TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Smues

MLB Off-season Thread

Mets trade Guillermo Mota for Johnny Estrada.

http://rotoworld.com/content/HeadLines.asp...B&hl=226534

Love it. Estrada's no great shakes, but to get something - anything - out of Mota is a clear win to me. The fact that it's a switch hitting catcher to compliment Castro makes it even better.

And he's Hispanic, so he fits with the team model.

brewers.com says the Brewers are talking with Jason Kendall, so this trade makes sense. Bringing in Mota should definitely help their bullpen out.

I personally think some fans were too hard on Johnny Estrada here, but I think him going to another team is for the best.

Love it. Estrada's no great shakes, but to get something - anything - out of Mota is a clear win to me. The fact that it's a switch hitting catcher to compliment Castro makes it even better.

Yeeeeeeeessssssss

One step closer to Los Metropolitanos!

brewers.com says the Brewers are talking with Jason Kendall, so this trade makes sense. Bringing in Mota should definitely help their bullpen out.

I personally think some fans were too hard on Johnny Estrada here, but I think him going to another team is for the best.

Four teams in four years. Makes me wonder if there's a personnel problem under the surface.

Ken Rosenthal is reporting that Miguel Cabrera will most likely be a Dodger or Angel possibly as soon as Thanksgiving.

As much as this is killing me, the names coming back are pretty great. Both 4 player deals are rumored... Kemp and Kershaw being the centerpieces from the Dodgers and Kendrick and Adenhart from the Angels.

Interesting thing about Glavine going back to the Braves is that it gives one more shot for this chain to be unbroken.

Warren Sphan's last year on the Braves, 1964, was Phil Niekro's first and thanks to the 1987 Braves wanting to give Knuksie "One Last Go Round" the last day of the regular season, Phil Niekro ended up being a teammate of Tom Glavine in Glavine's debut season!

And so that meant that before this coming season, one of the following Brave hurlers who made their MLB debuts in 2002 would one day win 300 games! =;)

Kevin Gryboski

Trey Hodges (although he has since been released by the Twins and twice by the Braves, and hasn't pitched in the bigs since 03)

Jung Bong (hasn't pitched in the bigs since 04 with the Reds)

John Foster (hasn't pitched in the bigs since 05)

John Ennis (hasn't pitched in the bigs since 04 with the Tigers)

Andy Pratt (hasn't pitched in the bigs since 04 with the Cubs)

Joey Dawley (hasn't pitched in the bigs since 04 with the Indians)

Seriously though, what is with all those Baby Braves that haven't pitched since 2004? Heh, maybe Mazzone really is overrated as a developmental pitching coach as oppossed to a push-button one (ANYONE could be a PC to Smoltz, Glavine and Maddux.)

Guest Pizza Hut's Game Face

Johnny Estrada AND Damian Miller are better catchers, hitting and fielding, than Jason Kendall. Mota is washed up. Odd trade. Johnny Estrada really must be one insufferable douchebag if he keeps bouncing around the league like this. He's certainly not a bad player. I bet there are people at Brewers boards getting excited because Jason Kendall will have "inside information" on Cubs players. Haha.

Top-Secret Scouting Report:

Jason Marquis: he isn't very good

Sean Marshall: he isn't very good

Alfonso Soriano: can be struck out with an eye-level fastball

Have fun never throwing out baserunners, ever.

Ken Rosenthal is reporting that Miguel Cabrera will most likely be a Dodger or Angel possibly as soon as Thanksgiving.

As much as this is killing me, the names coming back are pretty great. Both 4 player deals are rumored... Kemp and Kershaw being the centerpieces from the Dodgers and Kendrick and Adenhart from the Angels.

Just read the story, I hope this paragraph is true..

The Angels continued pushing for a deal Tuesday, major-league sources say, and the Dodgers continued balking at the Marlins' price.

'Cause honestly, it would suck balls if the Dodgers did this trade.

Most people acknowledge that Kendall isn't any better than Estrada, defensively or offensively. I think this was basically a "team chemistry" thing.

Then that's a big downgrade for the Brewers at catcher, because sure, Kendall handles a staff well, but you're still losing considerable production just because of some silly little slapfight with Ned Yost. (Maybe they removed the wrong half of said fight.) Damian Miller is good, but he's getting too creaky to be your primary catcher. Who was your September callup behind the plate? Mike Rivera? He wasn't terrible.

EDIT: but he is like 31. n/m

Czech, we're not talking a Milton Bradley here. Johnny Estrada has no plate discipline. Jason Kendall at least had a history of high OBPs before last year. He may be burnt toast, but he knows what he is doing. I'm not sure the effort is there from Estrada.

