TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Hotbutter Spoontoaster

OAO ECW TV Week 8 Thread - August/1st/2006.

The father of Stephanie's baby is Chris Masters...thats why he hasnt been on tv lately beating up jabronies with the Masterlock! Duh.

You probably should've waited a little bit before you posted that, or atleast put it in spoiler tags. Now all the "super smart marks" in this thread will send you hate mail.

Itd be more 'whiney' than 'hateful'..."Why did u have to tell us who the real father is? And stop pickin on WWE. Meany...dont watch it if dont like!"

Okay...lets try this from a different approach...

If you're Vince McMahon...you are going to do whatever is best for your business. Now, it's clearly obvious that there are more marks than smarks in the wrestling fanbase, so why would you want to intentionally put out a product that the majority of your fans won't like....you need to look at this from a business perspective and realize that a few hundred smarks online don't mean anything to vince....the important thing is that he is still making money and guys like DX and Cena are still drawing ratings and crowds.

The chants and boos are a bunch of garbage, and you people are retarded if you think it's cool or whatever adjective is trendy right now. If those fans want to be a part of the way it was, they should remember the pops wrestlers like Scott Steiner, Rick Steiner, Brian Pillman, Rick Rude, Steve Austin, Sid Vicious, Bam Bam Bigelow and more got in ECW, AFTER they'd had success in WCW or WWF or both. Do I think Big Show is the best choice as champ? No I don't but blame Van Dam and Sabu for that. You don't have to be a homegrown ECW product to be a part of this promotion...Public Enemy, the Gangstas, Shane Douglas, Rhino, Eddie Guerrero, the Pit Bulls and all your favorites from a decade ago are not coming back...you on here, most of you at least, need to quit acting like 12 year old junior high drama queens and just get over that fact.

Agreed 100%

And to say that ECW fans are hypocritical would be a gross understatement. They chant "same old shit" when at the same time, all Sabu does is throw chairs in peoples faces and RVD's matches consist of Rolling Thunder and Five Star Frog Splashes....they seem to hate everything that is WWE but yet they cheer for Kurt Angle? Yeah...it makes a lot of sense. If you ask me, ECW fans are bigger marks than Cena Fans.

You have to look at the reason BEHIND that chant. It wasn't because they were doing spots...it's because they were doing a Raw/SD type main event on ECW. ECW is supposed to be the alternative, and yet it's just the same. old. shit. ...it has nothing to do with what spots are used.

They hate on the WWE for destroying what they had. Whether you, the WWE, or anyone else in that company gives a shit...the fans, the "mutants", whatever...are one of the parts of the show. It's not like a Raw or SD where the crowd is just there, seeing a show live. The ECW crowd is like it's own seperate entity. Why do they cheer for Kurt Angle? Simple, his character is embracing the ECW lifestyle. He's just not there taking up space the way Knox and Test seem to be. The newer guys coming in don't seem to have a reason to be there, outside of Angle (drafted), Punk (another step towards superstardom), and maybe the Vampire (asked?). The other new guys seem to just be there to be there. They can't explain, even quickly, why a guy like Mike Knox or Test decided to go to ECW and not the WWE. It's not that hard a question to answer, they just haven't taken the time to do it, and thus, regardless of the fact that it IS Test, the fans just don't care.

The fact that it IS Test, however, is making it ten times worse. The old school ECW fans are huge marks for that product and even for themselves. Again, it's just part of the ECW sub-culture. On the other hand, Cena's fans tend to be blind and deaf, as they can't seem to get the picture that a sizeable chunk of the crowd either wants to see Cena as a heel and be the way he was when he first started getting cheered, or they want him completely off their screens forever. You wanna talk "same old shit"? Even Rocky Miavia didn't get booed for this long before they turned him heel. He comes out, and is ironically Rock-lite in his mannerisms and attitude, yet Rock's charisma carried over enough that he could have enjoyable matches. Rock could/can ACT, and was believable in whatever role he was in (his selling is a bit of a different story). Cena is bland, and what emotion he DOES show is incredibly transparent. You can tell that he is "playing" and that it's all an act. I mean, we all KNOW it's just an act and a character, but there is no suspension of disbelief there at all. John Cena plays the "ruthlessly agressive face" about as well as 2003 Christopher Reeve plays Steve Prefontaine.

The father of Stephanie's baby is Chris Masters...thats why he hasnt been on tv lately beating up jabronies with the Masterlock! Duh.

