TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Agent of Oblivion

NFL Discussion Forumtable

People fail to realize they were playing at home, and still lost. They lost because they had shitty clock management. How is that turning the corner? Close or not, I can see the Giants finally giving up on their coach.

Guest Princess Leena
3) The fact that the Lions are now using a converted safety and a QB as wide receivers after using their first round picks on wide receivers three straight years.

That's by far, the funniest thing to happen this season. Every time I see Furrey on my fantasy teams, I can't believe it.

And Matt Millen will still never be fired.

I was expecting them to get blown out. I was shocked that they actually had a chance to win the game late.

I still think they can go 2-2 in the last four games, which should probably be enough in this miserable excuse for a conference. But, I can easily see them quitting on Coughlin, as well. Should be fun to see which one happens.

New question: What's the worst team in the league and why?

the Raiders...bad coaching, shitty QBs, selfish players...worst team hands down...at least AZ, Detroit and Houston can give teams a run for their money.

Guest Princess Leena

I think it's between the Raiders and Lions.

The Lions just have no hope. Incompetency from top to bottom. Marinelli refuses to play younger players because they MUST WIN NOW. He's such a hardass. For the entire decade, the Lions are amongst the worst in offense and defense. I don't see how things will improve any time soon.

The Raiders are just dead this year. The offense is totally dead.

The Oakland defense shows sparks of life from time to time. Detroit just looks dead and worthless.

Arizona just needs a better line and a coach. At least they have productive players.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Correct answer. I said a couple weeks ago that all they need to do is simplify their playcalling. Don't try to get fancy with essentially a rookie QB and pretty ok receivers. They already run pretty well, so go play-action 10-20 yds. to the sidelines, and lots of screens to the TE, since teams want to blitz him so bad.

That was what struck me as odd watching the New England game. Grossman went for the 30-50 yard pickups on several occasions, and they just missed them each time. Strange playcalling to do that without going for the intermediate routes as well. I'm still a little baffled as to why they didn't grab one of the big tight ends in the draft, and still impressed beyond belief with Devin Hester.

Some Sports forum librarian should look back to this time last season or else the offseason where I was going off about the few things that Chicago needs to turn the corner into becoming a superbowl team.

1. A dynamite return man. They force everyone to punt, might as well capitalize on it. Check.

2. A vertical passing threat, and the ability to make a big play on offense now and again. Check.

3. A great big wonderful sure handed lovable teddy bear (not the profanity filter connotation) of a Tight End that melts the quarterback's heart and sets his mind at ease with great blocking and an option in the middle of the field on 3rd and 7. Not-check.

They're listening to me. In retrospect, I'm kind of glad they didn't go TE with a rookie. They were too low in the draft order for Vernon Davis, who has been mostly silent as far as I know, and Marcedes Lewis hasn't lit the world afire in Jacksonville either. Plus there's no sense selling the farm for a Todd Heap kinda guy at this point.

This offseason, it's TE again, and offensive line depth. Olin Kreutz isn't going to be around for any longer than 3-4 more seasons, and he's going to have gigantic shoes to fill. Defense and special teams are stacked, aside from maybe a couple more weapons in the secondary. I'd like to see a big mean headhunter SS ala Steve Atwater.

Ah it would have been true had I said "Oakland would defeat Lions, on virtue of them beating Arizona, who beat Detroit." However, no such statement was made. Detroit could beat Oakland, they could not. Detroit, however, is worse than Oakland for many reasons, one simplified, being that they've lost to bad teams, Arizona included. Detroit has had a 2-10 record despite boasting the 8th worst schedule (opponents' winning percentage is only .473). At least the Raiders' was .516 and Arizona's was .500.

I think when talking about "the worst team", we should look beyond just the field...that Raider's organization is just bad bad bad. However, I'd put the Lions organization just a few notches above them.

At least the Raiders have an up-and-coming defense to build upon going into next year.

The Lions' best QB prospect is currently lining up as a wideout, they have absolutely nothing on the offensive line, and they have basically nothing on the defensive side outside of Dre Bly. There's zero accountability through the whole organization (as evidenced by the fact that Matt Millen still has a job, despite steering the franchise off of a cliff), and there's no perspective in the franchise about their future (as evidenced by the fact that their best QB prospect is currently lining up as a wideout). There's really no hope for Detroit.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

The Detroit Lions haven't won more than six games in a season so far this decade.

The Detroit Lions haven't won more than six games in a season so far this decade.

THE DETROIT LIONS HAVEN'T WON MORE THAN SIX GAMES IN A SEASON SO FAR THIS DECADE.

If I were a team owner that got those kinds of results, I'd literally fire every single person on the staff, top to bottom, and move the team elsewhere.

Guest Princess Leena

DET will probably take Brady Quinn. Who will be a bust.

Taking Adams from Clemson would make the most sense, so no.

I feel that I am among the most qualified to make this statement: The Detroit Lions are the worst team in the NFL.

Arizona has a franchise QB, 2 of the top 5 WR's, and a decent D that has maybe the best player no one's heard of in Adrian Wilson. Oakland actually has a pretty good D. Both those teams just need an O-line. For Houston, Carr's turned the corner, and their D is much improved. Mario has done OK, but DeMeco Ryans has been the real stud. They could use a healthy Domanick Davis. Detroit, on the other hand, can't seem to turn the corner. While teams like the Titans reel off 5 out of 7, the Lions "almost" beat NE. Most of the lower-tier teams have shown at least some semblance of hope and have even pulled an upset or two. Detroit's "big" win was against a struggling Falcons team at home. The players(I'm talking to you Roy) keep talking about being close but the fact of the matter is, this is their 6th straight 10+ loss season. If that doesn't get Millen fired, I don't know what will. I believe this is the right coaching staff, but they do need to change some of their methods and beliefs. Detroit has talent in the form of Shaun Rogers, Roy, KJ, Sims, Bly, and a few others. Some analysts even had them in the playoffs, believe it or not. But they always find a way to lose. Bad execution, stupid penalites, critical mistakes in crunch time, they just find new ways to blow games every week. It's just plain comical.

Guest Princess Leena

Is there ANYONE in Detroit that doesn't think Millen should be fired besides Clay?

Detroit is 23-69 with Millen.

What the Lions should do instead of draft Quinn is this:

Sign Byron Leftwich (if he does indeed go).

If they have to use the 1st overall draft pick, take Adrian Peterson.

I think getting Byron Leftwich would be good, but Kevin Jones is a good RB considering the O-Line he's playing under. Joe Thomas would be the best choice I think for them

Guest Princess Leena
Millen is so bad, that there is not only a http://www.firemillen.com, there is also a http://www.firemillen.net. :lol:

Fun fact from firemillen.com: The Lions have finished in the bottom half of the league in offence and defence every year since Matt Millen was hired.

Heh. I hope both sites feud with each other.

I posted the 2nd fact earlier. :P

Millen is so bad, that there is not only a http://www.firemillen.com, there is also a http://www.firemillen.net. :lol:

Fun fact from firemillen.com: The Lions have finished in the bottom half of the league in offence and defence every year since Matt Millen was hired.

Here's another one

http://www.geocities.com/lionsfan40/page5.html

Maybe Leena or Harley should figure out which lineman drafted by Oakland, Arizona, and/or Detroit will become the next big flop a la Robert Gallery...

Or maybe all three of them will start fighting over Calvin Johnson and Dwayne Bowe since none of these three teams need a WR and yet they like to stockpile them.

(Well... Detroit needs WRs to be #2 behind Roy Williams, but they've already thrown enough money down the toilet with Mike Williams and the already-cut Charlie Rogers)