TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RonL21

Movies you like...

Cannibal: The Musical (AKA Alfred Packer: The Musical) - Mat Stone and Trey Parker's Troma produced 'Z-Movie' film. Lots of blood, guts, singing and snowmen. I adore this film like no other film, yet other people I know just think its shit.

Resident Evil - There's something about these films that screams out total shite, but I keep watching them.

Death to Smootchy

I'll add my name to that one, it's awesome! From the Stepdad song to Robin Williams shouting 'IT'S A COCK!' while they make rocket cookies. Even the Nazi bit in it cracks me up.

I totally just remembered "Stir of Echoes" with Kevin Bacon. I loved that movie and they hide the ending pretty well mixed in with Bacon's outstanding insanity performance. And for some reason, I still like the movie "Tango and Cash" and was pleasantly surprised to see a DVD double with that and "Cobra". I enjoy Cobra as well but dammit why did they have to destroy that awesome car so early in the damn film?

Give me "Ski Patrol" and "Summer School" as well. "Ski Patrol" is probably considered a really horrible movie but a villian Martin Mull and a guy named Suicide who talks to a hand puppet that punches him if he disobeys is incredible entertainment. I used to watch that movie every day on Cinemax in the early 90's when they played it like twice a day for a month. Overkill but I loved it.

The Batman movies.

Batman seems to be the movie I remember everyone loved in the 80s / early 90s and was always used as a baraometer to point out why the future installments weren't good, but I have a lot of friends that hate it for "poor writing and a bad characterization of Batman".

I think I like Batman Returns even more than Batman. The dark mood that a lot of people (critics, parents) didn't like is the reason I like it.

I loved Batman Forever when it was first released and still like it now. I think Kilmer is a good Bruce Wayne and while serious superhero movies are nice, I think this movie did a good job of walking the line between colorful comic book (I loved the neons and greens) and being a decent superhero film. Some sillyness but it seemed to help, not hinder, the movie. I also like Elliot Goldenthal's score (yeah, Elfman is king and all, but this was a nice change).

Batman and Robin is horrible yet I've seen it MULTIPLE times. To me, it's a movie like the second the Mortal Kombat film: stupid and full of needless special effects, yet somehow watchable, perhaps in a trainwreck sort of way. It helps that I'm a mark for stories that involve people upgrading their outfits (Batman Forever also does this, though - as Chris O'Donnel pointed out on the B&R DVD, there was no storyline reason to do so in this movie, they just did).

The Batman movies.

Batman seems to be the movie I remember everyone loved in the 80s / early 90s and was always used as a baraometer to point out why the future installments weren't good, but I have a lot of friends that hate it for "poor writing and a bad characterization of Batman".

I think I like Batman Returns even more than Batman. The dark mood that a lot of people (critics, parents) didn't like is the reason I like it.

I loved Batman Forever when it was first released and still like it now. I think Kilmer is a good Bruce Wayne and while serious superhero movies are nice, I think this movie did a good job of walking the line between colorful comic book (I loved the neons and greens) and being a decent superhero film. Some sillyness but it seemed to help, not hinder, the movie. I also like Elliot Goldenthal's score (yeah, Elfman is king and all, but this was a nice change).

Batman and Robin is horrible yet I've seen it MULTIPLE times. To me, it's a movie like the second the Mortal Kombat film: stupid and full of needless special effects, yet somehow watchable, perhaps in a trainwreck sort of way. It helps that I'm a mark for stories that involve people upgrading their outfits (Batman Forever also does this, though - as Chris O'Donnel pointed out on the B&R DVD, there was no storyline reason to do so in this movie, they just did).

at the beginning when they send for the Bat Signal and Keaton is sitting in his study and the reflectors cause the signal to appear there and he stands up and is looking out the window with the signal in the background along with Elfman's score at the moment is one of my fav movie moments ever...awesome intro

I totally just remembered "Stir of Echoes" with Kevin Bacon. I loved that movie and they hide the ending pretty well mixed in with Bacon's outstanding insanity performance. And for some reason, I still like the movie "Tango and Cash" and was pleasantly surprised to see a DVD double with that and "Cobra". I enjoy Cobra as well but dammit why did they have to destroy that awesome car so early in the damn film?

Give me "Ski Patrol" and "Summer School" as well. "Ski Patrol" is probably considered a really horrible movie but a villian Martin Mull and a guy named Suicide who talks to a hand puppet that punches him if he disobeys is incredible entertainment. I used to watch that movie every day on Cinemax in the early 90's when they played it like twice a day for a month. Overkill but I loved it.

I'll add some Kevin Bacon Classics...

HollowMan- I just thought it would be cool to do the shit he did in that movie....

Tremors- C'mon Kevin Bacon and Reba McIntyre fighting off underground worms...How can you top that? Everytime this comes on USA or Sci-Fi Im there...

If I see Batman & Robin I have to actually go out and strangle a cat to atone for my sins. It took Bane, one of the most sofisticated Villians in Batman lore and turned him into a juiced up idiot - that for me made this film unwatchable. I agree with you about the other Batman films though, as a Batman fan they are a joy to watch, though sometimes wish they had played Two Face up a bit better.

And yeah I love the Tremor films, all of them - even the shit ones.

Man I was so going to mention Batman and Robin but was beaten to it. Anyway, that is a movie that I hated at the time for the various reasons anyone can surmise, but strangely enough I can watch that damn thing almost any time nowdays. I think I am amused mostly because of Arnold in it. He was the right choice for Mr. Freeze, but the role was written so horribly that it's beyond comprehension (to be honest, even in the cartoons Freeze is a bit of a one dimensional heel, every show was him doing crimes for his comotose wife). Arnold had so many hysterically awful one liners about ice that I can't help but watch and revel in the crappiness. Who else could ever get away with saying "GO! Kill the heroes!" without a hint of irony?

One point of contention was the portrayal of Bane, and it's certainly true. That said, Bane is pretty much a juiced up bitch and in Knightfall once Azrael/Batman cut his venom tubes he was a total punk. Nobody wants to admit this but it's really The Joker and Scarecrow that carry the villain side in Knightfall. Bane and his gang are really not all that interesting, they merely set the story in motion and watch it unfold.

Batman Forever though? Ugh. I almost prefer B & R to it now, which is odd because I remember quite enjoying this one at the time. Time has certainly not been kind to it though, especially the horrendous villain performances from Carrey and Jones. The Riddler's origin was okay enough in the movie, but Two Face has such a great origin tale and yet none of it is ever delved into. Two Face is probably the worst villain in the entire series, which is sad since Tommy Lee Jones would have been an ideal choice if the role had been written seriously.

There are some positives in Forever I guess. I enjoyed (initially) the addition of Robin, and I've been a Kilmer fan for years. And what more needs to be said about Nicole Kidman in that movie? Top 5 in the world level hot.

Yeah I guess Bane was a bitch once the tubes were cut, but not to the extent that B&R made him out to be. He goes on a 'find himself' quest after that and he's still way more intelligent then he was made out to be in the films. But yeah, Two Face was pretty much just forgot about and is pretty much a throw in villian to play the role. Hopefully the new Batman film does him justice. Not wanting to turn this into a Batman thread though!

--

I'll throw Tron into the mix. I sometimes feel I'm the only person in the world that's seen this film when I make off the cuff references to it.

See about the Resident Evil movies... I liked the 1st one, saw it in the theater and really liked it at the time. The 2nd one is absolute crap on a stick though. They had a cool ass setup into the 2nd and totally whiffed.

Yeah 2nd one is pretty wank, but there's something about the 1st one that's just damn cool. It's one of those kill time movies I'll watch when I can't think of anything else to watch.

