TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
alfdogg

NBA Playoffs 2007: Round 1

Not that I'd mind if they fired Avery, but the Mavs are looking pretty lost right now.

Oh, I hope the Mavs do. I really hope the Mavs do.

Guest Queen Leelee
What did Cuban just mouth to the camera?

"Fuck it, I'm buying the Cubs."

Yeah, that'll change things.

I've had enough of your anti-Cub bias.

It's not bias this time.

If Mr. Cuban is so distraught with losing, that will only make things worse. Then, he should buy some Buffalo sports teams.

Haha, "Dirk NoRingSki".

I'd say that no is the perfect way to describe his MVP status.

Unless he can win it all, does anybody else think this will be the game that people will look back on when Dirk calls it a career? He gets the MVP trophy for his regular season effort and shows nothing of MVP caliber when his team desperately needs it in the post season. Even without the Warriors being able to do no wrong, that was a shitty clutch performance from the supposed best team in the NBA.

Avery Johnson better get ready to get thrown under the bus during the off-season. It'd suck for him since there's nothing much he can do when his star player doesn't want to come out and play.

Can't fault Cuban for looking like shit right now. High expectations at the start of the season and they win 67 games. Everything looks really good, especially with the Heat getting swept. Then it's all goes up in flames and they go down in infamy in the first round.

I think Avery certainly deserves a small percentage of the blame. When you won 67 games in the regular season, you shouldn't need to change a goddamn thing, especially not for an 8 seed. When he put Devean George in the starting lineup, that let everyone know that the Warriors were in his head. From that point, Nellie just kept playing his mind games, and the Mavs fell for them and fell hard. I think they actually thought that the Warriors were just happy to be there.

The Magic were just happy to be there. The Warriors played to win.

Dirk still has plenty of time to get a ring. Until he does, his choking will stick out like a sore thumb amidst otherwise good stats.

He's kind of like Peyton Manning was until this February.

I'm starting to feel like I dreamed that whole Spurs series last year where Dirk was aggressive, went to the basket constantly, got 10+ FTA a game, and then scored 37 on the road in Game 7. All I'm reading everywhere is how Dirk's such a choker, and really that idea didn't even exist until about Game 5 of the Finals last year.

But he really did play terrible basketball this series. He was completely uninvolved in the offense, (as was Jason Terry actually), and Devin Harris going 1-on-4 was pretty much the only penetration we got the whole series. Again, I feel like I was watching a foreign team all through this series. Really disappointing.

Thank God I've got the Senators. I haven't been posting about them, but I've watched almost every playoff game of theirs this year, and I've been following them for several years. I'll watch a little bit of Suns/Spurs, but mostly, I'm going to be ignoring the NBA and focusing on hockey for as long as the Sens are still in.

Well at least we see iggy is alive...

damn.

Just crazy. Golden State I'd say has a good chance to make the conference finals against either of Houston or Utah. Odd to see out of the West, one of those three will make it to the conference finals.

EDIT:

mavsgonefishing.jpg

the best record in the league is cursed, they never win anything, and as such I was going to predict Dallas to lose to SA or Phoenix (whoever they woulda played in the conf finals) but man never thought it'd be so early.

Dallas' offense has really been disorganized all year, and I was certain it would be a problem come playoff time. Dirk isn't to completely blame as the offense hasn't been ran through him like it should have the entire season, he's actually been fazed out with Terry and other speedy ballhandlers taking over. The best player on the team needs touches everytime down the court, end of story. Of course Dirk's too blame for being passive in the playoffs but that's how things have been ran the entire year, and I place the blame squarely on Avery. You can't expect him to suddenly step up now and dominate now, he's a great player, but he's not a Bird or Jordan. Hell, even they had systems that ran through them. It didn't matter who they faced, it was only a matter of a time. I thought they would at least squeeze past the Warriors, but damn is this sad. What really surprised me was the slow lazy defense though, but that has alot to do with them simply being crushed and giving up. I say bring a real point guard into Dallas and see what happens, or at least better utlize Dirk as the go to man.

It's hard to really call this a shocking series, despite the records. It's actually pretty disturbing in the grand scheme of the playoffs now because at this point someone fairly mediocre is going to get to the conf. finals. The Warriors may well have a shot at winning the next round too, since neither Houston or Utah have shown much resembling decent play in this series. You know a series is a clunker when it's going 7 games and no one has scored 100 the entire series.

Congrats to the Warriors though. They played their asses off in this series and Dallas flat out didn't bother to show up. Is this the biggest upset in NBA history though? I don't know. It's not like Golden St. didn't own Dallas in the reg. season, or the Mavs former coach wasn't now with Golden St. and had their number. I'd probably rank it #2 behind Seattle/Denver in 1994, since that was the first time a 1 seed lost to an 8. I never thought the Knicks over the Heat in 1999 was a big upset though. It was a lockout year and let's face it, it's the Knicks and Heat doing their usual brawl.

