TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

NFL Offseason Thread

Maybe the Bears should call Drew Bledsoe and let him start with Rex as the back-up. That seems to have worked. When you want to develop a quarterback, let him watch Drew try to fit the ball into holes that don't exist anymore and then just tell him, "Ok, don't do that!"

"Develop a quarterback"?!? He's been on the Bears for FIVE YEARS!

Then maybe one of the big problems the Bears have is they can't develop a quarterback worth a damn. Who was the last really good or hell even decent Bears quarterback? McMahon?

I'm not saying Rex has the potential to be even decent but it seems like the Bears organization can't develop quarterbacks worth a damn.

Guest Michael Myers Resplendent

Sid Luckman was the last great Bears quarterback. Most of his records still stand, I think. The Bears organization, historically, has always emphasized great running backs and linebackers over quarterbacks. That's fine, because our best at those positions are the greatest the sport has seen, but the problem is that they've sustained this philosophy into a modern NFL where you can't win championships that way, and they've done that because adapting (read: paying for high-priced offensive talent) is more expensive than the Bears would like it to be, so their p.r. machine keeps pushing that we're not going to build a team around a star quarterback because that's bad business. (I think Angelo said the other day that he's not going to overpay for anyone at any position.) They've spent so much time and energy convincing us that OLD-TIME SMASHMOUTH FOOTBALL is the one true way that it was like pulling teeth getting anyone to accept Lovie's Cover 2 because it was a defensive scheme that wasn't predicated on trying to murder the offense. Even I said up there that we could try to get by with Orton, but even I don't believe it in my heart.

And yet even then, I'd rather watch the Bears win a championship by doing it their way, by being in total contrast to what the NFL wants their league to be, even though I know this is the exact organizational philosophy that obliterated the Wirtz/Pulford Blackhawks. I'm not the only one who thinks this way either. We're the dumbest fans in America.

You can watch the combine live here.

The RB's are running their 40's right now.

EDIT: And McFadden just ran a 4.27...DAMN!!!

You can watch the combine live here.

The RB's are running their 40's right now.

EDIT: And McFadden just ran a 4.27...DAMN!!!

NFL Network has went out of their way to talk about how amazing it was. Turns out he was actually 4.33 and Chris Johnson was a 4.24.

Course Johnson got absolutely zero credit for the time from anyone.

x1hu9pj5eu9hhlj4em0p3j2pe.gif

Upgrade? I haven't decided yet. At first I thought "yeah, good tune-up," but now I'm not sure.

Troy Williamson was traded to Jacksonville (I think it was for a 2nd round pick).

Also the Broncos and Lions are talking a trade that involves Shaun Rogers. Some rumors have the Jets being in the talks as well and the proposed three way trade, if the Jets are in the talks has Dominique Foxworth and a second rounder going to Denver, Dewayne Robertson and a 5th going to Denver and Shaun Rogers going to New York. Even if the Jets aren't involved, Rogers is getting traded. Most likely to Denver.

Troy Williamson was traded to Jacksonville (I think it was for a 2nd round pick).

Also the Broncos and Lions are talking a trade that involves Shaun Rogers. Some rumors have the Jets being in the talks as well and the proposed three way trade, if the Jets are in the talks has Dominique Foxworth and a second rounder going to Denver, Dewayne Robertson and a 5th going to Denver and Shaun Rogers going to New York. Even if the Jets aren't involved, Rogers is getting traded. Most likely to Denver.

The ESPN ticker said the Vikings are getting a 6th-round pick.

As far as Rogers goes, the latest I heard was that the rumors of him going to Denver were premature. The Lions are going to negotiate 'til Friday with several teams. They're looking for at least a 2nd or a 3rd, otherwise, they're keeping him (unless they get a deal at or near the draft).

Also, Kyle Orton got a 1-year extension with the Bears.

The ESPN ticker said the Vikings are getting a 6th-round pick.

The article I read called it a sixth round pick as well. That whole Moss trade sure worked out nicely for the Vikings, didn't it?

Also, Kyle Orton got a 1-year extension with the Bears.

WOOOOOO ORTMAN

I'm guessing the Bears draft a quarterback and launch Brian Griese. Lovie hates that guy.

Guest LME

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2364444

SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- The San Francisco 49ers traded leading receiver Brandon Lloyd to Washington on Saturday for the Redskins' third-round pick this year and their fourth-round selection in 2007.

