TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Tzar Lysergic

NFC Championship: Packers vs. Giants

There is no way The Giants are going to Lambau and lose

What? Didn't the Packers beat Giants pretty easily in New York, when the Packers' offense was not quite as good as now?

The Giants D was nowhere where it is now in that game. Also, the score of that game doesn't really do it justice. The Giants were winning at the start of the 4th quarter, and it kind of just went down hill after the Giants fumbled the kickoff return right after the Packers scored a TD. In all honestly, that game means shit. The Packers didn't have Grant yet, the Giants didn't understand Spags system, Bradshaw wasn't being used yet, Steve Smith was injured, no Osi ect ...

Guest Warriorfan
There is no way The Giants are going to Lambau and lose

What? Didn't the Packers beat Giants pretty easily in New York, when the Packers' offense was not quite as good as now?

The Giants defense is much more potent than it was in WK 2 and the same could be said for their offensive line. If The Giants defense can sack and pressure Romo they certaintly can do the same to Favre. I don't think the game is going to be high scoring and in a grind it out scenario I see The Giants winning in a replay of tonight' s game.

Well, as far as the Packers I thought they would win the division this year, figuring the Bears would fall off (but still get the wild card). I suppose I was basing this off of GB's excellent 4-0 finish to last season, but I've liked the Packers for years and was hoping they would do well anyway. Probably my favorite NFC team.

In the playoff thread I joked that since Favre can't beat Dallas he needed someone to do it for him (Carolina did it in 1996) and the Giants did that today. I'm bewildered as to why anyone would think either San Diego or New York has a hope in hell though. The Chargers staggered out of Indy with a banged up Rivers, Tomlinson, Gates. The Giants have injuries to Madison and Burress. These teams have both maxed out what they can do. As much as it delighted me to see Tony Romo blow it, the Giants are only a 10-6 team with a +22 differential for the season. If they somehow beat GB they'd go on the immediate short list of Worst Ever Super Bowl Teams.

This isn't saying the Giants won't be ready for a major run next year, but this is about as far as this group can go.

Green Bay 38, New York Giants 21.

Well, as far as the Packers I thought they would win the division this year, figuring the Bears would fall off (but still get the wild card). I suppose I was basing this off of GB's excellent 4-0 finish to last season, but I've liked the Packers for years and was hoping they would do well anyway. Probably my favorite NFC team.

In the playoff thread I joked that since Favre can't beat Dallas he needed someone to do it for him (Carolina did it in 1996) and the Giants did that today. I'm bewildered as to why anyone would think either San Diego or New York has a hope in hell though. The Chargers staggered out of Indy with a banged up Rivers, Tomlinson, Gates. The Giants have injuries to Madison and Burress. These teams have both maxed out what they can do. As much as it delighted me to see Tony Romo blow it, the Giants are only a 10-6 team with a +22 differential for the season. If they somehow beat GB they'd go on the immediate short list of Worst Ever Super Bowl Teams.

This isn't saying the Giants won't be ready for a major run next year, but this is about as far as this group can go.

Madison didn't play today and Plax has been injured all season so those injuries aren't really that significant since they had that same situation going into today's game which they won against a team that dominated them twice before. The Ross injury is the worst thing that happened today. The weather's likely to suck which is the main reason I don't see the Giants winning, but unlike the Seahawks they CAN run the ball. If it's a smashmouth, sloppy field type of game that should pay dividends as they finally have a legit two back system and Eli isn't playing like the old Eli. If anything I think Favre is more likely to shit the bed than Eli is because he's that close to making it back to the big game. I could EASILY see him throwing 2 or more picks by trying to do too much.

Madison didn't play today and Plax has been injured all season so those injuries aren't really that significant since they had that same situation going into today's game which they won against a team that dominated them twice before. The Ross injury is the worst thing that happened today. The weather's likely to suck which is the main reason I don't see the Giants winning, but unlike the Seahawks they CAN run the ball. If it's a smashmouth, sloppy field type of game that should pay dividends as they finally have a legit two back system and Eli isn't playing like the old Eli. If anything I think Favre is more likely to shit the bed than Eli is because he's that close to making it back to the big game. I could EASILY see him throwing 2 or more picks by trying to do too much.

Isn't that what everyone thought when the Pack went down 14 against Seattle though? That Favre would gunsling them out of it? He showed veteran leadership and got them back into the game with some heady play. I'll grant that if it's sloppy that ups the Giant's chances, but I don't see Favre going apeshit crazy and tossing tons of picks unless the Giants build a BIG BIG lead.

If anything, I see a possible "magic comeback to get the Pack to the Superbowl" situation playing out with the Giants giving Brett a chance to win it in the end off an Eli mistake.

I know it was an upset and all, but there were lots of warning signs with Dallas in the last month so the Giants winning is not that surprising. Considering they barely won, I don't give them much chance against a Green Bay team that has looked dominant lately outside of the Bears fiasco. The Giants certainly have a better chance than San Deigo of winning this week, but it still isn't a good chance. Green Bay just has too many weapons for them to deal with on both sides of the ball.