Batman Forever, next to the first and Begins is my favorite. Kilmer brought an almost suave and attractive yet moody quality to Bruce Wayne as opposed to the cerebral, cold potrayal by Keaton. Two-Face to me now is really undeveloped and honestly had they released the rough cut of the film with the escape from Arkham open, the surveying the damage and Bruce reconciling his identity scenes the film would have been that much better. The music both score and soundtrack were fantastic and I agree Nicole Kidman was all sorts of hot in this movie (especially being 13 when it was released). I still have my one sheet and Chase Meridian poster to this day.

The Saint, This movie was great granted Kilmer went to do this instead of fulfilling his Bat-Contract which gave us that attrocity Batman and Robin (which Clooney worked but the script and production design were god awful). While it didn't see much love from most, it had a good story. Kilmer did well with the different accents and disguises and the soundtrack owned, I still give it a spin every now and then

Lost in Space, sure it had Matt LeBlanc, but it wasn't a bad update with the exception of the metal buglike Dr. Smith. Also, it had Lacey Chabert who because this movie I developed a crush on (I was like 16 at the time)

Grosse Pointe Blank, Cusack as a hitman with problems, cool 80's soundtrack, and Jeremy Motherfuckin' Piven, nuff said

PCU, Piven is god the end

Spiceworld, fuck the haters it was so bad it was good, plus I dug the Spice Girls

Escape from LA, ok while most may think it was nowhere as good as New York, I thought it was good, had a great kind of almost Morricone score and a even better fuck you ending than NY

Free Enterprise, Swingers for geeks, it's one of those you end up catching on during the afternoons on The Movie Channel and end up loving. The guy who plays the main character now is a reporter on one of the TV stations in my hometown.

Go, another movie that didn't see the love but had a great story, cast (pre-mothership/2nd season Dawson's Katie Holmes, Timothy Olyphant, Taye Diggs, Breckin Meyer, Jay Mohr, Scott Wolf, William Finchter), and a great soundtrack

Strange Days, a movie that kinda was swept under the rug but was really neat with a solid cast and soundtrack

haha I remeber going to the pictures to see Rat Race, it was one of the first films I saw with my girlfriend. Man, that was YEARS AGO, I remember it being pretty funny. Rowan Atkinson stole the show as usual.

"Who would win in a fight, Lemmy or God?

Trick question! Lemmy IS God!"

Which side did you take in the big van halen/roth split?

Lost in Space, sure it had Matt LeBlanc, but it wasn't a bad update with the exception of the metal buglike Dr. Smith. Also, it had Lacey Chabert who because this movie I developed a crush on (I was like 16 at the time)

I loved the movie up until that retarded time travel stuff at the end. I also got a huge crush on Lacey Chabert as well.

Karate Kid II - Screw Daniel Larusso, as Ripper said, he's only good at getting his ass kicked. I also like Chozen and Sato, even though the latter always yells like he's about to shit a brick instead of talking. As much as I try to like KKIII, I can't.

Crocodile Dundee II - More of an action movie instead of a comedy like the original but I still like it.

Interview with the Vampire - I remember people knocking on this movie when I was younger but I found it to be great.

Falling Down - " I don't want lunch, I want breakfast."

Lock-up - Underrated Stallone flick.

Police Academy 5 - As lame as the PA sequels are, I don't know why the 5th is always the one who get knocked on, beside PA 7.

Rocky V - It's still my worst or second-to-worst movie in the Rocky series, depending on how I'm feeling on Rocky IV, but I don't think it's as awful as people think. It takes back the series to its roots (though it doesn't quite make it), it has a better story and better characters than part IV. However, it doesn't have the killer 80's soundtrack.

The River Wild - It's an action film...with Meryl Streep....and I marked out for it.

I'll also add any of the late-80's early-90's Columbo TV movies, those ruled.

Im sure ill think of 50 more before the nights over but to start(a couple of these are just i like them and my friends dont seem to so much)....

The Living Daylights

Mars Attacks

Drop Dead Fred

Little Big League

Butterfly Effect

Revenge Of The Nerds

Hitch

Cobra

Angles in the Outfield

haha I remeber going to the pictures to see Rat Race, it was one of the first films I saw with my girlfriend. Man, that was YEARS AGO, I remember it being pretty funny. Rowan Atkinson stole the show as usual.

