TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hunter's Torn Quad

WWE General Discussion for June 2007

94ec6cab15.jpg

This was debated in the other CWDWAT thread, but according to the news mill, this was the official Vengeance 2007 Poster, but it'll be changed since Undertaker is injured unless they photoshop Edge in his place.

I've seen the poster itself. It is absolutely legit.

So Stephanie will be Vince and Shane will be Linda??

its really a damn shame that after having to put up with the ego maniac and sometimes completely clueless vince mcmahon, the company will be ran by someone just as bad, if not worse in stephanie. i know one thing, the wwe must have more ass kissers/yes men than any company in history considering how things are run in that company.

It is 100 times better than the way WCW was ran.

So Stephanie will be Vince and Shane will be Linda??

its really a damn shame that after having to put up with the ego maniac and sometimes completely clueless vince mcmahon, the company will be ran by someone just as bad, if not worse in stephanie. i know one thing, the wwe must have more ass kissers/yes men than any company in history considering how things are run in that company.

It is 100 times better than the way WCW was ran.

well it wouldnt take much to be run better than wcw was so im not sure what your point is.

94ec6cab15.jpg

This was debated in the other CWDWAT thread, but according to the news mill, this was the official Vengeance 2007 Poster, but it'll be changed since Undertaker is injured unless they photoshop Edge in his place.

It became a magazine cover, Douchebag.

Giving Kenny the nickname Thunder and having the team be called "Nitro and Thunder" is perhaps the greatest idea I've read in weeks.

I noticed that yesterday while shopping. My fiancee asked about it, since we watch wrestling together.

And I agree, Nitro and Thunder would be very, very cool.

If Umaga wearing Edge's kickpads wasn't bad enough:

DSCF2112b.jpg

Oh wow. That's superb.

from Mike Johnson's PW Audio

In the last couple of weeks WWE has been trying something new with the referees in their house show undercard matches. In an attempt to make matches seem less scripted, WWE will no longer be informing referees of the finish of matches before hand. The matches are now to be treated like legitimate fights more than scripted performances. Now if a wrestler doesn't get his shoulder up quick enough in a near fall situation and the ref counts three, that's the finish and the wrestler who failed to do his part will take the blame for it. It is going to force heels to work harder to cheat behind the referee's back so you won't see any more awkward "referee sees the guy still cheating and turns back around" spots.

This isn't happening on TV or PPVs yet, but this is the trial period for now during house shows to see how it goes.

This sounds interesting. Even if it's a disaster, it'll be pretty funny.

I welcome it whole-heartedly.

While they are at it, they should gradually move away from the "only a finisher or a surprise roll-up can be the finish."

That, and have more people develop multiple finishers.

Not to speak for Mole, but I think the point is that WWE is run quite well.

From a business side I agree with that..........

I however don't think Shane or Steph exactly have the aptitude for the wrestling business on the actual wrestling side. It's obvious Steph is being groomed to be Vince's successor I however find her incompetent when it comes to alot of things....

Even if Vince does too I doubt he's going to be like "shit my kids are morons I can't give the company to them"

When the Invasion going on and they were talking about a possible WCW brand, wasn't there something about Shane wanting the title on Test? That's pretty bad if true. If not Steph I'm not sure I would trust Shane with the product either.

That, and have more people develop multiple finishers.

I agree, remember when Taker was Biker-Taker (I still fucking hate that gimmick), and he only used to bust out the tombstone a couple of times a year? It made it seem really big and impressive. They don't even have to think up whole new spots, just variations (e.g. Cena could completely rip off Kobashi and make a Super F-U wrist clutch Death Valley Driver)

When the Invasion going on and they were talking about a possible WCW brand, wasn't there something about Shane wanting the title on Test? That's pretty bad if true. If not Steph I'm not sure I would trust Shane with the product either.

He was buddies with Test so he wanted to try to get him over........

He was buddies with Test so he wanted to try to get him over........

He also wanted to push Blackman. It really doesn't matter if Stephanie and Shane do things the way we would want them to. We're consumers. As long as they manage the business well, they'll be doing their job.

I'm sorta hit and miss on the Referee thing. Personnally I think a Ref should at least just know the finish of the match and then just go with the flow of the match, but I can understand where the WWE is coming from.

