TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

ALCS: Detroit Tigers vs. Oakland A's

God damnit. Great now Mariotti and company can write columns again how Thomas isn't a Hall of Famer.

Bleh. Down 0-2 coming home? Doable. Down 0-2 going on the road? Forget it. I just hope they don't get swept now.

I think it should be said that Todd Jones is the luckiest man alive right now. God damn it, I thought that was a Grand Slam for the win there.

A quick thought about Game 2 before I head to work........

In the bottom of the ninth the A's had the situation everyone would have asked for...bases loaded, Thomas at the plate. A Grand Slam was on everyone's mind, but even a double probably clears the bases and ties the game.......anyway, he got the perfect pitch to hit, just didn't hit it with the meat of the bat......they say Football is a game of inches, well the A's were about 3 inches from winning the game last night... :(

Please don't get swept A's.....

Guest NYankees

The Tigers are doing one hell of a job. They finished the season 19-31, getting swept at home by the Royals and they are on a 5 game winning streak against the Yankees and the A's.

If Tigers are going to take this one, I hope it's this weekend and not Tuesday (or even Wednesday) in Oakland. I want to see some crazy celebrating on TV after the game. I'm glad I only work 8-4 on the weekend and have Monday and Tuesday off. If it comes down to a game six, at least I'll be home to watch, but I'm really hoping it's done in 4 or 5.

Wimps. I went to a game where it was 45 degress, and that was at night. I'd be in the same garb as Harden.

I'm not watching the game, but isn't it below freezing in Detroit right now, with a huge snow storm imminent?

Wimps. I went to a game where it was 45 degress, and that was at night. I'd be in the same garb as Harden.

I'm not watching the game, but isn't it below freezing in Detroit right now, with a huge snow storm imminent?

It was 44 degrees at game time. That's far from freezing.

If the last week has been any indication, I can't see how the Tigers aren't going to win the World Series. We can say the A's have been terrible offensively, but given what the Yankees looked like last week, this is clearly just great pitching.

The Oakland defense and pitching, on the other hand, hasn't been there for the team in the first two-and-a-half games.

harden pitched extremely well today. he only had two bad at-bats. it was the first one to granderson & the one to monroe where he hit the homerun. i don't think he should be ashamed at all. kenny rogers on the other hand has been pitching like sandy koufax. NO ONE saw this coming. even their most die-hard fans. and i'm with bruiser, i just can't see them not winning the world series, either. especially with the mets having only one top end pitcher at their disposal. the tigers look like they'll steam rool right through them. and leyland has the power of god in him, every decision has been golden for them.

Oakland doesn't even look like they deserve to be here. I'm wondering how much more pathetic the Twins would've looked.

Oh well, I'd better prepare myself for another outburst of "life-long" Tigers fans coming out of the woodwork, a la the Pistons.

"Yeah, yeah, they're awesome! I love Magglio Rodriguez and their closer Mike Jones!"

If I have to hear how Detroit's always been a baseball town again I might just puke. Over the last decade I'd say Detroit was more concerned about the Red Wings, then the Pistons, then the Lions, then the 2x WNBA Champion Shock and finally the Tigers.

If I have to hear how Detroit's always been a baseball town again I might just puke. Over the last decade I'd say Detroit was more concerned about the Red Wings, then the Pistons, then the Lions, then the 2x WNBA Champion Shock and finally the Tigers.

Yeah, because over the last decade people have certainly had the reasoning to be concerned...When should they have been, when they lost 119 games? When their biggest star was Bobby Higgenson? Their ace was Justin Thompson?

I'm not supporting bandwagon fans, but certainly nobody can logically argue that a team that loses on average 96 games over a ten year span is going to be at the forefront of a lot of people's minds.

I love Maggilo Rodriguez and I consider myself a longtime Tigers fan since I went out of my way to see them lose #120 to the Twins in '03! (Damn you Twins for clinching the division so early!)

Guest Felonies!
I'm not supporting bandwagon fans, but certainly nobody can logically argue that a team that loses on average 96 games over a ten year span is going to be at the forefront of a lot of people's minds.

I was going to say the Cubs, but they haven't been THAT bad, it just seems that way.

Yeah, because over the last decade people have certainly had the reasoning to be concerned...When should they have been, when they lost 119 games? When their biggest star was Bobby Higgenson? Their ace was Justin Thompson?

That's my point exactly. No one, even in Detroit, has given a shit about the Tigers in at least 15 years, but these announcers act like the city lives and breathes baseball and always has. "From the moment we got off of the plane yesterday morning this city has been electrified like never before". Nigga please.

Thank you MLB for moving the game up so I didn't have to watch it.

Oh well I'm just glad they finally won a playoff series but I hope they can at least avoid the sweep.

as a supposed bandwagon jumper, i can safely say that tiger fans really haven't had anything to talk about. what are we supposed to say? each year there is optimism of some sort, but it quickly dissipates. what do any oakland raider fans have to say right now? i don't talk about them ever and they're my favorite team. it hurts too much.

the coverage on detroit t.v. has been sickening, though. i can understand being excited about a hometeam success, but reporting what nate robertson had for breakfast over a fatal police chase is beyond reproach.

that said, i am totally surprised by the a's anemic output thus far. zito & hardens starts weren't all that bad, but the offense has been dead. the one time the a's offense put them in a position to do some damage, loaiza throws a stinker. sad, really.

Although they did fairly well down the stretch, the A's offense was not very good at all this season. When Thomas isn't hitting they have problems. That's what would have been an interesting storyline in the World Series is if the A's would take their chances and try Frank at first base in the N.L. park but not going to have to wonder about that now.

Detroit before the dark ages that was everything post 1993 until now , was always a baseball town first. The Pistons sucked until the 1980s. The Lions still suck and have won one playoff game in almost 50 years, and the Red Wings hit a dry spell in the 70s and 80s. My family has told me of traffic jams due to people trying to get to the stadium to see Mark Fidrych pitch. The Tigers were the best team record wise throughout the 1980s. The passion has always been kinda asleep over the last 15 years because there hasn't been much to cheer about. People were talking about the Tigers making the playoffs last season before they fell off. Detroit is a baseball town, and when you have had to deal with shitty teams for 15 years and then they have this amazing year, its always going to look like bandwagoning to outside observers. Most of the people here in Detroit actually know their shit about the team.

Guest Felonies!

I find it mildly amusing that the Red Wings are in Detroit proper, but the Pistons are in Auburn Hills. You'd think it'd be the other way around. IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN.