TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hunter's Torn Quad

WWE General Discussion - December 2007

thank you Dusty, and I think moving Boogeyman to Raw would be great for him since Raw has been more on the entertainment value side as of lates.
Plus, I think a feud between Boogey and Santino could be very interesting.

thank you Dusty, and I think moving Boogeyman to Raw would be great for him since Raw has been more on the entertainment value side as of lates.

Well with the way Santino has been wrestling the two could maybe pull off...a ok match.

Well with the way Santino has been wrestling the two could maybe pull off...a ok match.

Who gives a crap about the wrestling if the promos and interactions are awesome? Wrestling ability isn't quite everything.

So Dr. Phil Astin was in court last week hoping to get his bail conditions eased up so that he could go to work. He's totally broke and has been offered a job at a local towing company. Well, he got to court and the government produced surveillance photos of him gallivanting all over town. He's allowed to leave his house to go to church, see the doctor, visit with his attorney or attend court hearings. Well, he was shopping at stores, eating at a local restaurant, and even showing up at the home of his ex-wife who has a restraining order against him.

Apparently Astin's attorney was taken completely off guard and called this a government ambush. The prosecuting attorney said the judge should increase Astin's bail conditions rather than ease them up. Judge said she'd make a ruling next month. Worse, Assistant US Attorney General John Horn announced that the government had obtained evidence showing that Astin had been overprescribing painkillers for Benoit and Nancy (and numerous others) long in advance of the killings. Horn said Astin had prescribed methadone and Oxycontin "well in excess of what is legitimate medical practice".

Latest on Hulk Hogan is that he will likely be held liable at least to a degree in the expected Nick Hogan/John Graziano Family civil lawsuit. The two keys are that Hulk is the registered owner of the yellow Supra that Nick crashed in August, and that he signed for Nick's driver's license. According to state law, any parent that signs "shall be jointly and severally liable with such minor for any damages caused by such negligence or willful misconduct." The third key is whether or not he provided the alcohol that was in Nick's system at the time of the crash. Hogan bought nearly $100 worth of beer that day for himself and several of Nick's friends, all of whom were over 21.

Nick was seen sipping from a plastic cup when everyone tried to get into a Tiki bar that afternoon, but nobody knows what he was drinking. There is no proof that Hogan gave him any alcohol, and in fact the story (granted, this is from the Hulk side) is that Nick was drinking while Hulk was in the shower, then left to go to dinner with Graziano and his friends, all without Hulk's knowledge. Of course,

Hulk also said that he was irate when he found that Nick left while he was in the shower, and the question is why would he be so irate if he didn't know that Nick had alcohol in his system? These things will all be determined in court. The other big question is how much liability will be placed by the court on Graziano for not wearing his seat belt. Graziano, at 22, was of age and was thus responsible for his own actions in that matter, and he was not buckled in. What percentage of the responsibility for his injuries rests with him will be taken into account when totaling damages. Obviously the Hogan side will claim that had he been buckled up he wouldn’t have suffered the cracked skull and head injuries that have left him likely needing nursing home care for life. Nick was buckled up and was able to walk away from the crash.

The Major Brothers are legitimately neither twins nor brothers. They both grew up in Glen Cove Long Island and were friends for life, breaking into wrestling under Mikey Whipreck. They're young, 21 or 22 years old, and look remarkably similar, hence the brothers gimmick.

Vince McMahon apparently didn't know they were really related until a few weeks ago and was upset about it. They were having a creative meeting and got into a discussion of relaunching them with some sort of new gimmick on Raw or Smackdown and the subject came up. Someone noted how impressive it was that they were pulling off this twin brother gimmick given the fact that they weren't even related. Vince was "stunned and frustrated" to learn this fact, saying (and think of how funny this is) that if two guys aren't really brothers they shouldn't be booked as such, because fans are too smart about things like that nowadays.

Aside from the obvious comedy of all the fake brothers in WWE history, including Kane and Undertaker, and the fact that Vince himself has a fake midget son running around on TV every week, this is a situation where VINCE didn't know, and if he didn't know I'm pretty sure the wrestling fans weren't going to figure it out (or, more importantly, care).

So anyway, he told them to talk to the Majors and come up with new names. Michael Hayes wanted them on Smackdown to be a Von Erich-style young babyface team to fill the void created when London and Kendrick went to Raw (and what a bust that has been). The new idea, with the Rated Rmy (much better name than Edgeheads I have to say), is to bring out more of their personalities. Hayes also seems them as very similar to a young Edge and Christian when they debuted in WWF in the 90s as protégés of Gangrel. The difference, of course, is that Edge and Christian had both worked quite a bit in Canada before breaking in, plus had trained extensively with Dory Funk Jr., who was probably the best trainer in America during that period.

The WWE tour of Mexico is actually a South of the Border Tour with February 9th in Guatemala City, February 10th in Guadalajara, February 12th in Quito, Ecuador, and February 14th Santiago, Chile. Because of international touring, they're also taping two weeks of TV on February 4th, 5th and 6th. On the 4th in Austin, TX they'll tape two weeks of Raw, on the 5th in Corpus Christi it's Smackdown and ECW, and then on the 6th in Houston it's another Smackdown and ECW.

