TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ragingfear79

Wii

I've been neglecting my Wii for far too long now. I've had it for nearly a year and only own Mario Party and Zelda. With my 21st birthday and the end of university both rapidly approaching it's time I invested in some new games.

With that in mind, what are the indispensable games to get?

I've been neglecting my Wii for far too long now. I've had it for nearly a year and only own Mario Party and Zelda. With my 21st birthday and the end of university both rapidly approaching it's time I invested in some new games.

With that in mind, what are the indispensable games to get?

Mario Galaxy

Smash Bros. Brawl

No More Heroes

Zack and Wiki

Add Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles and Mario Kart to that and you have a solid list.

Also, Umbrella Chronicles did nothing for me. Scoring a headshot with the Wii Remote was so cool on RE4 but on UC it just feels unsatisfying. You don't feel like you're making contact, you know? And that Zapper is nothing special. I actually liked it the first time I played Crossbow Training with it, but I decided to dig that game out again this week after not playing it for 4 months and after I got through the first couple of levels I was like "Fuck, this thing is horrible" and just played the rest of the game with the standard Remote/Nunchuk setup. I doubt I'll ever get around to finishing Umbrella Chronicles.

I'm excited about Mad World since it seems to be in the No More Heroes/God Hand vein, and it's freakin' Clover reborn making it.

I thought Umbrella Chronicles was okay--I rented it and played with wiichuck, FWIW, but didn't really feel the need to buy it. It's really long for a rail shooter, but I felt Ghost Squad was a better rail shooter (which, I'd say throw onto the list if you like the genre, but it's super short).

Ghost Squad is pretty awesome and I do play it more than UC, but I still enjoyed the hell out of the game (despite not being able to get through the RE3 missions).

FWIW, don't play it with the zapper, it's better with just the mote and nunchuck.

Yeah I'm having fun with Ghost Squad as well...I don't get the Zapper hate here. Different strokes for different folks I guess?

No I actually like the zapper, it's awesome on Crossbow Training and Ghost Squad. Just not for RE:UC.

I haven't really played anything on my Wii since Mario Galaxy. And now I see all this Wiiware stuff, and lots of new virtual console bits since. What should I be looking at for some quickie online purchases?

LostWinds is the only must-buy Wii Ware game so far.

As for Virtual Console, there hasn't been much released in the last six months that's caught my attention. Except Star Tropics. You have to get Star Tropics. Everyone should play Star Tropics.

LostWinds is the only must-buy Wii Ware game so far.

As for Virtual Console, there hasn't been much released in the last six months that's caught my attention. Except Star Tropics. You have to get Star Tropics. Everyone should play Star Tropics.

Alexander Lucard's retro review of that game completely destroys it, and my memories of the game don't hold up, in my opinion.

Star Tropics was my favorite game growing up... I probably have to buy that one.

As for WiiWare - I really enjoy My Life as A King. It's the strangest game in the sense that you never really feel like you're doing anything great but you just can't stop playing. "Oooh, I can build a park now. Might as well play another day." And then it's 25 days later.

Did anyone grab Star Soldier R off of WiiWare? At first I wasn't so sure about the time based nature of it (ie: score as much as you can in either 2 minutes or 5 minutes) but it's actually a really fun shooter. Hectic and crazy, but still fun. I am a mark for shooters though.

Looks like a fun little game.

I have become majorly addicted to the Final Fantasy WiiWare game... it's almost crazy how much you want to keep doing "one more day."

And now with Wii Fit I think I'm tied up from any new games for awhile.

I decided to buy about $15 worth of the extra DLC for "My Life As a King" and then I set the difficulty to very hard. The one purchased dungeon is level 100 so this is going to take awhile.

I received Boom Blox as a birthday present the other week. It's a fun game, except that the Wii can barely run it on some levels. The frame rate gets killed and the system sounds like it's going to die from exhaustion.

The Wii itself has been so unreliable for me. It often has trouble simply booting games. Other times, the games will boot, but the load times will be out of wack. When I first played the new Mario Kart, I thought I was playing a Sega CD game with the long load times. After taking the game out and restarting, it played fine. I just read that the system is prone to problems with dust, but I'm fastidious about keeping my stuff clean. Weaksauce.

I think you have a problem with your Wii. I bearly dust mine (I'm lazy) and I've never had any problems like that.

They really need to sort out something with the Wii memory soon. It's the biggest reason as to why I haven't bought any WiiWare games yet and haven't bought any VC games in months. I haven't even downloaded the Nintendo Channel yet because it would leave me with 57 blocks. Even if they don't bring out a harddrive, but implemented a system where they format and encode an SD card to only work with that Wii, but in turn be flash memory for the main console it would be fine. A 2gig card would probbaly cover everything you'd need.

Hopefully there would be some announcement at E3.

I've just started to run out of space. I can't download the Nintendo Channel because I need 50 more blocks than I have. But with 16 or so VC games, I've only myself to blame.

Guest Smues

Dump some excess games that you don't play much onto an SD card. Or delete channels you don't use.

I just found out that Toki Tori is available on Wii Ware, so you should all know it's a great game and you should go d/l it since you all ignored it when I plugged it on Game Boy Color.

I got it, too.