the main dude.

Didn't like the chick.

The Autobots sneaking around the house scene went of for fucking ages. It was painful to watch and not even funny.

Killing Jazz seemed pointless because they didn't even make a big deal out of it. I didn't really notice that he'd died. I saw Megatron kill something but couldn't make out what it was as everyone (bar prime) looked exactly the same.

The action scenes were good, but would have been better if it hadn't of kept cutting to what the humans were doing. I don't care about them, SHOW ME THE ROBOTS!

And this is the first film I've ever seen thats based on a cartoon/comic were the cartoons logic makes more sense than the movies. In the cartoon, Teltran One goes out and finds some cars/planes/trucks etc to transform into and redesigns the Transformers. In the movie, the look at a car and change into it. Thats just lazy writing if you ask me.

And this is the first film I've ever seen thats based on a cartoon/comic were the cartoons logic makes more sense than the movies. In the cartoon, Teltran One goes out and finds some cars/planes/trucks etc to transform into and redesigns the Transformers. In the movie, the look at a car and change into it. Thats just lazy writing if you ask me.

Exactly what I have been saying. But everyone keeps saying "You shouldn't expect good writing from a Micheal Bay movie!" BULLSHIT. The two guys who wrote the script got paid more for their crappy writing than what I'll make for the next 5 years. I should expect better regardless of who's directing.

What's lazy about it? They knew they would have to blend in with their environment so they scanned the first vehicle they saw when they arrived. The producers would have fucked up the whole Ark situation so why even bother with it. I have zero problems with how that whole thing came about.

Look, I'm not trying to apologize for this movie's negatives, but the stuff you all bitch about is so fucking trivial, it's ridiculous.

It's not trivial. It's illogical.

I know they're a "supreme race", but I'm supposed to buy into "they look at something and then they can copy it?" There Transformers, not Transmorphers.

I'm of the opinion that when you're paid good money to do your job, you do it right. I believe that a screenwriter, and I've lived with one, should have a high priority of ensuring that there aren't MAJOR plotholes in their film.

The fact that Frenzy's head magically turned into a cellphone combined with Bumblebee becoming a 2009 Camaro are in fact major plotholes. So major, in fact, that my eight year old Brother in Law caught them. THAT is lazy screenwriting. Simple exposition makes up for that

dude, they were "transmorphed" by Teletran-1 simply looking at things in the cartoon...the only difference is this time they're doing it themselves.

It's a trivial thing to bitch about...period. If you want to bitch about how worthless Anthony Anderson and the Australian girl are, that I can agree with. If you want to bitch that Tyrese is one of the worst actors alive, I'd back you 100%. If you want to bitch about the sneaking around scene, okay that's fine, I don't agree with you, but it's valid. If you want to bitch about the ridiculous product placement, sure absolutely...but THIS? Please...

Didn't teletran one rebuild, or at least, redesign, the Transformers after he scanned for cars? That was the point I was making. I'm not calling it a "plothole", I'm just calling it lazy writing. As a writer myself I can see that.

It's times like these I wish I didn't argue about films so much, esspecially againts Lushus. He's my hommie :P

I think them showing raw looking transformers that didn't have a defined shape yet go and scan something mechanical to become it was fine.

How is that a plot hole by the way? They got their shape by scanning vehicles....thats it.

I have to agree with Lushus here. This is another case of complaining about something trivial.

Didn't teletran one rebuild, or at least, redesign, the Transformers after he scanned for cars? That was the point I was making. I'm not calling it a "plothole", I'm just calling it lazy writing. As a writer myself I can see that.

To be honest, I just figured that they took something from Beast Wars, where the stasis pods did the scanning and imprinting an alt form on the protoforms. This just took it a step further, where the scanning technology was built into the Transformers themselves. This was never explicitly said during the movie, but when you watch the Autobots gain their Blatant Product Placement alt forms, you kinda figure it out.

Basically, as was said, lazy writing and a trivial matter, definitely not a giant gaping plothole.

I think it was kinda expicitly shown when Bumblebee scanned the other car. They did a close up of the scan. Same with Frenzy when they showed him scanning the cell phone, being covered in electricty and transforming into a cellphone.

If you want to talk things that made no sense, why the fuck didn't bumble bee just scan another car after he lost his legs instead of being dragged around by the ass?

perhaps he had to be "complete"?

The cartoon was full of nonsense...for example, if Megatron is such a ruthless bad ass feared throughout the galaxy, why didn't he just kill off Starscream after one of the umpteen times he was betrayed by him? Any other evil leader would have done it after being dicked around by one of their main guys over and over again. Instead, Starscream is able to get the upperhand on him and dump him out into space. FINALLY, as Galvatron, Megatron decides to cut that loss. Megatron certainly should have killed Starscream after the Bruticus ordeal, if anything else.

