TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Karnage

That Was Stupid!

With the recent Samoa Joe/Karen Angle swerve that wasn't really a swerve happening, Samoa Joe was made to look like a fool.

What other times in wrestling where you'd think (Kayfabe wise) it was stupid of a wrestler to do something?

For me it had to be Macho Man at the Rumble where he tried to PIN Yokozuna.

Scott Steiner trying to pedigree HHH in the HWC match, only for HHH to think it was a powerbomb of some kind and they both just fell over. It looked so fucking stupid.

Actually, Scott looked like a chump through pretty much his entire WWE run.

With the recent Samoa Joe/Karen Angle swerve that wasn't really a swerve happening, Samoa Joe was made to look like a fool.

What other times in wrestling where you'd think (Kayfabe wise) it was stupid of a wrestler to do something?

Nah. You've got a 500 lb. guy you aren't getting over the top, maybe you try something else and hope it counts. He looked worse jumping after Jake in '92 and the announcers had to cover for him.

How about the countless times Sting trusted Flair and teamed with him, only for Flair to turn on him every time. Sting made Samoa Joe look like a genius. :huh:

HHH being stripped of the title only to win back again in a few weeks in the elimination chamber.

Booker T and Big T (Ahmed Johnson) fighting over the letter T

Edge and Booker T fighting over a Japanese shampoo commercial

Come to think of it, Booker T's been in a few really dumb storylines.

One thing that always gets me is the perpetually stupid wrestling referees. I love how the heel tag team has always been allowed to blind tag behind the ref's back, and if they tell the ref they tagged he never questions the switch. After all, what moral, upstanding citizen's those heels are. HOWEVER, oh Hell no is the face team EVER going to make a blind tag. The team can yell at the ref all day long that they made a tag, and the crowd can be 100% behind them, but the ref ALWAYS says he never SAW the tag, and tells the other face team member to get out of the ring. Just one of the things that's always annoyed me.

Another one is a wrestler letting another do some long, drawn-out move to him/her and not trying to fight out of it. An example being anyone taking the FU. Cena can stand there for what seems like eternity posing for the crowd, with the other guy laying across his shoulders, and the guy just accepts his fate. That's one of the things I like about Kennedy. He makes his opponent earn nearly every move they do to him, and he's always trying to fight out of something. An example being Lashley trying to give him a Rackbreaker a couple months ago on RAW. Most of the time, Lashley would pick up his opponent, pose for the crowd, and drop-down. Not with Kennedy he didn't. Kennedy started punching him in the head, and clawing at his eyes. He made Lashley fight for that move. It's little things like that, that I feel go a long way.

John Cena winning his 2nd WWE Title at Royal Rumble 2006

It was stupid of John Cena to win back the title?

It always gets me when people like Davey Boy used to press slam people in battle royals and Royal Rumbles and not throw them out.

I always thought Savage pinned Yokozuna because he was so beaten down and was knocked loopy.

HHH being stripped of the title only to win back again in a few weeks in the elimination chamber.

Yeah, I imagine that was just so they could pad his status as a whatever number of times champion.

The Dawn Marie/Torrie Wilson feud...where Torrie won every single match they ever had, clean. Dawn did not get one win in the whole thing, which as the heel made zero sense.

Also hated the Shane vs Kane feud where Shane seemed to kick Kane's ass every week

This could end up being the longest thread in TSM history. The entire mindset of wrestling demands that the fans believe the wrestlers all have the intelligence of a hydrocephalic 5-year-old.

One thing that always gets me is the perpetually stupid wrestling referees.

That annoys you? Try BEING one of those referees. Especially in a Southern fed where you still get people who Truly Believe. I've had to claim I was narcoleptic, suffered partial hearing loss, had tunnel vision, was intensely ADHD, all kinds of shit just to explain why I didn't catch on to the obvious cheating. And hell, I wasn't even trying to be unbiased, I had been the announcer before so I was a pretty blatantly babyface ref who bitched out the heels something fierce every time I caught them doing something. And I still caught hell every night from the crowd. Because of the lazy booking on a lot of these shows, the referees end up with more heat than most of the heels.

No kidding Bob. I don't know how the thread quickly went from "kayfabe things that bother you" to "promotional moves you disliked". Not even close to being the same thing, folks.

That said, when people who use a suplex variant as a finisher (Falcon Arrow, Jackhammer, etc.) apparently have their opponent in a weakened enough state to lift them into the air for a suplex... then drop them down to finish it as a regular suplex. Perhaps their spirit meter wasn't full.

