TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

2006-07 MLB Offseason Thread

Cabrera plays in a no pressure environment. He's not going to get $200 million from any team and be allowed to live in that bubble anymore. I'm not saying he will fail, but no one knows how he'd handle the daily grind in a New York, Boston, Chicago etc., and even if he gets the money from a smaller market team looking to make a huge splash there's no guarantee he makes them a championship contender. Just look at A-Rod and how $252 million and all of the baggage that came with it damaged his psyche, his game and has essentially made one of the greatest talents in the history of the sport appear to have a shitty year when he "only" puts up top 10-15 MVP stats instead of top 3 MVP stats.

Yeah, he was pretty terrible in the '03 NLCS and World Series.

Here's one for you:

On the list of people you don't expect to get arrested... D-Train arrested for DUI this morning.

Oops.

Guest NYankees

I heard on ESPN Radio that he was arrested for suspecion of DUI. A Miami police officer caught Dontrelle getting out of his Bentley and urinating in the street at 4 a.m.

I was half asleep when I heard that. Reminds me of the time when I heard that Jerome Bettis died on ESPN Radio, but that was at night. I couldn't have been the only one who heard that.

Bruiser, how the heck did you manage a 1 hour, 30 minute double post?

I...don't know. I left the computer after posting, so I was still technically in the thread when I came back later. I did hit the refresh button, so maybe that explains it.

And Dontrelle's probably the last guy I'd suspect to be busted on such charges.

Guest Princess Leena

So, let's have a discussion on Alex Rodriguez.

1) Do you think he'll retire as the greatest SS/3B in history?

2) Will he break Barroid's HR record?

3) Will he be regarded as the greatest player in history?

4) Will he bat for 60+ HR's in a single season?

5) When will the Yankees mercifully let him go?

1) Do you think he'll retire as the greatest SS/3B in history? No-If he would of continued playing SS than maybe.

2) Will he break Barroid's HR record? No

3) Will he be regarded as the greatest player in history? No

4) Will he bat for 60+ HR's in a single season? No

5) When will the Yankees mercifully let him go? No

He will go down as the greatest SS/3B, but not the greatest SS or 3B. I blame Christ Jeter for not moving to 3rd. Only a selfish prick makes the best defensive player at his position move.

He should, but then Pujols will break his mark unless Albert's got the whole "Dominican shave 4 years off of your birthday thing going on".

Never. His reputation today is more for being an overpaid choker, and the guy's already a Hall of Famer. Unless he goes on a Bondsian run at some point in his late 30's I think that rep is going to stick.

Not unless he leaves the Yankees. He probably would have done it already in Boston.

I'm guessing next offseason because he's too stupid to ask to leave now. Maybe one more season of everyone in the city hating him might get him to finally change his mind.

P.S. I love how the guys above me answered "no" to a question that asks when something will happen.

No

No, but if he does, it will be broken shortly after

Absolutely not

No way

Hopefully soon...like naiwf said, at least one more year

Every Jeter basher needs to understand this.

They asked A-Rod if he wanted to come here and he said he'd move to 3rd to come here. Jeter didn't force him to do shit.

Unfortunately, no. He would have gone down as the greatest SS in history, but the mid-career position change will ruin that proposition. As for 3B, he doesn't have the defensive reputation or the body of work from that position to warrant status amongst the all-time greats.

Probably not. There are too many factors related to age and injuries that prevent us from extrapolating a trajectory from his known production. He is definitely on in the conversation, though, and if he can continue at a respectable pace for another 8-12 years, he'd have an excellent shot.

No, because being regarded as the greatest player has as much to do with perception as it does with performance. The perception of Alex Rodriguez is that he is an overpaid primadonna who can't perform in the clutch. He can't be the center focus of a team that hopes to compete and his numbers only come in a no pressure environment. His teams get better after he leaves. It won't matter what the final numbers say or what his career trajectory is from this point forward, he's already been labeled as a failure.

Not in Yankee Stadium he won't. It's far too hard to hit home runs in that park. If he ends up with another team, it would be easier, but I think his biggest power years are probably already behind him.

They won't have to. He'll opt out of his contract next offseason.

Are you kidding me? If A-Rod opted for free agency next year, he'd probably get a six to eight year deal with an AAV of $20 million+. He would make a lot more money if he got another long-term deal next offseason instead of waiting three years when he might be heading towards an age-related decline.

Interesting questions Leena.

Doubtful. Honus Wagner's lead at shortstop is virtually insurmountable. At third base, Rodriguez might pass Mike Schmidt in production but he can not match the gold gloves. Rodriguez could rank as high as second though if rated as a shortstop.

