TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AmericanDragon

Joe Rogan vs. Carlos Mencia

Citrus-

Coming from a stand-up comedian who also manges a major comedy nightclub please take this next statement to heart:

Your retarded.

...With all respect intended, and I do mean all respect meant, you might want to correct your spelling before calling someone else's intelligence faulty. I say that not to be insulting, so please don't take it as such.

It'll mean they'll probably go see my act if they like it. Free publicity.

Now this makes sense. Yeah I'm probably contradicting my earlier statement, but I agree with both.

Mathematical equations applied to moral issues? No, that's wrong. Mathematics should never be applied to anything that isn't black and white. Citrus, you're trying to compare stealing a candy bar with robbing some old woman of her life savings and sending her onto the street. Downloading a song, movie, TV show = stealing a candy bar. Yes, it's TECHNICALLY wrong, but it doesn't really affect the "victim" in a major way. Makes their product/service more well-known, and thus more likely to make money. Stealing somebody else's work and claiming it as your own = robbing soem old woman of her life savings and sending her onto the street. It's reprehensible, and you're taking somebody else's product and then kicking them in the teeth while saying "it's mine, it's mine, HAHA!" I don't understand how somebody can't see the difference between victimless crime and life-wrecking crime. That's like saying there's no difference between purse-snatching and murder, dude. That's not even really a stretch, either: you're either taking something replaceable or ruining somebody's life.

Well then, I guess I'll just have to be hopeless, whatever the fuck that means... :rolleyes:

Stealing is stealing is stealing. Everything else is rationalization.

I understand you perfectly: I understand that, in your opinion, there's some circumstances in which stealing is okay, or at least "harmless," like if x = 4, and y >= 5, then it's stealing, but if y < 4, then it's not really stealing. And I'm saying that's bullshit; if x = 4, then it's fucking stealing, and I don't care if y = 2, 3, 5, or banana truck, it's still stealing

Downloading a song or movie is not the same as stealing a comedian's bit and passing it off as your own.

So you've got this har-line 'stealing is stealing is stealing' approach, yet it's still totally OK, in your view, for Mencia to steal? Now you're just being contrary for the sake of being contrary.

Well then, I guess I'll just have to be hopeless, whatever the fuck that means... :rolleyes:

Stealing is stealing is stealing. Everything else is rationalization.

I understand you perfectly: I understand that, in your opinion, there's some circumstances in which stealing is okay, or at least "harmless," like if x = 4, and y >= 5, then it's stealing, but if y

Downloading a song or movie is not the same as stealing a comedian's bit and passing it off as your own.

Sorry Dub-Cee, but I've gotta agree with bob here.

Stealing is wrong - no one here can dispute that. But I stand to make no profit from downloading the new Green Day album. Carlos Mencia is making a fuckton of money by taking other people's jokes and passing them off as his own. Both are examples of stealing, but one is clearly worse than the other.

What Citrus isn't getting is that in the comedy world, stealing someone's material isn't the same as downloading an album off a P2P network or torrenting a movie that just got released in theaters or something like that. Stealing someone's act is almost similar to appropriating someone's specific intellectual property, because you're taking something that is very unique, that someone likely spent a great deal of time and effort and thought into creating, and basically misappropriating it for your own use. It's not like downloading a CD off the net, it's more like plagiarizing entire chapters of someone else's book for your own novel, and claiming it as your own.

Mencia and Dane Cook have ripped off people for years. Rogan is one of the few who's the most vocal about it, although apparently around the comic community their theft is acknowledged if not outright stated all the time. The reason that Mencia & Cook have gotten away with it up until now is because both are good at marketing themselves, so club owners are willing to let them get away with this shit because they put asses in seats.

I have to say that I respect Rogan here. He's not afraid to back his shit up, and even confront guys like Mencia face to face.

Again, to re-focus my point, if Rogan didn't shoot off his big mouth by taking a needless cheap shot at Mencia, we wouldn't have gotten into this mess to begin with. Granted, I blame the Comedy Store for not stepping in and breaking it up to have it taken to the back in private instead of wasting everybody's time out in the open, but I don't blame Mencia for confronting him because he's a man damn it! Not like that candyass Joe Rogan.

If Rogan were so right about his accusations, then he should have a page on his website dedicated to it. Seeing video after video of proprietary jokes would give his jihad credibility because all I've gotten so far is a bunch of claims and a clip of the Wall joke being used and honestly, anybody with half a brain could have come up with that one.

Again, to re-focus my point, if Rogan didn't shoot off his big mouth by taking a needless cheap shot at Mencia, we wouldn't have gotten into this mess to begin with.
What? This is a good thing. Ned is getting exposed as the joke theif that he is. The only mess is watching Ned's credibility go down the toilet.

Granted, I blame the Comedy Store for not stepping in and breaking it up to have it taken to the back in private instead of wasting everybody's time out in the open

Why would they stop something that was entertaining the audience and exposing someone as a worthless joke theif?

but I don't blame Mencia for confronting him because he's a man damn it!
A real man steals jokes!

Not like that candyass Joe Rogan.

Ignorance.

