TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Downhome

OAO ECW on Sci Fi thread - 06/26/07

This show was good enough for what they were trying to accomplish and it did at least help me take my mind off You Know Who for a while.

That said I'm not sure what the point is with jobbing Nitro to Cena in his first match as ECW Champ. Do they want to make sure he has zero heat or credibility with the belt?

He looked very strong against Cena and Cena put that over after the match with the "God damn, he almost got me" sell. A DQ would have been cheap. The fans probably needed a good moment and Cena, the top face having a long good wrestling match and winning with a hot crowd helped. Nitro didn't come off bad here at all. He looks better in losing to Cena then he would have in a victory over a Tommy Dreamer or Balls.

Anyone know why the even gave the belt to Nitro instead of CM Punk? I know we have had a lot to digest over the past couple of days, but once Benoit had to leave the PPV, why did Vince not give CM Punk the belt? Is CM Punk gonna be another RVD-type figure on the roster, where no matter how much the fans want to see him get to the next level, he will always be the guy that is used to put others over rather then getting the big wins himself(granted, CM Punk is not even a fraction as over as RVD was at his peak, but still, CM Punk is carving himself out a ME spot on the ECW show, and then comes along Nitro and just wins the belt!?!)???

Anyone know why the even gave the belt to Nitro instead of CM Punk? I know we have had a lot to digest over the past couple of days, but once Benoit had to leave the PPV, why did Vince not give CM Punk the belt? Is CM Punk gonna be another RVD-type figure on the roster, where no matter how much the fans want to see him get to the next level, he will always be the guy that is used to put others over rather then getting the big wins himself(granted, CM Punk is not even a fraction as over as RVD was at his peak, but still, CM Punk is carving himself out a ME spot on the ECW show, and then comes along Nitro and just wins the belt!?!)???

I think they want Punk to do a chase for the title. Having him beat Nitro with no heat wouldn't mean a damn thing. Vince likes Punk. I think they chose Nitro because they probably didn't have major plans for him and figured he could be sold as a fluke with Benoit coming back from the family sickness and taking the title. Obviously, that changes. Now, he'll be pushed seriously and tonight, he came off as a champion and not a title-holder.

The booking of the title vs title match was flawless. Cena could nt job here. He came into the match basically laughing at the guy; he left with respect and a look of concern towards a future meeting with the much improved Nitro. Look at ANY of thier previous matches, and then how Nitro was booked tonight for the difference. Pretty solid match, Nitro got the rub there, no doubt.

Guest shoryuken007

I'd like to see Nitro change his look around a bit now that he's split with Melina. Maybe less furry.

Guest shoryuken007

Indeed, but they shouldn't go too extreme -- still keep it modern, just a little more serious. His promo, short as it was, wasn't bad by any means.

I thought I heard a report that said they were going to give the belt to Benoit on ECW (Clearly this was between Vengence and knowing what happened).

I thought I heard a report that said they were going to give the belt to Benoit on ECW (Clearly this was between Vengence and knowing what happened).

One of the PWInsider.com audio recordings mentioned that Benoit was originally booked to win the belt.

So Benoit is now to WWE what Voldermort is to Harry Potter? He Who Shall Not Be Named?

Still, nice episode of ECW, the Punk/Burke match was very good, and in all honesty, I'm glad Nitro was Cena's oppenant, as when I heard "champion vs champion match" my first reaction was "fuck, not Cena/Edge again!". Guess i forgot about the ECW title. Which by the way does look very indy-rific.

And it was good to see Hot Rod, even if Stiker only did his impression for like a second. It would have been hillarious if he'd have spoken like Piper the whole way through the segment.

Nitro "got the rub" by getting pinned cleanly? In his first ever title defense? After putting on a lackluster performance that made me wonder if he was legit sick or injured? And let's not forget Cena doing a complete no-sell Hulk Up spot too. They shouldn't have booked the brand new ECW champion against the no-lose-cruise Cena in the first place.

Burke should have won personally. Have Burke win, beat Nitro at the GAB and in a rematch at Summerslam, then have Punk win the belt at Unforgiven.

Why? Because the WWE currently does not have an epic feud. By that I mean 2 guys who always seem to meet at least once a year and have excellent matches, trading wins back and forth. Think Angle and Benoit, Kawada and Misawa etc. Punk and Burke are the 2 most ideal candidates for such a feud, and if the WWE built it up right, they could always run a Punk-Burke match at any given PPV for a sure-fire draw when Creative is running low on ideas.

Think Angle and Benoit, Kawada and Misawa

The current crop of WWE TV writers weren't around for the first example, and have never remotely heard of the second.

Nitro "got the rub" by getting pinned cleanly? In his first ever title defense? After putting on a lackluster performance that made me wonder if he was legit sick or injured? And let's not forget Cena doing a complete no-sell Hulk Up spot too. They shouldn't have booked the brand new ECW champion against the no-lose-cruise Cena in the first place.

