TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Agent of Oblivion

NFL Discussion Forumtable

I think San Diego will just hire from within or hire a coordinator.

Who do they have left from within?

Wade Phillips is now the Cowboys coach, while Cam Cameron is the Dolphins coach.

I doubt they have any position coaches ready to step up and become head coach.

Also, I think the loss of the two coordinators help seal Marty's fate, as the firing was due to a "dysfunctional relationship" between the GM and Marty, probably made worse by the fact that both wanted more input on the new coordinators than the other was willing to give.

If they hire a coordinator to be head coach, the most likely target is Ron Rivera from the Bears, who was interviewing with the Cowboys at the least and was mentioned as a possibility for the Steelers, Cardinals, and others.

In other news, Tom Coughlin is STILL employed. WTF?

I think San Diego will just hire from within or hire a coordinator.

Who do they have left from within?

Wade Phillips is now the Cowboys coach, while Cam Cameron is the Dolphins coach.

I doubt they have any position coaches ready to step up and become head coach.

Also, I think the loss of the two coordinators help seal Marty's fate, as the firing was due to a "dysfunctional relationship" between the GM and Marty, probably made worse by the fact that both wanted more input on the new coordinators than the other was willing to give.

If they hire a coordinator to be head coach, the most likely target is Ron Rivera from the Bears, who was interviewing with the Cowboys at the least and was mentioned as a possibility for the Steelers, Cardinals, and others.

In other news, Tom Coughlin is STILL employed. WTF?

The Chargers still have a few assistant coaches left, though you're right, probably no one that could step in immediately and be a decent head coach.

Now how about Norm Chow? Man needs a head coaching gig.

Awesome point with Norm Chow. Dude would run their offense the right way, and remember, he was an offensive coordinator for a year with Rivers at NC State.

Chow is perfect as a coordinator. The guy has interivewed for a million head coaching jobs and never gotten one. He just strikes me as a guy who is better off up in the booth calling plays than he would be trying to control an entire team.

So the Giants cut LaVar Arrington, Carlos Emmons AND Luke Petitgout today. I don't know how they plan to replace that many starters and how much of a cap hit they're taking because of it, but I really don't like the Petitgout decision. Left tackles don't grow on trees.

...is it wrong for me to get my hopes up on Houston maybe going after him?

The Chargers waited until almost everyone worth a damn and not worth a damn was gone before making a move? Seems kind of stupid. In the long run, it's probably an improvement since Marty's teams tend to meltdown in the playoffs. But to wait so late to fire him? Bad decision.

Luke might end up in Philly or Baltimore. I would think those would be top choices to get closer to his home state and play for the "home town" teams.

So the Giants cut LaVar Arrington, Carlos Emmons AND Luke Petitgout today. I don't know how they plan to replace that many starters and how much of a cap hit they're taking because of it, but I really don't like the Petitgout decision. Left tackles don't grow on trees.

...is it wrong for me to get my hopes up on Houston maybe going after him?

Petitgout was the only lineman I had any kind of consistent confidence in. He'll upgrade some team and we'll be watching Eli get murdered from the blind side throughout the season. Unless the Giants know he's not going to recover from his leg injury it makes no sense to just cut him.

Hrm...

If Arrington can stay reasonably healthy, I think I see a Saints FA signing in the coming weeks.

Picking him up means that the Saints won't need to pin all their hopes on Patrick Willis or Paul Posluzny falling to them in the 1st round.

Seems like a bad move for the Chargers. I know that Marty's teams have a tendency to have a meltdown in the playoffs, but the guy is still an excellent coach. He's won everywhere. The Chargers were 14-2 last year and have generally exceeded expectations during his tenure. I don't see any homerun coaching candidates out there for a quick fix.

I don't know who could step in at the moment for the job... I really wouldn't like Ron Rivera to get the job. I have a slight confidence in Chow, but nothing concrete.

Farewell Martyball... Farewell :(

Guest Vitamin X

I think the only reason why Ron Rivera keeps getting interviews is because of the Rooney Rule, he's the only black head coaching candidate out there that's feasible enough to interview for a head coaching gig, but no one is going to give it to him just yet because he hasn't had that much coaching experience, and it has been questionable at times in only 3 seasons' worth.

I could've sworn Ron Rivera was Hispanic...

...and Wikipedia backs me up...

Ronald Eugene Rivera (born January 7, 1962 in Fort Ord, California) is the first American of Puerto Rican and Mexican descent to play in the NFL (National Football League). He was a member of the 1985 Chicago Bears, who won Super Bowl XX. He is currently the defensive coordinator for the Chicago Bears.

Guest Vitamin X

Ah, that's true. Although I thought that the Rooney Rule would apply to any minority? (Hey Norm Chow get ready for some fruitless interviews! It's just like when everyone was calling on Ray Rhodes to interview. Nobody was going to seriously hire the guy after his last stint with the Packers.

They should be pissed at Taylor.

I'm sure most players are doing their usual macho bullshit of "LOLZ HES JUST A KICKER FAG", but if you're gonna have that stuff happen, we might as well cancel the Pro Bowl since nobody will want to play it.

My problem with this line of thinking is that Taylor's hit was about as clean a hit as you'll see - he led with the shoulder, came in low to mitigate the possibility of a helmet collision, and just drove him clear off the ground.

That's not to say that the Pro Bowl isn't a useless exercise that puts the players at more risk than they need to be, but I don't think that there's any malicious intent there; Moorman was goofing around with a fake punt anyway and, when Taylor saw the opportunity to light him up, he returned the favor.

Our fans deserve to know what changed for me over the last month. When I decided to move ahead with Marty Schottenheimer in mid-January, I did so with the expectation that the core of his fine coaching staff would remain intact. Unfortunately, that did not prove to be the case, and the process of dealing with these coaching changes convinced me that we simply could not move forward with such dysfunction between our head coach and general manager. In short, this entire process over the last month convinced me beyond any doubt that I had to act to change this untenable situation and create an environment where everyone at Charger Park would be pulling in the same direction and working at a championship level. I expect exactly that from our entire Charger organization in 2007.

Pretty dickish move from the Chargers FO, as they've essentially let Schottenheimer's assistants cut him off at the pass for any potential job opportunities. Regardless of the merits behind the decision, this explanation for the firing is pretty weak.

As for the future of the Chargers, I'm not really sure what this accomplishes at all, because it leaves a giant, gaping hole in their coaching infrastructure that could do a lot of damage to a Super Bowl-caliber team. Teams do pretty well just to stay afloat with the departure of one contributor from the staff, but I'm not sure what kind of a precedent there is for a contending team to lose a head coach and both coordinators in one season.

I know the damage could be tough to recover from, but in the long run, it'd be good for them if they hired the right people. Martyball/nonMartyball Marty Schottenheimer style football isn't the right kind of style for the Chargers, I think.

Oh and Rivera? No one should hire that guy after how bad the defense played in the Super Bowl. He needs to stay a DC (and you know, it doesn't even have to be in Chicago) for a bit longer and build up the good reputation more.

Oh and Rivera? No one should hire that guy after how bad the defense played in the Super Bowl. He needs to stay a DC (and you know, it doesn't even have to be in Chicago) for a bit longer and build up the good reputation more.

Learning to make adjustments seems like a pretty big quality a head coach should have. That Super Bowl proved he hasn't quite learned that skill yet. Course it also proved Lovie doesn't have that skill yet either so maybe Rivera should be a head coach now.

I still can't get over how stupid this Marty firing is. They're a young team that barely lost to a very good Patriots team (a Pats team that barely missed yet another Super Bowl) in the playoffs following a 14-2 regular season...lose both it's coordinators which is bad enough, then fire their popular coach (whose lack of playoff success was nearly vanguished in January, and could have been a huge driving force for the team next season) and are staring at a total rebuilding of their coaching staff. And it's already half way through Feb when the firing happened. Mindbogglingly dumb.

There are some crazy names being thrown around for the Chargers job: Dick Vermeil, Jimmy Johnson, Bill Parcells, Bill Cowher... I don't think any of those guys are even remote possibilities.

If I were to wager a guess, if they don't go the easy route with Rivera or Caldwell they'll take a look at Mike Martz, Steve Mariucci, Norv Turner, Dan Reeves and Jim Haslett . It's a sensible move to go for a retread with some experience.

I wonder what Arrington's future is. His best days are clearly behind him as another surgery is about to take place. This one being an achilles which means even if he is back in 2007, he won't be at full speed, so just figure Arrington to be ready in 2008.

He left Washington in bad terms, blaming coaches for not "playing him right" and after claming the entire season he wanted to be a "Redskin for life" and how he "couldn't imagine playing anywhere else" and would "Retire if he was traded" went on to BUY OUT the remainder of his contract. So he ends up in New York and it took him all of three weeks before that same noise about blaming the coaches started coming out of his mouth up there too, and then the freak injury happens and gets cut....

So we have a 7 year vet that can't stay on the field on a consistent basis, that constantly throws his coaches under the bus.....

Any takers?

I wonder what Arrington's future is. His best days are clearly behind him as another surgery is about to take place. This one being an achilles which means even if he is back in 2007, he won't be at full speed, so just figure Arrington to be ready in 2008.

He left Washington in bad terms, blaming coaches for not "playing him right" and after claming the entire season he wanted to be a "Redskin for life" and how he "couldn't imagine playing anywhere else" and would "Retire if he was traded" went on to BUY OUT the remainder of his contract. So he ends up in New York and it took him all of three weeks before that same noise about blaming the coaches started coming out of his mouth up there too, and then the freak injury happens and gets cut....

So we have a 7 year vet that can't stay on the field on a consistent basis, that constantly throws his coaches under the bus.....

Any takers?

The Oakland Raiders would be more than happy to have Mr. Arrington join the team. He will fit in well with this group of egomaniacs and misfits.