TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AmericanDragon

Joe Rogan vs. Carlos Mencia

Rogan's a fairly funny comedian who has some awesome rants on his site. He was the two time Taekwondo national champion, does FerFactor, acted in Newsradio, and comments on UFC. Generally, I'll always give him the benfit of the doubt for being on Newsradio (the commentaries therein, he fucking rips Fear Factor)

Mencia? He's the worst popular comic ever. I'd take fucking Gallagher over him. It's like he saw the Chapelle show and thought the only thing funny about it was saying the "n' word. And proceeded to think saying 'wetback' a lot was hilarious. I have seen exactly one funny sketch or bit from his, and it was just ok, i.e. wetback mountain. (OMG he said wetback)

Guest DogOn

Carlos "Ned" Mencia VS. Joe "Never Landed on the Moon" Rogan - UFC 68 baby! Battle of the crappy comics.

Rogan has a lot of anger towards comedians who steal jokes, and has been extremely vocal about it. And he is an animal so anyone who stands up to him, is likely to get their jaw unhinged and torn off.

You obviously haven't heard his trademark bit:

White people are all like Umph Shmruumph, like, let's play GALLLLLLLLF! (must scream, otherwise it won' be funny.)

And then Mexican people are all like.... um..... Quesadilla! wetback. Um, mexican people. YELLLLLLLL!

I will recite a stereoptypic things very LOOOOWWWWDDD! I want to kick him in his cunt.

If you like Joe Rogan or not, there is no defense of Carlos Mencia and his suckiness and you have to admit that Rogan ripped him a new on there.

I got over Ned's hype after watching the first season of his Comedy Central show. Joe Rogan should get his own tv series on HBO or Showtime where he uses the format from Mythbusters or Cheaters but apply it to stand up comedy hunting the people who steal standup material.

Mencia? He's the worst popular comic ever. I'd take fucking Gallagher over him. It's like he saw the Chapelle show and thought the only thing funny about it was saying the "n' word. And proceeded to think saying 'wetback' a lot was hilarious. I have seen exactly one funny sketch or bit from his, and it was just ok, i.e. wetback mountain. (OMG he said wetback)
To be fair Ned did say "Beaner" and "alalalalalalalala" and "re-tard-ed" one too many times on the tv show. It might of worked on his comedy albums but as a tv show it was hard to stretch out the racial jokes into a weekly program.

You obviously haven't heard his trademark bit:

White people are all like Umph Shmruumph, like, let's play GALLLLLLLLF! (must scream, otherwise it won' be funny.)

And then Mexican people are all like.... um..... Quesadilla! wetback. Um, mexican people. YELLLLLLLL!

I will recite a stereoptypic things very LOOOOWWWWDDD! I want to kick him in his cunt.

Oh and at the end of every whiteman joke Mencia refers to the whiteman as Jonathan! Every mexican is Jose! And every arab is Ack-mend or Habib!

Ok, so we get it now, Rogan hates Mencia for various reasons. Now the real question is will Joe keep pursuing this or is it actually over now?

Ha I knew Larry the Cable Guy was a shitty act. The thing that gets me though is that when he's on radio shows and other appearances, he goes as Larry the Cable Guy. If he let people in on the fact that it was all just an act, people might actually consider him a "comic genius" a la Borat.

Rogan's a fairly funny comedian who has some awesome rants on his site. He was the two time Taekwondo national champion, does FerFactor, acted in Newsradio, and comments on UFC. Generally, I'll always give him the benfit of the doubt for being on Newsradio (the commentaries therein, he fucking rips Fear Factor)

It's called Joe gets paid.

I don't like watching Mencia at all. I like Rogan, but then again, I haven't seen much of his stand up.

This totally pales to the awesome, thorough and brutal shitkicking that David Cross gave Larry the cable Guy on his site. Just throughly unleashes anal rampage on 'Larry'.

All my Texas friends from college fucking just LOOOOOVED the fucking redneck comedy tour. Nothing like being in a room full of rednecks roaring with lafter at Jeff Fuckin' Foxworthy while you just sit there, aghast. They all liked 'My Humps' too. Fuckin' weird.

This totally pales to the awesome, thorough and brutal shitkicking that David Cross gave Larry the cable Guy on his site. Just throughly unleashes anal rampage on 'Larry'.

All my Texas friends from college fucking just LOOOOOVED the fucking redneck comedy tour. Nothing like being in a room full of rednecks roaring with lafter at Jeff Fuckin' Foxworthy while you just sit there, aghast. They all liked 'My Humps' too. Fuckin' weird.

It pisses me off that Ron White was on that thing.