According to the Record newspaper in Mexico, WWE is back in talks with Mistico. We can confirm that others have heard the rumor, but we don't know how serious it is. When the idea for the WWE Juniors division was first conceived, it was to be a vehicle for Mistico. Suffice to say, this was lost in translation. Talk heated up big-time earlier this year after (seriously) he became the first luchador in history to win Wrestler of the Year in the Observer.

He was brought in this past February to work a dark match in San Jose (which is, in fact, the hometown of Dave Meltzer, but the decision to do the match there was made from the Mexican side, not the WWE side) and did well. It was thought at the time that, pass or fail, this would great effect the wrestling world in 2007. Strangely, he did his tryout (which actually took place before the show with Dean Malenko), people were impressed, and then he just went back to Mexico and life went on as if nothing had happened. The issues are obviously that he has no experience working WWE style, the ring is very different than it is down in Mexico and would require him to change his style, he can't speak English, he's very small (well, about 160 pounds at 5-8 or so, and that may be with the aid of some protein shakes), etc. Nothing we haven't discussed a hundred times before about any outsider coming in.

WWE signed Apollo. He'd worked for IWA in Puerto Rico forever before jumping to WWC last year. He'd also spent some time in TNA over the years, working at one point under a mask as Leono, then later becoming part of LAX before he no-showed some events (including the Final Resolution PPV in 2006) and was replaced with Machete. He's had a number of different issues backstage, and he also just happens to be the guy who superkicked Scott Steiner in the neck during a tag match in Puerto Rico in June and nearly killed him. Steiner suffered a trachea injury and was hospitalized for weeks. This signing baffled me, but he's BIG so I shouldn't be surprised. He had a tryout in OVW last week and they liked what they saw.

Eve Torres, who won the Diva Search this year, is heading to OVW after Christmas.

WWE signed Silas Young to a developmental deal.

The new Raw DVD at Walmart has an insert listing all the PPV events for 2008, and both Cyber Sunday and One Night Stand are listed.

Duane Gill in an interview with Alex Marvez talked about meeting the real Goldberg for the first time in 2003. For years, he'd been playing Gillberg in WWE as a spoof on Bill. "He was pretty cool and actually took some pictures with me. But you could tell that night he hated my guts and everything that had to do with me." He said he'd always wanted a PPV match between himself and the real deal, though in hindsight he's very happy that Vince McMahon didn't book it, because he figured Bill would have "killed me

credit:F4W Newsletter

This really doesn't belong in "Dec," but there's nowhere else to post this, so...

Why in the world does everyone seem to treat HBK's return in Oct as some magnificent moment and some great surprise? When people talk about "things WWE has done right," HBK's return to confront Randy Orton is listed as one of the best things of 2007. I even believe the moment is captured on the "Best of Raw" DVD.

What the hell? I like HBK, but was I the only who wasn't at all blown away? I had taped the show, and was rewinding some when I saw HBK standing tall. I thought, "Oh, HBK's back. Cool." I wasn't like "HBK, YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! OH MY GOD THIS IS THE GREATEST MOMENT IN THE HISTORY OF OUR SPORT AND THEY DID SUCH A GOOD JOB OF CATCHING ME OFF GUARD!!!"

It's not like HBK was never returning, and it's not like he had been gone for too long. Ooh, a contracted wrestler returned who had only been off TV for a few months and was expected back at that time, anyway...Why does it seem like so many people got a hard-on for this moment?

Who are you refering to? JR did his job and sold it as a big deal, because in the context of the show itself, it was a big deal. They included it on the DVD because it was the last significant thing to occur before they pressed the DVD.

Carlito should have left while he had the opportunity. Wwe realized the needed him FOR THE MOMENT, as they noticed they had no Latin American talent other than Carly, Mysterio and horrid Super Crazy and stroked his ego into staying. Now they've went out and signed Apolo and it's said he's only going to have a short stay in FCW to make their developmentals seem legit but will be on one of the two main rosters in short order. Now they're back interested in Mistico and probably have a few other Mexican/PR wrestlers being scouted as well.

SD! desperately needs a face tag team - why not just send Kendrick and London back to SD!, it's not like they're being used to any degree of success on Raw. Only two face teams are Jesse and Festus and Moore and Yang, and while the latter can bump just as good as London and Kendrick, both are used up characters nobody cares about. Best chance for a flippy shit sell-your-ass-off babyface tag team from Developmentals would be pairing Matt Sydal with Johnny Jeter.

Edge and Christian weren't exactly brilliant promo artists when they broke through. Hell, I don't think either spoke for months.

Edge and Christian were unknown entities on the mic, Zach Ryder and Curt Hawkins have already shown us how brutal they are. Of course you're never going to get better without getting mic time, and playing off Edge should give them a certain safety net, with Edge able to rescue them if they are crashing and burning.

Edge and Christian showed they had "it" on the mic the first time they were given an honest show outside of the Brood.

Hayes also seems them as very similar to a young Edge and Christian when they debuted in WWF in the 90s as protégés of Gangrel.

