TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

WWE 24/7 Discussion Thread - August 2007

Does anyone's cable company use a rental format with their On Demand programming? Mine (Comcast) started using one recently and it's a pain for longer programs. When I first got 24/7, I could start a program and come back to it days later and start where I'd left off. This rental thing only keeps it in place for 24 hours, after which it starts from the beginning when you go to watch it. This is tough for the PPVs, since I'm usually only able to watch one over the course of a couple days.

Another pain is that for some reason, I have to subscribe to the 24/7 package a couple of times a month. I'm never charged any more, but doing this resets the programming to the beginning, too.

As for program-related content, the PTW was one of the first things I've seen since ordering the package that made me wish I had a DVD recorder.

Thats normal for Comcast dude..(they only hold the program where you left off for 24 hours, so if you wanna get back to where you left off, you gotta forward wind it..LOL)

What I do is set my dvd-recorder to record what I want and then I watch it later..

yea me too

ss 94 won? damn it. I already have the hart match on dvd (the best of the steel cage matches dvd)and I am not really into seeing taker vs faker again. I could swear 91 would win the poll. thats stupid anyhow cuz now 97 will come on before 94 in the weeks to come.

Guest uruloke

Monday Night War , Prime Time Wrestling, and the Flair-Kerry Von Erich shorty finally showed up. Better late than never I guess.

I was sorta wanting SS 88 to win since 89 was on there and I wouldn't mind seeing where the PPV began. SS 91 is easily the best of those shows though and probably one of my favorite PPVs. If WWE wants to do some amusing sports entertainment type stuff again, they need to look at that Bossman/Mountie match and the subsequent post match antics.

I enjoyed Flair/Von Erich for storytelling purposes. It's a very emotional match and Von Erich staying on offense almost the entire time while Flair can't get himself DQed really created a sense of urgency for the then NWA champion. The whole idea that Kerry just wouldn't lose at the memorial show of his brother may sound cheap in theory, but I thought it played out well in the match. Kerry's athleticism has been largely forgotten as the years have gone on, but he looked great in that match.

Quick aside: I didn't see much of the "Hardcore" month, did they show the Terry Gordy/Killer Kahn Texas Death Match from WCCW?

I was bored during the Flair/Von Erich match. Someone tell me why I shouldn't have been.

One of those deals where the Von Erichs have been struggling to win a world title and Kerry finally wins it in front of I believe the biggest crowd WCCW ever drew in honor of his dead brother.

Wrestlefest is up. I've only seen it once, but it reminded me of a MSG-type card in that only a handful of the matches really made sense, while the majority were odd pairings.

Unfortunately, we get the trio of Graham/Mooney/Hayes. I did like Alfred's subtle jab at the ballooned physiques of the Killer Bees, though.

Guest flairfan

No updates for me this week. COMCAST sucks at loading the updates. Had to email WWE Tech Support again this week.. I am getting so fed up with not getting my updates. I am leaning real close to cancelling..and thats sad.

Guest heyguesswhatidid

Did WWE 24/7 put up the corrected NWA? Or did they just go ahead with the scheduled new one??

I just checked and it looks to me like they have the new NWA show from 11/16/85. Hope there wasn't anything interesting on that 11/9 episode.

Word Class from 1/1/83 is now up!

Guest flairfan
I just checked and it looks to me like they have the new NWA show from 11/16/85. Hope there wasn't anything interesting on that 11/9 episode.

who is your cable provider?

Is that the Flair/Von Erich cage match?

i think the Flair/Von Erich cage match is the next WCCW show the way Hayes and Kevin talked at the end

the current WCCW is the finals of the 6 man Tag which was Hayes/Gordy/David Von Erich vs Mike Sharpe and a couple other guys i wasnt familar with, that was where the seeds were planted when David gave up his title to give to Buddy Roberts and a 10,000 Battle Royal pole match as well

My cable company is Insight. They seem to do a good job of updating every Wed.

Anyway that is in fact a new NWA show, just watched it tonight. Also, the WCCW show will have Flair vs. Kerry next time. This one was great though. Hell it has Iron Mike Sharpe jobbing TWICE in one hour, first in the 6 man finals and then he is the 2nd place guy in that battle royale.

I always liked Sharpe as a worker. No matter what he could always make me buy into his chances of winning, even though I always knew he was a jobber that never won.

The six man on the NWA show this week is pretty awesome. Ron Garvin was really underrated as well. I'm digging most of his stuff I've seen on 24/7.

Guest flairfan
The six man on the NWA show this week is pretty awesome. Ron Garvin was really underrated as well. I'm digging most of his stuff I've seen on 24/7.

I would if Comcast would load it! No Updates for me, and I was really looking forward to WrestleFest and the new NWA show..

This really pisses me off, and I am real close to cancelling the service. You see, it doesnt just cost me the 8.99. The ONLY reason I have digtial cable is because of 24/7..so if I drop WWE, I will also drop my digitial package and receiver fee. So we are talking $30.00 per month here to have 24/7. I for one aint going to pay 30.00 if I get no updates.

Just finished watching the MNW......the ECW segments on Raw really were something revolutionary for the time. Funny that in every ECW match they would cut away to an interview for a match later on. Paul Heyman was on fire, making all sorts of crazy insider references that no one really got such as "Who (bWo) are they referring to ?", "We welcome homosexuals and bisexuals in ECW", "The tapes Bruce Pritchard leaves on your desk every week" and "Has this show sucked without ECW or what?" following a lame Shamrock-Lawler segment.

