TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Epic Reine

Driving

After years and years of putting it off, I'm finally in the process of getting my driver's license this summer. Took my first lesson on Monday and am taking several more lessons to hang the feel for it.

So how was your first time driving? nerve racking? piece of cake?

How was your road test? What advice to you give for purchasing your first vehicle?

Just pay attention, don't freak out and you are fine. I remember laughing alot because it was so easy to do.

All I ever did wrong was back into someone and that was because my steering fluid was so low the car wouldn't turn at all. Once I got fluid in the vehicle, I have never had another problem in my life.

You know something funny. I have never had to take a driving test. I got a permit when I was like 17, had that for a while, then moved to Georgia, renewed my alabama permit again a few years back, then when I finally got a car I got it transfered to a Georgia license somehow. And I just got it renewed for another 10 years. I always figured someone would catch that, but yep. Apparently a Alabama permit= Georgia license...well...at least that day I went to the DMV.

I got a school permit at 14...the test consisted of driving around the parking lot and across the street in a nearby neighborhood. No interstate driving, no long distance stuff. Nothing fancy, no roadside emergency tests or anything. If I was 16 getting my license, I would have had to do all that.

At 16, walked in to get my real license, simply had to redo the written test and off I went with my new license.

Maybe its some unwritten law black people don't have to take the drivers test. Take that yakoos!!

I just got my license last month.

It took me a very long time to learn how to drive and to pass the road test, so don't worry if you're not getting the hang of it at first

Maybe its some unwritten law black people don't have to take the drivers test. Take that yakoos!!

Why should they? It's not they have insurance for the stolen vehicles they drive.

Oh, yeah. Tests. I flopped the written test several times. (Took me four tries. My first was on my 16th birthday and didn't study at all. The second I failed on my last question. The third had questions that were crazy -- You're driving 35 mph and a chicken jumps out in front of you; how many pebbles did it eat?) The driving part wasn't a problem. I thought I failed when the cop told me to make some turn I never heard of and started to panic. He told me what to do and I said, "oh, you mean a three-point-turn?" and did it. He passed me.

My road test was a piece of cake, but only because my dad (who was also my driving instructor) took me out for my warm-up beforehand, and told me, "This is MY test. If you pass this one, THEN you can go take the real test." Took all the pressure off the real test.

I got my license the day before my 18th birthday, but then didn't drive again for about 7 years, when I got my first car. I had a bit of a phobia, because I was a passenger in a rear-end collision and always got scared driving in close quarters for a long time afterward.

Guest Vitamin X

Since this topic is rather broadly labelled, moving on to other aspects of driving..

which state/city/region has the worst drivers? Everyone seems to complain about their drivers being the absolute worst, so bear in mind I've driven through all of the south and west coast. Of my findings, Texas/Oklahoma as a region and Miami, FL as a city are neck and neck for having the worst drivers.

West Coast drivers are not as bad as the residents make them out to be. I think people just like to complain/whine a lot here.

About 85% of Americans that cross the border. Three reasons why I think they are horrible.

1.) They forget that they are driving in Kilometers. These people are usually pulled over for speeding.

2.) Braking. Never happens.

3.) Signaling or driving in the wrong lanes. Very unaware of where they are going, yet it is fairly easily marked where to turn and where to go.

My parents went to Boston for a holiday last month, and my dad, who's been to many places around the world, said that Boston drivers were the worst he's ever seen.

Myself, I have to go with Montreal. Those guys are insane.

No where has bad drivers. Its when you mix them all up and the differnent driving styles clash, it creates havoc. Take Atlanta. 60% of the city are transplants from other citys. So you take Atlanta driver with New Jersey driver and Chicago driver and those three styels create a deadly mix.

Myself, I have to go with Montreal. Those guys are insane.

It's a lot of Quebec that's bad, at least on the highways.

No shit. Funny story: I was driving to Montreal on Autoroute 20, in the centre lane, when I moved into the fast lane to pass a line of cars. I'm about to come up to pass a truck when he cuts me off to pass the car in front of him. A little later, I come out to pass another line of cars, when the truck tries the same move to cut me off. I, however, hit the gas and lean on the horn, forcing him back into his own lane. We both pass the cars and settle back into the middle lane, and this guy is just going ballistic, screaming at me, giving me the finger, etc. I just wave.

Later on down the road, as we're coming into Montreal, I'm in the right-hand lane because my exit is coming up, and the truck finally catches up to me, blocks me into my lane and starts screaming at me. The funny thing, though, was that he was driving a business truck, that had the name and number of his business on it. So, I pull out my cell phone, making sure he knows I'm in the middle of calling the number that's plastered on his truck, and he gets a pissed-off look on his face and speeds away.

Other funny story: I was driving to an Expos game on Aut. 40, right near the centre of town where it meets Aut. 15, in heavy traffic. They're doing construction, and there's a lane that's supposed to merge from the other highway to ours, that's unused because there's no one on that section of highway. Well, of course, someone pulls out from behind me into the unused lane and tries to pass a bunch of cars and force its way back in. Unfortunately for him, the lane ended right where my car was, and I glued myself to the bumper of the car in front of me so there was no space to squeeze in without a collision. That driver was not particularly happy, either.

Guest Vitamin X

I'll have to say New England drivers are pretty reckless in general, this is true. I think it even extends down to the mid-Atlantic, as D.C. is pretty terrible in and of itself as well.

Even then, they don't have a thing on Miami drivers. Maybe it's because there are a lot of NY transplants down there, though..

Guest Tzar Lysergic

You can turn left on a red if it's a one way onto another one-way.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

The worst traffic (that was actually moving) I've ever been in was probably Jacksonville to Ft. Myers, past Orlando.

Worst traffic jam: Denver.