If Rogan were so right about his accusations, then he should have a page on his website dedicated to it.
He's done interviews and videos talking about Mencia being a joke theif.

Seeing video after video of proprietary jokes would give his jihad credibility because all I've gotten so far is a bunch of claims and a clip of the Wall joke being used and honestly, anybody with half a brain could have come up with that one.

Jihad?

Ned's a joke theif and piece of shit. Accept it

This is like me ripping the cover off Moby Dick and placing a new cover called Big Ass Fish by Ripper and pretending I wrote it.

Big Ass Mammal

So you've got this har-line 'stealing is stealing is stealing' approach, yet it's still totally OK, in your view, for Mencia to steal? Now you're just being contrary for the sake of being contrary.

It's not being contrary to be contrary: me saying "stealing is stealing is stealing" does not equal me saying "I think stealing is wrong." I didn't actually say that.

I'm not the one saying that it's okay to be a little bit wrong, as long as you're not a whole lot wrong. I'm saying it's all wrong... and, fuck it, let 'em be wrong.

Pirating music is copyright infringement, not theft. Making that argument even more stupid than it already was.

Not all theft is copyright infringement, but that doesn't mean that copyright infringement isn't theft... taking something that costs money without paying for it is stealing.

All that crap I posted

Right because EVERY single joke on EVERY single episode of MoM HAS TO BE STOLEN!!!

Pirating music is copyright infringement, not theft. Making that argument even more stupid than it already was.

Not all theft is copyright infringement, but that doesn't mean that copyright infringement isn't theft... taking something that costs money without paying for it is stealing.

Im pretty sure you're just being stubborn. When people download music and use it for personal use, yes it is theft, but they arent making a career out of it and gaining nation wide fame for downloading an album. Both what Carlos is doing and downloading music isn't right morally, but the latter isn't shooting off the legs of what could be an up and coming comic.

The thing about music d/ling is that usually the more popular of a download, the more its bought by the general public. When someone hears Carlos saying someone else's material it doesnt make them go watch the original comic, they either give Carlos money or think he's a dumb hack.

Right because EVERY single joke on EVERY single episode of MoM HAS TO BE STOLEN!!!

Jesus, no one said that, dumbass.

And Citrus? There are very different gradations of crime for a reason. To take your stupid mathematical analogy,

involuntary manslaughter

!=

murder in the first degree.

You know why? They're not the same!

QED

All that crap I posted

Did you not quote my post because you know I didn't actually say that?

I think it's funny BVD calls Rogan a "candy ass," considering the guy is pretty jacked and trained in numerous fighting disciplines. Ned Holson fucking sucks, period. All he's doing is stealing someone else's not funny jokes and trying to capitalize on Dave Chappelle's social/racial humor. He's a douche bag, a thief and an all-around unfunny piece of shit.

EDIT: And I call him Ned Holson, his real name, because it pisses me off he goes by a more Latino sounding pseudonymn to sound more ethnic. God he sucks.

Im pretty sure you're just being stubborn.

I disagree, but that's neither here nor there.

When people download music and use it for personal use, yes it is theft, but they arent making a career out of it and gaining nation wide fame for downloading an album. Both what Carlos is doing and downloading music isn't right morally, but the latter isn't shooting off the legs of what could be an up and coming comic.

I will concede this particular point, and go back to what I said originally, which is basically that, as long as Carlos Mencia makes me laugh, I could personally give a fuck less about said up and coming comic.

Im pretty sure you're just being stubborn.

I disagree, but that's neither here nor there.

When people download music and use it for personal use, yes it is theft, but they arent making a career out of it and gaining nation wide fame for downloading an album. Both what Carlos is doing and downloading music isn't right morally, but the latter isn't shooting off the legs of what could be an up and coming comic.

I will concede this particular point, and go back to what I said originally, which is basically that, as long as Carlos Mencia makes me laugh, I could personally give a fuck less about said up and coming comic.

But that's another problem, what if he doesn't even tell it as good as the other guy? Think of it like this, what if Mencia ripped off Mitch Hedburg's act before he got big? There's no f'ing way it would be as good, but it would be good enough to make you laugh. By Carlos stealing jokes from several comics and fitting them to his style doesn't mean he does it justice. If Carlos did Hedburg material, it would still be a little funny, but not even on the same level as Mitch's delivery and style.

But that's another problem, what if he doesn't even tell it as good as the other guy? Think of it like this, what if Mencia ripped off Mitch Hedburg's act before he got big? There's no f'ing way it would be as good, but it would be good enough to make you laugh. By Carlos stealing jokes from several comics and fitting them to his style doesn't mean he does it justice. If Carlos did Hedburg material, it would still be a little funny, but not even on the same level as Mitch's delivery and style.

But that was my whole argument: Mencia stole his act from George Lopez; okay, fine. I've heard George Lopez's act... Mencia does Lopez's act better that Lopez does Lopez's act. Ergo, I think Mencia's funny, and don't give a shit about George Lopez.

The majority of Lopez' delivery is STOLEN from Paul Rodriguez who STOLE it from Cheech and Chong. Seriously, why is this thread still going on?