TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest TysonTomko420

Comments which don't warrant a thread

Um, putting Sabu and Angle in the Title picture is the best thing they could do at this point given the circumstances. No satisfying some pepole.

Considering that Smackdown JUST finished coming out of a massive roster-slimming disaster with liver enzymes and whatever else they blamed it on, isn't having the entire ECW main event scene filled with people at risk to either seriously injure themselves or others just ASKING for trouble?

The best thing they could have done safety-wise was have a RAW run-in to fill up a few main events while Angle recovers as much as he is capable of (which would be like, 30% or so of his former self), keep Sabu in his "I want a title shot and Heyman won't give me one" role, and give Van Dam some cannon fodder to mow through on his run back to the belt.

Instead, they're putting the future of ECW's main event scene on a giant who's reckless, about as un-over a champion as you'll find, not to mention the fact that he plain doesn't give a shit; a guy who regularly jumps off of stuff onto other stuff while wielding/throwing chairs around like some psychotic furniture salesman; and a guy who is about one bad landing away from being completely paralyzed.

And your point? ECW needs to get rid of the cross over crap. Big Show facing guys from Raw and Smackdown wasn't helping. It only helped with Flair and that was it. The only people on the ECW roster who can look like serious threats to the title are the guy who jumps off stuff while wielding and throwing chairs, a guy who can be paralyzed by a bad landing (then again who can't when you land wrong?), and RVD. Everyone else on the ECW roster is not a threat to Big Show.

Whose fault is that? Have Show give non-title matches to Balls, to Justin Credible, to either-sized Guido, to the vampire, to the freakin zombie for all I care. Angle and Sabu are main eventers and will remain main-event caliber no matter who they face, so why put them in the title picture (especially considering the fragility of each man and how devastating it'd be to have one go down in a major feud for the title) when you can use them elsewhere and have the title picture elevate other, younger, safer, less physically frail talent?

Balls, Credible and Guido are not main eventers, at least not anymore. High-profile feuds with main eventers like Angle and Sabu and RVD need to be used at the top of the card to establish the title before you can start to elevate young guys. If a title is worthless, it doesn't elevate anybody by putting them into a program with it. And they also need to keep ratings strong enough that the brand's TV deal is extended beyond the original 12 week deal. In all probability, Balls Mahoney vs Big Show for a belt with no lineage will not do that.

--There is a ton of media today over the re-release of a Wake Forest study from 1999 and 2000 which cited teenagers that watch pro wrestling on TV are more likely to have violent and anti-social behavior than non-wrestling fans. To say WWE is furious over this being released today is an understatement. I don't even understand what the deal is. I wrote extensively about this when the survey was done, and it is now years later and a completely different era so I don't understand what makes it news today. The reason it is in the news today is because Pediatrics magazine wrote a story on the survey, done among 2,000 students in Winston-Salem, NC, that came out today. Robert DuRant, a professor at Wake Forest, who is behind the survey defended the data as not being dated because, "If you look at the Neilsen ratings on cable TV, over the years, they have not changed." Yep, no changes at all since 1999 and 2000 for wrestling. DuRant claimed the survey showed that wrestling teachers teenagers it is okay to use violence to resolve conflicts and that beating up women is acceptable behavior, and that parents who think watching wrestling as being harmless fun need to realize how it shapes their kids. CNN today covered hte story saying teenagers who were wrestling fans were more likely to start fights while on a date, drink alcohol and carry weapons. Fox News Network this morning said the survey showed kids who watch wrestling tend to be the worst students in school and more likely to wind up in jail, and that in particular, teenage girls who watch wrestling are more likely to beat up their boyfriends or other girls. Brian Kilmeade (former UFC announcer) said his favorite wrestlers growing up were Bruno Sammartino, Ivan Putski and Ivan Koloff while Steve Doocey said his favorite was the Mongolian Stomper.

I'm told in the WWE office today, they are going so nuts about this coming out and its potential effect on advertisers they've actually talked about filing a lawsuit against the magazine. The story is Vince is on the warpath. He and Tatanka both. Unless they've got a smoking gun like a discernable example that there are lies (which they had against Brent Bozell, who had a winning argument against the company but just got carried away in lying that he left himself wide open to a libel suit and in the end had to settle out of court and tuck his tail between his legs), any lawsuit will only call more attention to the survey. While this will not hurt ratings or attendance, more attention to this, particularly right now, will not help them in the advertising community. (thanks to Jay Reddick, Gene Loftesness, Daniel Lark, Steve Khan and many others)

--The company's public response, through Gary Davis, is "In contrast to the findings of this flawed study, many of our fans attest that watching World Wrestling Entertainment programming has been a positive experience for them and their children. More than half of these parents consider watching our programs with their children as important family time." WWE people have no clue how the general public reading that quote will react, do they? That quote alone is almost an indictment of their fan base, which is the last thing they need to be doing right now.

