TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CBright7831

The Dark Knight

So...I watched Batman: Gotham Knight about an hour ago. Very cool. The stories were good and it was nice how they all linked together to make one big story. Very recommended.

I just picked it up today and Im about to watch it in a few hours. I plan to watch Batman Begins, Then Gotham Knight all over again the night before the movie is actually released. I've been a batman fan since Adam West was doing the little dance as batman on the TV show in the 80's.

Geez you know I just went to wikipedia....didnt know the show was that old. I just remember watching it on channel 11 here (in NY) as a little kid.

I didn't know it was possible not to have a general idea when that show was from. The majority of the guest villains were either dead or not far off when the series was getting its second life via syndication.

The one thing that kind of annoys me, and this isn't about anyone specific on here or anything, but people who are gushing all over this movie and Heath Ledger. Now don't get me wrong, I'm as stoked for this movie as anyone. I've been waiting for it since the opening night of Begins, and the minute Ledger was announced as the Joker (who is probably my favorite villain of all time) I was jacked. Alot of people (mostly friends of mine) shit all over it, saying he was gonna make it all "Brokeback" and shit. Over a year pass and we all know what went down, and these same people are gushing all over him and the movie. Phrases like "Praise Ledger", "Heath for Best Actor" and "Best Movie of the Summer" are being tossed around like they are nothing else.....

This fucking movie isn't even out yet. 99% of the people that will see this movie have only seen the 10 mins or so of clips and marketing that the studio has leaked. I think people should wait to make judgment on the movie till they see it, then start throwing around this crazy accreditations. Fucking people and their uninformed opinions.

But I guess.....Why So Serious?

I said the same thing last night. I know all the reviews of the film so far have been very praising, the same things were said about Spider-Man 3.

I agree as well about people getting WAY to fucking over hyped about this movie. While I think it's going to be very good as well, I'm not going around and saying it's going to be the best movie ever, or even the best Batman movie either. I'll wait and see it before I make any kind of judgement about it, but I am pretty pumped about seeing on opening night, as long as I can get a ticket.

I got my tickets to the midnight showing a couple of nights ago. I think they are showing it on all 16 screens at midnight at my theater.

I agree as well about people getting WAY to fucking over hyped about this movie. While I think it's going to be very good as well, I'm not going around and saying it's going to be the best movie ever, or even the best Batman movie either. I'll wait and see it before I make any kind of judgement about it, but I am pretty pumped about seeing on opening night, as long as I can get a ticket.

Eh, it might not be one of the best movies ever, but I can see it being the best batman film ever, at least that's what all the indications are. People used to to say how great Burton's two films were ( especially in comparision to shumacher's two) but they had they were quite flawed and Burton was always struggling to find the balance he wanted,I thought. Batman begins had its own problems, even though it was the best batman film up to that point. And I think TDK probably will be the best one since Nolan can only improve on what he's done before.

Eh, it might not be one of the best movies ever, but I can see it being the best batman film ever, at least that's what all the indications are. People used to to say how great Burton's two films were ( especially in comparision to shumacher's two) but they had they were quite flawed and Burton was always struggling to find the balance he wanted,I thought. Batman begins had its own problems, even though it was the best batman film up to that point. And I think TDK probably will be the best one since Nolan can only improve on what he's done before.

In my opinon (just my opinon), I still fine the 1989 Batman to be the best Batman.

I don't think the '89 Batman is even close to Batman Begins. If you watch it again after watching Batman Begins, its like ew.

In my opinon (just my opinon), I still fine the 1989 Batman to be the best Batman.

I was watching Batman last week, and it occured to me, I know everyone says Nicholson is the best part of the film, but I actually think he's the worst. He's just hamming it up all the time and it doesn't fit the movie. And falling into a tub of chemicals? That's laughable by today's standards. If Burton had been smarter, he'd have done with the Joker character what Nolan has done i.e take away the comic strip factor and just make him a straight up sociopath.

I think Burton wanted it both ways: the dark,gothic tone, but with the OTT, merchandise freindly characters and Hollywood conventions (Vickie was supposed to die at the end of the film, but they changed their minds, which is pity beccause it would have been a better than the tacked on happy ending)

I don't think the '89 Batman is even close to Batman Begins. If you watch it again after watching Batman Begins, its like ew.

Yeah, I watched it a couple of years ago. Keaton and Jack's performances are solid as hell, but overall the movie doesn't seem to have the same punch it used to

I said the same thing last night. I know all the reviews of the film so far have been very praising, the same things were said about Spider-Man 3.

