TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Karnage

That Was Stupid!

Guest whizzo
When the face allows himself to get pinned while the heel is just slightly pulling face's tights or slightly holding onto one of the nearby ropes. I think pulling tights or grabbing the bottom rope with your arm gives you magic powers or something.

Ive never bought that one either it just isnt gonna help that much.

also when pinning your opponent someone runs in and stomps on you or hits you but does not move you why give up the pin?

Anytime someone tried to power bomb Kidman.

A wrestler taking off his boot to use it as a club instead of just kicking the guy with it.

A specific example that bothered me this year was when I was at Lockdown. D-Von was standing on the top rope in the electrified cage match, and Hernandez runs over and military presses him back to the middle ring (instead of, you know, pushing him into the 10,000 volt cage). The entire crowd was like WTF after that happened.

I think it's stupid how Randy Orton telegraphs the RKO by laying next to the guy and pounding his hands on the mat. It's like, "Gee, I can sense him laying next to me and pounding the mat. I wonder why?"

The whole appeal of the move when DDP did it was that he could hit it from anywhere and anytime in a split-second.

I also always thought that HBK "tuning up the band" was incredibly stupid because it pretty much lets the opponent know what's coming.

I think it's stupid when Wrestler A is at the top, and wrestler B is getting up...turns around....sees Wrestler A standing at the top turnbuckle and just stands there for what seems like 5 minutes until wrestler A hits his move off the top.

I also can't stand when a spot is missed and it's either sold stupidly, or repeated exactly RIGHT AFTERWARDS. Examples.....Jeff Hardy dropkicking Matt Hardy at the Royal Rumble a few years ago and Matt selling it like death......5 seconds AFTER it was supposedly hit.

Then you have Randy Orton whiffing on his RKO to JEricho a few years back, just to see him get right back up and do the same shit again, as JEricho stands there like a fuckin moron and takes the RKO the second time. Talk about exposing the business.

Even the announcers pointed that one out. I've never understood why they did that at all. The match sucked, Austin was clearly hurt and could barely lift the arm he had bandaged, the Cell coming back down was stupid, Mankind shouldn't have even been WALKING much less doing a run-in, and then it's all undone the next night when Stone Cold just casually wins the title back. Kane got maybe the single worst joke title reign ever, he didn't pin his opponent, hell he didn't even touch him for the finish, and then loses it less than 24 hours later.

That Half Nelson/Exploder trade off was ridiculous.

I remember an AJ Styles/Jeff Jarrett match where AJ enziguris Jarrett's guitar and Jarrett just stands there in disbelief, allowing AJ to roll him up and win the title. I also used to hate when Billy Gunn and Mankind used to pretend chairs were lightsabers.

The ONLY good way of breaking up a pin I've ever seen was the Bashams where someone was covering Doug and Danny/Damaja jumped, grabbed the opponent bodily whilst in mid-air and physically pulled him off the cover with his momentum. With everyone else it just looks like the referee stops counting because physical contact has been made with the guy doing the pin, the pin is still in place to all other intents and purposes.

Any guy who ever yells in pain when Shark Boy 'bites them' on the arse, BECAUSE THERE IS NO HOLE IN THE MASK FOR HIS MOUTH.

Billy Gunn stealing Torrie Wilson's trousers for VKM vs LAX. That damn near traumatised me, and has to go down as 'stupid'

I think it's stupid when Wrestler A is at the top, and wrestler B is getting up...turns around....sees Wrestler A standing at the top turnbuckle and just stands there for what seems like 5 minutes until wrestler A hits his move off the top.

If I was ever a commentator, I would just mention the fight/flight/freeze principle. You may see the move coming and dodge, you may see the move coming and counter it, or you may just stand there like a deer in the headlights and take it. It's all just a natural reaction to danger.

One thing I'm not liking now is the plethora of attempts at a submission finish from the beginning to the match. I mean how many times do we see Wrestler A attempting their submission finisher in the match?

One thing I'm not liking now is the plethora of attempts at a submission finish from the beginning to the match. I mean how many times do we see Wrestler A attempting their submission finisher in the match?

I always figured it was to build heat and it would also lead to some cool looking sequences, like the HBK/Cena superkick/stf counter sequence at Wrestlemania 23

Guest RyechnaiaSobaka
Whenever a wrestler goes to the top rope for a move and leaves himself completely open to attack by deciding that this is the perfect time to ignore his opponent and start talking to the ringside fans

It's more a Ric Flair-centric gripe, but it's a spot I really hate.

When he did that, he used to put his leg on the top rope at first and would just leave it like that instead of putting his foot on the rope. He waited to do that until the very end when the other guy would come over to grab him and throw him off.

The other thing I notice a lot about Ric Flair is that he always lands on his side when he takes a big bump. Back body drops, slams from the top rope, all that. Always lands on his side.

Guest RyechnaiaSobaka

I'm not a fan of the new product but back when I was a fan, you'd have something like Rick Martel turning over the Boston Crab right next to the ropes and you'd wonder why they'd even bother with that when they could have just done it more towards the middle and had the wrestler push-up out of it or crawl to the ropes. And why did the other guy wait so long to grab the ropes when the hold was applied right there?

One just occured to me like a week ago, while watching The Higher Power on YouTube.

How long after WM15 did the Corporation merge with the Ministry? Three weeks? Maybe five or six. Forty days is a pretty quick reconciliation between the Bossman and the guy who HUNG HIM.

Guest RyechnaiaSobaka
Flair takes bumbs on his side because of his broken back.

I figured that's what it was, but I wasn't sure if it would have been worse to land at an angle like that or if he just landed flat. I guess it would have been worse if he just landed flat.

