TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ragingfear79

Wii

Got the Wii today. Boy is the system ever small. EB Games doesn't have any component cables until the 28th, even though they said the 23rd last week, so I'm stuck with blurry fun time gaming until then :( Wii sports is pretty fun, even though it's very primitive. Boxing is the only one that doesn't seem so good, just because it's difficult to control well. Now I am about to start TP, hurrah.

I estimate the wired adapter will be $30-$50. Most likely $30. In contrast, I bought a wireless router a YEAR ago for $20.

Nintendo has it down for 24.99 and will start selling it online in Jan.

I estimate the wired adapter will be $30-$50. Most likely $30. In contrast, I bought a wireless router a YEAR ago for $20.

Okay, what brand and where'd you get it from? Last time I looked wireless routers were like 80.

You don't have to keep an open network, right? The Wii can just look for the encrypted network with the network name and password, right?

I'd have to probably use the defaults, as I have no wireless cards in my computers, and I'd just keep wired ethernet for everything else.

Guest Princess Leena

You can find Linksys ones online for like $20-30. Of course, if you buy the cheap ones, performance will likely suffer unless you're in a small, one-story house.

Like I said, I'd only be using it for gaming and only the Wii / DS immediately.

Since the current router is only about 20 feet away on the same floor, with a single thin wall, I'm not too worried about that.

My wireless router was like $30 over two years ago, and works great for both DS and Wii. I primarily play in the basement and the router is a floor up. Never had any problems.

Guest Princess Leena

You'd probably be better off waiting for the ethernet adapter. If you don't absolutely need to go wireless, don't do it. And since there's no online games by January, I wouldn't bother.

Okay, what brand and where'd you get it from? Last time I looked wireless routers were like 80.

You don't have to keep an open network, right? The Wii can just look for the encrypted network with the network name and password, right?

I'd have to probably use the defaults, as I have no wireless cards in my computers, and I'd just keep wired ethernet for everything else.

My router is a Linksys BEFW11S4v4. I got it from some doof on Craigslist for $20. It's obsolete by now; it only does b, not g. I got it primarily for my DS, which is a b device, not a g.

The Wii supports WEP and WPA for encryption, so you're fine there. The DS only does WEP though, so I only have WEP set on my router.

But if you don't care about Wii shop or sending messages to Wii friends at 2 AM, or the upcoming Forecast or News channels, etc etc, then there's no need for anything.

The thing to think about is that if you buy a Wii LAN adapter, it'll cost $30 and it's only good for the Wii. If you buy a wireless router for the same price, then all of a sudden you've got wireless, and someday down the road you might find you need it for some reason, and you'll be glad you got it.

Guest FlapjackPetey ShoeMuffins
Anyone taken a jump on an Ethernet-to-USB adapter to see if that works?

Most the ones I see online run about $30.

They work. I'm using a compact one, like this:

33-124-122-05.JPG

I picked up a Lexar SD card to back up my data, in case when I update it bricks my console (small chance that it is).

Problem is, that my SD card isn't recognized. It's a Lexar 1 GB, but all standard SD cards should work. Help?

EDIT: The nintendo site says you have to do a software update. Bah, catch 22.

I'll go router hunting.

EDIT: Found a cheap belkin wireless. It's like half the size of my old linksys wired. Attempting setup now...success! Updating the Wii, and will post my Wii number in a few minutes.

Am I....the only person here who has now failed three times to get a Wii? I was home for Thanksgiving, so I went to our Wal*Mart Friday morning. Not only did they not have any Wiis, they hadn't had any since the 19th, and I was told they're only getting nine in between now and Christmas. And when those nine make it to the store, they'll never know until they get there. I went to Best Buy this morning and again missed a Wii by about five people.

.....I will buy a used Wii for $100, though. That sounds fair.

Guest Princess Leena

I failed twice, but they were half-ass attempts to get one at Target and Best Buy around the time they opened. I refuse to do the camping out shit, or waiting near a store for hours before it opens.

I just want a Wii by 13 December, and I'm hoping they'll be easier to get by then...

I've tried three times now myself. I failed on pre-order because they were taking anymore at my favorite store and now they apparently have a waiting list. I also tried going to get one early one morning but only found out that the shipment was delayed at the one store.

And the third time I screwed myself out of it, instead of going directly to the future shop in the mall, went over to the local bookshop and stayed for 25 minutes chatting it up with some friends. If I had arrived right when I got to the mall, I would've had a brand new Wii because they apparently had one stuck underneath all the Xbox 360s they received as they didn't even know they had it till they were cleaning up the back.

To say I feel like an idiot right now is something.

Guest Princess Leena
If Gamestop says they're getting a shipment between Tuesday and Friday, when would you guys thinkthey're getting them?

No one may say "between Tuesday and Friday".

All stores are different. The former EB I used to go to often always got most of their console shipments on Wednesdays.

The only way you can know is by calling the stores, and hoping you get an employee who 1) cares enough to answer your question, and 2) knows enough to answer your question.

My roommate got a Wii...and four controllers, all with the nunchuk. Yet he never has people over to the apartment. I'm wondering about him.

One of the reasons I never bothered with extra controllers, especially how expensive it gets buying both parts.

Joystiq had a misleading post about $7 component cables, but they're from China or something and with shipping its almost as expensive as official cables shipped from Nintendo..

I dont think so.

Guest Princess Leena

Eek... that's a waste. 3 extra of all of those adds up to $180.

Plus, for anyone who wants extra Wiimotes, you can wait until Wii Play comes out in January. I think it's $49.99, and it comes with a free Wiimote.

yeah, I'll probably just break out the phone book and call every Best Buy, Walmart, Target, Shopko etc. etc. til I find one.

Same. The only bad thing is that you'll have to get there right as store opening to have any shot. And I'm not skipping work just to try finding a Wii.

yeah, I'll probably just break out the phone book and call every Best Buy, Walmart, Target, Shopko etc. etc. til I find one.

Same. The only bad thing is that you'll have to get there right as store opening to have any shot. And I'm not skipping work just to try finding a Wii.

yeah that's pretty much like me...if they have one by the time I get off, great...if not, well it just wasn't meant to be!

I snagged Rayman tonight and it's quite awesome! The humor, the visuals, and the mini-games make for a great game. Like Xplay said in their review its basically a demo machine for the Wii. Highly recommended if you like social games. :headbang:

Downloaded Bonk's Adventure. It's a fun little game mos def. Although during the course of headbonking the hell out of baddies, I found the Wiimote has a slight annoyance when used as a sideways controller: the B-button. If you don't hold it right, you may accidentally press B now and then. it's a shame that there doesn't seem to be a feature to rotate the d-pad functions. It would have been kind of cool to try to play it one-handed.