One interesting thing here. I looked up shortstops by batting average before they turned 31. The shortstop with the highest average (.331) was the recently departed Cecil Travis. Travis might very well have been a Hall of Famer if not for World War II.

No. Rodriguez still needs 300 home runs, which is a full career for most players.

No. Rodriguez doesn't rank high enough except in counting stats. A better question would be if he were to land in the top 20 or so.

His 48 HRs set a Yankee Stadium record for right handers. I doubt he can go any higher.

As Cheech noted, Rodriguez would be wise to opt out after 2008 if the market holds.

No, if only because everyone hates him so much that he won't be recognized as such. There's a good chance that he could be the best, but he'd need some astronomical numbers over the next few seasons to reach that status, at least IMO.

Barry won't ever get to the record, so no. He'll break Aaron's mark.

Not a chance.

No.

They won't let him go, but he'll decide to opt out. He'll get more on the open market in a place that appreciates his talents more.

1. There's an argument to be made for him at SS. SI already named him as the SS on their all-time team. As far as SS/3B goes the list is a lot shorter, but Cal Ripken is really, really popular....

2. I don't think so, he's got an outside shot, but it's highly doubtful. He's 31 and already has 464. I expect him to hit 500 in 07. I doubt he plays past 36-37 years of age though, and he'd need to to break the record. And playing in Yankee Stadium he's not going to hit 50+ in a year, which he'd need a few of to even be close to Bonds. I do think he's got a good shot at passing Willie Mays.

3. Absolutely not, nor should he be, but his numbers will always put him in the conversation.

4. No. His best shot was playing in Arlington.

5. They won't. Nor will A-Rod opt out. He'll have a great, relatively controversy free year in 07, win the gold glove, the Yankees will battle their way to a world series victory behind his clutch hitting, Joe Torre, Bernie Williams and in a shocker Mariano Rivera will retire as champions, and A-Rod will play out his career in pinstripes as a beloved NY sports hero.

1) Do you think he'll retire as the greatest SS/3B in history? No

2) Will he break Barroid's HR record? He has the potential, but I don't see him having the longevity to do it.

3) Will he be regarded as the greatest player in history? Not a chance. Even if an argument could be made for him, this whole Yankees fiasco will prevent him from being regarded as such. Besides, better than Ty Cobb & Babe Ruth? I can't see it.

4) Will he bat for 60+ HR's in a single season? No. He's pretty much hit his ceiling.

5) When will the Yankees mercifully let him go? The question isn't a matter of when the Yankees will let him go (they won't), but when he will choose to leave.

5. They won't. Nor will A-Rod opt out. He'll have a great, relatively controversy free year in 07, win the gold glove, the Yankees will battle their way to a world series victory behind his clutch hitting, Joe Torre, Bernie Williams and in a shocker Mariano Rivera will retire as champions, and A-Rod will play out his career in pinstripes as a beloved NY sports hero.

And Brett Favre retires this off-season after winning Super Bowl MVP honours in a 55-10 drubbing of Buffalo.

Just for anyone who hasn't seen it, here's the D-Train mugshot. I only wish he had on a crooky hat...

311xInlineGallery.jpg

In other news, the Yanks/Braves/Bucs deal involving LaRoche going to Pittsburgh, Melky going to Atlanta, and Mike Gonzales going to New York is being finalized as we speak.

Guest "Go, Mordecai!"

Have the Yankees made any big moves yet? This is a weird offseason, in that they seem to be staying put.

Brian Cashman is finally in full control, so the moves are making much more sense without any input from the morons in Tampa with Steinbrenner's ear.

They just signed Cuban defector Juan Miranda today. Link

So far this offseason:

Signed Andy Pettitte (1 year + option/$16 Mil)

Signed Kei Igawa (5 years/$20 Mil + $25 Mil Posting Fee)

Traded Jaret Wright and cash to Baltimore for Chris Britton

Traded Gary Sheffield to Detroit for Humberto Sanchez + two other minor league pitchers

They also switched AAA affiliates from the Columbus Clippers to the Scranton-Wilkes Barre Yankees (Former Philadelphia affilate Red Barons)

Guest "Go, Mordecai!"
Ex-Rays catcher Toby Hall, nontendered by the Dodgers, said several teams called and he expected better options (Phillies? White Sox? Yankees?) than a minor-league contract the Rays might offer. "That was funny," Hall said. "I guess it would be a minor-league contract because they're a minor-league team."

Surprise! This guy is now a White Sock!