Also, after all the trouble Spike would put the Autobots through, shouldn't at least one of them have said "You know, guys, this human here ALWAYS gets us into some sort of trouble...let's ditch him already!" I would have expected at least Mirage to mention that at some point.

Basically, as was said, lazy writing and a trivial matter, definitely not a giant gaping plothole.

Just want to claify that I never said it was a plothole, I just said it was lazy writing. Just claifying.

And Lushus is right about the gapping holes in the cartoon. But I always put the the deal with Spike down to the Autobots compassion for earth creatures.

As for Megatron, as much as I love him, he was a fucking idiot. No one in their right minds would keep a traitor at their side. It's not like Starscream was a subtle traitor either.

About the plothole/lazy writing when it comes to Frenzy becoming a cell phone & Bumblebee becoming the new Camaro:

It's bad writing because they didn't clearly define the rules of the universe. I accepted right off the bat that they could scan for new alternate modes just like Beast Wars. The problem is that they shouldn't be able to change the alternate mode at will. That's a change in the rules of the universe from previous incarnations of Transformers, and that would be ok if they declared it. Science Fiction only works well when you clearly define the rules of the universe the action takes place in. They didn't do that.

Now I've said all I'm going to say about that.

As for Megatron/Starscream from G1: I've always felt that Megatron kept Starscream around because he knew what to expect with him. An example of keeping your friends close and enemies closer, if you will. Galvatron wasting Starscream in the movie was, to me, because Starscream dumped Megatron into space and left him for dead. Sure Starscream had done similar before, but there was always someone like Soundwave to help out.

Even as a kid I never understood why Megatron didn't frag Starscream after the first instance of incompetence or betrayal. It just never made sense to me. Guys like Megatron should have zero tolerance for incompetance and insubordination. You fuck up, you die. He could have grabbed that yellow or green Seeker that we see in the very first episode if he needed a third one alongside Skywarp and Thundercracker.

I mention the Bruticus ordeal because that was a case where Starscream blatantly launched an assault against Megatron. He should have been killed for sure on that one. I understand they couldn't be like that with a kid's show, but from a writing standpoint, they're whole relationship is flawed to the gills.

About the plothole/lazy writing when it comes to Frenzy becoming a cell phone & Bumblebee becoming the new Camaro:

It's bad writing because they didn't clearly define the rules of the universe. I accepted right off the bat that they could scan for new alternate modes just like Beast Wars. The problem is that they shouldn't be able to change the alternate mode at will. That's a change in the rules of the universe from previous incarnations of Transformers, and that would be ok if they declared it. Science Fiction only works well when you clearly define the rules of the universe the action takes place in. They didn't do that.

But by clearly showing them changning to a alternate mode, they did declare it. They showed it happen. Twice. With closeups. How much more clearly could they have defined it without someone outright saying it.

Its not even lazy writing. The only reason it stands out to you or me is that you know the cartoon universe of Transformers. Per the rules that were clearly defined in this movie through those two scenes there was nothing wrong with how they handled it.

Although once again, the bumblebee being cool with being dragged around on his ass when he lost his legs made no sense. And like Lushus, I thought he needed to be whole at first, then I remembered Frenzy having lost his whole body and before he scanned the phone.

So apparently Bumblebee just liked the camaro.

I haven't seen the cartoon in years. So long as you don't give a fuck about the plot logic and just enjoy it as a big shiny movie, you're fine.

Just asume that Bumblebee was too drained to change forms due to having been in a heavier attack. Or that Megatron has some sort of weapon which stopped him from switching.

I've never watched the cartoons, so I thought this movie was pretty good. It was just a good little action flick, with bad dialogue and great CGI. I though Shia did a great job.

Just want to claify that I never said it was a plothole, I just said it was lazy writing. Just claifying.

I was referring to Swigg when I said that luke, but I think everyone's on the same page - it was pretty much a same shit, different pile kind of thing.

Something I have to note:

At least at Tropicana in Atlantic City, "Transformers" is coming to IMAX in September.

I don't know if it will just be that theater or all IMAX theaters.

So if you live in or near Atlantic City, you might wanna check it out.

It's going to be released in IMAX theatres on the 21st.

OK, so it's not just for Tropicana. Good.

Personally, I think that they should have done it in IMAX from the start...but they had already lined up "Harry Potter and the Order of the Pheonix" by then.