TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Hotbutter Spoontoaster

OAO ECW TV Week 8 Thread - August/1st/2006.

I think the problem isn't so much extreme rules vs. non extreme matches. It's that they harp on it constantly. I think they should be more like TNA in this regard. There aren't a whole lot of DQs on TNA and if there's a schmozz finish it just ends in a chaotic situation that is tossed out (like Joe/Rhino this past week).

What I'm saying is there shouldn't be all these DQs, but there can be matches that don't have constant chairs and hardcore antics. An unofficial thing that isn't mentioned directly.

Ya know, when RVD had the belt we had a good main event that ended in a clean win.

I really hope RVD does get straight back into the position he was in before the suspension like the rags say.

And there is no reason to end a big time match on a DQ, if there is a reason, like neither guy can job, then the match shouldn't take place.

Wait til a better time for that fued.

There have been exceptions to this, though. If the ending is done creativly and furthers the story, then it's all good to go with a DQ.

I'm listening to the PWInsider audio by Mike Johnson who was live at the show, and he said at the end of the night while fans were tossing stuff in the ring, at one point Batista got so ticked about it he actually picked up a bottle that someone tossed in the ring, and threw it back out into the crowd. That is stupid as hell for him to do something like that.

He also said that a number of fans stood up with their backs to the ring when the main event started. Also, at the end of the show a fan tossed a chair but instead of making it to the ring it hit another fan, and that led to a fist fight between the two fans. At that point, Mike says that he got out of there. :lol:

I'm listening to the PWInsider audio by Mike Johnson who was live at the show, and he said at the end of the night while fans were tossing stuff in the ring, at one point Batista got so ticked about it he actually picked up a bottle that someone tossed in the ring, and threw it back out into the crowd. That is stupid as hell for him to do something like that.

He also said that a number of fans stood up with their backs to the ring when the main event started. Also, at the end of the show a fan tossed a chair but instead of making it to the ring it hit another fan, and that led to a fist fight between the two fans. At that point, Mike says that he got out of there. :lol:

I find it funny that Mike points out that it was bad of Batista to throw the bottle back but didn't point out that Batista also went out and gave high fives to people in the crowd as well.

the whole ecw rules thing is so arbitrary. they dont even give an explanation as to why one match is one and another isnt. They should just lie and say there's a coin toss before each match. If the ME isnt always extreme rules I'll assume the ones that arent are going to end in DQ or countout. You could always guess by the opponent, as Flair was the only one who doesnt have to be protected, I think he's obligated to lose to everyone one under wwe contract. And Kane isnt in any programs with anyone anyway. Or they could just say it was the fake Kane that lost.

funny how brawler didnt seem to know how to tap out it looked like he was applauding, as tap outs didnt exist (in wwf) till '97

styles said this would ME any wrestlemania but ecw gets it all to themselves haha

vince should book this for wm just to piss off the hammerstein fans

and let sabu in a gimmick battleroyal or something

havent seen credible get so much offense in a match in years. if they ever decide to get tagtitles, they should team him up with snow, since they'd only get pinned half as much as usual.

i prefer matches like this instead of a total squash. i dont think anyone the fans recognize should get no offense in.

brawler got a good reaction which isnt what i expected

maybe the fans jus like to root for the losers of the bunch even if they were not in the company

i dont get why they'd boo london and kendrick though

theyve done nothing but wrestle and are so underutilized i barely consider them wwe or smackdown. i went to the supershow hoping to see some of those workers not used enough and they leave them out to work tuesday instead

that does kind of make sense, as workers who have no storyline reason to be on the show end up being used which the fans dont like; but if u can work a nontraditional wwe style then the fans should like it somewhat

would the reaction have been better in the ME if it was ballz instead of deacon dave?

or what if it was undertaker? he wouldve told vince to shut the company down cause the fans cant work wwe style

Batista throwing the bottle back was awesome. He had every right to do that, and I don't blame him.

Especially since he threw it really hard too

I find it funny that Mike points out that it was bad of Batista to throw the bottle back but didn't point out that Batista also went out and gave high fives to people in the crowd as well.

He did point that out, and mentioned hugs as well. That's just not as interesting to point out here, now is it?

- WWE is finally considering giving ECW its own TV tapings once the current 12 week trial period ends. The crowd reaction at the Hammerstein Ballroom in NYC this past Tuesday apparently hammered home the point even to those who have been against the new ECW. The feeling is that the crowd reaction this week made the show something special.
- Credit: PWInsider.com

- WWE is finally considering giving ECW its own TV tapings once the current 12 week trial period ends. The crowd reaction at the Hammerstein Ballroom in NYC this past Tuesday apparently hammered home the point even to those who have been against the new ECW. The feeling is that the crowd reaction this week made the show something special.