You probably should've waited a little bit before you posted that, or atleast put it in spoiler tags. Now all the "super smart marks" in this thread will send you hate mail.

Itd be more 'whiney' than 'hateful'..."Why did u have to tell us who the real father is? And stop pickin on WWE. Meany...dont watch it if dont like!"

If you're Vince McMahon...you are going to do whatever is best for your business. Now, it's clearly obvious that there are more marks than smarks in the wrestling fanbase, so why would you want to intentionally put out a product that the majority of your fans won't like....you need to look at this from a business perspective and realize that a few hundred smarks online don't mean anything to vince....the important thing is that he is still making money and guys like DX and Cena are still drawing ratings and crowds.

Why put it under the ECW banner, when ECW's fanbase is made up mostly of smart marks. If you wanted to put out an alternative product for marks, just give OVW a television deal.

From PWInsider:

[qutoe]After ECW on Sci Fi went off the air, Big Show and Batista, standing on opposite sides of the ring on the floor pointed at each other and teased getting in the ring, as the fans booed the. They entered the ring, went face to face, and then smiled at each other. They shook hands and hugged while fans threw garbage at them. Show and Batista then walked around ringside, giving high fives to some fans, while others threw garbage and cursed them out. There definitely was a split reaction to them from the crowd. Before finally exiting, Big Show picked up the microphone and said "Seriously guys, from the bottom of my heart ... you can all kiss my ass".

Fit Finlay and Simon Dean were backstage at the show. Diva Search contestant Rebecca (who was eliminated yesterday) was sitting in one of the balconies.

The crowd was a mix of old-school ECW fans who weren't going to give any "WWE guys" a chance, and WWE fans who reacted positively to the Smackdown stars on the show.

Well actually from a business standpoint, having a third night of WWE-style wrestling is certainly not a draw. Look at the ABYSSMAL performance of Saturday Night's Main Event, and other such smaller scale WWE shows through the years. WWE fans have obviously shown they have had their fill for the week with Raw and Smackdown. There is no instant draw right now like Austin or Rock where you can simply slap their mugs on a show anytime and people will watch.

Now, with this knowledge Vince has a choice. Continue to cater to an audience that has shown they don't care for a third night of WWE, or try and market a show to the other wrestling fans out there that don't particularly watch WWE or ones that at least would like to see something different. You can use this show to draw fans away from other companies. Take their dollars away from their PPVs and DVDs and put those same dollars into your own pocket.

And on top of that, who is to say the majority of fans don't like ECW? The last time I checked it wasn't that ECW wasn't marketed to everyone so much as the access to it was limited. Heyman's message was never "We only cater to smart marks" He just wanted to make a wrestling product that catered to the changing climate of the youth at the time, and he wanted the audience to be more a part of the change, that has nothing to do with locking out anybody. Hell I was a WWF and WCW/NWA fan far before ECW existed, and I didn't shun ECW when I saw it, I viewed it as an alternative, a good one at that, and throughout the 90's I continued to watch ALL THREE PROMOTIONS. Is it so hard to believe that you can be a fan of all three promotions as long as they are putting on an entertaining product?

Show and Batista then walked around ringside, giving high fives to some fans, while others threw garbage and cursed them out. There definitely was a split reaction to them from the crowd.

I like that he felt the need to remind the reader that the fans were split, right after he said the crowd threw garbage at them.

Guest The Great Muta

Then why even bring back ECW which was built on being a much different, edgier, alternative product and instead, simply make it a third hour of RAW? THAT makes no sense as far as "doing what's best for the business."

I laugh at all the ECW fans. Fuckers, be happy you're getting THIS much. Your promotion was dead and buried.

I'm LOVING Test and Mike Knox every week. They represent everything the ECW marks hate, and so I love them eating up air-time each and every Tuesday night.

"Seriously guys, from the bottom of my heart ... you can all kiss my ass".

I really don't want to like the Big Show, but it's hard not to after this. What a virtuoso performance tonight. God bless the "If I'm going down, I'm going down in flames" line of thinking.

Well, no matter what everyone's opinion is on this show, we can all agree..

it was WAY FUCKING BETTER than last night's Raw.

I thought overall tonight's ECW show was really great. The opening tag match was entertaining, CM Punk's debut was impressive and I can't wait to see more of him, and while Angle's match was basiclly a squash, it was great to see him back in his intense form and his new music is fucking sweet. I actually liked the Main-Event, I didn't think it was that terrible IMO, but the crowd chant was fucking sureal, part of the reason why this show kicked ass.