Ya it's from 2001 and as much I loved Atkinson in it, it wasn't just him that made the movie. Cuba, Whoopi, John Cleese, Breckin Meyer, Amy Smart, Jon Lovitz, Kathy Najimy, Kathy Bates, Seth Green..what an amazing cast. At the time atleast (not sure if its still true), it was the only movie to ever star 3 previous Academy Award winners (Cuba, Whoopi, and Bates).

Im sure ill think of 50 more before the nights over but to start(a couple of these are just i like them and my friends dont seem to so much)....

The Living Daylights

Mars Attacks

Drop Dead Fred

Little Big League

Butterfly Effect

Revenge Of The Nerds

Hitch

Cobra

Angles in the Outfield

Kurt, Eric, who else was in that one? :P

I like that movie too; its probably in my top 5 sports movies of all time (along with Remember the Titans and The Sandlot).

Fled

Metro

Robin Hood: Men in Tights

Wait, people hate Robin Hood: Men in Tights? Geez...why? That's, like, one of my fave films from childhood.

Oh, and Josey and the Pussycats is a fucking tremendous movie.

Damn straight. I know they made the songs intentionally addicting and all, but "Backdoor Lover" is probably one of my favorite songs. For obvious reasons.

...It's just catchy bubblegum pop. Jeeze, get your minds outta the gutter :P

Shaun of the Dead - None of the people I know like this movie nearly as much as they should.

Dawn of the Dead (remake) - Same as above.

Fight Club - Most people hate this movie that I know.

Interview with the Vampire - I remember people knocking on this movie when I was younger but I found it to be great.

I love that movie too, I've seen it a dozen times. It's so gay, though.

Big Girls Don't Cry, They Get Even- This is an awesome runaway child movie...too bad only like 3 people have seen it...I love the whole disfunctional family comes together plot though

Man of the House- Chevy Chase playin second fiddle to Jonathan Taylor Thomas during JTT's peak...Awesome raindance sequence set to I've got the power...

End of Days- Underrated Schwarzenegger film that see's him battle his guilt and the devil...had some great one liners and cross promotion w/ the WWF

13 going on 30- Jennifer Garner owns in the goofy romantic comedy type deal that im surprised I enjoyed...another one no one saw..

Tommy Boy- The Only Farley/Spade film that worked..at least to me....Dan Akyroid owns in the last 10 minutes

I'd say The Brown Bunny is perfect for my entry into this thread.

You are right because fuck that movie.

Another great Kevin Bacon movie

The Woodsman (About a former pedophile released from prison trying to redeem himself. It has a few powerful scenes in it, Bacon is great in it, and Mos Def is really good too. Most of the people I know have either never heard of it or thought it made pedophiles out to be good people and hated it.)

Mean Creek (This underrated gem is about a group of young kids picked on by a bully who plan revenge on the bully. Very harsh, realistic, and depressing. The kid who plays Josh on Drake And Josh actually gives a really good performance here and everyone should see it to see that all child actors of today do not suck.)

Who doesn't like Summer School?

Mark Harmon + Kirstie Alley + Chainsaw (come on...the death spoof with the sub was awesome!) + the dude who went to the bathroom for the entire summer ("My zipper got stuck")...

It even had a subplot for the dog!

It's funny people mention Airheads. I think that movie didn't do especially well since it was a very pro metal or 80s rock type movie (the various Van Halen, Lemmy stuff that was mentioned for instance) but was made in 1994 when rock music was more about grunge and punk. It was made roughly 5 years too late. I mean Brendan Fraser was trying to get his cheesy metal band signed circa 1994?? Good luck pal. With Metallica well between albums at that point the only mainstream metal band I can recall was Pantera. Maybe Megadeth too I guess.

Now, End of Days. I had one major problem with this movie. Why exactly did Satan adhere to this prophecy about getting a bride at a certain time, place, etc.? The dude is SATAN for crying out loud. Wouldn't Satan just say "Fuck this, I'll get a bride whenever I want one."