TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
alfdogg

NBA Roundtable Discussion

Should have named this thread "This week in the Boston Celtics", lolz

I'm all for Reggie coming back if it gets him a ring, but Boston's not going to beat anyone out of the West. He'd be better served going somewhere like San Antonio or Dallas. Not to discredit Phoenix, I'm just not sure how well he'd fit in there.

That's why I am curious on the Reggie thing. The same story came out last year with Dallas as the team and Dallas was more of a "surefire winner" last year than Boston is considered thusfar. I won't give it too much thought, but if it happens, as a Celtics fan, I definately wouldn't mind. Even for a short amount of minutes, it wouldn't hurt to have the Number 1 and 2 all-time three point shooters floating around the arc in the same uniform...

What a old school week. Who else will return from the past? Shawn Kemp is my pick. I think the reign man could help a team ready for a title run.

What a old school week. Who else will return from the past? Shawn Kemp is my pick. I think the reign man could help a team ready for a title run.

Or he could make a team out of all of the kids that he has. And those are just the ones he knows about!

Or he could make a team out of all of the kids that he has. And those are just the ones he knows about!

If Seattle really wanted to "save their Sonics" why not sign Kemp and Payton and get Detlef Schrempf and Sam Perkins out of retirement.

A starting 5 consisting of

Payton

Green/Wally

Durant

Kemp

Perkins

6th man - Schrempf

Sign Jim McIlvaine for old times sake too.

Now that is a reunion tour I'd pay too watch.

Payton to Kemp! Reminds me of NBA Jam.

Shaq and Penny re-united!

The Heat should complete the trifecta and bring back Nick Anderson! He can redeem himself for missing those free throws! They should get Horace Grant back while they're at it!

Now that is a reunion tour I'd pay too watch.

They look like old New Jersey uniforms.

I actually like the Penny in Miami deal. No reason he shouldn't be able to outplay smush parker and Jason Williams for the starting position at the point honestly.

It is still sad to see what he and Grant Hill did to themselves though. If you are injured, playoffs or not, you have got to just sit down and call it a year. One playoff series for both of them and it destroyed their entire careers.

Those new Atlanta uniforms aren't that bad.

Since everyone is using the wayback machine to rebuild the league, I hope Lil' Penny makes his triumphant return at some point during the season.

It was really funny reading the Hoops Hype Rumors page today. There were stories about Penny Hardaway, Allen Houston, Reggie Miller, Keith Van Horn, PJ Brown, Charles Oakley, Antonio Davis and Shawn Kemp. It was like I was accidentally linked to a news page from ten years ago.

I will always have a soft spot in my heart for Shawn Kemp. I still remember meeting him and getting his autograph.

Unless he kills his wife(s) and kid(s).

Then it's BURN IN HELL KEMP~!

I think the unis are okay. There's nothing special about them, but they are simple and clean. At least there's no stupid Hawk eating a basketball on a purple and teal uniform or anything like that. They're more bland than anything else.

Guest Soriano's Torn Quad

Why couldn't they have done something simple and kept red and yellow, which is a good color scheme that's fairly unique (only the Chiefs and Flames use it), instead of navy blue like a third of the NBA? If they wanted to erase the bad identity, they shouldn't have gone with no identity, as they did here. Why not go for a modernization of the jerseys from the Dominique Wilkins years, the same way the Supersonics revived an old design and cleaned it up? The only reason that so many teams use navy blue is that David Stern banned black uniforms except for those that were grandfathered in (Spurs road, Bulls third), because he didn't like the image it projected, so now they're just going with the closest thing to black, which is navy.

That would have been great. That was a great uni. Pac-man jersey rules.

But honestly, save that shitty one with the Hawk flying at you, they have had some decent unis. I am just not a fan of this one.

At all.

1- Chicago

2- Boston

3- Cleveland

4- Washington

5- Detroit (they're due for some big time regression, but I won't make the mistake of leaving them out like I did last year)

6- New Jersey

7- Toronto

8- Orlando/Miami, can't pick one.

I don't trust the health of Riley and Shaq, and the Heat fall in the category of Detroit, except their older players are visibly regressing and Detroit's older ones are just starting to get close. Miami doesn't have the gas in the tank, but they have D Wade. Should probably get them in, but I'm not sold on the sum of their parts. New York and Charlotte could compete for a playoff spot if they stay healthy. The East is more competitive and catching up, but still not at the level of the West. If one of these teams could take 4 from the Suns or Spurs I'd be surprised.

Pistons dropping from 1 to 5???? The only Pistons I could possibly see regressing this year would be McDyess and Sheed. Washington did little to improve from 41-41. Cleveland's roster didnt change and Boston has far too many question marks to get the hype they get. Mainly Ray Allen's knee surgery and him missing 27 games and Pierce missing 35 games. Celtics are a Ray Allen missing 20 games away from going right back to the lottery. They really have to rely on the 30+ year old guys to be healthy and stay healthy all season long. I would not bet on that.

Basically, yeah. There's no way in hell that Washington is better than them, but it has to be that way.

The Wizards need Arenas and Butler to stay healthy.

Games without Caron Butler 4-15

Games without Gilbert Arenas 2-7

Games without both players 2-7

1-5 is not much of a drop, really. The Bulls dropped from 2-5 by virtue of 1 game in the standings.

Im assuming the guy is going purely by best overall record rather than playoff seeding since he has cleveland and chicago in the top 3.In the overall standings, Bulls had the third best record in the conference last year.

Guest Soriano's Torn Quad

Hasn't been a lot of talk about the Bulls this summer. To be fair, they've kept a low profile, signing Joe Smith, failing to get Kobe, and having what a lot of people felt was a bad draft, but I still think they'll be one of the best teams in the East this year.

1-5 is not much of a drop, really. The Bulls dropped from 2-5 by virtue of 1 game in the standings.

Im assuming the guy is going purely by best overall record rather than playoff seeding since he has cleveland and chicago in the top 3.In the overall standings, Bulls had the third best record in the conference last year.

No. Cleveland and Chicago can both be in the top 3. The seedings are no longer division winners as 1-3. The 3 division winners are guaranteed a top 4 (home court, first round) seed, but the 2nd place team with the best record can be anywhere from 2-4. For example. Detroit was the 1 seed last year, and Cleveland was #2.

I was going by seedings. If I was going by records I would have had Washington about 7th or 8th.

Pistons dropping from 1 to 5???? The only Pistons I could possibly see regressing this year would be McDyess and Sheed. Washington did little to improve from 41-41. Cleveland's roster didnt change and Boston has far too many question marks to get the hype they get. Mainly Ray Allen's knee surgery and him missing 27 games and Pierce missing 35 games. Celtics are a Ray Allen missing 20 games away from going right back to the lottery. They really have to rely on the 30+ year old guys to be healthy and stay healthy all season long. I would not bet on that.

2 comments

- Washington was only 41-41 because Arenas and Butler came up with injuries that took them out down the stretch. They were on a pace for 50 wins before that.

- Ray Allen had ANKLE surgery, not knee surgery. If you're going to be the anti-Celtics-bandwagon guy at least know what you're talking about.