TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Chalmation

Cena's title reign

That I will say again.....John Cena, like him or not, is by FAR the most over figure in wrestling.

I'd say Jeff, Taker and Rey are all more over than Cena. The last one may also be pushing him for merch sales.

Define over, in your eyes. Whether it's face heat or heel heat, it's hard to say that too many guys can sustain a reaction from the beginning to the end of a match like Cena does. Jeff Hardy gets that initial pop and pops for his high spots. UT gets the initial pop and the victory pop, but unless he's in a match with a top notch worker, the fans are sitting on their hands during the match itself. Rey, I'd put him in with Jeff Hardy. Cena is getting a strong reaction from the moment he shows his face to the moment he leaves. The crowd reaction during his WM22 match with HHH was so surreal. I don't recall ever hearing anything like it, at least not in the WWE.

That I will say again.....John Cena, like him or not, is by FAR the most over figure in wrestling.

I'd say Jeff, Taker and Rey are all more over than Cena. The last one may also be pushing him for merch sales.

Define over, in your eyes. Whether it's face heat or heel heat, it's hard to say that too many guys can sustain a reaction from the beginning to the end of a match like Cena does. Jeff Hardy gets that initial pop and pops for his high spots. UT gets the initial pop and the victory pop, but unless he's in a match with a top notch worker, the fans are sitting on their hands during the match itself. Rey, I'd put him in with Jeff Hardy. Cena is getting a strong reaction from the moment he shows his face to the moment he leaves. The crowd reaction during his WM22 match with HHH was so surreal. I don't recall ever hearing anything like it, at least not in the WWE.

Agreed. I was at Unforgiven and the crowd was pretty dead for most of the ppv. They were alive for the entire Cena/Orton match however. I don't think I've ever heard a crowd that loud during a 4 minute rest hold.

I wouldn't be opposed to a Cena heel turn though.

And a more convincing finisher.

Really should have sold that Proto-plex as his finisher.

I wouldn't be opposed to a Cena heel turn though.

And a more convincing finisher.

Really should have sold that Proto-plex as his finisher.

I'm not against the FU (although a real DVD would be better), but for the love of all things holy, please stop with the STFU. It reminds me of The Rock's sharpshooter, which used to piss me off so much. Neither can apply the move correctly and both make that stupid yelling face when they do it. It's just a peeve of mine.

Rocks shitty sharpshooter was understandable because he would put it on so fast to go with his character.

Goddammit I miss the Rock.

I still don't get the love for Cena's matches. All I see from him is fairly weak brawling, decent power moves, and mediocre-at-best short-term selling. I will, however, agree that keeping him on top is practically a genius move, since, like others have said several times before me, you either love him or hate him. Some tune out because he's on, but more tune in when there's a solid CHANCE that he might drop the belt. THAT is good booking.

Agreed. I was at Unforgiven and the crowd was pretty dead for most of the ppv. They were alive for the entire Cena/Orton match however. I don't think I've ever heard a crowd that loud during a 4 minute rest hold.

Give Orton a bit of credit there though, there were some pretty strong Orton chants.

I can see why some don't like his finishing moves, would prefer him as a heel, whatever, but WWE PPV main events are as intense and have more heat during Cena's reign(s) than anything since the height of the Attitude Era.

I personally wouldn't turn him full on heel until that changes, although I would continue to feud him with fellow babyfaces(Lashley, HHH, HBK, even Taker) so the people can boo the hell out of him if they want and the kiddies can still buy his merch in bunches.

The only reason why Cena is so over right now is because people are DYING to see him lose the title.

I wouldn't mind the STFU being used if Cena bothered working on the leg first. I think the only time I ever seen him use it properly was against Khali at Judgment Day this year.

Guest Kesh

so whens his reign gonna end?

I want Cena vs Flair at WM 24 with Flair winning the title, I know the rub is wasted on Flair who by no means needs it, but I think that would just be the best moment they could come up with for when Cena finally does drop the title

He should hold for awhile longer, if only because he is the only big name on the roster that is neither a major injury risk (ex. HHH) or a public relations nightmare waiting to happen (ex. Orton). Considering the number of people who have been injured or suspended this year, it is probably for the best to go with the safest choice.

The only reason why Cena is so over right now is because people are DYING to see him lose the title.

Cena is going to be super over even after he does drop the title. The people who hate him don't hate him specifically because he has the title, but because he's a guy they hate being portrayed as the super babyface. Once Cena loses the title, the people who hate him are still going to hate him. Only instead of wanting him to lose the title, they'll go to either not wanting him to win the title or not wanting him to win the match or feud he's currently in. The emotion Cena generates is here to stay, even when his title reign ends.

Cena is going to be super over even after he does drop the title. The people who hate him don't hate him specifically because he has the title, but because they hate women, children, and homosexuals.

Fixed.

Cena is going to be super over even after he does drop the title. The people who hate him don't hate him specifically because he has the title, but because he's a guy they hate being portrayed as the super babyface. Once Cena loses the title, the people who hate him are still going to hate him. Only instead of wanting him to lose the title, they'll go to either not wanting him to win the title or not wanting him to win the match or feud he's currently in. The emotion Cena generates is here to stay, even when his title reign ends.

Yeah, but Cena is better off without the title. He can regain his fanbase that way. Look at how he was doing last year during his 3 month break. He wasn't hated as much, but as soon as they gave him back the belt to promote his movie, it all went back to shitsville.

Considering the number of people who have been injured or suspended this year, it is probably for the best to go with the safest choice.

Or both.

...both.

The only problem with Cena drawing a negative reaction is that it doesn't fit the story WWE is trying to tell. People do want to see him lose, and people will pay for that, but the other person is portrayed as the heel, clearly. If they turned him into more of a tweener character this could work better.

I'd say Cena is something of a tweener already. They've found a nice way to book him in such a way that pleases his fans and annoys his haters, at the very same time.

I've always thought if Cena were to go full blown heel, he should be like Denzel Washington in Training Day, all "King Kong ain't got nothing on me vibe", surrounding himself with a posse, and starting shit just cause he thinks he's unstoppable.

I don't know but that would make one hell of a gimmick for Cena. Who would he get as his posse too?

I'd like to see Cody Rhodes play the Ethan Hawke character. I would also like to see Cena associated with heels like Burke, Haas and Benjamin.

I can't believe some are claiming Cena is not over. Or that Jeff or Rey even comes close to Cena in overness???

Cena is THE ONLY thing wrestling as going at the moment. Without him this company would be in an even deeper crisis than it already is.

I don't know but that would make one hell of a gimmick for Cena. Who would he get as his posse too?

msp.jpg

?

I guess they might as well dub him: From GREENWICH Conneticut, JOHN CENA!

So it's nice to see Cena as the 6th longest championship reign ever and longest in 19 years. Hustle. Loyalty. RESPECT!

So it's nice to see Cena as the 6th longest championship reign ever and longest in 19 years. Hustle. Loyalty. RESPECT!

What the hell does that mean? I've never understood it.