TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

ALCS: Detroit Tigers vs. Oakland A's

I find it mildly amusing that the Red Wings are in Detroit proper, but the Pistons are in Auburn Hills. You'd think it'd be the other way around. IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN.

lol...im praying the Pistons leave the boondocks 1 day and come back downtown

Detroit before the dark ages that was everything post 1993 until now , was always a baseball town first. The Pistons sucked until the 1980s. The Lions still suck and have won one playoff game in almost 50 years, and the Red Wings hit a dry spell in the 70s and 80s. My family has told me of traffic jams due to people trying to get to the stadium to see Mark Fidrych pitch. The Tigers were the best team record wise throughout the 1980s. The passion has always been kinda asleep over the last 15 years because there hasn't been much to cheer about. People were talking about the Tigers making the playoffs last season before they fell off. Detroit is a baseball town, and when you have had to deal with shitty teams for 15 years and then they have this amazing year, its always going to look like bandwagoning to outside observers. Most of the people here in Detroit actually know their shit about the team.

exactly..I would go as far as to say Detroit is baseball town before any other sport

Detroit before the dark ages that was everything post 1993 until now , was always a baseball town first. The Pistons sucked until the 1980s. The Lions still suck and have won one playoff game in almost 50 years, and the Red Wings hit a dry spell in the 70s and 80s. My family has told me of traffic jams due to people trying to get to the stadium to see Mark Fidrych pitch. The Tigers were the best team record wise throughout the 1980s. The passion has always been kinda asleep over the last 15 years because there hasn't been much to cheer about. People were talking about the Tigers making the playoffs last season before they fell off. Detroit is a baseball town, and when you have had to deal with shitty teams for 15 years and then they have this amazing year, its always going to look like bandwagoning to outside observers. Most of the people here in Detroit actually know their shit about the team.

exactly..I would go as far as to say Detroit is baseball town before any other sport

If that's the case, they have to change center ice at the Joe. I think Hockeytown, I'm thinking Montreal or Toronto. Not Detroit.

I was at work during the game today and only got to see the A's bat for a couple of innings......

I have to say, whoever their hitting coach is, needs to be fired. I mean, you have Kenny Rogers up there throwing first pitch breaking-balls that are nowhere near the strike zone, and yet the A's hitters are swinging on first pitches. Why the hell is the hitting coach, and hell Macha as well, not screaming at his guys to start TAKING SOME PITCHES. Their lineup was one of the most patient during the regular season.

Well, I remember the game he pitched against the Yankees, and that curve ball had a shitload of break. It's tough to lay off, even if you're a patient team.

If that's the case, they have to change center ice at the Joe. I think Hockeytown, I'm thinking Montreal or Toronto. Not Detroit.

Not me, I think of Detroit as a "hockeytown" well before I would with Montreal/Toronto.

I wonder, head to head across the country, how many cities are generally baseball towns over the other big three sports?

If I wanted, I would break it down and see which sport is the town more attached to. I'd have to imagine Baseball is the forerunner simply because of its longer history in most cities.

Guest Felonies!

Football is generally going to be the case, baseball the exception. Your obvious baseball towns are New York, Boston, Chicago, and St. Louis. Would you say Cincinnati is a baseball town? Detroit is hockey, as are Montreal and Toronto, like duh.

Well, it is safe to say out of all the American NHL towns, that Detroit has the most history( Most Cups) and everything, so in that regard, the Hockeytown USA moniker is somewhat appropriate. Plus you add in that high school and college hockey are both huge here in Michigan, and you can easily say that Detroit is a huge hockey town. But I just think that Detroit is a baseball town historically. The Tigers were here in 1901

Guest Felonies!

Well, I think Detroit obviously has a proud history in both, but I'm gonna give the edge to the Red Wings. Cubs vs. Bears is a tough call as well, but since the Cubs have been around since like the 1870s, there you go.

Football is generally going to be the case, baseball the exception. Your obvious baseball towns are New York, Boston, Chicago, and St. Louis. Would you say Cincinnati is a baseball town? Detroit is hockey, as are Montreal and Toronto, like duh.

Baseball, by far. Longer history and it was virtually Cincinnati's identity for a very long time. Football, has spurts in the area and that's dependant on the success of the Bengals. While it was still big in the area even during that horrendous 90's decade, baseball's still the main sport, although the attendence doesn't reflect that (which is a result of it being in a very dangerous area).

High School football is probably the main thing of Cincinnati right now, even more so then the surging Bengals franchise. So, currently football controls Cincinnati but historically speaking and in the heart of hearts of most native Cincinnatians, the Reds are still the big sport here.

Green Bay Packer fans must really befuddle nawif.

