TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Tzar Lysergic

NFL Discussion Forumtable: 2007

It's amazing how biased some here are for teams they like/against teams they hate.

With that being said, the Bills go undefeated blowing out the 49'ers in the Super Bowl by 79.

Ahh, the Chris Berman pick.

I don't know if the Redskins would have been having this much trouble if Portis could stay healthy for more than 20 snaps a season all of a sudden. I think Campbell will be much improved and I've got them returning to the playoffs. As for Gibbs, the guy doesn't even coach anyone. He lets his coordinators do everything and he just stands there wondering how his NASCAR team is doing. Regardless, I got them finishing two in the EAST ahead of the Eagles and Dallas. Romo has even less of a line than he did last year and he couldn't handle playoff team defenses last season. He's not going to have the "Well, at least he's better than Bledsoe" card in his safety deck this season.

I'll go with a dark horse on the hot seat: Andy Reid

Philly is still a "what have you done for me lately" town and he hasn't done much but piss off the fans. If things don't go well this season, I honestly wouldn't be stunned to see Reid and McNabb gone from Philly.

Sorta off-topic but not really; where do you guys go for your football fix, whether it's news, recap, op-eds, whatever? I generally go to ESPN but I admit the site has become kind of weak especially for non-insiders. I have heard that PFW is good, but I haven't gone much. The past few seasons I haven't followed football as much as I'd like (though I still kept track of everything going on, if only for fantasy purposes), and I'm hoping to change that up some this year, so I'm looking to find new sources of information.

Profootballtalk.com. Florio is a giant douchebag, has a lot of pet issues, and is pretty pathetic in how he panders to his favorites. Even with that, it's still probably the best rumor/news source.

How about the fact that they have no running game themselves? For their supposed improved defense to actually work they'd need a grind-it-out running game to complement things. That's by far their biggest question mark going into the season, and that's probably what they need the most. Their defense will tire, Brett won't have the luxury of forcing defenses to choose run or pass, and will force throws in like never before.

I'm a Favre fan, but I'm also amazed at the number of people picking them to win the division. Of course, in the NFL who knows, especially a season like this, but barring a breakthrough year for one of their RB, I don't see it happening.

Guest Vitamin X
Now that Briggs is playing, I'm having some doubts as to picking the Packers to win the NFC North.

I wouldn't even have placed them as an outright pick to win it in the first place, I think it's going to be a fairly close race. Something like one team gets 10-6 and the other 11-5, or tying record-wise.

How about the fact that they have no running game themselves? For their supposed improved defense to actually work they'd need a grind-it-out running game to complement things. That's by far their biggest question mark going into the season, and that's probably what they need the most. Their defense will tire, Brett won't have the luxury of forcing defenses to choose run or pass, and will force throws in like never before.

I'm a Favre fan, but I'm also amazed at the number of people picking them to win the division. Of course, in the NFL who knows, especially a season like this, but barring a breakthrough year for one of their RB, I don't see it happening.

Without a consistent running game last year, they were able to get a .500 record. They don't have a feature back, but with three different running backs breaking 100 yards last year, I think the system they're going for is much like Denver's, where they can switch and plug in any running back and have them be successful. That, of course, depends a lot on the offensive line, which will be the key for their offense. What it all comes down to though, is whether Favre can settle down when his running game is working or not; history has shown he doesn't and tries to force throws when that happens, but often times their offense can get by running a West Coast offense, especially with one of the better (and most underrated) West Coast style possession receivers in Donald Driver.

I'm more concerned about their production in the red zone. The question of if they can control the clock will be up to if Favre can settle down and keep the clock going with short passes. I think between Morency and Herron (two of the 100 yard rushers from last season) plus Brandon Jackson who is an extremely questionable pick but we'll have to see, they might be alright there. Again, it just all depends on their offensive line and if they build on last season's improvement.

Sorta off-topic but not really; where do you guys go for your football fix, whether it's news, recap, op-eds, whatever?

I use Yahoo! Sports NFL for news, and www.pro-football-reference.com for stats and records. nfldraftcountdown.com for watching college guys and during the draft.

Anyway, does anybody know who's playing behind Romo? It's probably Drew Henson, but I can still hope.

I believe Henson's with the Vikings now. I still wonder how his NFL career would've turned out if he didn't flock to the Yankees.

For football opinions, I also recommend Cold, Hard Football Facts, but Football Outsiders is definitely one of the best out there.

Guest Vitamin X

Training camp begins Saturday! (at least for the Packers it does, I'm sure everyone else is starting around this time as well, if not on Saturday).

YES!

Brad Johnson is second-string behind Romo.

God, I hope Romo doesn't get caught with cocaine in the next few weeks.

Guest Vitamin X

Hey now, Brad Johnson has a Super Bowl ring, which is more than anyone else on the Cowboys can say. Except for Gramatica, who was on the same team, and Glenn, but he doesn't really count.

Being a Skins fan, I am sure this will come off sounding biased, but I really feel that in a weak NFC East division, they can make some noise if Jason Campbell plays well. With Portis/Betts out of the backfield, the offense is still going to be anchored by the running game, however with Santana Moss healthy again he could explode and have another year like 2005. Chris Cooley is getting better every year, plus he is in a contract year which is even extra incentive to go that extra mile on the field. The defense should be better with Laron Landry and Fred Smoot added, along with London Fletcher at MLB.....It's not that I think the Redskins will be anything "special" in 2007, but I just don't think the NFC East will be that strong, and it will really be more of a tossup and possibly come down to the last few weeks of the season to determine who wins the division.

