TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MrRant

Transformers The Movie

Unless you're retarded, or blind, then you must not have seen Scorponok dig himself into the fucking sand after being blasted by a Spectre Gunship.

Edit: Some of your complaints are a riot, no seriously, if you thought this was going to be a great, fanastic movie of solid character build and etc, then you're fucking stupid. It's based off a damn toyline that ran for multiple seasons with bad episodes(besides a handful.)

I'm aware of that. He didn't die so I would have expected him to show up (and re-unite with Black-out) with the rest of the Deceptions when they form up to go after the All-Spark. Jesus Christ, its just a movie. Relax on the flaming. Everybody has their opinions.

All I can say is - it's one of the best summer flicks I've seen. I do have a few comlaints though - such as lack of screentime for my favorite decepticon - Starscream. I also wish Prime would have got some offense in on Megatron. I know they were making Megatron to look like a badass, but if Prime could get offense on Megatron in 86, why not just a punch of two for Christ's sake? And when and how the hell did Bumblebee get his voice back? Besides those minor complaints (well lack of Starscream is big complaint for me), I enjoyed it and I am looking foward to the sequel. Let's get Hot Rod, Soundwave, Shockwave, Ultra Magnus, and of course Unicron in one of the two sequels. Oh, and more Starscream.

Also check out this sector 7 promotion video for the movie. It features Grimlock, Kickback, and Laserbeak.

I hope Grimlock will make it into the franchise at some point.

I watched this again today with a friend that wanted to see it and this is what I gathered about the Starscream / Megatron issue:

After Starscream (as a jet) flies by the area that the real jets were in, he speed ahead of the 3 remaining jets.

When Megatron is attacked, it seems to be by a fast flying, low flying jet ("real planes don't fly at building level, that's gotta be alien" was also said earlier). After the attack, when Megatron is laying on the street, you see the 3 remaining jets fly by. So, while it was probably a long distance attack, it's quite plausible Starscream sped ahead of the jets to get first crack at Megatron.

I never paid too much attention to Starscream's location when Magatron was attacked, but the more I think of it, the more sense it makes. I also noticed that no one made mention of Starscream flying off into space during the closing credits. Looks like if there is a sequal then we will be seeing, and hearing a lot more from Starscream, which I am all for!

Edit: Some of your complaints are a riot, no seriously, if you thought this was going to be a great, fanastic movie of solid character build and etc, then you're fucking stupid. It's based off a damn toyline that ran for multiple seasons with bad episodes(besides a handful.)

I know I'm gonna get flamed for this, but Transformers isn't just a cartoon. The franchise spawned comic books and novels based off of the original property, not to mention the cartoon spin-offs. All of which have at one time shown the ability to create fantastic stories with great character build. If you don't believe me, check out Beast Wars, or the IDW Transformers comics. The former has GREAT character build and depth, and the latter did Transformers set in a modern setting MUCH better than the movie.

If they explain in the sequel that Starscream was involved in the attack on Megatron, I'll buy it...until then, no, it's a fan boy masturbatory dream. Outside of one little line, Megatron berating Starscream, there was no build on their rivalry at all.

If you don't believe me, check out Beast Wars, or the IDW Transformers comics. The former has GREAT character build and depth, and the latter did Transformers set in a modern setting MUCH better than the movie.

It's not like they have more time to build characters in a long running TV/comic series than they do in a two hour movie, or anything.

Finally saw this movie over the weekend. On one hand it was a really crappy movie with shit writing, plotholes galore, bad pacing and non-existent character development, but the action delivered and it was a fun way to blow a couple hours on a Saturday afternoon.

Just saw this, and overall I really liked it. My main gripe, like pretty much everyone else, was the lack of character development (or really, any character) on the part of the Decepticons. Still, it was a fun summer movie, which is what it was intended to be.

Guest Smues

Finally saw this last night. I had no idea who Shia LaBeouf was before this film, but I saw lots of people excited to see him in this, so I was (foolishly) thinking he was a good actor. Jesus christ was I wrong. I spent most of the movie trying to find something sharp to slit my wrists with just to make the pain stop. Yeah the writing is to blame, but he didn't help it one bit.

I am convinced that Michael Bay is a blind deaf mute, because obviously he has never heard actual human conversation before in his life. At least three times I almost got up and went to the lobby just to make the hurting stop, and I once uttered aloud "Jesus christ shut the fuck up kid" which is unlike me, I usually just think that to the screen. Michael Bay and Shia LaBeouf's heads on pikes, that's all I ask.

Roger Ebert actually wished they had cut some of the CGI stuff. And replaced it with what? More pain in my soul talking with the useless humans? Christ the CGI was the ONLY thing good in this film. Take out all the shit with Shia, section 7, and the fat black dude that yelled alot, and I could have enjoyed myself. The robots looked great, and I liked how the plot was set up. What I didn't like was GIANT FUCKING ROBOTS hiding from Shia LaBeouf's parents. A scene that wasn't really funny to begin with, or practical, and it just kept going on and on and on. Oh hey the scene of death is finally ending YAY...oh wait look now someone god awfully scripted government agents are here to act enough worse. KILL ME.

And what's the point of casting Hugo Weaving if you're just going to distort his voice beyond recognition? I could hear Optimus Prime and think "Yep that sounds like Eyor" but even knowing in advance that Megatron was Hugo Weaving I could not hear it as Hugo at all.

Oh and I can't forget the "humor" in the film. I'm not going to lie and say that I found none of it funny. There were plenty of things that I laughed at. The problem was this movie through out so many attempts at humor and only like 20% of them hit with me. Throw enough shit at the wall and see what sticks huh Michael Bay? It probably didn't help that the theater I was in thought that EVERY attempt at a joke was the funniest thing they had ever heard. They'd fall out of their seats laughing and clapping while I cringed at how awful the last "joke" was.