Steve, John Ennis came back briefly with the Phillies this season. Most of those guys still pitch, but they're marginal talents.

One idea on brewerfan.net, if the Brewers do get Kendall, they can bat him in front of Braun, Fielder, Hart, and he will see good pitches. Yes, that is going to artificially inflate his AVG and OBP to a point, but at least he won't be constantly flying out on the first pitch like Estrada was.

Again, this isn't a big blockbuster trade anyway. This is basically the Mets and Brewers trading scrap pieces at this point.

BTW, rumors going around that the Brewers and Braves have been talking about trades involving both Bill Hall and Ben Sheets. That would definitely be blockbuster.

The White Sox released Scott Podsednik, so there's one 2005er that Kenny Williams didn't waste money extending. He sucks. I don't want him. He'll get snatched up by the Reds or Nationals.

I'd be surprised to see Ben Sheets go, but not Bill Hall, who will be rendered even more extraneous than he is now once Matt LaPorta gets called up to patrol the outfield. He's supposed to be like Ryan Braun in that he's a phenomenal hitter but a total retard in the field, which is precisely why Braun shouldn't have been the rookie of the year. He may've been able to win some games in the late/extra innings had he not been (correctly) removed for being such a liability at the hot corner.

Guest RyechnaiaSobaka

Indeed. That is, of course, why they went after Yorvit Torrealba instead of trying to keep Paul Lo Duca. Not a huge difference between the two otherwise.

Torrealba (2007): 3.2 WARP1, .236 season-adjusted EqA

Lo Duca (2007): 2.6 WARP1, .244 season-adjusted EqA

They should trade David Wright for Miguel Cabrera. Minaya can't have some honky as the best player on his team.

Phillies acquire Chris Snelling for cash. Lots of talent, high injury risk. For cash it's really a nice little pickup.

Snelling is an interesting character. He has tons of talent (1.005 OPS in 2005 at AAA Tacoma) but has never been able to string together a consistent stretch of baseball, mostly due to his complete inability to stay healthy. In fact, despite making his pro debut in 2002 (for a cup of coffee with the Mariners) he's never had 100 pro at-bats in a season. This will be his 5th team in less than a year.

Nice guy to take a flier on, but I wouldn't put the chances of success at more than 10%.

Guest RyechnaiaSobaka
Phillies acquire Chris Snelling for cash. Lots of talent, high injury risk. For cash it's really a nice little pickup.

Snelling is an interesting character. He has tons of talent (1.005 OPS in 2005 at AAA Tacoma) but has never been able to string together a consistent stretch of baseball, mostly due to his complete inability to stay healthy. In fact, despite making his pro debut in 2002 (for a cup of coffee with the Mariners) he's never had 100 pro at-bats in a season. This will be his 5th team in less than a year.

Nice guy to take a flier on, but I wouldn't put the chances of success at more than 10%.

I wonder why a cheap team that needs a hitter hasn't gone about trying to make him a DH or a first baseman to limit the injury potential. I'm thinking a team like the Twins. Perhaps the Twins didn't go after him because he bats left-handed and they seem to feel that they have too many left-handed bats already with Mauer and Morneau. I think this is basically why they wasted so many at-bats (in the cleanup spot, no less!) on Rondell White a couple years ago. He was TERRIBLE.

The Athletics could have been another decent fit. They got Snelling earlier this season I think, but Jack Cust emerged as a freakin' awesome DH and that sort of took away the possibility of Snelling filling in there.

I don't know if Snelling will work out in Philadelphia. The outfield is pretty small there so I don't know if he'll be doing too much running if they put him in the corners. Who knows.

On an unrelated note, do you guys think anyone will sign Barry Bonds now that he's been indicted? Even with an out-clause for the team such that if he misses time due to a trial and/or jail sentence, they don't have to pay him and can get out of the contract (it'd only be a 1-year contract anyway, I suspect).

I am thrilled to see the Phillies signed Ron Chiavacci to a minor league contract. Chiavacci is a local product, went to high school in Scranton and College in Kutztown University. This signing means he'll likely pitch for the new Lehigh Valley club next season.

Guest RyechnaiaSobaka
I am thrilled to see the Phillies signed Ron Chiavacci to a minor league contract. Chiavacci is a local product, went to high school in Scranton and College in Kutztown University. This signing means he'll likely pitch for the new Lehigh Valley club next season.

Is that Yankees affiliate leaving Scranton, by the way? (Figured you might follow this, hence my asking you.)

