TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lord of The Curry

SuperBad

That movie was just fucking amazing.

Everyone in my theater was worried the two were gonna go gay at the end, but they were happy when they hooked back up with the girls. The period pants may have been the most popular part of the movie where I was.

Funniest movie i've seen in a while.

Evan singing for the guys with cocaine was hilarious. And the guy asking Seth to stay still for a minute so he can take a picture of his blood stain was also funny. Tons of funny parts in the movie

Overall I think it was just all right. There were sequences in the film that were very, very funny, but I also felt that there were others that were just simply trying too hard to be funny and ended up being not so. I honestly though 90% of the stuff with the cops and McLovin wasn't funny at all, it just didn't do anything for me. I was a bit disappointed that the ending of the film was a bit too cliche. Guess what, in reality these fat nerdy kids are gonna arrive at the party, have their beer stolen, get their asses kicked, and get thrown out of the party, and they can certainly make that very funny and it probably would have worked a little better for me since it would have at least been logical. Perhaps I am over analyzing the film. Judged against other similar movies, this was definitely a good film, but I probably wouldn't even put it on my top 10 of the year so far. I give it a B

Hilarious.

Period pants, dick drawing, and "blow jay" got the biggest pops. Pretty much anything with McLovin and the cops was gold in my theatre.

I think we have a new classic.

Fucking loved it. Miles ahead of Knocked Up (and I LOVED Knocked Up). So fucking funny.

The best part was

when Seth got hit with the car for the first time at the liquor store

, it was so random and out of nowhere, I nearly died laughing

Actually what got a weird monster laugh at my theater was

The drunk yelling "OH NO BLUE MEN!"

. Also the Seth/Becca childhood scene was classic.

How can you not love McLovin? Seriously, his stuff was great with the cops.

OH SHIT THE COPS!

also got a big laugh.

Probably one of the funniest movies I've seen in a theater in a long time. I didn't check out Knocked Up though, so I might have to search it down now.

It is a classic. It's our generation's Fast Times. Fuck American Pie.

However, and I know I will be in an extreme minority, Hot Rod was funnier. Superbad had heart and shit, and taught you things about yourself, and was a better movie, but Hot Rod seriously almost killed me.

Superbad kicks about 10 million different types of ass.

I can't remember the last time I laughed as loud in a theater as I did for

"Oh Shit, the cops"

Also, how did anybody think they were going to go gay at the end? Haven't you ever gotten totally drunk and told your friend you love them? Like, "No seriously. I love you. No, you don't understand what this means. I love you." That's not gay at all, it's just sweet. I do that all the time.

Sony raced into first place with its new teen sex comedy Superbad which powered its way to an opening day gross of $12M, according to estimates. The tally was even higher than producer Judd Apatow's last film Knocked Up (his directorial effort) which opened to $9.9M on its way to a $30.7M debut weekend. Since teen movies typically see more of their weekend business on Friday, Superbad might find its way to a similar $29-32M.

-boxofficeguru.

Damn

People in the theater actually cheered (well, clapped enthusiastically) when that asshole got smashed in the face by the cop at the end.

Funny shit, I still thought on the whole that Knocked Up was a better movie but this had more belly-laugh/riotous theater reaction moments. McLovin's career is toast, that guy's going to be the new Napoleon Dynamite in terms of typecasting. I actually agree with what Inc said in that it seemed at times they were trying too hard to make Seth a serious prick when he didn't need to be.

And holy shit Martha McIssac you are one filthy-talking, cute as fuck Canadian chick. Bravo dear.

People in the theater actually cheered (well, clapped enthusiastically) when that asshole got smashed in the face by the cop at the end.

Same thing in the theater I went too. The cops were great.

I agree with the sentiment that while Knocked Up and The 40 Year Old Virgin[ were better movies, this had more laugh out loud moments. Funniest movie of the summer by far

My favorite part was

Evan and the cokeheads singing "These Eyes"

That just killed me for some reason

This was the most fun I've had at the theater in years. It was well worth my eight dollars.