Lloyd was a restricted free agent for the 49ers, who drafted him in the third round three years ago. He was San Francisco's top receiver last season, catching 48 passes for 733 yards and five touchdowns for the NFL's worst offense, but alienated teammates and clashed with Mike Nolan's new coaching staff.

Though Lloyd made countless eye-popping catches during his three years with San Francisco, he also made a series of memorable drops and mistakes while feuding with the media at times. Lloyd also drew criticism from hard-nosed teammates such as Fred Beasley and Kevan Barlow for his flashy jewelry and his aspirations to become a rapper in his spare time.

Lloyd caught 105 passes for 1,510 yards and 13 touchdowns in his three seasons with San Francisco.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?sectio...&id=3266047

ASHBURN, Va. -- Wide receiver Brandon Lloyd was released by the Washington Redskins, ending his disappointing stay with the team.

He caught only 25 passes with no touchdowns in two seasons with the Redskins. His totals were two catches for 14 yards last season, when he broke his collarbone in November.

Lloyd already had fallen out of favor with the team because of his work ethic and lack of productivity.

The Redskins traded two draft picks to the San Francisco 49ers to acquire Lloyd before the 2006 season. They then signed him to a long-term contract that included $10 million in guaranteed money.

doh.gif

Man, that sucked. I don't believe I need to elaborate on that point. Sucked.

I think the Niners should take him back. He seemed to actually love San Fran and after a few years of failure, he has to be much more humble I would think. And the Niners are in desperate need of receivers. He's not the #1 guy but he would be a nice add back to the team I would think.

Also, I think the Patriots would be beyond CRAZY to want Talib. Yeah, he's got the height but that guy is a huge raw project. He doesn't seem to grasp coverages, he seems like he takes downs off (real great for a CORNER in the AFC) and his speed only seems to kick in if he picks off the ball. Watching him at the combine and some game clips of him elsewhere, he officially is one of those guys that makes me worried that he's Samuel without the instinct.

The collective bargaining agreement, approved 30-2 two years ago is up for re-examination by owners; 24 of 32 votes would be needed to keep it in place before the November deadline.

Recently, even such large-market owners as Denver’s Pat Bowlen and New England’s Robert Kraft have suggested the CBA is bad for the league. Jerry Jones, Cowboys owner and general manager, told The Dallas Morning News this week that he thinks owners will opt out of the deal, which would mean 2009 would not have a salary cap and lead to the likelihood of small market-big market disparity similar to Major League Baseball.

I wonder who the New York Yankees of the NFL will be without a salary cap? Dallas? New England?

I wonder how high the top total team salary could go? 500 million?

Guest Vitamin X
thinks owners will opt out of the deal, which would mean 2009 would not have a salary cap and lead to the likelihood of small market-big market disparity similar to Major League Baseball.

Aw, FUCK.

I think the general consensus on Lloyd as a Redskins was that he was a lazy player that didn't want to have to earn his spot on the WR corps. In San Francisco he was the #1 by default cause everyone else sucked. As Redskins he was competing against Moss and Randal El for catches, which means he had to work and prove himself more in training camp and practice, and he didn't like it. Now me personally, I think Lloyd kind of got shafted a little bit and felt he was very capable as a #2. However I am not part of the coaching staff, and hey his numbers as part of the Redskins speak for themselves, especially that the Skins could sign waiver wire guys that seemed to immediately show the ability to come in and be effective, yet Lloyd never found his groove. Lloyd is the type of WR that could dissapear from the league or have a comeback year in 2007. It is up to him.

Guest Vitamin X

After that INT on the Packers' last offensive possession of the 2007 postseason, fuck it. Go ahead and retire. I don't want Rodgers' contract expiring and him leaving to another team (it only runs through the 2009 season, I believe) as a free agent because Favre wanted to stick around to choke in the playoffs for another season. Harsh as it may seem, the team is going to have a hard time contending for years to come if Favre sticks around as the lone veteran AGAIN, and then leaves after he deems it fit to do so.

Corey Williams may have been traded to Cleveland (didn't he get franchised though?), and Vilma could get traded to the Saints. The source is some insider Redskins insider, so we'll see if they hold up.

The Bucs have $44 million in cap room heading into free agency. Unfortunately, this crop of free agents is weak in most of the areas where we need help.