Guest Richard McBeef
the best record in the league is cursed, they never win anything

'96 and '97 Bulls?

Oh, and that's like the best Gone Fishin' yet.

It's hard to really call this a shocking series, despite the records. It's actually pretty disturbing in the grand scheme of the playoffs now because at this point someone fairly mediocre is going to get to the conf. finals. The Warriors may well have a shot at winning the next round too, since neither Houston or Utah have shown much resembling decent play in this series. You know a series is a clunker when it's going 7 games and no one has scored 100 the entire series.

Congrats to the Warriors though. They played their asses off in this series and Dallas flat out didn't bother to show up. Is this the biggest upset in NBA history though? I don't know. It's not like Golden St. didn't own Dallas in the reg. season, or the Mavs former coach wasn't now with Golden St. and had their number. I'd probably rank it #2 behind Seattle/Denver in 1994, since that was the first time a 1 seed lost to an 8. I never thought the Knicks over the Heat in 1999 was a big upset though. It was a lockout year and let's face it, it's the Knicks and Heat doing their usual brawl.

And the actual brawl where all of Miami's important players got suspended while most to the Knick players who also left the bench mysteriously didn't get suspended.

I hated the heat and the Knicks back then but that was some bullish.

The Warriors are like a 50 win team with everyone healthy, and after the trade. Atleast it looks that way. But still it's surprising. I thought the Mavs would win in 6, but even the games that they did win, one had two Warrior players get ejected and the other saw them score 15 straight in the last 3 minutes to win. I know a bunch of people called this series (Ripper in 6), but i'm not sure if everyone expected two blowouts like the one in game 3 and game 6. Although after Barkley said that the Mavs would win the next 3 if they won game 2, I remember saying that there's no way in hell Dallas wins in GS. That's like the best basketball crowd ever.

Props to Stephen Jackson for stepping up. All of his teammates love him. Davis playing on one leg, Barnes is like my favorite player now and now I wish the Knicks never let him go, and Nellie for getting the job done against the guy who talked shit about you (Cuban). Great team effort.

EDIT: Ripper, Ewing and Houston got suspended for game 6, and Starks got suspended for game 7. We would've won that series. We were up 3-1.

Some might say that Dallas didn't respect their oppnent enough, that they overlooked them. It's probably more a case of Dallas giving Golden State TOO much respect. Like someone said before, with Avery changing the lineup and other such things, they let the Warriors dictate the flow of the series. I saw someone on T.V. even suggest that Dallas rested their starters in that last G.S. for fear of losing to them and giving them more confidence. This probably should've been a situation where the Mavs said "OK, we're a 67-win team and you're nothing to us."

Guest Queen Leelee
Thank God I've got the Senators. I haven't been posting about them

And I'd suggest keepin' it that way.

EDIT: Ripper, Ewing and Houston got suspended for game 6, and Starks got suspended for game 7. We would've won that series. We were up 3-1.

Charlie Ward was suspended for both games...not that he was a major factor for the Knicks, but still...

Hang on, which Knicks/Heat series are we talking about here? I was referring more to the 1999 series that the Knicks won that was the 1/8 matchup, but really seemed like a fairly even matchup to me. It wasn't as notable as either the 1997 series or 1998 though. The 1997 series is what everyone is mentioning here, that had the huge brawl with the Knicks getting suspended while up 3-1. The 1998 series had Alonzo kicking the crap out of Van Gundy, haha.

Yeah, I was thinking of the wrong year. That one 8 was the lockout year though and it was basically everyone trying to play back into shape until the playoffs got there.

yeah, I'm pretty sure the Knicks would have had a better record had they played the full season...they were obviously the best in the East that season.

yeah, I'm pretty sure the Knicks would have had a better record had they played the full season...they were obviously the best in the East that season.

of course ignoring Larry Johnson and the worst call in the history of the NBA to beat the Pacers....yeah.

The game would've been tied anyway, and we were at home. But man, after he hit that, that's probably my favorite crowd scene ever.

of course ignoring Larry Johnson and the worst call in the history of the NBA to beat the Pacers....yeah.

dude fuck you with that Pacers shit, Reggie Miller got away with pushing the shit out of Greg Anthony on his way to scoring 8 points in 30 seconds...payback is a bitch!

This last page of posts has been highly entertaining. Thank you, one and all.

Dallas losing wasn't so much of a shock, its how they lost that puts the question mark over my head.

dude fuck you with that Pacers shit, Reggie Miller got away with pushing the shit out of Greg Anthony on his way to scoring 8 points in 30 seconds...payback is a bitch!

LOL.

It would have helped if Anthony Mason hadn't said: "I know greg is on the ground and reggie is standing there, but I am going to pass it where Greg WOULD have been."

Not so much a steal by Reggie as a catch.