No kidding Bob. I don't know how the thread quickly went from "kayfabe things that bother you" to "promotional moves you disliked". Not even close to being the same thing, folks.

That said, when people who use a suplex variant as a finisher (Falcon Arrow, Jackhammer, etc.) apparently have their opponent in a weakened enough state to lift them into the air for a suplex... then drop them down to finish it as a regular suplex. Perhaps their spirit meter wasn't full.

I always figured in kayfabe terms, that was because they were trying to wear the opponent down to make the finisher more effective.

Yeah sorry I sort of missed the point of the thread right from the get go.

The other week on Impact when Kaz ran to attack Raven while Havok amd Martyr where in the ring at the same time. I mean come on Frank, its three on one! What were you thinking?

the thousand times Buff Bagwell fegined turining face in 98 and Rick Steiner falling for it time after time. then again its rick steiner we are talking about

watching summerslam 94 the other day on 24/7 I thought, why did Shawn throw a tantrum aftre accidentily kicking Diesel, he should have just pulled attacked Razor some more as the ref was distracted by Payton on the apron, or he could have attacked razor in front of the ref to get the dq and save the title.

that bothers me too, why doesn't a face ever purposely get dqed to save a title, I mean in obvious situations like when he is outnumbered by the heels friends at ringside

Everytime the heel acted shocked when Hogan no-sold everything at the end of the match. Oh no the punch to the head won't hurt him, run to the ropes, oh no its the Big Boot, better fall down and get pinned before something serious happens!

Whenever a wrestler goes to the top rope for a move and leaves himself completely open to attack by deciding that this is the perfect time to ignore his opponent and start talking to the ringside fans

It's more a Ric Flair-centric gripe, but it's a spot I really hate.

Everytime the heel acted shocked when Hogan no-sold everything at the end of the match. Oh no the punch to the head won't hurt him, run to the ropes, oh no its the Big Boot, better fall down and get pinned before something serious happens!

I often think while watching old hogan matches, why doesn't the heel run away, or gets himself dqed or counted out when he hulks up

and why is it that faces will stay in the ring when the monsetr heel comes out (like Khali randomly squashing wrestlers), but heels will run for cover, I mean by the time Khali gets out there you could be up in the crowd by the exits

Wrestler A has his opponent in his submission finisher when Wrestler B hops up on the ring apron. Wrestler A breaks the hold and attacks Wrestler B, usually leading to his losing the match. I HATE this finish. Except for in title matches where Wrestler A is challenging, it makes no sense to me.

Sting accepting his fate that someone is going to kick him in the back of the head everytime he puts on the Scorpion Deathlock. It's like sometimes it's to the point where he should call an audible because you know he saw the guy run down the aisle. I guess he figured it was his gimmick to look stupid. I mean he's my all-time favorite and all, but that's the one thing that annoys me about some of his matches.

I also hate in battle royals where someone fucks up the clothesline over the top or throwing someone over the top, and the guy waits a second and then throws himself over.

I've never understood in no disqualification matches why wrestlers break a submission hold when the other wrestler gets into the ropes. The perfect example of this was Survivor Series 1995 when Bret Hart had a figure-four locked on Diesel and Diesel gets to the ropes and Earl Hebner demands there be a break. Why should Bret have even broken the hold? I'd just keep it applied and break Diesel's leg if he won't submit because you can't get disqualified for not breaking the hold at the count of five.

I've never understood in no disqualification matches why wrestlers break a submission hold when the other wrestler gets into the ropes. The perfect example of this was Survivor Series 1995 when Bret Hart had a figure-four locked on Diesel and Diesel gets to the ropes and Earl Hebner demands there be a break. Why should Bret have even broken the hold? I'd just keep it applied and break Diesel's leg if he won't submit because you can't get disqualified for not breaking the hold at the count of five.

I thought you could? I honestly cant remember a time I saw a wrestler not break a submission after the opponent made the ropes, and not get DQ'ed.

I thought you could? I honestly cant remember a time I saw a wrestler not break a submission after the opponent made the ropes, and not get DQ'ed.

In a No-DQ Match.

Speaking of no DQ matches, I hate it when wrestlers come up with schemes to distract the referee ("accidentally" knocking him out, manager or cornerman distraction, etc.) so someone else can run and/or a weapon can be used. Why bother with the scheming, you can do whatever you want.

Speaking of no DQ matches, I hate it when wrestlers come up with schemes to distract the referee ("accidentally" knocking him out, manager or cornerman distraction, etc.) so someone else can run and/or a weapon can be used. Why bother with the scheming, you can do whatever you want.

Yea, I've never understood those things either.