Then there was the product placement. I'm 100% fine with product placement in movies. It makes it feel more realistic to have real world products. The problem in this case was the overload of it as the product placement just kept coming at you non-stop, and the fact that product placement makes it feel more real, except this is a movie about GIANT FUCKING ROBOTS FROM SPACE and that pretty much NOBODY in the film acted/talked like real people. The soldiers in the desert, and the secretary of defense guy were about the only humans I could stand.

I'd bitch about some of the plot holes, but The Editing Room's abridged script does that for me, and pretty much covers a lot of my problems with the movie. Transformers abridged script

Overall I enjoyed the action, and I wasn't expecting greatness, but the dialouge just absolutely killed this movie for me. Is it too much to ask that the conversations on screen do NOT make me want to kill myself to stop the pain?

Edit: Oh one more thing I forgot. All the pointless BOOMING sounds early on in the film that didn't really have a purpose. I don't know if it stopped later in the film, or I just didn't notice as much because I was focused on figuring out how I was going to kill Shia. Another thing I noticed was during the goofy giant robots hide from parents scene, each step the autobots take is making a big BOOM, that you would thing the parents might hear when they come to the window. But once that happens Michael Bay just cranks up the soundtrack and they run out of sight, still taking heavy, probably loud steps. Hey Michael, just because the soundtrack drowns out the footsteps for the audience doesn't mean it would do the same for people in the movie.

Smues is right, the dialogue was beyond atrocious. I might have said this earlier, but at least 10 times during the film after an astrocious line, I turned to my friend and said: Michael Bay.

I liked Shia though.

Lets see...

The movie kicked ass because it was mindless and I could be a big kid in there just watching cool CGI and stuff getting broken down.

Prime saying "You know we can't hurt humans. Ironhide, seriously, whats wrong with you?" made me laugh harder than anything in the whole movie.

I loved Shia's performance. It was pretty freakin awesome. The guy has some good comedic timing. Megan Fox was pretty useless outside of her and her stomach working on the car, but hey, its a summer movie. It needs eyecandy.

I also loved Shia's mom. She was hilarious.

Not enough Starscream. If he had come up to megatron and gave him the 1986 bitch kick while he was down, I would have stood up and clapped. I guess the one line was a nod to everyone that watched the old stuff, but still.

They REALLY could have cut the bullshit with Anthony Anderson. There was no reason for him to be in the movie. That was ten minutes that could have been spent on anything else.

I had no problem with the lack of character development amoung the Decepticons because they were villans in a action movie. Who they didn't have to talk about anything. We want the All Spark...lets go get that shit.

I could have used a little bit more with the Autobots, because they were pretty hilarious when they talked.

John Tuturro(sp..whatever) doing his Michael Richards impression could have been gone too...infact the entire Sector 7 subplot. They could have taken it just as simple as they did in independance day (there is some things you don't know about sir) and go along with it.

The Megatron, Prime fight was kinda disappointing. Honestly, if they had went blow for blow a remake of the 86 fight (minus fucking Hot Rod) that would have been fine with me.

But overall, it was a kickass movie for me, left plenty open for a sequal with a couple of Decepticons not dying(including my boy Starscream).

The only minus is that with the new movie coming up, I will probably never be able to get a good price on replacing my Starscream Masterpiece since the prices have jumped all over the net to like 200 bucks. Fuck that son.

They REALLY could have cut the bullshit with Anthony Anderson. There was no reason for him to be in the movie. That was ten minutes that could have been spent on anything else.

I've yet to see a Hang Time alumnus be worth a damn since starring on the show, although I suppose Reggie Theus has a chance to prove me wrong.

I've yet to see a Hang Time alumnus be worth a damn since starring on the show, although I suppose Reggie Theus has a chance to prove me wrong.

Anthony Anderson is a great drama actor...his work on the Shield...maybe that new NBC show he has coming out (it is NBC right) and he was pretty good in the Departed too.

Now his comedy work is hit or REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY miss.

Guest Smues
you're were expecting dialogue...in a Michael Bay film?

BAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I wasn't expecting greatness, or even goodness. I did expect something passable that wouldn't cause that much pain for that long of a time.

Anthony Anderson is a great drama actor...his work on the Shield...maybe that new NBC show he has coming out (it is NBC right) and he was pretty good in the Departed too.

Now his comedy work is hit or REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY miss.

FOX.

I liked Anthony Anderson in Hustle & Flow.

He was awesome in "The Shield" a while back. Almost stole the show.

you're were expecting dialogue...in a Michael Bay film?

BAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I wasn't expecting greatness, or even goodness. I did expect something passable that wouldn't cause that much pain for that long of a time.

True. It's not like Bay wrote the movie.

Which, by the way, the bad dialogue in this film has me really worried about the upcoming Star Trek movie

Which, by the way, the bad dialogue in this film has me really worried about the upcoming Star Trek movie

What, because the last couple of Trek movies were so stellar?

If they explain in the sequel that Starscream was involved in the attack on Megatron, I'll buy it...until then, no, it's a fan boy masturbatory dream. Outside of one little line, Megatron berating Starscream, there was no build on their rivalry at all.

LOL, I still get a kick out of that when Megatron says that Starscream failed him again. You know Starscream had to be pissed thinking "WTF? You've been frozen for like 100 years, I just got here!"

I saw it again on a friends free pass.

When Shia tells the chick, "There's more to you than meets the eye" in that first scene where he is driving her home. I spit soda. It's just so corny, and awesome.

And him hitting the SHIT out of it with his door.

The "more to you than meets the eye" line didn't really bother me that much. Because if it wasn't a Transformers movie it wouldn't have seemed corny.