TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

The Ballad of Ricky Bobby

I've never found Will Ferrell to be funny. Why do I feel that every year we're gonna have a new "Will Ferrell as a ________" movie.

He plays a figure skater in the upcoming Blades of Glory, which sounds hilarious.

I worked on it at my job. Ben Stiller has some involvement production wise, although I'm not 100 percent sure but he may be directing it. Jon Heder (Napoleon) is in it and Coach himself and the voice of Mr. Incredible will be in it. Plus the black dude from 40 year old virgin. It looks bad from the production dailies I get at my job, but thats not saying much (Oceans 13 looks bad but it's got Pacino in it, so you never know until the final cut comes out). Still haven't seen the finished product.

Guest Princess Leena

I share Slayer's thoughts.

Except, I liked Ferrell, whereas Rob Schneider was always horribly unfunny.

Ben Stiller's one of the producers, it's co-directed by Josh Gordon and Will Speck. It has a hilarious plot, and like most of Ferrell's movies a great cast.

I saw this flick earlier today, and I give it two thumbs up. I'd go as far to say that it was funny as hell. It made me laugh and entertained me, so I can't complain about anything. There really isn't much more to say other than that. If you like "Will Ferrell comedies" then you'll like this one. The entire Nascar deal is just the package that the Ferrell comedy is wrapped in, so it doesn't matter if you are into Nascar or not. On the other hand, if you hate Will Ferrell, then I doubt you'll get much out of it.

You know what you're getting into when you go to see this one.

The only downside to Will Ferrell is that he's not unlike Jim Carrey. Over the years, Jim Carrey got to the point where people started referring to his flicks as "Jim Carrey films", I'm sure you know what I mean by that. To get out of that he started a string of different types of flicks like The Truman Show, Man On the Moon, The Majestic, and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Sure, he's had a few "Jim Carrey comedies" tossed into that string somewhat (although most have been way tamed down), but he realized that he really needed to do something to keep that tag from being set in stone, and if you ask me it worked. Will Ferrell is in the same sort of situation that Jim Carrey was a few years ago. I think that Ferrell's Stranger Than Fiction will be his first step towards doing the same thing that Carrey did. I guess time will tell if he will be as successful.

I was really disappointed here. I think being a NASCAR fan hurts the movie. Not in the "boo they're making fun of us" sense. But being a fan kills the whole advertising/product placement joke, which is half the movie it seems. Sad as it may sound they don't come anywhere closing to the sponsor whoring that real drivers do and it hurts the idea of it being a satire. Notwithstanding the one Powerade nod which was funny.

But when the real drivers shamelessly guzzle a coke as soon as they hop out of a car, when they crash they have a hat in the car to immediately put on and any Michael Waltrip interview ever, just throwing up logos doesn't really resonate as mocking the product placement.

Jean Girard was a one note character that wore out in a hurry. And I may be alone in this one, but Walker and Texas Ranger were the same. The last part with the daddy stuff just felt so plodding. There were some funny parts, but they were mostly given away in the trailer (cougar, being on fire, names of the sons).

One positive note: Jesus christ Leslie Bibb was a fucking knockout in this one.

Wasn't quite as funny as I thought it would be, but I still laughed quite a bit. There were a lot of quotable lines, though, that I'll probably end up using, like 'I do love fig newtons', that no one but me will find funny.

They played the Borat trailer, too, and that got some good laughs.

Saw it today and loved it. Lots of amusing stuff spread out throughout the film, with at least three moments that had me laughing heartily out loud for a solid minute or more.

The trailer for the film DOES have quite a few scenes that weren't in the final film, so I guess we'll have to wait for the DVD for those.

Also, stick around for a bit of the ending credits, as for the first few minutes they show different takes on certain scenes, along with a few outtakes.

Overall, pretty damn entertaining film. I was surprised by John Reilly and Michael Clarke Duncan, as they both did pretty well in comedic roles

Saw it in a jam-packed theater. I wasn't expecting a lot and those expectations were met. Not great, but not bad. I couldn't get too into the whole NASCAR theme, so that probably hurt, but there were a lot of jokes that just didn't go over well. The kids were more irritating than funny.

But there were still a lot of solid bits throughout the movie, even though I noticed certain audience members laughed hysterically at the oddest moments. Even in a packed house, the reaction was mellow, except for certain people, who reacted like the bits were comedic gold.

At any rate, I'd toss it in the middle of the Ferrell pack. Better than Bewitched and maybe Kicking & Screaming, but not up to snuff with Old School and Anchorman.

Better than Kicking and Screaming? and you only thought it was ok?

Am I the only one who thought Kicking and Screaming was fucking hilarious in every way?

I hated Kicking and Screaming. To me it just felt like yet another shitty "kids in sports with a wacky coach" flick. I just about like Bewitched better than that one.

Overall, pretty damn entertaining film. I was surprised by John Reilly and Michael Clarke Duncan, as they both did pretty well in comedic roles

Oh, mr. Duncan is not done with comedies. Catch him in School for Scoundrels when it comes out.

Guest guerillagenius

I really like the part where he had the knife in his leg, and instead of pulling it out Michael Clark Duncan says "let's use another knife to pry it out". That was hilarious.

I really like the part where he had the knife in his leg, and instead of pulling it out Michael Clark Duncan says "let's use another knife to pry it out". That was hilarious.

