TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hunter's Torn Quad

WWE General Discussion - December 2007

Well, when he and Rikishi asked for more money per appearance (they weren't on contracts), TNA said "goodbye" to them at the same time.

They should find Mark Madden and put him on Smackdown.

Mark Madden's not hard to find.

Yeah, cuz he's fat.

(Hey, someone had to say it.)

Oh that's not what _I_ heard...they fired him because of the attention on steroids and he was clearly roided up.

That is correct.

--A decision on the replacement for JBL is expected to be finalized tomorrow by Vince McMahon. There is supposedly a very shot list of people that Kevin Dunn felt performed well in the recent tryouts. They brought in some people. Michael Hayes is under consideration. Hayes has announced on many different occasions over the years for different companies dating back to the mid-80s UWF wrestling where he once beat Jesse Ventura for best color commentator of the year. As lead writer of Smackdown, it may be tough to juggle both jobs so that's the major thing working against him.

- As previously posted, JBL will be returning to the ring as an active competitor on the RAW brand and Tazz will be taking his place alongside Michael Cole on SmackDown. There's a chance WWE will rotate the position on SmackDown previously held by JBL and try out different people until they find the right one.

No word yet on who will replace Tazz on ECW, if anyone, but with the Holidays coming up, WWE has some time to figure it all out. The next set of ECW and SmackDown tapings isn't until 12/30 in Richmond, VA.

- The general feeling within WWE on Mr. Kennedy is that his current program with Shawn Michaels is sort of a "sink or swim" situation for him and if he doesn't step up, he'll be reduced to working mid-card matches for the rest of the near future. Sources say Kennedy is listening to any and everyone for advice on how to improve his skills in the ring. Kennedy is said to have little confidence in his own skills as a performer, which could be the reason he has been trying new finishers and new things in the ring. Kennedy used to be close with Steve Austin, but Austin recently said in a media interview that Kennedy is listening to too many people.

Sources: PWInsider, F4Wonline.com

I think Hayes is the best candidate right now. However if he can't book and CC, I'd rather just keep him booking SD! which is the best booked show in wrestling. They need to try and get somebody who would have a style similar to JBL. Somebody with championship credibility who can put over the stars today as a result and tie in wrestling history on occasion. I know Matt Striker has been mentioned, however what I don't like about him is that he's never been anything other than a jobber in wwe and thus couldn't give any real rub to the in-ring talent by putting them over. JBL could because he's been to the "top of the mountain" and would know what it takes and if somebody had it. What made JBL great is that he'd shit on the wrestlers that didn't earn it yet. I remember he was relentless on MVP and Miz upon their debuts, however warmed to them over time and made what he said sound real. He had the right balance of praise and criticism - you can blow sunshine up everybodies ass or you don't have any credibility.

I'll say it again, JBL is 10x more valuable as a CC than he is as in-ring talent.

- Sources close to the situation say Shawn Michaels' knees are in the worst shape that they have ever been in. Whether or not this has something to do with the fact WWE isn't giving him a World Title run is unknown, but there has to be some concern within the company as to the longevity of his career and how much longer he has left in the business.

- Rey Mysterio jammed his knee again in the United States Title match with MVP at the Armageddon pay-per-view. Mysterio was telling people backstage later that night that he was fine though.

- Ashley Massaro posted another blog update yesterday asking for her fans to vote for her Playboy cover in the new poll on Playboy.com. If you missed it, Playboy's website is asking viewers to vote on their favorite magazine cover featuring a WWE Diva. Ashley reminds her fans there is "no limit to voting."

Sources: Wrestling Observer, F4Wonline.com

I say give HBK the title. I'll start watching again.

- Sources close to the situation say Shawn Michaels' knees are in the worst shape that they have ever been in. Whether or not this has something to do with the fact WWE isn't giving him a World Title run is unknown, but there has to be some concern within the company as to the longevity of his career and how much longer he has left in the business.

Well, he's been carrying Kennedy on his back the last few weeks, so that can't be easy.

I know Matt Striker has been mentioned, however what I don't like about him is that he's never been anything other than a jobber in wwe

That didn't stop Tazz from getting a job.

I think they should move Taz back to SmackDown! and either sign Cyrus or Joel Gertner to team with Joey on ECW. Both guys worked really well with Styles in ECW. Taht won't happen though, so how about Corino?

- The general feeling within WWE on Mr. Kennedy is that his current program with Shawn Michaels is sort of a "sink or swim" situation for him and if he doesn't step up, he'll be reduced to working mid-card matches for the rest of the near future.

Oh no! Not the whole rest of the near future!