I would find it amusing if Green Bay gets back to the Super Bowl by beating the team that absolutely humiliated the Vikings in Minnesota's last NFC Championship appearance.

My main concern about this game is that the Giants defense matches up horribly against the Packers offense.

Green Bay's seemingly endless array of crossing routes and quick hitters will nullify the Giants blitz packages.

Add the fact that the Giants LB's are not good cover men and it makes things even tougher for them in the middle of the field.

I think the Giants will score some points but I don't know how they are going to stop them.

Either way this has been a *much* better season than I thought and things kind of look bright for the future.

Good first year for Jerry Reese

Giants fans...I wouldn't really count on that defense too much.

See, the Seahawks went into the Packers game with a pretty good defense too. Patrick Kerney was one of the leading sackers in the NFC. The defense raped the Redskins, and looked to be peaking at "exactly the right time" as the saying goes.

And like...the Packers? They humbled the Seahawks. In every possible way. They managed to get pressure on Farve a few times, and he STILL made throws, even when he was stumbling around the field.

So, I'm not saying the Giants cannot win...but, I wouldn't count on them getting "pressure" on Farve or making him make bad throws after that game. That man is going to throw that ball even if you hit him.

Guest Vitamin X

Not to mention that no one here is giving the DEFENSE any credit. Especially if the weather is bad, Green Bay is better equipped (excellent run-stuffers, could've/should've-been-Pro Bowl running back) to handle the bad weather.

I actually would look forward to either AFC opponent, although I'd just really love to see them play San Diego. Their regular season game was great. If Green Bay plays the Patriots and win? Upset of the century, Favre gets to retire on top, Green Bay beats all the odds, yadda, yadda, yadda. If they lose? Well, they're just kinda happy to be there anyways, and they weren't "favored" to win or anything. That game will depend almost entirely on how well Bigby, Collins, and Poppinga can hold up. But in that case, Favre surely returns next year (and I'm guessing the streak HAS to end next year) and they get a game in Seattle so I get to see him play at least once before he's done. Happy either way. IF they lose to New York, it would definitely be a disappointment.

I also have a feeling the Bears might make it back to the top of the division next year, but either way, the NFC North is going to be very, very tough- if it wasn't for Detroit looking like the same old team yet again. Midseason this year though, the division looked ROUGH. Minnesota and Detroit both on a winning streak, one with a hell of a rookie running back, and the other with a potent offense, and then Chicago putting together something resembling a playoff run.

Also, funny stat: The Patriots have played a team from all four divisions in Super Bowl. NFC East (Eagles, XXXIX), NFC South (Panthers, XXXVIII), NFC West (XXXVI), and then of course, the only division that has beat them in the big game are the teams from the NFC North (Bears, XX and Packers, XXXI). Could be a hell of a game either way.

The best thing about the Packers' run this year is that we haven't had to hear the endless "Is this Favre's last year?" talk like we did the past couple seasons.

Personally, I figured they had an outside shot at the playoffs, but figured they'd end up with about 10 or 11 wins at most.

I don't see how anyone can pick the Giants winning at Lambeau, though.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Green Bay being good totally shocked me, I'll admit. I'm not sure I even picked them to go above .500, preseason, but then again I was also one of those San Francisco retards.

Well, last year their 8-8 record shocked me, so I figured their young guys would improve enough to get them a couple more wins. I mean, last season I had them figured to win about four games.

It's been a running joke between my friends and I all season that during Giants games I talk about how composed and confident Eli is. How he is the perfect quarterback and he always knows what he's doing on the field... sleeps in the film room, loves playing football more than life, etc. You know, a bunch of things that are the opposite of true.

Despite all that, I secretly love Eli as the QB of my team. His aw shucks persona and anti-leader mentality has won me over somehow. I bet that deep down, alot of Giants fans feel the same way I do but they would never admit it.

I'm really, really enjoying seeing him shut up a bunch of people by playing well in the post-season. No INTs yet and at this stage in his career he has a better playoff pedigree than Peyton did (remember there was a time when he was considered a choker, as well).

No matter what happens next week, this postseason has been great to watch. I never expected the Giants to get this far, but I highly doubt next week will be a slaughter. I think they will play the Pack tough, maybe even win.

The Packers are the only NFC team that looked dominant on Sunday. The Cowboys might have looked more dominant then them during the season, but in the playoffs the Packers right now look head and shoulders above the rest. They stumbled for a second against Seattle with a couple of costly turnovers, but after that they pretty much silenced any hope Seattle had, pretty fast.

The Giants get lots of credit for beating The Cowboys in Dallas, but winning on the road in Lambeau field is an entirely different level.

My prediction is that Green Bay will score first and and the Giants will be playing catch-up for the next two and a half quarters, doing a good job to where they are never "out of the game" but they can't do more then get close, and then once desperation hits them mid-way through the fourth quarter, Green Bay's defense will do what the Dallas defense couldn't, force a turnover, and it will lead to Green Bay finally getting the score that puts the game away.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

This game is going to come down to New York's pass rush. They were on Romo's ass in the fourth quarter; to have the best chance at Lambeau, they have to do that all game.

