TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Tzar Lysergic

NFL WEEK NINE!! All my exes live in Texas.

Guest Vitamin X
Beating the shit out of people doesn't really require a QB. It requires a lights out RB which we do not have. (Czech got it)

The 6-1 Packers have one of the worst running attacks in the league. Granted they're not beating the shit out of people, but they certainly show that a lights out RB is not required.

And people don't notice it as much, but the same thing goes for the Patriots, whose leading rusher is actually Sammy Morris. Both the Patriots and Packers have the luxury of having a deep and talented receiving corps, much like Indianapolis has/had. And of course, having a Brady or Favre or Manning helps, as noted. But the running back by committee thing does work out quite well.

I know Denver has one of the worst run defenses in the league, but I was pretty impressed with Ryan Grant's running last night. Vernand Morency is shit though, and is only good for third down situations at best. Jackson and Wynn have showed some promise as well, but it's going to take time for these guys to adjust to the system. Grant's looking excellent for now, though.

Guest Vitamin X

Oh, and speaking of which, Green Bay sidelined RB DeShawn Wynn for the season, putting him on injured reserve, and activating Koren Robinson. So it looks like it's Grant-Jackson-Morency in the backfield now.

Brady won't be the key to the game. Nor will Manning. It'll be which team can sustain a running game and control the TOP because both teams are going to put some points up here. Unfortunately for the Pats, Joseph Addai is a far superior back than Laurence Maroney is right now.

I think it'll stay fairly close in the first half, but one team pulls away and wins by about 14.

The problem with Cover 2 is that it's easily exploitable with the pass (and run).

The other problem is that it leaves the middle of the field open. Just watch the replay of the Redskins/Patriots game tonight on the NFL network. For those that didn't see it. 90% of Brady's passes are dinks and dunks that end up racking up 15 yards of YAC, because the middle of the field is empty. The Cover 2 is designed to stop the run and take away the deep pass.

Oh and don't ask me why this game is even on NFL Replay.

Beating the shit out of people doesn't really require a QB. It requires a lights out RB which we do not have. (Czech got it)

The 6-1 Packers have one of the worst running attacks in the league. Granted they're not beating the shit out of people, but they certainly show that a lights out RB is not required.

And people don't notice it as much, but the same thing goes for the Patriots, whose leading rusher is actually Sammy Morris. Both the Patriots and Packers have the luxury of having a deep and talented receiving corps, much like Indianapolis has/had. And of course, having a Brady or Favre or Manning helps, as noted. But the running back by committee thing does work out quite well.

I know Denver has one of the worst run defenses in the league, but I was pretty impressed with Ryan Grant's running last night. Vernand Morency is shit though, and is only good for third down situations at best. Jackson and Wynn have showed some promise as well, but it's going to take time for these guys to adjust to the system. Grant's looking excellent for now, though.

The Pats average 4.2 YPC and 135.8 YPG

Packers 3.4 YPC and 71.3 YPG

Guest Vitamin X

Hey smart guy, it was in reference to this:

but they certainly show that a lights out RB is not required.

And if you actually read the post, you'll notice I'm talking about having a running back by committee, and not comparing the Packers' run game to the Patriots in any respect but that.

And the Pats' O-Line is probably the best in the league right now. No disrespect to Kevin Faulk, Laurence Maroney, or Sammy Morris, but I severely doubt they'd be having the success they have on the Patriots with any other team or scheme. Maroney, maybe. But there's a reason why Faulk was always willing to take the paycut to stay in New England, and Morris was a career backup for every team he's played for.

It's weird that Green Bay's been in so many of the top Fox games this year. I had been getting used to the bottom of the barrel, as it were.

Guest Gym Class Fallout

Probably because of the three games they've played against the NFC East. America cares.

Guest Vitamin X

That's gotta suck to live in the Houston or Central California area. It even appears that Oakland fans care more about NE/Indy than their own team, apparently. Hell, I probably would too.

Yes. Were I forced to choose between watching the Bucs and Cardinals or the Colts and Patriots, I'd definitely opt for the latter. Given that this has been the marquee matchup in the NFL for a few years now, I don't get why they don't just make it a primetime game every year until one or both of the teams falls off.

That's gotta suck to live in the Houston or Central California area. It even appears that Oakland fans care more about NE/Indy than their own team, apparently. Hell, I probably would too.

I think I'm going to try and get to a bar so I can watch the Colts/Pats game. Houston's been pissing me off far too much lately for me to care about them taking on the Raiders.

Dear God,

Please don't allow the Oakland-Houston game to be televised over NE-Indy.

Love,

Northern California

BAL @ PIT: The Ravens are perplexing this year with their QB situation. I'm not a big Roethisberger fan, but I would take him over Kyle Boller. Steelers by 10.

Nothing perplexing about the fact they gave McNair a month off to heal up for this stretch run of games.

Guest Vitamin X

Ha, from deadspin.

It's not easy being a Raiders fan. First off: What goes with black? Seriously! It's also difficult to find time to cheer, what with all the drinking of infant's blood. And worst off, the Raiders' lousy game with the Texans this Sunday happens to be at the same time as The Most Important Battle Between Good And Evil Since The Fight For ImaginationLand. So some Raiders fans are taking matters into their own hands: They're begging their fellow boosters not to go to the game.

See, if the game isn't a sellout and is therefore blacked out, Oakland and San Francisco residents can actually watch the Patriots-Colts game.

This is one of the rare times that a substantial portion of local NFL fans may be rooting for a Raiders blackout. (The 49ers have a 10 a.m. PST kickoff in Atlanta.) Barring a deadline extension by the NFL, the Raiders have until 1:15 p.m. Thursday to sell out the game. Otherwise, the local telecast will fall into its own Black Hole.

