TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Hotbutter Spoontoaster

OAO ECW on Sci-Fi Thread - October/3rd/2006.

RVD/Test was not as good as RVD/Holly. It was decent and had some nice spots, but was way too overbooked down the stretch with the security and Show. And that top rope flying con-chair-to should've been the finish. I have a very high tolerance for suspension disbelief in wrestling, and I didn't even buy that.

Why is everyone going "omg, TEST!"? It's nothing new for Test to look good in these types of matches.

Its not hard to look good in this type of match.

Good worked match with good spots and the crowd brought it.

Give the man his due, Test has never looked good in any of these matches (extreme or regular) but today he did good.

Not really, he's had a few hardcore designed matches where it allowed his weakness to vanish and he made the most of it in those situations.

This is just another example.

I'll say Test/Shane, RVD/Sabu vs. Test/knox, and this match as an example of hardcore matches hiding Test's weaknesses. Then he had really awful hardcore matches with Dreamer, Sandman, and other wrestlers.

Man, Test flew 3/4's of the way across the ring to nail RVD with that chair. That was fucking impressive. I really want to call this the best match on ECW yet, but RVD/Holly is a tough call. I'll give them 1a and 1b as best matches in the New ECW.

I'll say Test/Shane, RVD/Sabu vs. Test/knox, and this match as an example of hardcore matches hiding Test's weaknesses. Then he had really awful hardcore matches with Dreamer, Sandman, and other wrestlers.

It's really in the manner of the booking and structure of the match that determines the quality of something involving "talent" like Test.

The Shane match required implemented drama and tons of backstory in addition to Shane bumping and overselling like crazy to put the match and Test over.

Test's best match was at WM 17 against Eddie Guerrero.

He's usually very boring no matter what, but tonight was one of those wtf anomaly matches that all bad wrestlers are bound to have from time to time.

Well the seeds for an RVD/Big Show program have been planted. It is almost assured to lead to an over-over-over-booked extreme rules match at the December PPV, with RVD coming away with the strap.

I agree. If there is one thing about ECW right now it's that the booking is giving me a genuine sense of outrage as a fan. At first I felt simply insulted by it, but as time goes on I realize I legit want to pay to see these guys like Heyman's Goons, Show, Test, etc. just get the shit kicked out of them on PPV. I'm talking a pile of bodies laying in the center of the ring by the end of December to Dismember.

That said, no this match tonight wasn't as good as RVD/Holly last week. They both accomplished exactly what they wanted to do though (the Holly match was to establish Holly as a hardcore force, this match was to do somewhat the same for Test but spark outrage over RVD being ripped off). The Holly match was a bit better though due to it being man on man, no bullshit from Heyman and his thugs.

Isn't the booking interesting in comparison to Raw? On Raw we have DX squashing every team in sight and a few other guys they aren't feuding with. On ECW we have Rob Van Dam damn near killing himself back to back weeks to get guys like Holly and Test over.

Big reason this match wasn't as good as Holly/RVD is because Test had to be obviously protected so much more, and by protected I don't mean his status, I mean his lack of ability had to be protected. This match looked much more staged, as where last week RVD/Holly were able to make it look more like two guys just going at it.

I think it was better than RVD/Holly, if only because the first half of RVD/Holly wasn't that great. The first half felt like it was in slow motion. Tonight's match was incredible from the beginning with RVD doing an insane leg bump, then following that up with a rolling thunder on the stairs. I enjoyed all of the near falls and seeing RVD being made to look invincible again.

He's so invincible that he jobbed....to Test. If anything I think RVD finally losing in the face of such odds keeps him over, whereas when fans see someone like Cena overcome all this stuff and still win it comes off like BS.

Test's best match was at WM 17 against Eddie Guerrero.

He's usually very boring no matter what, but tonight was one of those wtf anomaly matches that all bad wrestlers are bound to have from time to time.

Eh, eddie kinda blew that match when he fell out of the ring. Otherwise,it was an ok match. But this along with the Shane match at SS are Tests best matches.

Test is a good worker, always has been. That's why he has bad knees, back and neck, cause he moves like a regualr sized guy but he's about the size of Nash. I remember him having good nongimmicked matches with Lance Storm, Edge, and of course Pete Gas.

I wonder if they can get away with having all extreme rules matches on the ppv, as even with good matchups that may or may not happen I think they need more to diffrentiate between them and the other shows.

And I think good feuds that are built is a weird side effect of having only one title.

Guest Hotbutter Spoontoaster

There's no "LIVE" show for another three weeks, here's the schedule up to November:

WWE Smackdown & ECW on Sci-Fi Taping - Tuesday, October/3rd/2006.

ECW on Sci-Fi - Tuesday, October/10th/2006 - Taped the week before, (October 3rd), with Smackdown.

WWE Smackdown & ECW on Sci-Fi Taping - Tuesday, October/10th/2006.

ECW on Sci-Fi - Tuesday, October/17th/2006 - Taped the week before, (October 10th), with Smackdown.

ECW on Sci-Fi - Tuesday, October/24th/2006 - LIVE.

WWE Raw & ECW on Sci-Fi Taping - Monday, October/30th/2006.

