TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Tzar Lysergic

NFL WEEK NINE!! All my exes live in Texas.

It's boring to watch the Patriots bitch slap everybody, but I wasn't aware that they were lacking class in their approach. I know Bill Simmons' keeps talking about the "F U" touchdowns, but I've never gotten the impression watching the games that they are trying to embarrass anyone.

I hate Bill Belichick. I still feel we can accuse him of cheating his way to all those Super Bowl wins. However, I don't think running up the score is bad form. It's just stupid to not take your starters out when the game is essentially over. I think it'd be funny if someone went after Brady and actually took him out for the year. I'd rather someone take out their coach, though.

As for the TD by Cassel, backups ought to be playing hard to show their ability to be a starter somewhere.

For what it's worth, 20% of the Patriots' points have come in the 3rd quarter and 26% in the 4th. The point distribution is pretty even throughout the game, so it's not like they're putting up another 3 TDs in the last ten minutes just to fuck with their opponents.

It went totally under the radar, but former USC standout receiver Mike Williams was cut by the Raiders this week. Talk about a draft bust. I bet Mel Kiper feels a little stupid for having him as no. 1 on the big board.

It went totally under the radar, but former USC standout receiver Mike Williams was cut by the Raiders this week. Talk about a draft bust. I bet Mel Kiper feels a little stupid for having him as no. 1 on the big board.

He never recovered from that year off during the whole Clarett debacle, his own damn fault but still. At one time I think he could have been a fine receiver had he just stayed in school and not followed Maurice but when he returned to football after a year off, he was horrible in every way possible.

Guess once you leave the game from an offensive position, you can't just expect to come back and be great. Pity no one explained that to Mike.

I think that's just a convenient excuse for Williams. I've heard that he has a horrible work ethic and never improved on the facets of his game that weren't pro level. He just hoped it would be as easy as college was. Taking the year off certainly didn't help, but people have taken a year off before and come back at a high level.

Is anyone else getting that feeling that the Patriots might just beat the crap out of the Colts this weekend? If that happens, we may as well consider the season over because no one is beating New England.

coughweek13cough

Is anyone else getting that feeling that the Patriots might just beat the crap out of the Colts this weekend? If that happens, we may as well consider the season over because no one is beating New England.

coughweek13cough

...Seriously?

This is the NFL and anything can happen on any given Sunday, but the game @ Baltimore is #4 on the list of games that could derail the Patriots, behind games @ Indy, vs. Pittsburgh and @ NYGiants.

I think if they don't start using a little bit of class in their wins, they are going to end up damaging themselves. Not even Brady because he could still be safe, but a offensive lineman or a reciever is going to get seriously hurt if they keep it up.

Oh, and not that anyone cares, but welcome back to blackout land here in Atlanta. I kept saying next year would be when it hit, but nope...already this year.

There was a story about how that 90,000 people waiting list for season tickets has dwindled to 0. To fucking ZERO.

I thinking more and more that Vick is going to get a second chance in this city. For better or for worse. And I think it will be for worse.

I think that's just a convenient excuse for Williams. I've heard that he has a horrible work ethic and never improved on the facets of his game that weren't pro level. He just hoped it would be as easy as college was. Taking the year off certainly didn't help, but people have taken a year off before and come back at a high level.

True.

There's a reason why Lions' fans called him BMW (Big Mike Williams), and it wasn't for his big-play ability.

There's gotta be something at USC concerning WR's....

Apparently Panther's WR Steve Smith called out Dwayne Jarrett to start studying film rather than giving interviews by interrupting Jarrett's interview and calling him out to his face.

I don't think its totally true. The reason is that Mike Williams was going to be fat whenever he retired. Then he got retired for a year and no coaches on his ass to keep him in shape. There is no way he was going to get back in shape after that year off.

Some guys are just going to be fat and they are just avoiding it for the time being. Case in point, Antoine Walker is going to be really really fat when he is done playing. And Shaq is going to look like Big Show.

He didn't have the dedication to stay in shape when he was away from football, and that pretty much ended him. I think if he had been able to stay in the draft that year he would have been fine. Until he got injured eventually and sat around.