No SpideMan 3 had some pretty bad buzz right before the movie opened, early reviews weren't so hot. Plus I remember a lot of misgivings people had about him trying to cram too much into the film (which turned out to be the case).

I think The Dark Knight is overhyped so far though. I definitly think it will be a great film and be very successfull but I don't think it's going to be breaking any records for opening weekend or anything. Remember, it's a sequel to Batman Begins and that movie did 200 million at the box office, so it's not like this one is going to make the whole gross of Batman Begins in 1 week or anything.

Could be wrong though, the reviews so far make it out to be a phenomenal film and there is all that news about presale sell outs.

I think The Dark Knight is overhyped so far though. I definitly think it will be a great film and be very successfull but I don't think it's going to be breaking any records for opening weekend or anything. Remember, it's a sequel to Batman Begins and that movie did 200 million at the box office, so it's not like this one is going to make the whole gross of Batman Begins in 1 week or anything.

Could be wrong though, the reviews so far make it out to be a phenomenal film and there is all that news about presale sell outs.

I remember reading the film is doing 8 times the ticket sales that spiderman 3 was at the same point in the sales cycle, which is pretty amazing. It could do a $200 million in its first week easily. It wouldn't be that unusual either: Austin powers 2 made more in first weekend than the first one did for its entire theatrical run.

I think it would have been huge anyway, but Ledger's death, and the phenomenal word of mouth its getting probably ensure it'll be one of the biggest hits of the year.

No SpideMan 3 had some pretty bad buzz right before the movie opened, early reviews weren't so hot. Plus I remember a lot of misgivings people had about him trying to cram too much into the film (which turned out to be the case).

Yeah, I didn't hear much good at all about Spidey 3. And after I saw it I pretty much agreed.

I trust Chris Nolan, love Bale as Batman, Michael Cain's great, and said from the beginning that Ledger as Joker sounded great. Overhyped or not I expect this to be great

I remember reading the film is doing 8 times the ticket sales that spiderman 3 was at the same point in the sales cycle, which is pretty amazing. It could do a $200 million in its first week easily. It wouldn't be that unusual either: Austin powers 2 made more in first weekend than the first one did for its entire theatrical run.

I think it would have been huge anyway, but Ledger's death, and the phenomenal word of mouth its getting probably ensure it'll be one of the biggest hits of the year.

I think that's a pretty big overstatement.

Good point about Austin Powers though. But as for the ticket presales, I remember hearing about Superman Returns having ticket presales that were "pretty much gauranteed" to make it take in as much as the Spiderman movies.

I think this movie is going to kick all kinds of ass and will make huge money, just not Pirates of the Caribean level.

Batman 1989 is still a great film overall. My only beefs with the film:

- The Joker being the killer of Batman's parents (WTF? WHY?!!)

- Billy Dee Williams as Harvey Dent

- Alexander Knox

And falling into a tub of chemicals? That's laughable by today's standards.

It's a comic book movie. What do you expect? Besides, I always did enjoy that telling of that origin because it happened to him against his will (in some versions), thus creating or more likely bringing out his insanity plus it would've worked perfectly for Heath Ledger's Joker because realistically the chemical burns would've scarred his face.

If Burton had been smarter, he'd have done with the Joker character what Nolan has done i.e take away the comic strip factor and just make him a straight up sociopath.

No thanks. I prefer campy Joker since that's the version I grew up with besides people would've given Nicholson flack for being like his previous film characters (ex. The Shining) had he been a more serious Joker.

(Vickie was supposed to die at the end of the film, but they changed their minds, which is pity beccause it would have been a better than the tacked on happy ending)

No, that would've been awful. I'm glad they changed it.

So who had an IMAX theater near them and couldn't get tickets either? This sucks man. I don't really want to watch it in a regular theater cause there's usually more kids and teenagers who won't stfu. From the times I've been to IMAX, it seems like the audience is more mature.

The last time I went to an IMAX movie with a large audience was in 2003 for the second Matrix movie. I almost fell asleep several times and recall nothing about the audience, but the flip side to that is we were all 5 years younger back then too. I've been to comped IMAX shows since then at the Tropicana in Atlantic City but those don't really draw large crowds (and obviously skews older).

Through some really strange coincidence, the midnight shift I would normally be working Thursday night / Friday morning was changed to me working at a different site Friday morning, which I then had to explain to the company I was leaving town that afternoon and assumed I would be getting off work at 8am Friday morning and thus only booked Saturday and Sunday off. Anyhow all of this is allowing me to go to a midnight showing with some pals, so hooray!