I think they should move Taz back to SmackDown! and either sign Cyrus or Joel Gertner to team with Joey on ECW. Both guys worked really well with Styles in ECW. Taht won't happen though, so how about Corino?

The WWE will never ever be bringing back Cyrus/Don Callis, that guy had more heat than anyone ever. He was hated by damn near everyone including guys like Taker...

He was disliked so much, Matt Hardy told the story..Where he'd dress in his car. So one day..they broke toothpicks off in the locks of Cyrus car so he couldn't do that or get to his stuff.

McMahon needs to have a mental breakdown and think that he's a play by play guy again. Cole and McMahon calling SmackDown... that would be something.

Aww how I miss McMahon's pinfall soundbite.

1! 2! Aaaaaaand no.

He also used to fake laugh all the time, that was odd.

McMahon needs to have a mental breakdown and think that he's a play by play guy again. Cole and McMahon calling SmackDown... that would be something.

1! 2! Aaaaaaand no.

1! .... 2! ... HE GOT HIM! YES! ........... Oh wait, no he didn't.

WHATAMANEUVER!

Actually, I'd just settle for him showing up on TV in the three-piece powder blue suit, preferably with the yellow and red WWF crest on his pocket.

The WWE will never ever be bringing back Cyrus/Don Callis, that guy had more heat than anyone ever. He was hated by damn near everyone including guys like Taker...

He was disliked so much, Matt Hardy told the story..Where he'd dress in his car. So one day..they broke toothpicks off in the locks of Cyrus car so he couldn't do that or get to his stuff.

Anyone know why he had so much heat? Did he not shake Taker's hand on his first day in, if so then damn him, damn him straight to hell.

1! 2! Aaaaaaand no.

1! .... 2! ... HE GOT HIM! YES! ........... Oh wait, no he didn't.

WHATAMANEUVER!

Actually, I'd just settle for him showing up on TV in the three-piece powder blue suit, preferably with the yellow and red WWF crest on his pocket.

BAAAAAAAAAAACKBODY DROP

The mark in me missed Vince's play-by-play. I thought it was awesome when he did the PBP of the Rock/Mankind empty arena match because he called it without bias for the most part.

Gorilla would routinely not correctly call moves...but you know what? It was Gorilla Monsoon, so who gives a fuck! Gorilla/Jesse Ventura and Gorilla/Bobby Heenan are probably my favorite announcing teams of all time.

Oh god, how can anyone miss Vince's announcing? He was such utter, utter complete shit. He was constantly over the top, didn't know any of the moves at all, had his awful phony laugh, did the same cliches like 1-2 he got him..oh wait, and so on. Note that as a show Raw never really became what it could be until he got out of the booth.

Anyone know why he had so much heat? Did he not shake Taker's hand on his first day in, if so then damn him, damn him straight to hell.

Doing things like dressing in his car didn't help, which apparently he was doing from the start. I've seen the Matt Hardy interview where he talks about this, and I got the impression that Callis just carried himself completely wrong in terms of ticking people off. It's pretty funny because Bradshaw was the one that came up to Hardy, who was new at the time, and told him about the toothpick thing, seeing what Matt and Jeff would do about it.

Gorilla would routinely not correctly call moves...but you know what? It was Gorilla Monsoon, so who gives a fuck! Gorilla/Jesse Ventura and Gorilla/Bobby Heenan are probably my favorite announcing teams of all time.

Exactly...

In the long run, does it really matter if you call all the moves correctly? It's not radio where the people can't see what's happening. As long as the announcers are calling what needs to be called - important points of the match, storyline aspects, required heat, etc. - I'm fine.

that's the only time I'll give Mike Tenay credit for anything as an announcer. He was a good third-guy who would occassionally tell us facts about a superstar or a particualr move used while Schiavonne told the story and Heenan did whatever Heenan did.

Vince made a surprise phone-in to the Opie and Anthony show, on the XM side. Basically since the limo explosion Anthony has been doing an 'Angry Vince' impression, and noticed during the 15th anniversary that Vince was doing Anthony's impression of Angry Vince. So they talked about that, the XFL, and how they never really got fired from the boss, so Vince gave them a 'You're Fired!' It ended with a plug for Monday's Tribute to the Troops.

Doing things like dressing in his car didn't help, which apparently he was doing from the start. I've seen the Matt Hardy interview where he talks about this, and I got the impression that Callis just carried himself completely wrong in terms of ticking people off. It's pretty funny because Bradshaw was the one that came up to Hardy, who was new at the time, and told him about the toothpick thing, seeing what Matt and Jeff would do about it.

The Hardys were not new at all in 1997. By that point, they had been well-known jobbers in the WWF for three years.