Here is a clip of Dane Cook stealing Louis CK's material

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nh_xfJZxvto

Here is a clip of Joe Rogan on Howard Stern's show contronting the owner of a comedy club, not sure if it The Comedy Store or not....regarding Carlos Mencia/Dane Cook and others stealing jokes....towards the middle of the clip they talk about when Lopez kicked Mencia's ass and choked him for stealing his bits. The engineers on the Stern show actually play the above clip during this audio clip...right about the middle of the clip.

http://media.putfile.com/Joe-Rogan-Exposes-Joke-Thieves

Here's something I never understood about "joke-stealing" and any clarification would be appreciated but why don't many comedians copywrite their material (I know the big guns do)? I understand ripping someone's act (which is virtually impossible not to) but as far specific material, why can't or don't comedians do more legal action rather then going on Stern and bitching?

Here's something I never understood about "joke-stealing" and any clarification would be appreciated but why don't many comedians copywrite their material (I know the big guns do)? I understand ripping someone's act (which is virtually impossible not to) but as far specific material, why can't or don't comedians do more legal action rather then going on Stern and bitching?

They probably SHOULD, but my guess is that they don't really write entire bits down on paper, maybe just some cues and/or notes to remind them of what jokes they are going to do, that way when they are performing it doesn't give off a "reading a script" vibe. I mean good comedy, a lot of the times is more then just the jokes itself, the delivery, stage presence, gimmick stuff like that helps and/or hurts.

Here is a clip of Joe Rogan on Howard Stern's show contronting the owner of a comedy club, not sure if it The Comedy Store or not....regarding Carlos Mencia/Dane Cook and others stealing jokes....towards the middle of the clip they talk about when Lopez kicked Mencia's ass and choked him for stealing his bits. The engineers on the Stern show actually play the above clip during this audio clip...right about the middle of the clip.

http://media.putfile.com/Joe-Rogan-Exposes-Joke-Thieves

That's from O&A.

Cause they usually test run the bits in various comedy clubs to make sure the bits work. By then, other comedians have heard the bit and if that comedian is famous, it'll be on TV before a copyright can even be filed.

And Carlos got Joe banned from the Comedy Store. Nice. Looks like Rogan wasn't kidding, Carlos has HOLLYWOOD POWERS!

Cause they usually test run the bits in various comedy clubs to make sure the bits work. By then, other comedians have heard the bit and if that comedian is famous, it'll be on TV before a copyright can even be filed.

And Carlos got Joe banned from the Comedy Store. Nice. Looks like Rogan wasn't kidding, Carlos has HOLLYWOOD POWERS!

It's not so much "hollywood powers" as it is a small club owner having a guy like Mencia, who sells out the place, not wanting him exposed for being a fraud and having people not pay to see him anymore.

Im not that big of a fan of Mencia either but at least hes at least somewhat funny...

Carlos Mencia's act was somewhat funny when my dad did it almost word for word at the dinner table 20 years ago, but I can't say it's still that funny now.

I think part of the issue is that guys with more success/better delivery/dumb luck are getting away with this. Yes, Dane Cook stole those 3 bits from Louis CK's act, but that's not gonna stop people from going to see Dane Cook. Mencia stealing bits from George Lopez or anyone else isn't going to end his deal with Comedy Central as long as his show pulls in ratings. For every person who won't support Cook or Mencia there are many others who don't care where the material came from as long as it makes them laugh. Now you can argue whether Cook, Mencia or anyone else is funny, but the simple fact that you know who they are indicates enough people thought they were funny for them to become a "name" comic. For example, I don't think Dane Cook's was the best standup act I've ever seen on CC but a bunch of people voted him # 1 last month. Shit happens and going on a crusade to bring these guys down probably only gives them even more exposure. That guy who wouldn't admit Mencia or Cook is a thief (when it's obvious they are) had no problem naming Robin Williams as one, and I'm pretty sure almost everyone knows who Robin Williams is by sight. Stealing bits hasn't exactly hurt any of these guys and I think THAT pisses off guys like Rogan more than the fact they steal.

For every person who won't support Cook or Mencia there are many others who don't care where the material came from as long as it makes them laugh.

:: raises hand ::

I think that Mencia's funny (his standup, anyway; his show, I could take or leave), and I don't care even one little bit that he stole from George Lopez... if Mencia did steal from him, apparently he figured out something that Lopez didn't that made it funny, since I don't find Lopez funny.

Im not that big of a fan of Mencia either but at least hes at least somewhat funny...

Carlos Mencia's act was somewhat funny when my dad did it almost word for word at the dinner table 20 years ago, but I can't say it's still that funny now.

I'm going to steal this.

For every person who won't support Cook or Mencia there are many others who don't care where the material came from as long as it makes them laugh.

:: raises hand ::

I think that Mencia's funny (his standup, anyway; his show, I could take or leave), and I don't care even one little bit that he stole from George Lopez... if Mencia did steal from him, apparently he figured out something that Lopez didn't that made it funny, since I don't find Lopez funny.

Horrible.

The fact that you support someone who put no time into their act, except for watching other comedians and ripping them off, is pretty dumb. Mencia didn't steal just from Lopez, he's stolen from lots of other comedians. Don't support a joke theif