And I just hope we've seen the last of this Raw/SD Vs Big Show Main Event because really, it is now becoming really repititive and overkill, also because I think ECW has found it's own ninch now, with the debut of Punk, the return of Angle and the soon to Return RVD, Raw and SD guys are no longer needed anymore. they've already developed some new Talent and new angles and storylines are in full swing now. I have a feeling that ECW is going to be getting better and better with a few bumps along the road here and there, But I think ECW overall has gotten way better sence the first few weeks of it's debut.

Here's the thing I don't get about Test and Knox and the way they are booked. Tonight they were in a hardcore tag match, but they themselves did little of the actual work. I mean you have guys like Test and Knox that the fans think suck, so why not try to get them some respect? Have them take a sick table spot, run into barbed wire. Or if they aren't going to take those spots make it their gimmick that they are the new wave of ECW pretty boys who refuse to get bloody and make that their gimmick....it could get them some actual heel heat.

I bet they have a "New ECW vs. Old ECW" Survivor Series match at that PPV this year. RVD/Sabu/Sandman/Dreamer and maybe Punk (the lone newcomer who likes the old ECW) vs. Big Show/Knox/Test/someone else, and maybe a heel turned Angle.

I'd love to see what was Vince's reaction to the "Change the channel" chant. If he was watching, or if he ever hears about it.

I am really shocked that he didn't try to mute the crowd after that chang was going on

I laugh at all the ECW fans. Fuckers, be happy you're getting THIS much. Your promotion was dead and buried.

I'm LOVING Test and Mike Knox every week. They represent everything the ECW marks hate, and so I love them eating up air-time each and every Tuesday night.

All we need now is a link to a thread where WWE marks can sit and circle jerk about DX's hijinks last night and how it was sooooo better then anything on EC-Dub. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, if you love Test and Knox so much, then you should be watching a replay of Raw or Smackdown rather then ECW.

Guest JustPassinBy

I thought the crowd's reactions were interesting tonite.

Surprised they didnt bleep out the "You suck dick" chant that Kelly got.

Sounds like Big Show and Dave got the better end of the crowd after the show went off the air. Pretty cool thing they did.

Also, CM Punk needs a new finisher. I think his running knee to the head should be his finisher. That looks worse, than whatever submission he uses. The submission just looks weak. But that running knee was pretty cool.

Guest Princess Leena

Why can't I love Test and somewhat enjoy ECW as well. :(

And BTW, I love CM Punk. His match was fun. I want to see him in longer stuff. I don't know what it is about him. He's not that hot, but I can't take my eyes off him.

Rebecca (who was eliminated yesterday) was sitting in one of the balconies.

Well you didn't win $250K, but here's a ticket, cheap seats of course, to tomorrow night's ECW Show.

I probably would have done a reverse booking and had Dreamer/Sandman match as the main event, because at least the crowd would have been more into it, instead of booing Batista and Show. But I was switching between this and the Contender, so I didn't see the majority of the show.

I cannot help but wonder if they wanted the last match to suck. They had to have known that the crowd reaction would just be brutal and that Sabu would get a huge pop.

Also, WWE already did an admirable job of attempting to kill Philly as an ECW town they might as well make a run at NYC.

And BTW, I love CM Punk. His match was fun. I want to see him in longer stuff. I don't know what it is about him. He's not that hot, but I can't take my eyes off him.

he's got a bunch of hour-ish matches in ROH and IWA-MS

No real ECW fan wanted it back, because we knew it would be like this. We're mature enough to know that things that die should stay dead. Sure, we missed it and were vocal about it, but we never clamored for Vince to bring it back full-time. The once-a-year reunion PPVs were fine with me. Any ECW fan...shit, anybody who watched how the InVasion was booked, could see that Vince wouldn't be able to resist fucking with it and making it what he wanted it to be, just to spite all the original people involved.

My girlfriend thinks he has beautiful eyes.

My girlfriend thinks he has beautiful eyes.

It's got to be the lip ring.

I'm not commenting on this until Bob Barron gives us a full report. I want to hear what happened from someone who was there, in Barron's no-spin zone (seriously, I do). Tonight was a pretty big show in this early going for ECW, so I'm dying to hear exactly what went down.