TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hunter's Torn Quad

WWE General Discussion - December 2007

This is Wade Keller commenting on the Savage-WWE situation, it's the first time I've heard either Keller or Meltzer mention the Steph stuff.

John Lucas asks: Ask the Editor is my favorite feature on the website. Here's a question. Vince McMahon has always put aside bad feelings towards others in the interest of doing business and making money. However, this does not hold true for Mach Man Randy Savage. What is the problem Vince McMahon has with Randy Savage? Does Savage have an issue with McMahon?

WK: It's one of the most widely speculated questions in the industry, and most people on the inside who speak about this believe it has something to do with interaction Savage had with Stephanie McMahon years ago. Savage left WWE where he was co-hosting Raw for WCW to become an active wrestler again and enjoyed a resurgence of his in-ring career at that point, but many wrestlers left under similar circumstances that McMahon has welcomed back in the interest of generating fan interest. I do know that McMahon bristles at the mere mention of Savage's name, and it's considered taboo within WWE to even acknowledge Savage in front of McMahon. McMahon has made is clear over the years bringing Savage back is out of the question and no up for debate.

That still doesn't answer why they promoted the first Smackdown magazine in late 2003 with an interview with Savage.

TNA is in negotiations with MMA star Bob Sapp, reports the Wrestling Observer Newsletter. TNA has offered him an initial four-month deal, in which Sapp would be paid $2,500 per match. TNA wants Sapp to work a program with Kurt Angle, and then later with Samoa Joe. Sapp is paid about $35,000 per match for Hustle (he is under contract with Hustle for one year), and has received a seven figure offer from WWE. It appears WWE has been in talks with Sapp once again. Apparently, WWE and Sapp had serious talks a few months ago. There was talk that WWE would promote Sapp as a combined MMA/pro wrestling star.

credit:gerweck.net

I posted this in both because that note says the WWE is back on the Sapp wagon.

WWE contacted Bret Hart the week before the Raw15 special to try and get him to appear. WWE wanted to buy the American rights to his autobiography so that they could get it published here in exchange for a live appearance on the Raw15 show. However, the deal hit a permanent snag when WWE told Bret they wanted to change some things in the book, which Bret 100% refused. When WWE wouldn't relent on editing the book, Bret eventually told them no thanks.

-- PWI

I can't blame WWE - it's a good book and would probably make them cash, but it's not exactly the kind of book they should be attaching their name to without some "polishing" on their part. Good on Bret for not allowing that.

If he's looking for a pay off, go to the WWE...without a doubt

They could team him with Khali and call it the Mean Machine. :D

TNA is in negotiations with MMA star Bob Sapp, reports the Wrestling Observer Newsletter. TNA has offered him an initial four-month deal, in which Sapp would be paid $2,500 per match. TNA wants Sapp to work a program with Kurt Angle, and then later with Samoa Joe. Sapp is paid about $35,000 per match for Hustle (he is under contract with Hustle for one year), and has received a seven figure offer from WWE. It appears WWE has been in talks with Sapp once again. Apparently, WWE and Sapp had serious talks a few months ago. There was talk that WWE would promote Sapp as a combined MMA/pro wrestling star.

credit:gerweck.net

I posted this in both because that note says the WWE is back on the Sapp wagon.

Could you credit the original source? Gerweck.net is one of those copy & paste sites.

Credit to Enigma on IRC chat for relaying this from PWINSIDER

Bobby Heenan is undergoing major surgery today. They will be taking bone from both his shin and theigh and using it to construct a new jaw. His natural jawbone was destroyed by radiation therapy in treating his throat cancer, which led to his awkward voice. The surgery is major enough that after it's completion, he will have to be in an induced-coma for several days.

I'd really like to see Sapp in WWE or TNA, just to see how he'd go over with an American wrestling audience. I think he would be huge.

While Sapp would have to be handled correctly due to his limitations, he's got so much charisma and personality that to screw things up with him you'd either have to be completely inept or deliberately trying to fail with the guy.

Of all the stars from the past who made cameo appearances on Monday night's 15th Eaw Anniversary show, Tammy 'Sunny' Sytch looks to have the best chance of landing a job in World Wrestling Entertainment (besides the likes of Trish Stratus and Rob Van Dam obviously)

Backstage at the show, Johnny Ace asked Sytch for her contact information. They talked with her about doing some segments with WWE 24/7. However it is not known at this time if they'd like her back as a member of the roster.

wrestling observer newsletter

Of all the stars from the past who made cameo appearances on Monday night's 15th Eaw Anniversary show, Tammy 'Sunny' Sytch looks to have the best chance of landing a job in World Wrestling Entertainment (besides the likes of Trish Stratus and Rob Van Dam obviously)

Backstage at the show, Johnny Ace asked Sytch for her contact information. They talked with her about doing some segments with WWE 24/7. However it is not known at this time if they'd like her back as a member of the roster.

wrestling observer newsletter

Hmmm...