I did go to the bar beforehand, so it's possible that I need to watch it without a buzz.

Excellent movie, I really can't wait to see it again, also the preview for Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story was hilarious.

Am I the only one who thought that didn't look appealing at all?

Overall I think it was just all right. There were sequences in the film that were very, very funny, but I also felt that there were others that were just simply trying too hard to be funny and ended up being not so. I honestly though 90% of the stuff with the cops and McLovin wasn't funny at all, it just didn't do anything for me. I was a bit disappointed that the ending of the film was a bit too cliche. Guess what, in reality these fat nerdy kids are gonna arrive at the party, have their beer stolen, get their asses kicked, and get thrown out of the party, and they can certainly make that very funny and it probably would have worked a little better for me since it would have at least been logical. Perhaps I am over analyzing the film. Judged against other similar movies, this was definitely a good film, but I probably wouldn't even put it on my top 10 of the year so far. I give it a B

Sounds like you've just had some bad experiences.

Walk Hard worked as a trailer, much like the faux Grindhouse trailers worked as trailers. I don't know that I'd like the full movie of Walk Hard.

But ya know what pre-Superbad trailer fucking rocked? No Country for Old Men.

While I won’t go as far to proclaim this as a classic or even the best comedy of this summer, it was still quite a fun clichéd raunchy teen comedy. It did suffer from a few instances of drag and a couple of moments that just felt completely flat. I’ll agree that Seth was an insufferable prick and that probably played a key role in the aforementioned drag moments. However, McLovin could do no wrong and stole the movie as expected.

While I won’t go as far to proclaim this as a classic or even the best comedy of this summer, it was still quite a fun clichéd raunchy teen comedy. It did suffer from a few instances of drag and a couple of moments that just felt completely flat. I’ll agree that Seth was an insufferable prick and that probably played a key role in the aforementioned drag moments. However, McLovin could do no wrong and stole the movie as expected.

I think all Apatow related movies have been 15 minutes too long from being surefire comedy classics. Most of them are great but they're all 15-20 minutes too long.

This was a lot, lot better than either 40 Year Old Virgin or Knocked Up. I found Steve Carell almost unbelievably lame in Virgin, to the point where I felt it was more sad and creepy than all that funny. And Knocked Up had a few too many serious scenes (and yes, it was long winded). I have to admit that I just had trouble identifying with the main characters in those 2 films.

Superbad? It's much funnier than either of the previous 2. While watching it I couldn't help but think it was destined to be a new teen classic. It has a little more on its mind about actual friendship than something like Porky's (which is primarily about getting laid) and didn't suffer from the uncomfortable tone shifts that Fast Times has (here's Spicoli getting high....and now here's an abortion subplot). And I might put it higher than American Graffiti since I just never felt that movie had a coherent center to it, just a bunch of characters running around with no cameraderie. McLovin kinda reminds me of Charles Martin Smith a little bit by the way.

Dazed and Confused is quite good in its own right, but I can't say I like it better than Superbad. Just can't relate to much of it, stuff like seniors beating up freshmen with paddles and all that. In HS as a freshman I don't recall seniors caring about freshmen at all, and as a senior I was almost more of a mentor/aide to the freshmen. Didn't know anyone who went around beating up freshmen. Also really couldn't identify with the football players refusing to sign the "no drugs and alcohol" paper, since it seems like a fairly reasonable request nowdays that a coach would ask of players.

The only real flaw I could think of is that some of the first party lasted a bit too long, keeping Seth and Evan away from McLovin.

The only real flaw I could think of is that some of the first party lasted a bit too long, keeping Seth and Evan away from McLovin.

Hit it on the head for me. Loved the movie but it was a bit frusturating having McLovin isolated from Seth/Evan.

I thought the credits were going to roll after Seth's "boop boop boop" on Evan's nose as it would have seemed like an appropriate ending. At that point, Evan now has confidence that he could end up with someone like Becca and that can be good enough for him heading into college. Meanwhile Seth now realizes that all he has to do is turn down the vulgar prickocity of his personality a tad to land a nice, pretty girl.