I do agree with you, but due to all the circumstances going on I'm sure this match will never be mentioned again.

Yes, he absolutely got the rub. He lasted 17 minutes with Cena, nearly got him a few times and was made to look like a credible champion. The announcers spent the post-match putting him over and even Cena put him over afterwards with his facial expressions and demeanor.

They did a great job putting him over.

Nitro might be the first heel in a very long time to actually not to be made to look like a punk by Cena. I cannot see how after that match you can take the belt off Nitro for a long while. Punk should be chasing him for a few months after that, let Nitro build and build as a mainstay ECW heel.

Punk and Burke put on another great match. When I saw that they'd be wrestling again, I changed the channel (I figured it wouldn't be better than their first match). I caught the last 5 min or so and was very impressed. How long did they go?

"Nitro "got the rub" by getting pinned cleanly?"

It took John Cena longer to beat Johnny Nitro than it did for him to beat The unbeatable Great Khali.

Before the match, when Nitro was talking trash, Cena gave him a look of "Puh-lease, clown." At the end of the match, Cena was all "Damn, that was difficult."

We know Nitro can beat uber jobbers like Balls and Nunzio. What we didn't know was that he could go 20 with Cena. Last time they fought, Nitro lasted like 5-7 minutes. That's character growth.

Guest shoryuken007

To add to what others have said.....well I guess I have nothing to "add" as such. But yeah, Cena made Nitro look good. Nitro held his end of it, too. Definitely a "rub" situation.

So looking at the ECW roster who are Nitro's credible challengers?

Obviously we have Punk.

Burke and Cor Von don't work because they are both heels. Balls? Nah. Dreamer? Maybe. Mike Knox, Viscera, Setvie Richards, Nunzio? Damn, ECW needs someone credible besides Punk to challenge for that strap. Sandman would've been nice only because he could've caned the holy hell out of Nitro.

Guest Hasbeen2

He certainly got the rub, anyone who think the talent needs to win the match to do so doesn't understand what it means. Good show, just watched a tape of it.

Given the state of the ECW roster, I wouldn't be surprised if a top, or at least decent mid card, face's contract with his band suddenly "expires" and he goes to ECW

Damn, ECW needs someone credible besides Punk to challenge for that strap. Sandman would've been nice only because he could've caned the holy hell out of Nitro.

Agreed...and this is a bit far-fetched but they are going to have to think outside of the box at the moment.

Somebody who would be a credible champion, is respected, would want to do the best for the business, competed in the original/real ECW and arguably has one of the cleanest personal lives going - which to be fair is what is needed at the moment.

Foley.

He certainly got the rub, anyone who think the talent needs to win the match to do so doesn't understand what it means. Good show, just watched a tape of it.

So now some complete stranger who just joined this board is explaining to me exactly what my understanding of wrestling is. Groovy.

Sting going 45 minute broadway with Flair, THAT'S "the rub". Nitro getting beaten and pinned just like everyone else? How does that make him look tougher?

Yes, he lasted longer than Khali. That's because the WWE refuses to let a Khali match go more than a few minutes, with good reason.

They really don't have SHIT for babyface challengers. Punk is the only one. Dreamer and Mahoney are just jobbers now, and everyone else on the show is a damn heel. They're gonna have to either turn someone (but who?) or import someone from another brand.

Given the state of the ECW roster, I wouldn't be surprised if a top, or at least decent mid card, face's contract with his band suddenly "expires" and he goes to ECW

Chris apparently wasn't too thrilled with the company after the Vince angle and I doubt he's really interested in returning to the road after the Benoit stuff. We probably won't see Chris back for quite a bit of time right now.

They might have to turn Cor Von or Burke into a face and see what happens. Either that or send Mr Kennedy to ECW for a little while.

Nitro looked like a million bucks by going long and hanging with Cena. There's more to putting someone over/giving them the rub than simply jobbing and this does far more for Nitro than getting a cheap win by cheating.

So now some complete stranger who just joined this board is explaining to me exactly what my understanding of wrestling is. Groovy.

Sting going 45 minute broadway with Flair, THAT'S "the rub". Nitro getting beaten and pinned just like everyone else? How does that make him look tougher?

Yes, he lasted longer than Khali. That's because the WWE refuses to let a Khali match go more than a few minutes, with good reason.

They really don't have SHIT for babyface challengers. Punk is the only one. Dreamer and Mahoney are just jobbers now, and everyone else on the show is a damn heel. They're gonna have to either turn someone (but who?) or import someone from another brand.

I see what you are saying here, but look at Nitro vs Cena at the beginning of the year. Is it at all feasible for him to beat or go 45 minutes with Cena at this point? This was the logical next step in his growth and status. Your grievance only makes since if you are upset that he was given the title at this juncture in his career.