Speaking of Shamrock, I was surprised at him asking McMahon for a fight against Faarooq. At the time, when a wrestler was thanking/blaming McMahon for anything, I always asked myself why would they do that. After all, Vince McMahon was only a commentator at the time. Gorilla Monsoon had all the power !

i think the Flair/Von Erich cage match is the next WCCW show the way Hayes and Kevin talked at the end

the current WCCW is the finals of the 6 man Tag which was Hayes/Gordy/David Von Erich vs Mike Sharpe and a couple other guys i wasnt familar with, that was where the seeds were planted when David gave up his title to give to Buddy Roberts and a 10,000 Battle Royal pole match as well

Thanks man, I checked the WCCW show out last night, and I cant wait for the cage match.

Rude/Warrior form Summerslam 89 was a great match. I was really suprised. They both had their working shoes on. I liked the Hart Foundation/Brain Busters a little more, but both matches still hold up really well 18 years later.

Did anyone else watch the Junkyard Dog and Davey Boy Smith Vs. The Hart Foundation match in the Shorties Section? After the match JYD tells some kids to come into the ring and dance with him, and before you know it the ring is full and the Police storm the ring and JYD bolts. It is unreal.

Guest flairfan
I have Comcast, and WrestleFest '88 is on mine.

welp, I live in Tennessee, and Comcast sucks here

Guest bp2007

I used to have 24/7 Online but stopped using it when matches became repetitive.

I'm not a fan of any VOD service as Comcast near me sucks.

I went on 24/7 Online and saw videos like "JR's Pick, Hot-Beds, History of the Intercontinental Title" and they are drawing my attention. Has anybody else watched these programs and could tell me how they are? I know $4 doesn't seem like a lot but I give a lot of my money to WWE as it is that I don't know if I should give them anymore.

Guest krash9924

Just wanted to say that it was cool to see that Wrestlefest '88 was filmed the same place as Major League (maybe even around the same time) Too bad the WWE didn’t get Bob Uecker to announce the show as that may be the worst announce team I have ever heard.

Superstar Billy Graham sounds like he's stoned and drunk at the same time and can't even speak without slurring every other word. I've also NEVER liked Lord Alfred Hayes commentary as in my opinion he's very bland and dry.

It is interesting to me that people still think the Warrior was some talentless shithead who never had good matches. I mean I'll accept that he was blown up against Hogan and Hogan was basically carrying him, but how about the Rude match? Or the Macho matches? The guy wasn't being flat out carried all those times. I recall on the Warrior DVD it was DiBiase I think who said someone like Hercules was a much better worker than the Warrior. Did Herc ever have any good matches in his life? Cause I really haven't seen them.

Anyway, NWA. I did like that 6 man tag, especially the Garvin/Flair portions of that match. Garvin gets a lot of crap nowdays mainly because people thought he should never have beaten Flair for the title. But the guy's style was incredibly fierce and physical, he and Flair beat the piss out of each other. He was just better off as a contender who never quite won it, rather than a guy who had a lame duck title reign.

Billy Graham and Alfred Hayes were two commentators who regularly had trouble getting through their statements without bumbling a couple words along the way. The irritating part is these comments were never anything original or insightful, which made the clumsy journey to get through them all the more frustrating. Graham's promo abilities are overrated, though, so it's not too shocking he was a terrible commentator. His character influential is why anyone still talks about him now. His promos? Not so much.

It is interesting to me that people still think the Warrior was some talentless shithead who never had good matches. I mean I'll accept that he was blown up against Hogan and Hogan was basically carrying him, but how about the Rude match? Or the Macho matches? The guy wasn't being flat out carried all those times. I recall on the Warrior DVD it was DiBiase I think who said someone like Hercules was a much better worker than the Warrior. Did Herc ever have any good matches in his life? Cause I really haven't seen them.

I actually wouldn't say the worker is a bad worker. I wouldn't say he's a good one either but he is a lot better than that DVD and a lot of people gave him credit for. I think he was just incredibly unmotivated to put anything other than a formulaic match unless it was a big time show. So I'll say he was an incredibly unmotivated mediocre wrestler, who when motivated could be pretty good. I'll go ahead and say The Warrior isn't much worse of a worker than The Hulkster (yes, I know that's not saying much) and he's better than quite a few wrestlers of his era (Hercules included :D ) .

Hogan doesn't even slam Andre at WreslteFest, what a rip off! Interesting how Andre barely sold the devastation of the leg drop, though.

I had no idea the Powers of Pain ever had music.

I used to have 24/7 Online but stopped using it when matches became repetitive.

I'm not a fan of any VOD service as Comcast near me sucks.

I went on 24/7 Online and saw videos like "JR's Pick, Hot-Beds, History of the Intercontinental Title" and they are drawing my attention. Has anybody else watched these programs and could tell me how they are? I know $4 doesn't seem like a lot but I give a lot of my money to WWE as it is that I don't know if I should give them anymore.

The first part of History of the Intercontinental Title was awesome. Patterson defending against DeNucci (eh), the complete Patera title win over Patterson (awesome), and Morales defending against Slaughter (short but good). Part 2 on 8/15 is supposed to cover the Morales-Muraco feud.

JRs pick last month was HBK vs. Vince from Mania and thus far has been hit or miss.

Wrestling Hot Beds has great potential. North Carolina this month, so it's the Hardys' first title win from 1999, Flair-Rock from 2002, Helms-Matt Hardy from No Mercy 2006 (the best of this show), and Flair-Vader from Starrcade 93.

Hopefully the selection improves when this summer skin shit stops.