I wonder if this means they'll start using the SMW footage regularly?

Probably not, but it doesn't hurt to dream.

Anyways, Sunny would be a welcome addition to the female roster.

Sapp is impossible to explain to people who don't understand what he is.

I mean, legitimately, he was a MMA fighter who has potential who eventually became a bad K-1 fighter. Yet somehow, he became a gigantic star in Japan through that and it wasn't just because of his size or being protected.

Bob Sapp has incredible charisma...but it's a different kind of charisma then we normally see. Sapp probably won't be good at doing promos. He probably won't be good at one liners. He's not that great at being the super intimidating huge unstoppable force as Hustle has shown, and he's really not that good of a wrestler...

Yet there's *SOMETHING* there that's impossible to explain.

If WWE or TNA let Bob Sapp be Bob Sapp, they could have something that nothing currently rivals. I don't even know if you could promote Sapp as a heel. I don't even know if Bob Sapp can work as a face. He's just...BOB SAPP.

Let him dance to the ring to Michael Jackson or Madonna and watch the people pop for him. Then have him kill people in five minutes and dance back up the ramp.

Superstar.

Let him dance to the ring to Michael Jackson or Madonna and watch the people pop for him. Then have him kill people in five minutes and dance back up the ramp.

Superstar.

So basically, he's like Rikishi circa 2000 except he's black and he's ripped?

Superstar.

But with a million times the charisma and personality.

Credit to Enigma on IRC chat for relaying this from PWINSIDER

Bobby Heenan is undergoing major surgery today. They will be taking bone from both his shin and theigh and using it to construct a new jaw. His natural jawbone was destroyed by radiation therapy in treating his throat cancer, which led to his awkward voice. The surgery is major enough that after it's completion, he will have to be in an induced-coma for several days.

Good luck to Bobby on that, I wish him the best.

Superstar.

But with a million times the charisma and personality.

Rikishi I always felt like was a novelty act. Haha, look at the dancing fatty wearing a thong, HE JUST WANTS TO HAVE FUN BUH GAWD KING! No no, that does not apply to Sapp. Sapp's is more a Hulk Hogan in the '80s kind of charisma. I really and truly believe he is capable of being *THE* next big thing in wrestling. Not in the fashion that will get workrate fans excited, and not in the Cena "women and children love him, adult males hate him" fashion. Real, full-fledged, Rock or Hogan big.

Regarding Sapp, I think he plays well to Japanese fans, but that it wouldn't necessarily translate well Stateside.

Sapp has a level of charisma and personality that translates to any audience.

Rikishi I always felt like was a novelty act. Haha, look at the dancing fatty wearing a thong, HE JUST WANTS TO HAVE FUN BUH GAWD KING! No no, that does not apply to Sapp. Sapp's is more a Hulk Hogan in the '80s kind of charisma. I really and truly believe he is capable of being *THE* next big thing in wrestling. Not in the fashion that will get workrate fans excited, and not in the Cena "women and children love him, adult males hate him" fashion. Real, full-fledged, Rock or Hogan big.

I have no doubt Sapp could get Rock/Hogan level big. None at all.

I think Sapp could be huge for the business if used right, and I think Cena has more adult male fans then some may think. I for one am a fan so that makes one atleast.

Sapp has come off well everytime I've seen him whether it be the movies, that old toughman contest show, or the few New Japan matches I've seen him in. He's got that it factor and the charisma, and he's not really Khali levels of bad so he could surprise people.

I think Sapp could be huge for the business if used right, and I think Cena has more adult male fans then some may think. I for one am a fan so that makes one atleast.

Sapp has come off well everytime I've seen him whether it be the movies, that old toughman contest show, or the few New Japan matches I've seen him in. He's got that it factor and the charisma, and he's not really Khali levels of bad so he could surprise people.

I do agree with you Cena has gained a lot of popularity with adult males since '06 when he was getting audible boos. But yeah, Sapp isn't bad in the ring by any means. The NJPW and HUSTLE stuff of his I've seen online was entertaining, I just meant he's not going to be a wet dream for ROHbots (and I mean the hardcores who chant smarky shit, not ROH fans in general. I personally enjoy most ROH but hate the fanboys).

I haven't really seen much from Sapp in terms of his wrestling or fighting, but I will say I found him highly entertaining in The Longest Yard. I'd be interested in seeing him in WWE.