TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest NYankees

Obscure Videogames

I remember seeing screenshots for Snatcher in a magazine when I was young, but don't think it ever came out in the UK. Pity, it looked pretty good.

Does anyone remember the Buck Rogers RPG for the Genesis, Countdown to Doomsday? It was great, have a version for the PC, but its nowhere near as good.

Guest TheBigCalbowski
I got heavy into DDR and Para Para Paradise, most of my friends thought I was fucking nuts!

Same here

I got heavy into DDR and Para Para Paradise, most of my friends thought I was fucking nuts!

Same here

well, considering I was on the 2nd half of my 20s when I started, it really perplexed them...seeing me up there with kids as young as 10!

I remember seeing screenshots for Snatcher in a magazine when I was young, but don't think it ever came out in the UK. Pity, it looked pretty good.

It did come out in the UK - a friend of mine had it. The jammy bastard.

And yes, it was fucking awesome. Typical Hideo Kojima - long cutscenes and a story with more twists than Chubby Checker's career.

Comix Zone for the Genesis is still a favorite. I've brought it up a few times in one or two of the "favorite past games" threads.

Me and my buddy Drew were obsessed with this game Project Horned Owl for the PS1. Literally OBSESSED. We played it for hours a day, every day. Typical lightgun shooter (though they're more fun at home with the controller and the crosshairs) with mechs and robots and fun shit like that.

Ghosthunter is a really good, and really fucking hard (annoyingly so), game for PS2 that didn't get enough love. It's like a ripoff of the Ghostbusters premise, which is why I got it in the first place, but it's a good game in and of itself.

There was a game for the genesis that my mom bought for me at Sears called "Decap Attack" basically you played as a headless mummy named Chuck D. Head, except you coukd hit opponents by extending your face at them, but your face was actually part of your torso...Or, you pick up a skull and can throw that at your enemies. It was a strange game, and I've never heard of anyone else playing it.

Here, I found a wiki stub.

Decap Attack

My buddies and I loved to play these games and so far nobody else has ever heard of them

Aerobiz and Aerobiz SuperSonic for the SNES

Tecmo's Deception for the PS1

Aerobiz had you and your buddies run airline companies and try to run the best airline. It was a very addictive game.

My brothers and I were big fans of both Aerobiz games. My dad even liked to play sometimes and he generally disliked playing video games.

Guest Smues
There was a game for the genesis that my mom bought for me at Sears called "Decap Attack" basically you played as a headless mummy named Chuck D. Head, except you coukd hit opponents by extending your face at them, but your face was actually part of your torso...Or, you pick up a skull and can throw that at your enemies. It was a strange game, and I've never heard of anyone else playing it.

Here, I found a wiki stub.

Decap Attack

My fiance loved that game when she was a kid. She always tells me about this great game no one else ever heard of that her and her family played all the time, but couldn't remember the name of it. I showed her that wiki link and "OMG THATS THE GAME I LOVED THAT GAME OMG!"

Aerobiz/Aerobiz Supersonic (SNES)

Romance of the Three Kingdoms XIII and X (PS2)

Gallop Racer 2004 and 2006 (PS2)

Derby Owner's Club (Arcade)

Victorious Boxers 1 & 2 (PS2)

Cooking Mama (DS)

Those and DDR...I really love the niche games...

Felony 11-79 for the PS. The point was to drive around wrecking stuff with various vehicles, while doing basic fetch errands. I guess it could be likened to the modern Burnout franchise in a way.

Taito's Ninjawarriors for the SNES. This sidescrolling beat 'em up was a console-only sequel to the arcade game of the same name (the arcade version was known for its large multi-screen cabinet). It had nice graphics with beefy sprites, and a good soundtrack.

The aforementioned Return Fire for the 3DO was fun. I had the Maps O' Death expansion disc along with it. I believe the PS version included all of those expansion maps. I recall that a PC sequel came out years later, but it didn't look interesting.

WOW a Cavi post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Felony 11-79 was indeed great. It was just too short. It had like 3 areas or something.

speaking of obscure Sega CD games, Snatcher was one of the best games I've ever played and I believe Sega CD was the only US console to get it. It's a point and click type detective game based in the future (premise is similar to Blade Runner) from the Metal Gear Solid production team. I still regret selling it off.

Rise of the Dragon was another good RPG on Sega CD. A pretty similar plot to Snatcher I guess. Futuristic distopia LA were some new drug is mutating pepole. I could never get past a part were I had to defuse a bomb and gave up.

speaking of obscure Sega CD games, Snatcher was one of the best games I've ever played and I believe Sega CD was the only US console to get it. It's a point and click type detective game based in the future (premise is similar to Blade Runner) from the Metal Gear Solid production team. I still regret selling it off.

Rise of the Dragon was another good RPG on Sega CD. A pretty similar plot to Snatcher I guess. Futuristic distopia LA were some new drug is mutating pepole. I could never get past a part were I had to defuse a bomb and gave up.

oh yes, I had that game as well...it's relatively short, but was cool at the time. What was wild about it is that you only had a set amount of in-game time to get through it, otherwise you'd have to start all over again!

Codemasters had some really good, but obscure games for the original NES. I remember my mom bought several of them from the Home Shopping Network, of all places. Micro Machines was really good, so was Big Nose the Caveman (kind of a side scroller action/adventure game).

Bill Laimbeer's Combat Basketball. I devoted way, way too much of my 10-year-old life to this game. It was a ridiculous top-down basketball game, where you could tackle people and run over weapons to send them shooting at your opponents (the elusive flying saw blade and the homing missile come to mind). In season mode, you bought better cyborgs to play on your team as you won games and accumulated money; of course, the best player you could buy was a robot Bill Laimbeer, and the goal was to get five of him so you'd be unstoppable.

Guest Legalise Drugs and Murder

Mutant League Football. You could bribe or kill the referees.

Whatever ps1 game it was, you were some kid when you're dog was kidnapped and you found yourself on a shadow planet with a light gun.. I think it was something called "Shadow of Darkness" or "Heart of Darkness"..

Edit:

Heart of Darkness

Legend Of Legaia for PS1. Think Street Fighter mixed with Final Fantasy, there was a sequal for PS2 which I nevered played but this is probably one of the most underrated RPG's of all time.

Mr. Bones for Sega Saturn. A complete mind-fuck of a game that was really ahaead of it's time. Got poor reviews and is never ever talked about but I fucking loved it. Very unique.

Mr. Bones for Sega Saturn. A complete mind-fuck of a game that was really ahaead of it's time. Got poor reviews and is never ever talked about but I fucking loved it. Very unique.

You forgot to mention the terrific soundtrack.

anyone remember Amagon for the nes? in this game you were some soldier guy with a gun who could transform himself into the title name, like an incredible hulk ripoff who was really strong. and you went around fighting aliens or something My parents bought it for me as a kid and I liked it but no one I nkonwo remembers it, though it it is on gamefaqs.com with some (mostly bad) reviews.

Guest Princess Leena
Mutant League Football. You could bribe or kill the referees.

Mutant League Hockey was more obscure. That was fun, also... but football was better since it shared the Madden engine, and had a lot more obstacles.

Cooking Mama and Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! on the DS are absolutly awesome.

I dont know many people that played Parappa the Rapper on the PS1 or Rollcage for that matter. But i loved them both. I was also a fan of Bust A Groove despite being fucking rubbish at it.

As for the Mega Drive, games like Captain America And The Avengers was awesome, my mates and I used to play that for ages, that and Charles Barkley's Shut Up and Jam.

And did anyone here ever play Skitchin on the MD?