--WWE just put up on the wires the reaction from Vince McMahon: "We regret that this seven year old junk science was re-issued. It was junk science then, and is junk science now. It took them seven years to get somenoe to actually read it and it hasnt' even been subjected to a peer review. There is nothing new in the study, and we think it is recycled garbage put forward by an obscure professor who finally got someone to read his paper and is trying to get his name in the media."

Lesson for the day we learned studying politics:

When you have facts on your side, you argue facts. When you don't have facts on your side, you name call.

--It is an old study and I spoke to DuRant at length when it came out five years ago and it was covered heavily in the news at that time. It's not junk science, but I do believe the survey was flawed in that it's a chicken/egg argument. Does wrestling lead people to being more violent, or are the types of people who gravitate toward pro wrestling, on average, inherently more violent to begin with. Also, as opposed to singling out pro wrestling, how are these results different from watching action movies on television or the movies, teenagers who watch the NFL, boxing or NHL, which are also violent sports? I don't know the answers because those comparisons are not made. Also, this was done in a very different time period, where wrestling was far more popular among teenagers and society was different as well. It is dated material today.

Wrestling fans who love a good promo love the name calling. In the real world, that stuff makes you look bad with the kneejerk reactions.

-Meltzer

Funny parts are bolded.

"CNN today covered hte story saying teenagers who were wrestling fans were more likely to start fights while on a date, drink alcohol and carry weapons. Fox News Network this morning said the survey showed kids who watch wrestling tend to be the worst students in school and more likely to wind up in jail, and that in particular, teenage girls who watch wrestling are more likely to beat up their boyfriends or other girls."

That's the best part. I'm happy to know that I can blame Vince Mcmahon for my ex-drinking problem, the need to pack a gun, spending a few nights in lock-up, and starting fights with assholes.

Fuck.

"teenage girls who watch wrestling are more likely to beat up their boyfriends or other girls."

CC, I'm looking at you. ;)

Bischoff's keeping busy.

Nation's Fastest-Growing Independent Energy Drink, Socko Energy Announces Partnership With World Wrestling Entertainment, Inc. Licensing and Promotional Partnership Between WWE® and Socko Energy Gives Way to New Products and Growth (August 08, 2006)

LOS ANGELES , Aug. 8 /PRNewswire/ -- Continuing the brand's move toward gaining increased exposure throughout the U.S., Socko Energy today announced that it has formed a multi-year licensing and promotions partnership with World Wrestling Entertainment, Inc. (NYSE: WWE).

The deal will yield new products including a limited edition "RAW® Attitude Powered By Socko" as well as quarterly collectors' edition promotional cans featuring WWE Pay-Per-View branded names including "SummerSlam® Energy Powered By Socko" and "Wrestlemania® Energy Powered By Socko," among others. Each of the WWE promotional cans will be made available through Socko's existing and expanding distribution network.

"When it comes to branding, no one does it better than WWE. We're thrilled to partner with WWE as 'RAW' and 'SMACKDOWN' are two of the most popular and exciting entertainment brands today," said Mike Jannicelli, vice president Bliss Beverage. "Not only will this deal harness the power we already have with consumers and take that excitement to the next level, but a partnership of this magnitude will position the company for future growth."

Entertainment and marketing company Bischoff-Hervey Entertainment (BHE TV, LLC), responsible for branding Socko on a global level through non-traditional, entertainment-based marketing initiatives, approached WWE's Florence Di Giorgio to develop a partnership between Socko and WWE.

"We look forward to this very exciting product launch and partnership with entertainment powerhouse WWE," said Eric Bischoff , a 20 year veteran of the sports entertainment industry. "The demographics and buying power of the WWE audience, combined with their passion for the WWE's RAW brand, make this one of the most exciting licensing opportunities we could bring to Socko."

Still doing deals with everyone's favorite Wonder Years alumnus.

For the love of god, we HAVE to see Mr. Socko drinking that shit on air at some point.