Halloween ECW on Sci-Fi - Tuesday, October/31st/2006 - Taped the night before, (October 30th), with Raw.

Good show tonight. Next week's looks even better. I might watch Shamrock/Ortiz for the minute is lasts.

Eh, the Test/Eddie match from WM 17 is maybe a **1/2 match. A typical TV type match on PPV.

Test's problem is that once he got buried in late 1999, he got BURIED. He really didn't have many chances to have a serious match with anyone. Mainly I think he just needs to be repackaged. Just call him Andrew Martin, since his real name is already somewhat established on TV (from the wedding angle) and the Test gimmick is so insanely stale.

Who are the agents that are booking/planning out these matches on ECW? Each show has their own set of agents, right?

Didn't I recall reading that Steve Keirn was an ECW agent?

As far as booking goes this show had Heyman all over it. There might be minimal WWE Creative on the show too, but a lot of it seems like Heyman. As far as a lot of the in ring spots last night I'd think RVD came up with a lot of it. I thought it was wild to see Van Dam hit the powerbomb to the floor spot on Test, since he's usually on the receiving end.

Guest Jack Potts

Is it just me, or is Kelly Kelly actually improving? I've only caught ECW intermittently since it began on Sci Fi, but I do remember how stiff and awkward she was the night the show debuted.

I'm not saying she's Meryl Streep now, but I feel there's definite improvement there.

I just watched this week's show. RVD/Test was a great match. It wasn't quite as good as RVD/Holly, but it was still great.

CM Punk should move way up the card, he's clearly over with the fans. At this stage, I don't see the point of putting him in a 2 minute match against a nobody.

Is it just me, or is Kelly Kelly actually improving? I've only caught ECW intermittently since it began on Sci Fi, but I do remember how stiff and awkward she was the night the show debuted.

I'm not saying she's Meryl Streep now, but I feel there's definite improvement there.

She's obviously more comfortable with a crowd now and seems to understand her character. When it started, she virtually had never been in front of a wrestling crowd before. I think she was hired only a few weeks before they decided to put her on ECW.

They actually given her some depth as opposed to be a ditzy blonde who likes to take off her clothes, it's subtle but she isn't as one dimensional as she was when she debuted.

In fact, all the "new" ECW characters have been developed well except Dupree.

Punk, Thorn and Knox, as Heyman's "boys" have obviously been worked on with detail.

I was thinking this when she was on Raw in the DX skit she seemed more natural and not afraid of being on TV.

I just watched this week's show. RVD/Test was a great match. It wasn't quite as good as RVD/Holly, but it was still great.

CM Punk should move way up the card, he's clearly over with the fans. At this stage, I don't see the point of putting him in a 2 minute match against a nobody.

Well he is starting a feud with Knox, so thats a step in the right direction. WWE shouldn't over push Punk, a lot of fans still don't know who he is, so taking it nice and steady is the right way to go.

If that finish wouldnt have been so stale last night in that match, Test/RVD would have been the ECW TV MOTY so far, hands down. Instead it just was a tad below the Holly bout. Test, to his credit, really had his working boots on here and I havent seen that from him in fucking years. It was more than just how that match was laid out, he really WAS working hard to keep up with Van Dam. He sold well, really looked impressive on his offense, and overall stood out in this brand more than he ever has before.

One thing though in all of this talk, I DONT want to see Knox/Punk held off til the ppv. That is way too much of a slow build there - that means we get two more months of buildup on this match. I'm sorry but I can only stand about 2-3 more weeks of that, building to a blowoff on TV in about a month. From there, Punk needs to be built at the ppv to a really strong match, possibly even bringing back the TV title in a tournament beforehand, which he wins at the ppv. Perfect opponent right now for him would be a guy like Scorpio in a final tournament match like that.

If that finish wouldnt have been so stale last night in that match, Test/RVD would have been the ECW TV MOTY so far, hands down. Instead it just was a tad below the Holly bout. Test, to his credit, really had his working boots on here and I havent seen that from him in fucking years. It was more than just how that match was laid out, he really WAS working hard to keep up with Van Dam. He sold well, really looked impressive on his offense, and overall stood out in this brand more than he ever has before.

One thing though in all of this talk, I DONT want to see Knox/Punk held off til the ppv. That is way too much of a slow build there - that means we get two more months of buildup on this match. I'm sorry but I can only stand about 2-3 more weeks of that, building to a blowoff on TV in about a month. From there, Punk needs to be built at the ppv to a really strong match, possibly even bringing back the TV title in a tournament beforehand, which he wins at the ppv. Perfect opponent right now for him would be a guy like Scorpio in a final tournament match like that.

Have Knox vs Punk end in the beginning of November with Punk going over Knox to end the feud, which leads to Test coming after Punk because Test wants revenage and maybe have that go to the PPV?

Have Knox vs Punk end in the beginning of November with Punk going over Knox to end the feud, which leads to Test coming after Punk because Test wants revenage and maybe have that go to the PPV?

And if they even wanted to go that way, Test could be mad at Punk for not being a "man" and taking steroids, but I don't think Vince wants steroids to be a focal point of an angle.