Not. Even. Close.

Neither of them can cut a promo...at all.

Obviously you didn't watch Edge & Christian when they came up in 1998 because they were 100% terrible at doing promos. I remember one time very early on in the Brood, they did a backstage promo and had all of them talk. When Edge & Christian were talking, it was so terrible, it was one of those things that makes you embarassed to watch. They made Gangrel seem like The Rock. There's a reason why they were kept far away from the microphone for the first two years.

WWE Hall of Famer Bobby "The Brain" Heenan was forced to undergo a second jaw reconstruction surgery after the first surgery last week was unsuccessful. Heenan's doctors are hoping this second surgery will be a success and that the new bone will heal properly.

Heenan opted to have the reconstructive surgery on his jawbone after his original one was destroyed by the chemotherapy treatments for his throat cancer, which was diagnosed in 2001. The damaged jawbone contributed to the degeneration of Heenan's voice. The new jaw was crafted out of pieces from his shin and theigh bones.

He has been in a medically induced coma since the conclusion of the first surgery and is expected to be slowly brought out of it this week. He is expected to remain in the hospital for another two or three weeks.

Carlito should have left while he had the opportunity. Wwe realized the needed him FOR THE MOMENT, as they noticed they had no Latin American talent other than Carly, Mysterio and horrid Super Crazy and stroked his ego into staying. Now they've went out and signed Apolo and it's said he's only going to have a short stay in FCW to make their developmentals seem legit but will be on one of the two main rosters in short order. Now they're back interested in Mistico and probably have a few other Mexican/PR wrestlers being scouted as well.

SD! desperately needs a face tag team - why not just send Kendrick and London back to SD!, it's not like they're being used to any degree of success on Raw. Only two face teams are Jesse and Festus and Moore and Yang, and while the latter can bump just as good as London and Kendrick, both are used up characters nobody cares about. Best chance for a flippy shit sell-your-ass-off babyface tag team from Developmentals would be pairing Matt Sydal with Johnny Jeter.

The assholes probably shouldn't have released Cryme Tyme. They were the most over consistent tag team on the roster, and on Smackdown, they really could have had the chance to shine.

Who are you refering to? JR did his job and sold it as a big deal, because in the context of the show itself, it was a big deal. They included it on the DVD because it was the last significant thing to occur before they pressed the DVD.

Sorry I wasn't clearer. "Everyone" refers to members of the dreaded IWC. From the the reviews of the show as it aired to "best of 2007" lists, the moment has been mentioned, and I didn't get it then and I don't get it now.

I wonder if Vince's "we're too smart to fall for brothers" doctrine is why Edge and Christian suddenly became "tag team partners" in 2005.

It's funny, I didn't know The Majors weren't brothers either but like Bryan said, it's probably because I didn't care to look it up.

From today's Wrestling Observer update:

--Batista lost it last night in Albany, NY on a fan. The fan simply gave him a thumbs down and Batista lost it and got in the fans' face and dared the fan to hit him. Security came after the fan. Edge swore at the fan as well. However, when he was leaving the ring, Batista shook hands with the fan.

Apparently Batista realized the fan couldn't at least vacuum.

--Batista lost it last night in Albany, NY on a fan. The fan simply gave him a thumbs down and Batista lost it and got in the fans' face and dared the fan to hit him. Security came after the fan. Edge swore at the fan as well. However, when he was leaving the ring, Batista shook hands with the fan.

I guess this fan must have been a basketball.

The upcoming issue of Hustler magazine (March 2008) has a two page spread of nude photos of the late Nancy Benoit. Apparently these images are from when she was married to Jim Daus. Apparently she was touring doing bikini and wet t-shirt competitions in Florida when one of the hosts told her she should be in Penthouse. He set up a photo shoot for her and then videotaped the photo shoot. Nancy never submitted the photos and later had them destroyed but either never knew about or got the video which is now in the possession of Hustler.

It is the March 08 issue of Hustler magazine with a headline on the cover. I have a subscription so I got my issue in advance. I don't think it is on the newsstands yet as I live in LA and I haven't seen it there yet. Actually if you can get a hold of the Feb 2008 issue, there is an ad for it in the "Coming Next Month" section

Got that from Gerweck

That's low even by Hustler standards.

I mean, I always thought Larry was a decent guy (and he has held back on stuff before if he felt it was wrong to go ahead with it) but I don't know how he can justify this.

The only thing that could really make it worthwhile is if he gave a check to the families from the sales of the issue. I have no idea how well Hustler sells though.

Smackdown Diva Torrie Wilson posted the following on her MySpace:

My back problems don't seem to be getting any better and I am actually starting to feel worse believe it or not! It's gotten to the point that I can barely stand up in the morning. I've never really been hurt before so this is really REALLY annoying to me. I can't stand feeling frail and just want to go back to my active lifestyle. I am looking into another type of treatment right now that looks promising so let's hope this problem goes away soon. Please pray for me! I have actually been out of the action in the wrestling ring for quite some time and am really starting to miss it.

I guess this fan must have been a basketball.

I don't get it?