TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Steve J. Rogers

Does knowing a simillar plot line...

On the Netflicks reviews page for Cars a reviewer wrote that they did not care for the movie as much since they already saw Doc Hollywood, which is essentially the same plotline of a big city big shot learning the values of the little things by living in a small town for a couple of days.

Also I recall several posters on wrestling messageboards not getting into Gladiator that much since there was so much similarity between that movie and the original Austin-McMahon angle.

So is this a justifiable reason to knock a movie? Does Honeymoon In Vegas ruin Indecent Proposal?

For me, only if a movie is exactly copying something which has been done before. One big example: the movie Stay has a big twist ending which is the EXACT same thing as a couple other twist endings (

Jacob's Ladder and An Occurance At Owl Creek Bridge

).

Otherwise, if it's just kinda similar to something else, I don't care. It's damn near impossible to make a truly original story, practically anything you could think of has already been done. "Simpsons did it!"

Who the hell remembers Doc Hollywood, anyway?

Personally I don't care, even if it's a straight rip off. It's sort of like listening to a remix album.

I liked The Fast and the Furious the first time I saw it, back when it was called "Point Break." That ruined that movie for me, but I am also not into those types of cars. If they were all muscle cars, the movie would have rocked.

A lot of movies have the same idea but are executed in a completley different way. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is essentially a love story but I'll be damned if I hear someone compare it to something like "The Notebook".

Austin-McMahon is the outline for Gladiator? I had to read that twice it sounded so stupid.

Well it sounds silly, but there were a lot of comparisions between characters in that movie and the Austin-McMahon saga, specifically the Corporation part of the angle.

In a horror movie? Shit, they get blatantly ripped off all the time.

Oh, and speaking of Will Smith movies, I Am Legend is now movie number three based on the book of the same name, except they were all called something different. That's interesting.

You know, Star Wars and Harry Potter have a few things in common.

Um, Julie Warner's enlongated nipples? Of course I remember that.

One of my favorite films as a 12 year old because it was PG-13 and featured multiple nude scenes including, once again, Julie Warners awesome nipples.

If knowing similar plot lines ruined movies for people, then noone would watch martial arts or sports films, because the plots are pretty much the same (by that I mean stuff like Mortal Kombat redoing Enter the Dragon and all Disney sports movies being the same, not The Replacements being similar to The Big Boss).

One of my favorite films as a 12 year old because it was PG-13 and featured multiple nude scenes including, once again, Julie Warners awesome nipples.

Really? I definitely watched the movie, but I don't remember that. Those were the good old days. Kinda like how Spaceballs was PG but full of cursing. They couldn't do that today. I may have to watch Doc Hollywood again.

Really? I definitely watched the movie, but I don't remember that. Those were the good old days. Kinda like how Spaceballs was PG but full of cursing. They couldn't do that today. I may have to watch Doc Hollywood again.

The Sandlot, The gem of my childhood, wouldnt be a PG rated movie today with all the cursing in that movie....

yeah, when she and Fox are out on the canoe, she lays back, topless.

AND when he has the dream after the quilting old ladies slip him a date rape drug(okay, they said it was some kinda tea where he would see his true love, but that was GHB and they know it) he sees her coming out the water naked with lots of shots on her breast and nipples. Then the next day he walks out to the river and she comes popping out the water naked and walks to the shore, kinda puts on a shirt but keeps standing there with her shirt open and wet.

Plus, there are lots of fucks and shits in that move. No way it should have been pg-13. There was nothing brief about the nudity, and there was nothing mild about the language. I think the MPAA just loves Michael J Fox. Wasn't BTTF II rated PG?

Oh yeah, Sandlot was pretty good. Goonies, as well, was PG and full of cursing. Both of those were with kids too, and thus easy to imitate.

I'll digress for a moment also to mention the BBC documentary John's Not Mad, which was about this teenager who had one of the most severe cases of the cursing version of Tourette syndrome ever, and they aired it totally uncensored in prime time. Just full on multiple uses of "fuck" and "cunt" and everything. He even combined them into the single word "cuntfuck". I'm not from England, but from what I hear, the next day every school kid was gleefully repeating everything he said. I suppose they let it pass because it was of "serious" subject matter, sort of like the original Scared Straight was here in the US, which had a similar effect.

John's Not Mad is one of the funniest things ever, it's totally exploitative. They make him go to the library to see what happens and stuff like that. If you ever have the slightest chance to see it, do yourself a favor.

For me, only if a movie is exactly copying something which has been done before. One big example: the movie Stay has a big twist ending which is the EXACT same thing as a couple other twist endings (

).

Otherwise, if it's just kinda similar to something else, I don't care. It's damn near impossible to make a truly original story, practically anything you could think of has already been done. "Simpsons did it!"

Wasn't one of the spoiler tagged references a Twilight Zone episode?

Oh yeah, Sandlot was pretty good. Goonies, as well, was PG and full of cursing. Both of those were with kids too, and thus easy to imitate.