It's comletely ridiculous for any team to "let up" from what they do in any sport just becaus ethey are that much better than the teams they are playing. Like Joe Gibbs said, it's their job to stop the Patriots, not the Patriots job to stop the Patriots. If someone can ever actualy GET to Brady and injure him then good for them. That would be more "classless" than anything the Pats have done this year. They have run the ball more times than not in the 4th and still nobody has been able to stop them. What are they supposed to do? Kneel on the ball in the 3rd quarter up by 3 scores? Just run the ball every play so the other teams can stack the box and stop them and cause 3 and outs for the last 20 minutes of the game?

Sage friggin' Rosenfels showed why no team can "go easy" with a big lead.

There's gotta be something at USC concerning WR's....

Apparently Panther's WR Steve Smith called out Dwayne Jarrett to start studying film rather than giving interviews by interrupting Jarrett's interview and calling him out to his face.

Good thing they got rid of that Keyshawn Johnson guy. That move is working out wonderfully.

Whats even funnier is the pretending they didn't expect him to contribute immediately and that this was planned. After they cut a productive Keyshawn Johnson planning on Jarrett contributing this year.

Guest Pizza Hut's Game Face

When that one Packer took a cheap shot on Jim McMahon, that was after the play, right? So that's not without precedent. Actually, somebody on the Patriots did the very same thing to end McMahon's season a few years later. Well, now somebody has to take Brady out. I mean, Jim McMahon wasn't even good!

It's comletely ridiculous for any team to "let up" from what they do in any sport just becaus ethey are that much better than the teams they are playing. Like Joe Gibbs said, it's their job to stop the Patriots, not the Patriots job to stop the Patriots. If someone can ever actualy GET to Brady and injure him then good for them. That would be more "classless" than anything the Pats have done this year. They have run the ball more times than not in the 4th and still nobody has been able to stop them. What are they supposed to do? Kneel on the ball in the 3rd quarter up by 3 scores? Just run the ball every play so the other teams can stack the box and stop them and cause 3 and outs for the last 20 minutes of the game?

Sage friggin' Rosenfels showed why no team can "go easy" with a big lead.

This is why Patriot fans are pissing me off.

Stop being fucking delusional. Lining up with less than 45 seconds left and running multiple plays in a game that is already decided and punching it in with 19 seconds to go is not the middle of the fucking 3rd quarter. Kneel the fucking ball and get the game over with. they on the other hand are looking to score. THAT IS RUNNING UP THE SCORE.

No one said shit about the 3rd quarter, but looking to score with less than 1:30 to go and its first down, you are running up the score and there is no other way around it. And have fun doing it, but when someone gets hurt and people cheer, its going to be the woe is us, no one respects up crap all over again. No one else in the entire fucking football league does it because they have some goddamn class about themselves.

I respect the fans that admit that they are running up the score but all these "But running up the score is the right thing to do!! THey are playing the entire game!!! Thats what you do!!!!"

Unless you are every other NFL team for the last 20 goddamned years. Otherwise, yes, you go for touchdowns, up 21 with less than a minute to go.

I don't care about running up the score. I just hate the Patriots.

Whatever. It's blatantly obvious people are just whining because it's the "We get no respect Patriots" that's doing this. The no respect thing is garbage, the Cheating "scandal" is garbage, and the whole "running up the score is classless" thing is garbage too. If players get hurt playing in any game it's a bad thing, regardless of what part of the game it happens in and what the score is. If someone is going to get hurt it's going to happen anyway. You won't see me whining if someone decides to "take out" Patriots players for what they are doing because they are playing football and shit happens. Saying they deserve to get hurt is the real classless bullshit.

It's blatantly obvious people are just whining because it's the "We get no respect Patriots" that's doing this.

Well, duh, and the reasons you listed aren't garbage, but perfectly legitimate reasons for other football fans to be irritated with them. Nobody west of the Hudson can like this team.