Is that Yankees affiliate leaving Scranton, by the way? (Figured you might follow this, hence my asking you.)

Not for three years as par their agreement. The larger issue in the future is that the commissioner negotiated a deal to give a group the right to purchase the AAA franchise. If that happens, that group could conceivably move the franchise away from Scranton. None of this is imminent, the SWB Yankees will remain for the foreseeable future.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3123200

You know as a Twins fan, seeing Torii land in Anaheim is a 100% relief over Chicago,but im DISGUSTED by this guy. He was on a local sports talk radio show and said even if the Twins offered 5/75mill it wouldnt be enough and then he takes 5/80 mill from LA??

That just eats at my soul, AGAIN i watch a important part of a Minnestoa team lose to free agenacy.

Oh and not too mention Torii saying no more then 48 hoursago he wanted to waittil next week to decide on this..........Happy Thanksgiving!!

Guest RyechnaiaSobaka
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3123200

You know as a Twins fan, seeing Torii land in Anaheim is a 100% relief over Chicago,but im DISGUSTED by this guy. He was on a local sports talk radio show and said even if the Twins offered 5/75mill it wouldnt be enough and then he takes 5/80 mill from LA??

That just eats at my soul, AGAIN i watch a important part of a Minnestoa team lose to free agenacy.

Oh and not too mention Torii saying no more then 48 hoursago he wanted to waittil next week to decide on this..........Happy Thanksgiving!!

Don't worry. He kind of sucks.

Just for fun, let's compare him to another center fielder who's a free agent this year and two years older.

Torii Hunter EqA since 2002 (adj. for season): .252, .266, .271, .271, .277

Mike Cameron EqA since 2002 (adj. for season): .270, .273, .287, .291, .271

Torii Hunter WARP1 since 2002 (adj. for season): 2.7, 4.2, 2.5, 5.5, 5.5

Mike Cameron WARP1 since 2002 (adj. for season): 8.8, 5.6, 2.2, 7.5, 5.1

Oh, and before anybody says "But Torii Hunter is a Gold Glove-winning defensive center fielder!"

Torii Hunter fielding runs above replacement since 2002 (adj. for season): 9, 16, 4, 23, 16

Mike Cameron fielding runs above replacement since 2002 (adj. for season): 52 (!!), 24, -1, 25, 18

I'm not even going to compare their by-age seasons because, while it's even more unfavorable to Hunter, I think you get the message.

The Los Angeles of Los Angeles County of California Angels of Anaheim of Orange County of California: stupid.

Of course, the Twins will probably have to find someone to play center field now. My guess is they will do something dumb like try Jason Tyner there for a good long while, get a sweet .250 EqA/1.7 WARP1 out of him, and lose a lot of games.

Or they could try Denard Span.

I'm pretty sure you can pencil Miguel Cabrera into the Angels line-up now with the past couple moves they made. I'm gonna take a guess and say they send Willits, Santana, Kendrik, and another player over to Florida.

Guest RyechnaiaSobaka
I'm pretty sure you can pencil Miguel Cabrera into the Angels line-up now with the past couple moves they made. I'm gonna take a guess and say they send Willits, Santana, Kendrik, and another player over to Florida.

And you can probably pencil the Angels into the AL West championship if so.

How's this lineup sound to you? (All statistics are translated.)

C Mike Napoli (.850 OPS)

1B Kendry Morales (.848 OPS)

2B Chone Figgins (.417 OBP)

3B Miguel Cabrera (1.003 OPS)

SS Maicer Izturis (.355 OBP)

LF Gary Matthews Jr. (.777 OPS)

CF Torii Hunter (.903 OPS)

RF Vladimir Guerrero (.995 OPS)

DH Garret Anderson (.866 OPS)

I'd guess the order would be something like*:

1. Figgins

2. Izturis

3. Cabrera

4. Guerrero

5. Hunter

6. Anderson

7. Napoli

8. Morales

9. Matthews**

(* Mike Scoscia is kind of an idiot, so who knows if he would screw it all up.)

(** What are the chances they will actually put Gary Matthews Jr., who they are paying like $500 million per year thanks to his HGH-influenced 2006 season, at #9? I think there is no chance at all. It's more likely they will put Matthews at #2 and move Izturis to #9. In fact, if Erick Aybar plays shortstop instead of Izturis, that is probably a better move anyway.)

Not bad. Not bad at all. I kind of like the Athletics, and I have a soft spot for the Rangers as they were my favorite team growing up, but this Angels team looks pretty good (even with Hunter being overrated/overpriced, as I explained in a previous post).