I'll digress for a moment also to mention the BBC documentary John's Not Mad, which was about this teenager who had one of the most severe cases of the cursing version of Tourette syndrome ever, and they aired it totally uncensored in prime time. Just full on multiple uses of "fuck" and "cunt" and everything. He even combined them into the single word "cuntfuck". I'm not from England, but from what I hear, the next day every school kid was gleefully repeating everything he said. I suppose they let it pass because it was of "serious" subject matter, sort of like the original Scared Straight was here in the US, which had a similar effect.

John's Not Mad is one of the funniest things ever, it's totally exploitative. They make him go to the library to see what happens and stuff like that. If you ever have the slightest chance to see it, do yourself a favor.

Remember when they did the new scared straight on MTV uncensored.

I understand that the kids in the room were frightend or whatever, but honestly, just hearing a guy say "We would bend your mutha fuckin ass over and fuck theshit out of you!" on TV would induce laughter and anything but scared straightness.

I think I do remember that. I think they also had an update on the kids from the original, and most of them were fine, but one had went ahead and lived a life of crime anyway. Sad to say, there was a modicum of respect for his dedication.

I've actually gone to one of those scared straight things in real life, and I can report that nobody takes it even slightly seriously anymore. There's flagrant laughter in the face of the cons now, because everyone pretty much knows that nothing is going to happen. Everyone has watched too many prison movies, so nobody is surprised by anything, and there's a general attitude of "Ok, I know you're trying to help me, and the prison would be absolutely retarded to let you anywhere near juveniles if they thought there was the slightest chance you would do anything, so fuck you."

Particularly with me, cause I got singled out over and over again for various reasons, like once they locked me in the closet with these dudes, and they acted like they were going to rape me, but I basically just played chicken with them until they had to crack, and they let me out, by which point the rest of the group had moved on, and they tried to say "Ok, you're going to stay here and be these guys' bitch from now on. We'll call your mom and let her know what happened. This is your new home now." It's like "C'mon, guys. I'm 15, not 5. I may be a fuck up, but I'm not an idiot." The program's a total misfire. Show them the legitimate horrors of the prison system, that's scary enough... don't threaten them in the present tense. Nobody's going to fall for it. I blame the internet.

they should let the kids watch a prison rape actually take place...non-staged, of course.

We won't worry about how illegal it is for a prison to willingly let a rape happen, we're just speaking hypothetically here.

they should let the kids watch a prison rape actually take place...non-staged, of course.

We won't worry about how illegal it is for a prison to willingly let a rape happen, we're just speaking hypothetically here.

I don't know. Kids might be so jaded they would just sit there and watch then go "Well it's not me." I really think for a program like that to be effective, there must be a real risk of the kids themselves getting harmed (hypothetically), like put them in a room with real lifers who's not above doing stuff to kids, unsupervised. Of course the parents would have to sign a waiver to say "Whatever happens in that room, this prison is not liable for".

A waiver would never work. The program's workable, though. Just drag them past the real prison, not the bullshit volunteer stuff. The most (and I might say only) effective part of my own scared straight tour was the part where they showed us the hole. This was Florida in the middle of the summer, so it's unbearably hot anyway, and then they had us walk into a windowless steel room, and it was no joke, even with the door open. Now that's something you can relate to. Plus when you walk by the occupied solitary cells, guys are sticking their arms out through the food slot trying to grab you, and flashing their teeth and sticking out their tongues like Venom. That part was almost like a haunted house, but for real.

my father told me once when i got caught stealing something, I think I was 12, that they would fuck guys like me in prison. I decided from that point on to stay on the straight and narrow. I also decided to start hitting the weights and playing football. "Guys like me? WTF is THAT supposed to mean?"

Lushus, maybe he just saw Road House one too many times?

As far as movies that seem strangely similar, I've always thought the first Harry Potter seemed quite a bit like Young Sherlock Holmes. I think both were directed by Chris Columbus.

).

No, it was a famous old short story which was afaik the first time that particular twist ending was done. I wouldn't be surprised if Twilight Zone did one like it sometime though.

my father told me once when i got caught stealing something, I think I was 12, that they would fuck guys like me in prison. I decided from that point on to stay on the straight and narrow.

So, kinda like that district attorney dude on The Boondocks who turned into a yuppie oreo from fear of being anally raped?

We had something similar to the Scared Straight thing in my high school, except it was called Don't Follow Me and was a slightly different setup. They'd gather the whole school in one big assembly and have the cons up onstage, and they'd tell some horror stories about their lives in prison and how they got there. Anyone who was caught talking or misbehaving during the lectures, they'd send a couple of the prisoners to bring them up onstage in a vaguely threatening manner. I guess they weren't allowed to curse or make any sort of threats, because they didn't, but it still creeped some of us out when one of the guys started talking about how pretty all the girls in the audience were... and how some of their cellmates would climb over them in order to get to the boys.

I never really understood how going to prison makes you prefer boys if you weren't gay before you went. I mean, I know it does genuinely happen, but I don't really understand why. Maybe the relationship of having someone be your bitch is appealing, but it's not always like that. A lot of guys treat their punks really well.

).

No, it was a famous old short story which was afaik the first time that particular twist ending was done. I wouldn't be surprised if Twilight Zone did one like it sometime though.

walkin' dude is correct, Twilight Zone took a French short film based on that story and turned it into an episode for the show's fifth season.