TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest A.BUTCHER'S HOUSE OF RIBS

Tom Waits

Big Tom Waits fan. I consider him the best songwriter since Dylan. He's got a Box set of rare and live material "dropping" on Nov. 21st.

I just saw that dude that started this thread just registered today...and he has 18 posts today. Who does he think he is? The Queen of Siam or somebody?

Guest Agent of Oblivion
You picked a pretty fine album to be your only one. I'd say you qualify.

That's still my favorite, I think. I've picked up Swordfishtrombones, Rain Dogs, Frank's Wild Years, Mule Variations, and Real Gone since.

I think most of the rest of the cloister likes Rain Dogs best, but I kind of need to be in a mood for it, really. Must be all the country undertones.

tom waits is one of three celebrities/artists that would turn me to jello if i met them. people beyond cool. he's so cool. everything he does is so romantic.

He was at my old elementary school all the time, performing as well as just hanging around, as his daughter was a student there. I regret not banging her, if such a thing is possible in kindergarten.

tom waits is one of three celebrities/artists that would turn me to jello if i met them. people beyond cool. he's so cool. everything he does is so romantic.

He was at my old elementary school all the time, performing as well as just hanging around, as his daughter was a student there. I regret not banging her, if such a thing is possible in kindergarten.

thats so awesome.

Following the release of his new 3 CD set ORPHANS: BRAWLERS, BAWLERS AND BASTARDS (Nov. 21 on Anti-), great American performer and songwriter TOM WAITS takes to the stage and the easy chair as a performer and guest on the Late Show with David Letterman (Monday, November 27), and The Daily Show with Jon Stewart (Tuesday, November 28). I found this on Anti's website. awesome news, Waits is always good on Letterman. I could be wrong but I think this is the 1st time he's been on the daily show.

Guest Felonies!
Blue Valentine is pretty cool in that way that transitional albums are cool. I think Foreign Affairs is where the whole style he rode through the 70s sorta ran out of gas.

I can't believe how good this set is. Rarely does something live up to your expectations, but this set surely does. I strongly recommend picking it up.

So, my knowledge of Waits is very limited (something that I am mildly ashamed of). I heard a couple of songs on the radio yesterday that I really liked.

Could someone please give me the two best introductory albums for me to pick up?

I just listened to Rain Dogs a few hours ago--probably the most "atmospheric" album I've ever heard, in that you can actually smell, taste, and FEEL the places that Waits is describing. Music that can do that is really, really rare.