Yay....WWE is learning!

Interesting Joey Styles column this week. http://www.wwe.com/shows/ecw/commentary/styles/080306mep

Most Extreme Player for 8/3/06

By Joey Styles

August 3, 2006

This week's MEP is our newest ECW Extremist, CM Punk. While this follower of the drug and alcohol free straight-edge lifestyle may be new to ECW and WWE fans, I’ve been fortunate enough to follow his career for the past five years. For ten years total, CM Punk has been honing his craft in Japan and Europe as well as stealing the show in small regional wrestling promotions based in Pennsylvania and Tennessee. This young man should be a money player for years to come, being as much of an overachiever in the ring as he is in his social life. CM Punk is a perfect fit for the new ECW and would have been a perfect fit for the original ECW as well.

And that is the segue for this week's MEP runner-up: the ECW fans at New York's Hammerstein Ballroom in the Manhattan Center. If I had any authority (and I don't by the way), ECW would be live from the Hammerstein every week the same way WWE Monday Night RAW was at its inception. There is an energy and happiness I derive from working in midtown Manhattan that I simply cannot get from working anywhere else...not Philadelphia and not even WrestleMania. Manhattan is, in many ways, the center of the universe, and I feel that power. Sinatra sang it best; if you can make it there, you can make it anywhere, New York, New York.

The Hammerstein Ballroom was full of many original ECW fans, and they were very vocal about their displeasure with the Big Show vs. Batista main event. Contrary to popular belief, original ECW fans do not behave that way because nobody and nothing can please them. CM Punk and Kurt Angle received standing ovations upon their respective ring entrances, and a William Regal vs. Finlay main event would have as well.

The original ECW was about three styles of wrestling:

-Hardcore, featuring blood and barbed wire matches with the likes of Tommy Dreamer, Mick Foley, Sandman, Sabu and others.

-High Flying Lucha style, featuring the likes of Rob Van Dam, Rey Mysterio, Kid Kash, Super Crazy and others.

-Classic and Impactful Japanese styles, featuring the likes of Tazz, Chris Benoit, Dean Malenko, the late Eddie Guerrero and others.

The original ECW was never about the biggest and most powerful men in wrestling (like Big Show and Batista) muscling each other all over the arena; we knew that WWE did that style best and we wanted ECW to be different. That is not to say that any style is better or worse than the others. ECW was always about being different that WWE. When WWE zigged, ECW zagged. I think some original ECW fans are looking for more zagging than zigging in regards to ECW, RAW and SmackDown. To those fans I say please be patient; the new ECW is a work in progress. Rome wasn't built in a day and neither is a global entertainment brand. Let us take our time shaping the new ECW and perhaps this time around, the ECW brand may live forever.

Joey Styles

That would be awesome if they were live at Hammerstein every week or changed it up between there and Philly. If they do that, they should probably extend the show to 90 minutes though, as a two hour show with one hour of dark matches will be a tough sell to fill up the venue week in and week out.

A Finlay/Regal Extreme Rules matchup with an ECW crowd would be pretty awesome. Build it up for a little bit, give them, say, 15-20 minutes and let them go. Start off with the chain wrestling and let it build to both of them swinging away with whatever came to hand.

I'd be interested in hearing what Vince and Co thought of Punk's reaction...

I picture Vince seeing Punk walking down the hall and then telling one of his stooges, "Somebody needs to tell Kendrick he needs a shave."

"The internet fans don't mean anything, there are maybe 8 of them out there and their oppinion on the WWE product doesn't influence anything"

Or at least that's what HHH has been telling Vince for years ;)

"The internet fans don't mean anything, there are maybe 8 of them out there and their oppinion on the WWE product doesn't influence anything"

Or at least that's what HHH has been telling Vince for years ;)

Well in Trips defense he doesn't even know how to use a computer(according to what he said on Raw a few weeks ago) , computers are for geeks and the allmighty HHH is too DX cool for that.

I think it was last year that the story about HHH getting into newz sites came out.

Time flies.

I'd like to believe it and be excited, but I also know PWInsider tends to offer up smarkbait that isn't always 100% fact. I will hold off on the celebration until Meltzer says something.....

If those fans want to be a part of the way it was, they should remember the pops wrestlers like Scott Steiner, Rick Steiner, Brian Pillman, Rick Rude, Steve Austin, Sid Vicious, Bam Bam Bigelow and more got in ECW, AFTER they'd had success in WCW or WWF or both.