I would still consider the Eagles the favorite in the division, because they return the core players, and have been running the same offense FOREVER, which is a very underrated factor that people seem to overlook.

I see the Giants and Cowboys regressing.

Guest Vitamin X
Trent Dilfer has a Super Bowl ring too. What's your point, exactly?

Brad Johnson won't light the world on fire, but he's a serviceable backup in case Romo falls on his face, much like Dilfer was when Banks struggled.

Johnson's not a particularly bad quarterback. If you look at his stats, he's had a couple bad years here and there, but you can see it had a lot to do with the inconsistency of the players around him in those years.

AFC

1. New England

2. Baltimore

3. Indy

4. San Diego

5. Denver

6. Cincinnati

AFC is obviously stacked. The Patriots, with their talent and coaching, are just too tempting not to pick at the top. I love the Ravens this year and can easily see them getting to the Superbowl with the addition of Willis McGahee, but it all depends on Steve McNair. I like the Chargers to win their division just because they are so ridiculously talented, the Norv Turner effect won't really take hold for another year or two when he's had plenty of time to inject his suck into the team.

NFC

1. New Orleans

2. Dallas

3. Chicago

4. San Francisco

5. Seattle

6. Carolina

The Saints have an absolutely ridiculous offense. I expect Reggie Bush to become a better runner and with him, Deuce, Colston and Meachem they're going to be almost impossible to defend. Dallas' season really depends on Tony Romo, looking at them on paper they have as much talent as just about anyone. I'm really excited to see what Wade Phillips does with the defense, especially with DeMarcus Ware. NFC West is going to be a dogfight with the Rams-Niners-Seahawks all being playoff caliber teams that will battle for spots, but I had to leave the Rams off because of their defense.

First off, while the NFC East isn't as strong as it was two years ago, I still think calling it a "weak division" is ridiculous.

Secondly, I don't have a problem with Brad Johnson's ability. My fear is that Romo will go down, and we will have to endure a season quite like 2003 with Vinny Testeverde. I'd hate to see our powerful offense gutted by a quarterback who has to resort to quick, short throws to progress the ball.

Guest Vitamin X
Dallas' season really depends on Tony Romo, looking at them on paper they have as much talent as just about anyone.

Really, on paper? Which paper? Are you sure you weren't looking at it upside down?

In all seriousness, I think Philly has the stronger team in the NFC East, and there are other better wildcard contenders in the other divisions in the NFC. But yeah, I don't see the Giants or Redskins competing this coming year, maybe the Skins, but not the Giants.

I think I agree with your AFC rankings though, although I think I see the Ravens regressing and the Jags progressing, so I'd switch Cincy to the division title and the Jags in at the wildcard. It'll be a dogfight (and an ugly one at that, given the two teams' style of play) between the two.

Ah, the Browns, this could only happen to them.

Sewage floods Browns' locker room - Old pipes cause 160,000-gallon toilet tank to overflow.

Well, hopefully, this is the only time the - wait for it- shit hits the fan, so to speak, for the Browns. I'm hoping they can do playoffs this Season, but then I'm sure we say that everyone season.

Dallas' season really depends on Tony Romo, looking at them on paper they have as much talent as just about anyone.

Really, on paper? Which paper? Are you sure you weren't looking at it upside down?

In all seriousness, I think Philly has the stronger team in the NFC East, and there are other better wildcard contenders in the other divisions in the NFC. But yeah, I don't see the Giants or Redskins competing this coming year, maybe the Skins, but not the Giants.

I think I agree with your AFC rankings though, although I think I see the Ravens regressing and the Jags progressing, so I'd switch Cincy to the division title and the Jags in at the wildcard. It'll be a dogfight (and an ugly one at that, given the two teams' style of play) between the two.

I think the Cowboys have as much talent on both sides of the ball as any team in the NFC.

Guest Vitamin X
Certainly moreso than the Packers.

1. Not a relative point to what I said, and 2. For a team that CERTAINLY has more talent, they only did one game better last season.

Of course, to reiterate it again, none of this matters at all since we haven't even seen a single snap of preseason football yet, let alone a regular season game. But Dallas is far from a clear cut division winner, and all the other probable NFC Wildcards (Niners, Packers, Panthers, etc. included) seem to be at a similar level for now. Saying they look as good on paper as any team in the NFC is a bit of a reach, in my opinion, because they have a ton of weaknesses on the defensive side of the ball and on the offensive line. Oh, and an unproven coaching staff- Anyone here really think Wade Phillips and Jason Garrett will do much better than Bill Parcells?

Oh, and is Mike Zimmer still coaching the defense? That's always good for them if he is.

Wade Phillips won't be a better overall coach but he will be bringing the defensive schemes that the current Cowboys defensive personnel is more suited for. I see monster years for people like Ware and others, and there won't be any silly switching between OLB and DEs like Parcells liked to do.

Eagles have a better offense, Dallas' offensive line is a sieve, Leonard Davis was mediocre in Arizona, he won't do any better in Dallas.

Dallas' defense is better, Eagles front seven has some question marks (DEs staying healthy, Gocong, Trotter on his last legs)

Eagles have a huge advantage in coaching. I don't like the fact that Jones put together the staff before hiring Phillips, and Garrett is very inexperienced. What's going to happen when Owens has his usual tantrum about passes going to him?