Or you could read what I said and realize that with only 8 home games a year it'd be dumb to end up losing your season tickets for life. Let's not act like the Packers have been atrocious since WWII either. They won a championship, played for another and had a legend at QB for quite some time. The Cubs have had the Bartman ball ruined season, and a whole lot of nothing else.

Or you could read what I said and realize that with only 8 home games a year it'd be dumb to end up losing your season tickets for life. Let's not act like the Packers have been atrocious since WWII either. They won a championship, played for another and had a legend at QB for quite some time. The Cubs have had the Bartman ball ruined season, and a whole lot of nothing else.

Czech, can eviscerate you but for now you forgot '69, '84 and '98. That's just off the top of a Cincinnati native who really never paid attention to the Cubs.

You should stop talking about things you don't know about, and Chicago Cubs is just one of them.

Guest Felonies!

The Cubs lead the major leagues in wins all-time, I think. They were a contender for the first half of the 20th century, you know. One of the most storied teams in baseball and he says the only thing they're known for was fan interference that sparked a rally, which was neither fan interference nor the catalyst for the rally. naiwf can be a real knob.

Green Bay has only had 2 good decades since WW2 and is starting it's fourth horrific decade.

Guest Felonies!
Green Bay has only had 2 good decades since WW2 and is starting it's fourth horrific decade.

Yay!

That's not what the women said.

Czech, can eviscerate you but for now you forgot '69, '84 and '98. That's just off the top of a Cincinnati native who really never paid attention to the Cubs.

You should stop talking about things you don't know about, and Chicago Cubs is just one of them.

I don't recall the Cubs winning anything in 1969, 1984 or 1998. Did they get the 2nd place trophy or something? I really don't know how a "storied" franchise gets that way by not winning anything in the lifetime of anyone under 100.

Yay!

Riiight, like they were left to talk.

Yay!

Moo!

The Oakland A's have nine world series titles (including the Philadelphia years) and no one calls them a storied franchise or gives a shit about them outside the bay area.

A storied franchise isn't the number of titles won. "Storied" means having an illustrious past but I figure logic and interpretation aren't your strong suits to begin with.

The Oakland A's have nine world series titles (including the Philadelphia years) and no one calls them a storied franchise or gives a shit about them outside the bay area.

A storied franchise isn't the number of titles won. "Storied" means having an illustrious past but I figure logic and interpretation aren't your strong suits to begin with.

What other storied franchise in any sport is renowned for losing?

This was actually discussed on the radio this past week that the A's just aren't a national team. They never draw ratings. They can't even sell out their own ball park during the playoffs. It's a shame because they've had some truly great players over the years

What other storied franchise in any sport is renowned for losing?

You missed the point, again but there is that team on the east coast that habitually lost in the most agonizing manner possible.

The best way to put it is that Detroit is just a sports town. We like all our teams (Shit, I went to Vipers and Rockers games back in the day), often no matter how shitty they are. Just look at the sizable fanbase that the Lions still manage to have, despite being one of the most consistantly shitty teams in the league.

Detroit is faithful to it's teams; despite all their shittiness over the years, none of them have ever had any threat of moving anywhere else, or had attendence problems. I mean, Christ, how many of you could stay with a team that hasn't been over .500 for 10 years and almost set a record for most losses (And not be a Cubs fan) and proudly brag about it? It's not bandwagon stuff, it's just that we're suddenly getting the chance to say "Hey, we're fricken GREAT again!"

Max: It's "Hockeytown, USA". Montreal is probably a bigger hockey town, and Toronto is just far, far more obnoxious one.

I'd agree with that. I remember the 2003 Tigers season, going to a few games for work (i was an intern at fox sportsnet detroit), and being surprised at how many fans would go there, even as they were the worst teams in baseball. It really is a good place if you like sports. And on that note, Fire Millen. ;)

Guest Felonies!

The A's had a storied past: Connie Mack's teams in Philadelphia, the Mustache Gang, the Bash Brothers. It's only recently that they've been treated as the bastard stepbrother of the San Francisco Barry Bonds. And it is a struggle to market the A's when they basically consist of homegrown stars without big names, and are pretty much looked down on by the baseball establishment. Joe Morgan is smackin' it to this series.

If you ask a casual fan to name an A, you can bet your ass almost every single one of them would say Barry Zito. That's their problem. They don't have any names outside of Zito and Thomas. It's tough to market and get people's attention. It's a shame too because I think the A's have been one of the better franchises over the past 5 years. They are consistent and make the playoffs even though you know with that talent, they aren't gonna get to the World Series. I wish Barry Zito will stick around and continue to breath life into this franchise, but I have a feeling the mighty dollar will be calling elsewhere.

And the A's will respond by winning the division again with Frank Thomas and Others.