1. It will make all the workers (wrestlers and Refs) work extra hard to make the match work.

2. It will make the Refs look more legit as people who are suppose to enforce the rules, though it makes me wonder if a Ref will be informed if he will take a bump or not.

as far as a wrestler not kicking out, or not letting go of a choke hold or something before the 5 count happens, the one golden rule I was told before I became a Ref was that if a wrestler didn't kick out or break the 5 count on his own, it's the wrestler's fault not the Ref's.

That's the beauty of the WWE business model. The quality of the product has very little effect on the bottom line. As long as Stephanie does nothing that is off-the-charts stupid, marketing and promotion will ensure a healthy bottom line year after year, and Stephanie's position is safe, even if the product itself is terrible.

I don't think keeping the referees in the dark is a smart decision. First of all, you're going to see a lot more one counts as wrestlers don't want to risk the 2 and 9/10th count for dramatic effect when a slightly quicker count cadence by the referee and they'd lose the match. The referee should be completely in on the script and the match planning, and should carry out his role accordingly - if he is looking right at the cheating, then it is his fault just as much as it is the wrestlers if it was a pre-planned spot.

Why stop with the referees, why not have the announcers call the match cold?

This is probably all a result of the Vince/Lashley screw up in the final build up for WM when the referee counted the pin after one Samoan Drop when Lashkey was supposed to kick up. Either Vince was laying on Lashley too snug or Lashly didn't hear the count and the referee counted three.

I understand that referee's look stupid when the wrestler doesn't kick out, but this alternative isn't going to work either. I mean if they're working it like a shoot, wouldn't they be watching the heels a lot closer? Wouldn't they react to fan reaction when it's obvious something is going on behind their backs?

Reguarding Stephanie running the WWE, I honestly believe she'll ruin the company if not put the company out of business.

I don't buy that Stephanie will be the death of WWE. A lot of the negative stuff on the dirt sheets comes from people opposed to her point of view. She certainly doesn't call Meltz to offer her side of things, so everything you read comes from one side of the argument.

I don't think keeping the referees in the dark is a smart decision. First of all, you're going to see a lot more one counts as wrestlers don't want to risk the 2 and 9/10th count for dramatic effect when a slightly quicker count cadence by the referee and they'd lose the match. The referee should be completely in on the script and the match planning, and should carry out his role accordingly - if he is looking right at the cheating, then it is his fault just as much as it is the wrestlers if it was a pre-planned spot.

Why stop with the referees, why not have the announcers call the match cold?

This is probably all a result of the Vince/Lashley screw up in the final build up for WM when the referee counted the pin after one Samoan Drop when Lashkey was supposed to kick up. Either Vince was laying on Lashley too snug or Lashly didn't hear the count and the referee counted three.

I understand that referee's look stupid when the wrestler doesn't kick out, but this alternative isn't going to work either. I mean if they're working it like a shoot, wouldn't they be watching the heels a lot closer? Wouldn't they react to fan reaction when it's obvious something is going on behind their backs?

No because with that aspect a Ref (unless their green) should know what excatly is going on since they've been around long enough to know how to Ref a match properly. I think that part of it will still be a work and the Ref's will just be kept in the dark about the finish of the match.

A lot of the negative stuff on the dirt sheets comes from people opposed to her point of view. She certainly doesn't call Meltz to offer her side of things, so everything you read comes from one side of the argument.

While you make a point that we only hear things against Stephanie, you have to wonder why we hear very little in support of Stephanie. Even when Triple H was at his worse years ago, you'd still hear plenty of people talking in his defense. But with Stephanie, almost nobody says anything positive about her.

Scroby, how much do you know going into your matches? Did you know going in that you were taking that thumbtack bump?

with that match, I knew I was going to take a bump. Myself and Pogo spoke about the bump before hand but we just planned that I would take a running shoulder powerslam, and that was it (sorry Pogo, don't mean to break kayfabe if you somehow find out about this.).

I had no clue there was going to be thumbtacks involved in the match. Myself, Pogo, and the Bodysnatchers were all outside the ring, I noticed that Pogo's tag partner Rage was no where around, I looked back into the ring to see if he was there...and he was..pouring thumbtacks into the ring and the only thing I could really say about it was "oh great, we're using thumbtacks now."

