TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Agent of Oblivion

NFL Discussion Forumtable

How many of you feel that your backup is capable of winning games for you, if necessary? I thought for a few minutes and pondered how many of the 32 NFL franchises respective back-ups, I could even name off the top of my head, I could name 18 of them.

I do know that Cincinnati could not win games or at least depend on their current #2, Anthony Wright. I feel that despite a culture of back-ups coming and taking over (Romo, Cutler, Harrington, just this year alone), a main stay at the QB position is still crucial for a team’s chances of success. Is this still the case with the glorification of “game manager” QB’s becoming more customary or do you still need that “IT” quarterback to win?

I like Matt Cassel and think he could be a solid play if pressed but I'm not sure if he'd be able to carry a team on his back like Derek Anderson did today.

Seriously, what's up with the sudden rookie QB explosion? Jay Cutler tonight, Matt Leinart, Vince Young, Jason Campbell, Tony Romo, and now Derek Anderson w/Frye's injury.

Anybody know the record for how many rookie QBs have ever started at least 1 game during the same season?

Romo, Campbell and Anderson aren't rookies. Romo is a fourth-year player.

Cutler, I think, is the only one that's unusual, in that he's taking over a 7-4 team. Both Leinart and Young are starting for bad teams, as was expected by many.

Cutler, I think, is the only one that's unusual, in that he's taking over a 7-4 team. Both Leinart and Young are starting for bad teams, as was expected by many.

That Tampa Bay Bucs QB...Gradkowski

How dare you speak ill of Tony Romo. He's your hero and mine.

I really hope that during the offseason Joe Gibbs comes to his senses and takes back playcalling duties. It's not that Al Saunders doesn't have a great playbook, but he seems to have an inability to do two things that are key, one is keeping with what is working as far as rushing/passing, taking what the defense gives you etc...and the other which has KILLED the Redskins, is halftime adjustments, Joe Gibbs was the king of this in his heyday, but it seems like Saunders can careless what the score is or how much time is left/not left and just keeps calling the same types of plays.

As an avid fan, I scour the Redskins msgboards and it seems like a lot of people want Al Saunders to go, but I really feel that his playbook itself is fine, but letting Saunders decide what plays to call and WHEN, is downright HORRIBLE.

Well, with Marinelli coaching the Lions, it looks like McCown has more of a future at WR than QB. Despite their record, he's very adamant about keeping Kitna in the starting role. McCown and Orlovsky are both younger and more athletic, but MORONelli is so hard-headed in his ways so they may not see the field at all this year, at least not at QB. This should be the time where Detroit finds out if they need to look for a QB in the offseason. They payed McCown a decent chunk of change like Kitna, but they're not playing him. Also, this is the 6th straight 10+ loss season, all under Matt Millen.

Well, with Marinelli coaching the Lions, it looks like McCown has more of a future at WR than QB.

That's awesome. As a Lions fan, I don't know what to find funnier:

1) The fact that the Lions signed McCown to a 4 year 11.5 million contract to be, like, the fourth or fifth receiver.

2) The fact that, instead of signing McCown, the Lions could have just signed a WR, and drafted a QB in the draft. The fact that both Matt Leinart and Jay Cutler were right there for the taking just makes it even worse.

3) The fact that the Lions are now using a converted safety and a QB as wide receivers after using their first round picks on wide receivers three straight years.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

He's one of them. Kitna's never been anything better than a very solid backup. Look at his stints with the Bengals and Seahawks. The Lions' problems obviously start at the top and trickle down, though.

It'd be Kyle Orton, I imagine. Who had the game manager thing down well, but never really blew the offense open.

I say Grossman. Reason #1: Out of the three options, he's certainly the one who's shown, at his peak, the best playmaking, gamechanging, touchdown-throwin' abilities. Through the first half of the season, he was doing perfectly well with the Bears' very average receiver corps. Reason #2: He'll get this out of his system. The Bears have the division, and only need two more wins for homefield, and that's if both Seattle and Dallas win out (not likely). If he can get back up to making half his throws for 180 yards passing and maybe only 1 pick a game, the rest of the team can cover him. Reason #3: Brian Griese, guys. C'mon.

Grossman, because I don't think Griese is any better, as someone who got a firsthand look at the Brian Griese Experience for four seasons. They'll tighten up the game plan until he gets his confidence back.

He's one of them. Kitna's never been anything better than a very solid backup. Look at his stints with the Bengals and Seahawks. The Lions' problems obviously start at the top and trickle down, though.

I wouldn't blame Kitna soley. He did well considering what both Seattle and Cincy had on defence (shit basically)

Guest Agent of Oblivion
It'd be Kyle Orton, I imagine. Who had the game manager thing down well, but never really blew the offense open.

I say Grossman. Reason #1: Out of the three options, he's certainly the one who's shown, at his peak, the best playmaking, gamechanging, touchdown-throwin' abilities. Through the first half of the season, he was doing perfectly well with the Bears' very average receiver corps. Reason #2: He'll get this out of his system. The Bears have the division, and only need two more wins for homefield, and that's if both Seattle and Dallas win out (not likely). If he can get back up to making half his throws for 180 yards passing and maybe only 1 pick a game, the rest of the team can cover him. Reason #3: Brian Griese, guys. C'mon.

Correct answer. I said a couple weeks ago that all they need to do is simplify their playcalling. Don't try to get fancy with essentially a rookie QB and pretty ok receivers. They already run pretty well, so go play-action 10-20 yds. to the sidelines, and lots of screens to the TE, since teams want to blitz him so bad.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I wouldn't blame Kitna soley. He did well considering what both Seattle and Cincy had on defence (shit basically)

He's one of them [their problems].

Correct answer. I said a couple weeks ago that all they need to do is simplify their playcalling. Don't try to get fancy with essentially a rookie QB and pretty ok receivers. They already run pretty well, so go play-action 10-20 yds. to the sidelines, and lots of screens to the TE, since teams want to blitz him so bad.

That was what struck me as odd watching the New England game. Grossman went for the 30-50 yard pickups on several occasions, and they just missed them each time. Strange playcalling to do that without going for the intermediate routes as well. I'm still a little baffled as to why they didn't grab one of the big tight ends in the draft, and still impressed beyond belief with Devin Hester.

My 4 Wildcard Teams

AFC: New York Jets and Kansas City Chiefs. A healthy Trent Green is a huge difference maker.

NFC: Carolina Panthers and New York Giants. I'm kind of holding out hope for either the San Francisco 49ers or Minnesota Vikings to make it though, just cause I hate the Giants.

AFC: Jaguars and Bengals

NFC: Giants and Panthers

And I'd go with Grossman over Griese, only because Grossman's younger and they've got enough room in the standings to let him work some of this stuff through the rest of the season. If the team was fighting for a playoff spot, I would definitely let Griese have it - he's only a couple of years removed from a decent season in Tampa and, though he's prone to some stupid mistakes of his own, he's much more consistent.

What's with the people picking the Giants? Have you guys even seen the remainder of their schedule?

Have you even seen the Falcons play this year?

The Giants, for all of their warts, played a pretty solid game against Dallas and they're going to have players returning from injury as the year goes along.

What's with the people picking the Giants? Have you guys even seen the remainder of their schedule?

Have you seen the teams chasing them?

I have the Giants and Falcons tying for the last spot and the Giants getting the spot by tiebreaker. I can't see Atlanta beating the Giants by a full game in the standings.