My mom told me Hulk Hogan was on Regis and Kelly this morning.

I have no idea what he talked about, but I'm sure he was pimping his show, Brooke's CD, and SS.

Guest Human Highlight Reel

Well, I guess we know why Hogan really couldn't make it to last night's Raw.

Lack of exciting matches. There's been about 1 very good match the entire run so far. Angle/RVD.

And, what exactly is the problem with Test? What he's done so far, he's done well. And although, I'm not an 'ECW faithful' I am sure that there were plenty of big 'Enforcer type hosses' in the initial ECW run. And if I remember correctly, everyone in ECW was NOT a wrestling expertise. So what's the problem? Simply because he's a "WWE guy"?

I really don't see what's so bad about him, even in ECW. I think he's done great so far.

Have you SEEN his matches? Calling it great is laughable

The problem with Test in ECW is this.

ECW was always established as an alternative to WWE. Yes, you had your hosses such as 911 who sucked, but they were still ECW guys.

Test is seen as a WWE guy on a WWE-ized version of ECW. He's not a wrestler, not a high flyer, not a good brawler, and he doesn't have tits, so he's of no use to ECW fans.

Bring in someone of a similar build with any decent amount of ability, and ECW might take to him. But hell, even WWE fans never took to Test, so why should ECW fans?

Tons of cool shit.

Forever Hardcore The Documentary, ONS 1 and 2, 15 Manias, Punk vs Joe Trilogy, Hardcore Homecoming, Hardcore Homecoming 2 - November Reign, All Royal Rumble Matches, plus some more shit.

wow thanks man! good post!

Frankly, I'm surprised they didn't put Test on Smackdown, since that is the show truly in need of warm bodies right now. They could've had him come in and feud with someone Bobby Lashley or something. Sure, the matches would suck, but at least its a matchup that makes some sense.

Lack of exciting matches. There's been about 1 very good match the entire run so far. Angle/RVD.

And, what exactly is the problem with Test? What he's done so far, he's done well. And although, I'm not an 'ECW faithful' I am sure that there were plenty of big 'Enforcer type hosses' in the initial ECW run. And if I remember correctly, everyone in ECW was NOT a wrestling expertise. So what's the problem? Simply because he's a "WWE guy"?

I really don't see what's so bad about him, even in ECW. I think he's done great so far.

Have you SEEN his matches? Calling it great is laughable

Have you seen Balls Mahoney's matches? (Someone who people think deserve some kind of push, since he's an ECW guy) His matches haven't really been that spectacular either. Same goes with majority of the matches. Not to mention I didn't say his matches were great, I said what he's done so far has been great. As to say that he's done this 'Paul Heymans enforce/Anti-ECW' thing well. I think he's done, and has the chance of doing better then any other random mid-card act the WWE could have had the idea to put in this place. ( Imagine Charlie Haas, Snitsky, Masters...yea, I'm pretty much just going down WWE.coms roster, and couldnt' really find anyone on SD lol, but you get the point)

And if the main problem is that he is a "WWE guy" well..you can't really have an anti-ECW, ECW guy, or if you do it comes off looking sort of horrible like that Devito skit in the beginning. Albeit the preacher thing had a bit to do with making that even worse. I just think he hasn't done bad in his role so far, other then his over-excited not being able to talk in that backstage promo with Knox, but then again, that's just me.

Not to mention I didn't say his matches were great, I said what he's done so far has been great

His matches with Al Snow and Dreamer were awful. All he's done since then is just be an "enforcer" type. He hasn't been great.

Guest nokia

from pwinsider.com

WWE has announced that Batista will challenge WWE World champion King Booker at Summerslam next weekend.

This is something I've always wanted to ask everyone out here.

Survivor Series 1997. Basically, to the Americans, how did you view the main event?

Was it heel vs. heel? face vs. heel? or heck, face vs. face?

I know Bret was getting some pops from the crowd only because they hated Shawn so much yet I saw some cheers for DX along the way as well.

In Canada it was simple, with Bret as a face and Shawn as a heel, but I've never really gotten an answer as to how you Americans viewed it.

It was heel vs. heel for the regular fans, but to smart fans, it was the kind of like the "impossible" match that everyone had been waiting for. Still heel vs. heel, though. I preferred Bret.

The real reason Hogan wasn't at Raw:

24783189.jpg

Theres your WrestleMania 23 Match!

BOOK IT!

It'd be worth it just to hear JR saying "Pikachu"