Frankly, we don't see why this is a problem; we didn't know there 50,000 people who would rather watch Raiders-Texans over the Colts-Patriots anyway, let alone enough who would want to suffer through the experience in person. Even if there is a baby sacrifice.

Bay Area football fans are subjected to God awful 49ers and Raiders football on a weekly basis with rarely another game opposite the other to switch to. We deserve to actually see some good teams play for once.

Guest Smues

That CBS late game coverage map with everybody but a small part of Texas getting the Colts game is funny to look at.

That CBS late game coverage map with everybody but a small part of Texas getting the Colts game is funny to look at.

Don't forget those tortured souls in Cleveland that don't get a late game at all.

Don't forget those tortured souls in Cleveland that don't get a late game at all.

I noticed that too. Why would the Cleveland area not get the late game but every other place in America does?

I noticed that too. Why would the Cleveland area not get the late game but every other place in America does?

The Cleveland game is on FOX at 4 so CBS cant compete in the Cleveland market..or something like that.

Because the Browns are at home on fox at 4:00. No games can air at the same time as the local team's home game on another network.

Judge Calls Andy Reid's Home Drug Emporium

A judge who sentenced Philadelphia Eagles coach Andy Reid's sons on Thursday likened the coach's home to "a drug emporium" and questioned whether his adult sons should live there.

"There isn't any structure there that this court can depend upon," Montgomery County Judge Steven O'Neill said before sentencing Britt Reid to up to 23 months in jail plus probation.

"I'm saying this is a family in crisis," O'Neill said.

Earlier Thursday, O'Neill sentenced Garrett Reid, a drug addict and dealer who said he got a thrill out of selling drugs in "the 'hood," to up to 23 months in jail for smashing into another motorist's car while high on heroin.

O'Neill noted that searches of the Reid home found illegal and prescription drugs throughout the house. He said both boys had been overmedicated throughout much of their lives.

"It sounds more or less like a drug emporium there, with the drugs all over the house and you are an addict," O'Neill told Britt Reid.

Andy Reid and his wife, Tammy, were in court but declined to comment.

"Andy and Tammy are supportive of their son. That has been their position since this all began. He will not comment on it," defense attorney Ross Weiss said before the judge's comments.

Both sons lived at their parents' home in the suburb of Villanova at the time of their initial arrests. Andy Reid took a five-week leave from the Eagles in the offseason to deal with his family's troubles but has repeatedly said he will not step down.

On Thursday, Britt Reid said everything he did, he did without his parents' knowledge, but O'Neill questioned that.

Both Reids can apply for a special drug court program that would require them to report to authorities regularly, undergo rigorous drug testing and hold down jobs.

The 22-year-old Britt Reid was sentenced to eight to 23 months in jail plus five years' probation on gun and drug charges. He can apply for the special drug program after five months.

Britt Reid whose been jailed since August told a judge he wants to get on with his life, get away from drugs and go back to school.

Garrett Reid was sentenced to two to 23 months in the county prison plus one year of probation. He told O'Neill that he would apply to the drug court program.

"I don't want to be that kid who was the son of the head coach of the Eagles, who was spoiled and on drugs and OD'd and just faded into oblivion," the 24-year-old said in court.

The coach's two sons got into separate legal trouble Jan. 30.

Garrett Reid tested positive for heroin and admitted having used it that day. He ran a red light in Plymouth Township and hit another car. Authorities found syringes with heroin and testosterone in his SUV.

In a separate incident that same day, Britt Reid pointed a handgun at another driver following a dispute. He pleaded guilty to a string of charges, including carrying a firearm without a license, a felony.

Speaking in court and in a statement to a probation officer, Garrett Reid said he made a fast descent into hard drugs and enjoyed being the rich kid who dealt drugs in poor, violent Philadelphia neighborhoods and in the tony suburbs.

His addiction persists, according to authorities, who found 89 prescription drug pills in Reid's jail cell Thursday morning. They believe he smuggled them in his rectum when he was jailed earlier this week.

"I've grown to expect all things with this case that was a new one for me," said the prosecutor, Senior Deputy Attorney General Marc Costanzo. "That's consistent with someone as severely drug addicted as he is."

Garrett Reid's descent in drug use and dealing was steep, according to a probation report read in court. Reid said he didn't use drugs until he graduated from high school, then started with marijuana and alcohol at age 18. That was followed by prescription pain killers Percocet and OxyContin, and then cocaine and heroin.

By 20, he was in drug rehab.

Reid said he sold drugs to his friends and their parents in the suburbs and in a notoriously tough section of Philadelphia.

"I liked being the rich kid in that area and having my own high status life," Reid told a probation officer in a statement read by the judge. "I could go anywhere in the 'hood. They all knew who I was. I enjoyed it. I liked being a drug dealer."

He said in court Thursday that he has stopped selling drugs.

"I did get a thrill out of it," he said. "That was also part of the whole new world that opened up to me when I smoked that first joint."

Costanzo said authorities were satisfied with the sentence, noting "the drug court is the best part."

The judge told the Reid parents Thursday that they obviously love their children but they need to accept accountability, since their sons were engaging in illegal activity in their home. In fact, both sons had illegal drugs stashed in cars owned by the family, O'Neill noted.

Go to a bar with the NFL package to watch Hogan/Andre at WM3 aka Pats/Colts 07, aka SB 41. Bring Marvin with you to

critique the bar's A/V equipment, and then hit on some chicks.

October was a month-long Sportsgasm here in Boston, that doesn't look to let up any time soon.

Is anyone else getting that feeling that the Patriots might just beat the crap out of the Colts this weekend? If that happens, we may as well consider the season over because no one is beating New England.