Any early weather reports? That is going to be extremely important.

It looks like the high will be 10-15 degrees. The game will probably end up being played in the single-digits, or very close. Possible snow.

All i know for sure is that it will be very, very cold on Sunday.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Let's go WIND CHILL! It's been a great season for inclement weather in football games, and I hope this one isn't any different. Northern Wisconsin in the middle of fuckin' January is as shitty as it can possibly get, aside from maybe Chicago or Buffalo the same time of year.

I haven't decided on who I'm picking to win, yet. This game is going to be tougher than everyone thinks by the end of the week, watch.

I was incredibly impressed with what the Giants did in terms of pass rush in the second half. Either they made some fantastic adjustments, or they were coming with that much power and precision the whole time and the wear only showed on Dallas' big boys come the third quarter. I don't think Strahan or Umeniyora got a sack, but they were all over Romo 2 out of 3 plays. Justin Tuck had a really good game too. The change between 1st half Romo and 2nd half Romo--throwing off his back foot, bombing floppy passes, panicky intentional grounding--was one of the most noticeable in-game alterations I've seen all year.

Judging by how the Packers offensive line played Saturday--I don't think Kerney's neon green gloves touched Favre once--the NFC championship should be a nice collision of strength vs. strength on the lines. I'm actually eager for this one.

Question to Packer fans, is Favre only being sacked 18 times this year a matter of the Packers OL being THAT good, or is it a combination of a strong OL and an elusive Favre?

It's a combination of both. Favre, somehow, escaped at least 10 seemingly-for-sure sacks over the season. That 18 might have actually been even smaller had it not been for a few injuries on the o-line over the season.

Here in southwestern Wisconsin, there are forecasts of subzero temperatures later this week. If could be even colder in Green Bay.

Guest Cock Ring Warehouse
Green Bay's huge success throughout the season has completely overshadowed the fact that practically nobody thought they would even make the playoffs.

It's true. Nobody saw it coming. Even the Packers fans that I surveyed only said anywhere from 6 to 9 wins. They deserve a lot of credit for this season.

The Patriots also don't play in Boston.

Edit: Though the Giants don't play in New York. But they are way closer.

They're Boston and New York teams, resp., though. The Patriots are a Boston team playing out in fucking nowhere because you can't build an NFL-sized stadium in Boston proper. Same deal with the Giants and Jets, though I wish the Jets would figure out some way to go back to Long Island. IIRC, doesn't Long Island have the Jets fans and North Jersey the Giants fans? Anyway, it seems like we have the "the Patriots aren't a Boston team" argument once every 18 months. It's the same as the Pistons out in Auburn Hills, or when the Cavaliers used to play in some empty field equidistant from Cleveland and Akron.

By the way, if the weather in Green Bay is as miserable as predicted, you gotta give this one to the Packers. Yeah, there are goofy-ass wind patterns in Giants Stadium. Big deal. This is gonna be just plain hostile.

The Patriots also don't play in Boston.

Edit: Though the Giants don't play in New York. But they are way closer.

Same deal with the Giants and Jets, though I wish the Jets would figure out some way to go back to Long Island. IIRC, does Long Island have the Jets fans and North Jersey the Giants fans?

For the most part, yeah.

Green Bay's huge success throughout the season has completely overshadowed the fact that practically nobody thought they would even make the playoffs.

It's true. Nobody saw it coming. Even the Packers fans that I surveyed only said anywhere from 6 to 9 wins. They deserve a lot of credit for this season.

I went back and checked the offseason thread. A few posters picked them to make the playoffs, including myself. I even cited them as a team I really liked that no one was talking about, but that was mostly because I believed in their good defense and strong receiving corps. That being said, I didn't see an NFC championship appearance in their future.

I meant outside the board, I didn't even see much support from the Milwaukee contingent.

Also, I didn't predict that Lovie Smith would turn out to be a tyrannical lying imbecile, either, though the fact that he's from Texas should've been a hint.

I don't know if I had the Packers in the Super Bowl or anything, but I figured they would win the division. 1. They finished strong last year. 2. Super Bowl losers like the Bears tend to fall off big time the next year.

I thought the Saints might go to the Super Bowl actually, so that pick was pretty far off.

The difference though between the Cowboys offense and the Packers offense is that Tony Romo relies on his offensive line to pass block for long enough for him to sit back in the pocket and wait for plays downfield to develop. The Cowboys offense lives and dies off of the big plays. Whether he is rolling out or sitting in the pocket, Romo is a different QB if he doesn't have lots of time.

The Packers however, or from what little I have seen have a lot of quick 3-step drops in their offense, a lot of slant passes, that nullify these overloaded blitz packages.

So in other words, when you send the house at Romo, as long as you get there before Owens is 40 yards downfield then you are ok. If you send the house at Favre, you better get to him before a WR can run a 5 yard slant.......

Completely different Offenses.

This isn't to say the Giants defense is going to suck on Sunday, but they will definately have to employ a different strategy, and hope that the D-line alone can generate a pass rush without the help of two linebackers.