They were introduced with unique characters, and were by and large good workers, or at least worked really hard (Bigelow).

Sid's the anomaly here, but he showed up once a month, powerbombed and chokeslammed jobbers, and left.

Public Enemy, the Gangstas, Shane Douglas, Rhino, Eddie Guerrero, the Pit Bulls and all your favorites from a decade ago are not coming back

Yeah, it's not like there's a huge wealth of Indy talent that could be brought up.

you on here, most of you at least, need to quit acting like 12 year old junior high drama queens and just get over that fact.

Seems like most people enjoyed the show. And if you pay to go to an event you have the right to boo or cheer whomever you fucking want. When I go to Mariners/Yanks games, It's my right and privelige to boo the shit out of A-Rod. Your inability to accept this, and to label anyone who doesn't like a segment of a show as a whiner, is pretty silly.

After all, it would be a pretty boring board if it was just everyone saying how great everything is in WWE land.

Lastly, to whoever said that RVD's matches are Rolling thunder, Five Star:

You do realize that's because of the watered down style the WWE encourages, right? RVD was never a GREAT wrestler, but he was exciting, and had plenty of decent transition moves. Two I can specifically remember are a butterfly suplex and a northern lights suplex. And he had all kinds of goofy kicks and flying moves. Hell, I can't remember the last time he used his awesome split-leg moonsault in the WWE.

Plus, the Van Daminator used to make a lot more sense, as Fonzie used to hold the chair up to a stunned opponent most of the time.

Oh, and P.S: I'd love to see Dean Malenko as someone's manager in WWECW.

If those fans want to be a part of the way it was, they should remember the pops wrestlers like Scott Steiner, Rick Steiner, Brian Pillman, Rick Rude, Steve Austin, Sid Vicious, Bam Bam Bigelow and more got in ECW, AFTER they'd had success in WCW or WWF or both.

Scott Steiner was in ECW?

Lastly, to whoever said that RVD's matches are Rolling thunder, Five Star:

You do realize that's because of the watered down style the WWE encourages, right? RVD was never a GREAT wrestler, but he was exciting, and had plenty of decent transition moves. Two I can specifically remember are a butterfly suplex and a northern lights suplex. And he had all kinds of goofy kicks and flying moves. Hell, I can't remember the last time he used his awesome split-leg moonsault in the WWE.

Plus, the Van Daminator used to make a lot more sense, as Fonzie used to hold the chair up to a stunned opponent most of the time.

Oh, and P.S: I'd love to see Dean Malenko as someone's manager in WWECW.

Van Damis matches were getting better from ONS up until he got suspended. He sure as fuck wasn't the "old" RVD, but he was doing better then he had in years.

And I'm all for Malenko managing a guy in ECW. Gunner Scott would be good, I think.

I'd like to believe it and be excited, but I also know PWInsider tends to offer up smarkbait that isn't always 100% fact. I will hold off on the celebration until Meltzer says something.....

Did someone go over and poison the water at WWE headquarters? For once they seem to be making decisions that make sense!

"Scott Steiner, Rick Steiner, Brian Pillman, Rick Rude, Steve Austin, Sid Vicious, Bam Bam Bigelow"

Between the 7 of them, they had approx. 2 good matches. Taz/Bam Bam I and Austin/Mikey.

Steiners were there for like 2 months if that, and were never pushed into the title scene. Fans were actually indifferent to the Steiners and cared WAY more for Mikey/Cactus, 2 Gold/Sandman, Public Enemy, and the like.

Pillman did nothing.

Rude did nothing.

Austin did nothing, short of 2 big matches.

Sid did nothing.

Bigelow's only good pops came from his opponents - 1)throwing Spike into the crowd. 2)Bumping Tazz through the ring. 3)Pinning Shane the Shits Douglas for World Title in a "WTF?" moment.

Show with the hat is classic.

What's he saying in that? "From the bottom of my heart, don't kiss my ass" ?? Or something else?

"Seriously guys, From the bottom of my heart....you can all kiss my ass."

Batista was lost, he didn't know how to react to something like that.

Cena did so much better in that environment, as did Randy Orton. And Flair, and Taker, and mofuckin' Kane.

They were filming the Tron for a while, and it was still airing the shit, so WWE has it recorded, think they'll play it?

Also, I think I caught Batista saying," I am never fuckin' coming back to this place" when there's an extreme close-up on his face.

And those fans trying to start shit, jumpin the rail? They're lucky they didn't make it past security. Show and Batista would have fucked niggas up.

They might make use of the footage. There's an article on WWE.com about Batista's reaction to the fans and they also mention that even Show was booed by his own "ECW faithful."