I actually cringed during that part.

One of the more simple, but quotable lines I just remembered: If you don't chew Big Red, *BLEEP* you.

The outtakes and deleted scenes during the credits were fun to watch. You wonder how these people can make it through such funny scenes without cracking up, so it's always interesting to see outtakes where they can't.

To me the movie looked like an extended SNL skit with Fred saying nothing but "Ric-kay Boob-e" , Chris Parnell saying nothing but "Shake N Bake" and Will as George W. as a NASCAR driver. And I am going to boycott Applebee's from now on!

It was pretty good. Not as funny as "Anchorman" but it had a much better story. Michael Clarke Duncan and Amy Adams were really good in there roles. The Greg Germann/Molly Shannon stuff was stupid; why couldn't we have gotten more scenes with Champ Kind instead? I laughed the most at the aforementioned scene of Duncan getting another knife to pry the knife out, Jean Girard saying that he wanted to go back to France to design a currency for cats and dogs to use, and Ricky Bobby screaming about Tom Cruise's witchcraft powers.

The only downside to Will Ferrell is that he's not unlike Jim Carrey. Over the years, Jim Carrey got to the point where people started referring to his flicks as "Jim Carrey films", I'm sure you know what I mean by that. To get out of that he started a string of different types of flicks like The Truman Show, Man On the Moon, The Majestic, and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Sure, he's had a few "Jim Carrey comedies" tossed into that string somewhat (although most have been way tamed down), but he realized that he really needed to do something to keep that tag from being set in stone, and if you ask me it worked. Will Ferrell is in the same sort of situation that Jim Carrey was a few years ago. I think that Ferrell's Stranger Than Fiction will be his first step towards doing the same thing that Carrey did. I guess time will tell if he will be as successful.

Ferrell already has a couple more toward that direction, being Melinda and Melinda, as well as Winter Passing. I enjoyed both films. Stranger Than Fiction looks good, but I did not see that trailer before Ricky Bobby, I saw it before My Super Ex-Girlfriend. I caught the movie opening night and the ones in my theater were: Gridiron Gang, Tenacious D, Borat and Rocky Balboa. I think the whole theater groaned during Rocky. Borat looks amazing though, I was excited for that one and glad to see Tenacious D, because I love them, just the trailer was not as funny as Borat. Beefest and Gridiron I've seen a few times apiece.

I enjoyed the movie, but still like Anchorman better, although one of my friends tried to debate me against that.

One thing that just out of nowhere bugged me. When I saw the trailer for the first time on HDNet earlier this year, the title was "Talladega Nights: The Legend of Ricky Bobby" Obviously they changed it so not to be so similar to Anchorman's full title.

As for the attatched trailers, I had seen Borat on HDNet before but the one before Talladega was funnier. It still looks like a rental though.

And someone told me they are doing Old School 2..hmm

Ferrell already has a couple more toward that direction, being Melinda and Melinda, as well as Winter Passing. I enjoyed both films. Stranger Than Fiction looks good, but I did not see that trailer before Ricky Bobby, I saw it before My Super Ex-Girlfriend.

This is true, but it isn't like Melinda and Melinda or Winter Passing really made any sort of impact. Not the kind that he really needs anyway. I didn't see the STF trailer before Ricky Bobby either, I saw it before MSEG just like you.

I think he'll end up shocking people just like Jim Carrey has done time and time again, but he needs to do so in something a bit more mainstream before it really matters.

Hit it over the weekend. It was a fun little romp, I'd see it again if a buddy wanted to go.

Maybe it's just me, but the two kids running by after being dropped off at Sunday School screaming ANARCHY!!! cracked me up big time.

I was really disappointed. Huge fan of everything Judd Apatow does, love Ali G (no Borat trailer for me, damn) and generally a big fan of Will Ferrell.

I really didn't think the movie was very funny. The knife in the leg and the 'I'm on fire!' scenes were the only ones that really cracked me up.

Sacha Baron Cohen didn't have much to work with, just a silly accent. The product placement gag wasn't funny at all, and the stuff with the dad REALLY dragged.

Much like Bruce Almighty, the outtakes made me laugh more than the entire movie.

Stranger than Fiction looks great, though.

Pretty hilarious movie. Will Ferrell, John C. Reilly, Gary Cole, and Sacha Baron Cohen were all in absolute fine form. I also actually found Molly Shannon to be hilarious as well, which is a first. I usually find her totally annoying. All of the supporting "serious" characters were really terrible. Meaning Amy Adams (who had one good scene at the end), Michael Clarke Duncan (who was just plain awful), and whoever played that villain guy. Man he sucked. The movie just had a tendency to take itself too seriously at times. But I was laughing quite hard throughout a good portion of this movie. I recommend it, but it's definitely not as good as Anchorman which is a fucking classic.

I thought it was really funny, even though comedies longer then 90 minutes tend to drag, and this one did.

Better then Anchorman, but not as good as 40 Year Old Virgin. John C O'Reilly was hilarious

What the fuck was up with the American flag background at the end? It lasted all of one five second shot, but that was out of place enough to notice amongst all the other marketing whoring going on.

It was hilarious, though the second you remembered you were watching a movie it became very not hilarious. If that makes any sense. Modern comedies just seem to have characters that float around and do funny stuff, but damned if you care about any of 'em.