I was reading in another thread on here that apparently Undertaker got pissed at Diamond Dallas Page in a match for not landing flat on his back (due to injury). I guess you only get to land on your side if you've been in a plane crash?

'Taker just hated everybody who came over from WCW. Whether or not they were a superior worker didn't matter (and a few of them were far better than he ever was), he didn't like them because they were from WCW. It didn't matter that DDP had so many injuries he actually worked through over the years, or that he went from having abominable matches week-in and week-out to stealing the show (as far as the heavyweights go) in the span of a year or two, he was WCW. It also didn't matter that, rather than chill until his Turner contract was up (as most of the WCW main event guys did) before negotiating with Vince, DDP came in right away...he was WCW.

Something that always got me about Jeff Jarrett, in particular The Stroke...why didn't any of his opponents just, you know, punch him in the face? I didn't mind when he'd hit it out of nowhere (see the 3-on-1 S.E.X-Jarrett match when Jarrett pinned Daniels after moving out of the way of a diving clothesline and connecting IMMEDIATELY with the Stroke; for further reference, this was the night Raven debuted), but when he'd get them in the Russian Legsweep position and then mock the other guy for a few seconds before hitting it. That just completely exposes wrestling as fake to me, since a few times the other guy would then KICK OUT of the move. Why not spare yourself a little bit of pain and just give 'em a knuckle sandwich?

Guest RyechnaiaSobaka
'Taker just hated everybody who came over from WCW. Whether or not they were a superior worker didn't matter (and a few of them were far better than he ever was), he didn't like them because they were from WCW. It didn't matter that DDP had so many injuries he actually worked through over the years, or that he went from having abominable matches week-in and week-out to stealing the show (as far as the heavyweights go) in the span of a year or two, he was WCW. It also didn't matter that, rather than chill until his Turner contract was up (as most of the WCW main event guys did) before negotiating with Vince, DDP came in right away...he was WCW.

Something that always got me about Jeff Jarrett, in particular The Stroke...why didn't any of his opponents just, you know, punch him in the face? I didn't mind when he'd hit it out of nowhere (see the 3-on-1 S.E.X-Jarrett match when Jarrett pinned Daniels after moving out of the way of a diving clothesline and connecting IMMEDIATELY with the Stroke; for further reference, this was the night Raven debuted), but when he'd get them in the Russian Legsweep position and then mock the other guy for a few seconds before hitting it. That just completely exposes wrestling as fake to me, since a few times the other guy would then KICK OUT of the move. Why not spare yourself a little bit of pain and just give 'em a knuckle sandwich?

Thanks for the information on the Undertaker.

I tend to agree about Jarrett. I never understood why someone would use that move as a finisher, especially in 2007 and in a promotion like TNA where there's so many high-flying maneuvers that people seem to get up from pretty quickly anyway. Why that move would lay somebody out for a pin didn't make much sense to me. I hadn't even though about the idea of breaking out of the move.

Frankly, Jake Roberts' DDT was such a good move because (a) it almost always ended a match unless it was against someone un-hurtable (see: Undertaker at Wrestlemania, who I think sat up from two of them) and (b) he would try it early on and guys would drop to the ground or push him back. They'd try so hard to get out of it, and it was executed so quickly when it did work, that it just made the whole thing seem a lot more realistic.

On a similar note, I always thought DiBiase's "Million Dollar Dream" was much better than a typical sleeper because you almost always saw sleepers get put on through an irish whip with guys like Beefcake. If they had any idea a sleeper was coming, why would run right into it? DiBiase used to sneak up behind guys and then nail them with it.

Jake Roberts is a good example of building a career out of having one good move. If he hadn't had the DDT, I doubt he would have done as much as he did.

Jake Roberts is a good example of building a career out of having one good move. If he hadn't had the DDT, I doubt he would have done as much as he did.

He would've. Roberts was such a natural performer that he would've been a success regardless.

Honestly, for a guy criticized as much as him for not making the most of his talent, he did put together a 20 year career.

And he cut some of the best promos. I still say that for simple "guy cutting a promo on his opponent" promos, his one on DiBiase at Wrestlemania 6(?) is the measuring stick.

I don't mind a lot of the stuff mentioned in the thread, and hell I don't even mind the whole get up and freeze when you see your opponent perched on the top rope as the deer in the headlights mentality is a good excuse.

However, I cringe whenever I see a group of guys blatanty standing outside of the ring for a suicide dive, doing some weak brawling and looking over their shoulders waiting for the move.

I guess I personally feel Roberts is a bit overrated in the ring. Most of his matches during the height of his popularity in the WWF were fairly bad. The DDT was basically the one devastating looking move he did, other than the short-arm clothesline. He's basically just looked upon fondly because he came off as a bad ass and was a great talker.

I guess I personally feel Roberts is a bit overrated in the ring. Most of his matches during the height of his popularity in the WWF were fairly bad. The DDT was basically the one devastating looking move he did, other than the short-arm clothesline. He's basically just looked upon fondly because he came off as a bad ass and was a great talker.

He never had tremendous matches. He had good ones, because he had a good sense of timing and psychology and did not blow many spots. His talent lay in his interviews, and there is a lesson in that.

Guest RyechnaiaSobaka

He never had tremendous matches. He had good ones, because he had a good sense of timing and psychology and did not blow many spots. His talent lay in his interviews, and there is a lesson in that.

He didn't need to do too much because he generally sold fairly well and spent a lot of time telling a story in the ring. I would much, much rather watch that than this cruiserweight stuff where people do hurricanranas over and over and get right back up - no story, no selling, no nothing.