After the match was over, I was in the ring standing by the Bodysnatchers who just won the match, they exited the ring and Pogo got back in the ring and kicked my in my stomach and hoisted me up. I took the Running shoulder powerslam into the tacks....then before I knew what was going on Rage picked me up and gave me a sitting powerbomb onto the tacks.

The only thing we discussed was the running shoulder powerslam that Pogo was going to give me. We didn't talk about the thumbtacks or the sit out Powerbomb that Rage gave me. So going into the match the two things I knew was the finish and the powerslam from Pogo, and that was it. Everything else, I just go with the flow that the match is having.

I think everyone but the wrestlers should go into the match cold refs, announcers, everybody. The age of everything being scripted makes wrestling look really, really bad. Either learn how to improvise or get the fuck out.

I think everyone but the wrestlers should go into the match cold refs, announcers, everybody. The age of everything being scripted makes wrestling look really, really bad. Either learn how to improvise or get the fuck out.

If the announcers don't know what's going to happen, they can't take the audience in the direction they're supposed to be going. It's hard to tell the story the company wants if you're not told what it is.

A lot of the negative stuff on the dirt sheets comes from people opposed to her point of view. She certainly doesn't call Meltz to offer her side of things, so everything you read comes from one side of the argument.

While you make a point that we only hear things against Stephanie, you have to wonder why we hear very little in support of Stephanie. Even when Triple H was at his worse years ago, you'd still hear plenty of people talking in his defense. But with Stephanie, almost nobody says anything positive about her.

Mick Foley is a pretty big fan of Steph.

If the announcers don't know what's going to happen, they can't take the audience in the direction they're supposed to be going. It's hard to tell the story the company wants if you're not told what it is.

I remember hearing or reading somewhere that when Bischoff was in charge of WCW he would not let the announcers know who was winning the matches. This lead to the announcers putting over talent and finding out that it was somewhat pointless because in the end the wrong guy won the match.

Mick Foley is a pretty big fan of Steph.

That's because she has big boobs.

I read on the Death Valley Driver board that according to the newest Observer, Vince wanted a scene in See No Evil in which Kane would be revealed to have a 36-inch dick and jerk off onscreen.

I read on the Death Valley Driver board that according to the newest Observer, Vince wanted a scene in See No Evil in which Kane would be revealed to have a 36-inch dick and jerk off onscreen.

OMG!!!!!!! It has to be true!!!! Special edition of See No Evil anyone???

:throwup:

While they may not have been using the new 'cold refs' on TV and at PPVs, I've enjoyed the new and improved vocal refs over recent weeks on TV. They seem alot more in your face, trying to enforce the rules, making sure shoulders are down and generally acting like refs.

Few more Earl Hebnar types of kicking the heels off of ropes to gain leverage and things like that will make my day.

from Mike Johnson's PW Audio

In the last couple of weeks WWE has been trying something new with the referees in their house show undercard matches. In an attempt to make matches seem less scripted, WWE will no longer be informing referees of the finish of matches before hand. The matches are now to be treated like legitimate fights more than scripted performances. Now if a wrestler doesn't get his shoulder up quick enough in a near fall situation and the ref counts three, that's the finish and the wrestler who failed to do his part will take the blame for it. It is going to force heels to work harder to cheat behind the referee's back so you won't see any more awkward "referee sees the guy still cheating and turns back around" spots.

This isn't happening on TV or PPVs yet, but this is the trial period for now during house shows to see how it goes.

This sounds interesting. Even if it's a disaster, it'll be pretty funny.

Awesome. During the Monday night wars, I had a friend that thought wrestling was fake, but the refs weren't in on it. This makes him look like less of an idiot. Good for him.

I remember hearing or reading somewhere that when Bischoff was in charge of WCW he would not let the announcers know who was winning the matches. This lead to the announcers putting over talent and finding out that it was somewhat pointless because in the end the wrong guy won the match.

I think one of JR's blog entries noted that sometimes him and Lawler don't know exactly what's going to happen, but are made aware of key story elements that they need to get across in their broadcast.