Guest Vitamin X
When that one Packer took a cheap shot on Jim McMahon, that was after the play, right? So that's not without precedent. Actually, somebody on the Patriots did the very same thing to end McMahon's season a few years later. Well, now somebody has to take Brady out. I mean, Jim McMahon wasn't even good!

Yeah, that was after the play, but the only precedent needed in a Bears-Packers game is the fact that it's a Bears-Packers game. But McMahon was a tremendous prick- witness him even defecting to Green Bay and playing backup to Favre in their super bowl run in 96. And he was a decent quarterback- at least he didn't fuck up the Super Bowl like another Chicago QB we won't talk about.

And also Boon, I don't think you could just point at the Dallas game for inference about how they've run up the score. They did the same thing against the Redskins and Dolphins as well, and even when teams played em a bit close at the half, they come out and bitchslap them in the second. In a way, it's fun to watch, as they've become a team I really love to hate, probably as much as Boston fans love them as well.

Also, I've been reading a lot of new Yahoo! Sports columnist Michael Sliver's stuff, and he recently posted a pretty good article on another aspects of the Colts-Pats rivalry: the front office. Here's an excerpt:

Last season, during an October game between the Colts and Jets at Giants Stadium, Polian went even further, quite literally taking matters into his own hands. According to a report on FOX's pre-game show by Jay Glazer, Polian became upset before the game that loudspeakers had been set up too close to the field and began arguing with a New York Jets operations employee. At one point, Glazer reported, Polian grabbed the employee by the lapels of his suit jacket and jacked him up against the wall of a tunnel underneath the stands.

According to Glazer, Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum raised the issue with a league office, and Polian was later forced to write a written apology.

Here's where the Pats' front office decided to have some fun: Shortly before the Colts headed to Foxborough for a game last November, Pioli contacted the NFL and, citing the incident at Giants Stadium and Polian's past behavior in the Gillette Stadium press box, indicated he was concerned for the safety of the Patriots' employees. Pioli went on to demand that Polian provide a signed assurance that he wouldn't physically harm anyone who worked for the Patriots; otherwise, the vice president said, the team wouldn't issue Polian a credential. To say Pioli, Belichick and various other Pats higher-ups got a rise out of that bit of gamesmanship would be a massive understatement.

Polian sidestepped the potentially embarrassing quandary by getting admission to the stadium through other means and electing not to sit in the press box. He undoubtedly was still seething two months later, when the Colts hosted the Pats in the '06 AFC Championship game.

"That's when he got us back by turning up the heat in the Dome," insists one Patriots source. "If you remember, we had about eight players who'd been suffering from flu-like symptoms and were dehydrated, and it was like 85 degrees in there. The field was slick, our players were slipping all over the place, and they had the usual pumped-in crowd noise. I give him credit. He got us."

Amazing.

Here I thought the Colts were better than the Patriots that day. Now I know it was the Magic "Flu-Like-Symptoms"-Exacerbating Air Conditioning System Of Doom that really sealed the deal. I suppose Bill Polian also operated the Magic Homer-Affecting Air Conditioning System Of Doom back at the Metrodome, too?

Guest Vitamin X

That must explain why the Patriots always lose in Miami.

Only global warming can stop New England!

Don't forget the WR dropsies in that game too.

To be fair, the commentators mentioned the heat in the dome during the game. That's home field andvantage though, nothing at all wrong with that.

I know fantasy talk is discouraged in these threads (not that I'm complaining), but this really needs to be noted: Jim Sorgi was on the "not hot" list of fantasy QBs on Yahoo. :lol:

coughweek13cough

...Seriously?

This is the NFL and anything can happen on any given Sunday, but the game @ Baltimore is #4 on the list of games that could derail the Patriots, behind games @ Indy, vs. Pittsburgh and @ NYGiants.

The Steelers haven't played a good team yet and you think they can beat the Patriots..HA

If the Patriots were to go 15-0, I doubt the Giants could stop them from going 16-0 even if the Giants had a playoff spot on the line..which they'll probably have locked up.

and if Indy beats the Patriots today (which I doubt..), then its

coughWEEK14cough (unless they lose to the Chargers next week..which will probably happen if they win today)