TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
NoCalMike

For those that held up on Kill Bill....

Nice. About damn time. NC-17 is nice and all. I gotta wonder how much that went to the cutting room floor will be added back in. I'm guess the "Showdown at the House of Blue Leaves" might not go to B/W. Anything else?

Old news..I think I should have started a new thread a couple weeks ago instead of putting it in the Grindhouse thread, but yeah I cant wait.

The silly thing is Disney owns the rights to the seperate movies which means Blu Ray release but Weinsteins own this which means it'll be on HD-DVD.

I was a fan of the first part, but not so much of the second. I'm willing to watch them both together in 1 cut as they were meant to be seen.

NC-17 is nice and all. I gotta wonder how much that went to the cutting room floor will be added back in. I'm guess the "Showdown at the House of Blue Leaves" might not go to B/W. Anything else?

I haven't heard about anything else. And truthfully, by the MPAA's rules, all they'd have to do for an NC17 is just restore the color to that one bit. There wouldn't have to be one more second of actual violence in the picture. Yes, it's a very stupid rule.

NC-17 is nice and all. I gotta wonder how much that went to the cutting room floor will be added back in. I'm guess the "Showdown at the House of Blue Leaves" might not go to B/W. Anything else?

I haven't heard about anything else. And truthfully, by the MPAA's rules, all they'd have to do for an NC17 is just restore the color to that one bit. There wouldn't have to be one more second of actual violence in the picture. Yes, it's a very stupid rule.

What was the rule anyway? I assume there was too much blood in that scene, but how much is considered too much?

Awesome! I'm psyched for this. Count me in the group that wasn't a huge fan of the second movie - but loved the first. I'm defintiely interested in seeing it how it was meant to be cut, or uncut for that matter. ;)

I love the second much more than the first. Gordon Liu was like the single greatest thing going, and I loved how they tied Pei Mei into so much of the story (five-point exploding, Elle Driver and the eye, the coffin scene). Madsen and Carradine were able to play much better sympathetic heels compared to Vivica A. Fox, so much so that I marked hard when Madsen busts Black Mamba with the shotgun. It was like everything was in the crapper for him, but he still got the better of her. And that made Hannah twice the villain, as she was this total sleazy slut who was just completely jealous of Thurman. And mothefuckin Esteban. And I like the fact that the violence is a bit more subdued in terms of blood.

YES! I've been holding out on buying the two separate films for so long and now my patience is paying off. And an early November release means it just make the DeepDiscount semi-annual sale. Hopefully this isn't just another false alarm.

Found this info on rottentomatoes forums:

From the mouth of QT:

"Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair is definitely getting a wide release," he said, "actually, that'll probably be the first movie that Miramax, under their new company, will be releasing theatrically. It's the Japanese version, that's why I call it that, you know, it should probably come out in the next few months. It's going to be NC-17 in America. We couldn't do that when Disney owned the place but now Disney's the f**k outta there we can do anything we want! It's gonna be off the hook!"

Then the rest of the posts are asking why he thinks an NC-17 rated movie would be getting a wide release in theaters

What was the rule anyway? I assume there was too much blood in that scene, but how much is considered too much?

It's not an actual "rule" per se, but for some reason the MPAA thinks violence in black-&-white is has less chance of corrupting minors than colorized violence. Scorsese once pulled the same trick; go look at the end shootout in Taxi Driver. Notice how the color is much less bright there than in the rest of the film? The MPAA threatening to slap him with an X is why.

The MPAA's rating process is infamously arbitrary and subjective, based on a thousand little unspoken rules that they refuse to share with the public (or the filmmakers). They're also biased towards some companies and against others, which is how stuff like Grindhouse got the exact same rating as any movie that uses the word "fuck", just once, in a sexual context. If your movie gets an NC-17, they won't tell you what you need to cut to make it an R, because "that'd be censorship". Instead, you have to make a completely blind guess about what offended them, re-edit, and send it back again and pray for the best.