TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cowboy Battlenuts

Standup anyone?

I wasn't sure where to make a thread for this, I was thinking entertainment but I'm not sure it fits.

Anyone else do stand up or take an interest or just wanna be lame and talk about your favorite stand ups? I'm an aspiring stand up wondering if I'm part of a dying breed.

I've done standup comedy twice, though not in almost four years.

The first time went pretty well. I didn't write anything down, just had four bullet points I wanted to do. I did it with a friend, and we alternated. I did traditional material, and he did one-liners. I was funny, he was not. My signature bit was attacking John Walsh. People were horrified, but liked it. I'm still stung why my bit on 9/11 didn't work.

The second time I did it with no voice in front of a crowd that I knew wouldn't take to my material, so I bombed. I haven't done it since, and it's just because I didn't have the level of commitment I think needed to do it, and I didn't want to just go up and wing it everytime

I watched Katt Williams new stand up. that guy is hilarious, but he is still using some jokes from like 2004. Its time for a show of completely new material Katt.

http://www.rooftopcomedy.com/

This is a great site that has clips of open-mic nights from a few different clubs across the country.

Oh, and my stuff is on there too...check under my name(Patrick Brandmeyer). Only been doing it for a year and a half...I've got a long way to go.

http://www.rooftopcomedy.com/watch/Patrick...eyerSTL20071127

Not bad dude, but the crowd ate you alive.

If you want some constructive criticism, read but if not, ignore.

I think the main thing you need to work on is stage presence. If you were more confident and don't sway around, I would think you'd get a better reception to your jokes. Plus, just rail on the audience if they don't like you. I'm sure that will entertain someone.

Your timing needs a lot of work. Slow down a little and adapt your vocal mannerisms from time to time. Your confidence needs to be a lot better as well. I'm sure some of these jokes could be funny if your delivery was better. Having said that, you may want to rewrite the script as well "when people think of VD" is clearly unfunny to your audience in each clip.

Basically, you really need to work on the way you present your jokes. Drink a shitload of Red Bull beforehand next time. Just be more enthusiastic generally, the crowd can smell your fear.

I do occasional open mics, and would like to get more into it, although right now I have more pressing concerns. As soon as I have more free time, I'll be writing more material and looking to expand.

I don't have any clips, and wouldn't show them if I did, but my material is mostly based around personal anecdotes and how I hate everything. A lot of it is stories I've told here. The one about me fucking the 13 year old is usually the closer, people seem to like that.

My favorite comics/influences: Doug Stanhope, Louis CK, Jim Norton, David Cross.

This is a great site that has clips of open-mic nights from a few different clubs across the country.

Oh, and my stuff is on there too...check under my name(Patrick Brandmeyer). Only been doing it for a year and a half...I've got a long way to go.

There are some funny jokes in there... the one about Jesus,and "He hits harder than I do" is funny. You gotta stop swaying though. You gotta be more comfortable up there, too. As far as nervous energy goes, Mitch Hedberg was a fluke. Remember, you're a story teller, ultimately, so try and thread your jokes together. Also, avoid cliches, like "So, local sports team" or the "premature e___ation" stuff. I would disagree with the "drink 100 redbulls" advice, I think your delivery could work slow if your timing was better tuned. Anyway, just watch a ton of standup, it'll come.

Guest Tzar Lysergic
I do occasional open mics, and would like to get more into it, although right now I have more pressing concerns. As soon as I have more free time, I'll be writing more material and looking to expand.

I don't have any clips, and wouldn't show them if I did, but my material is mostly based around personal anecdotes and how I hate everything. A lot of it is stories I've told here. The one about me fucking the 13 year old is usually the closer, people seem to like that.

My favorite comics/influences: Doug Stanhope, Louis CK, Jim Norton, David Cross.

Combine it with your exploration of asian folk music.

Just now finding the feedback...yeah...

I have another clip on there which wasn't really one of my better efforts...I went on after Auggie Smith and that's a tough act to follow.

Been doing open-mics and comedy shows all over the area to gain the experience. I agree that I'm very fidgety on stage and need to work on my overall confidence. I've thought about sitting down on the stool on stage...kinda defeats the purpose of STANDUP comedy, but at least the audience won't have motion sickness by the end of the set.

I'm trying to do more writing these days after being sidetracked by Real Life stuff for a little while. I'm working on the VD joke and trying to expand it a bit(tis the season?).

Slowing down my delivery would probably help a lot...it's funny because I notice it more when other comedians talk too fast. I'm making an effort to attempt longer sets...your traditional open-mic set is around five minutes(which is a LOT longer than it seems when you're up there!). Lately, I've done a few longer sets...closer to ten minutes.

Sorry it took me so long to get back to this but I do appreciate the feedback...

I watched Katt Williams new stand up. that guy is hilarious, but he is still using some jokes from like 2004. Its time for a show of completely new material Katt.

DL Hughley has that same problem...I've seen him do his Kings of Comedy routine on 3 different shows since then.

There are actually quite a few open-mic and comedy options in the St. Louis metro area...

Sunday: Fairview Heights(IL) Funny Bone

Tuesday: Westport Funny Bone

Wednesday: Comedy Forum in St. Peters

Thursday: Blue Agave bar in Belleville(IL)

Friday: "Cutthroat Comedy Show" at Jack's Ironhorse Bar & Grill in Bridgeton

...just to name a few. I try to frequent as many as possible to gain experience...

I think the main thing you need to work on is stage presence. If you were more confident and don't sway around, I would think you'd get a better reception to your jokes. Plus, just rail on the audience if they don't like you. I'm sure that will entertain someone.

http://www.rooftopcomedy.com/watch/Patrick...yer_STL20071009

This one's better. And ha, a Chris Benoit joke.

we have no comedy clubs here, Id have to go to Baltimore.

My favorite comedian is of course Andy Kaufman but he really didn't do standup per se. He would do really bad standup in his foreign man character though but it was a joke.

My favorite standup guy is/was Mitch Hedberg.

"My friend asked me if I wanted a frozen banana, I said 'no' but I want a regular banana later, so 'yeah'."

http://www.rooftopcomedy.com/watch/Patrick...yer_STL20071009

This one's better. And ha, a Chris Benoit joke.

I have permission from two local indy wrestlers who think the joke is funny. :-D Not even the only Benoit-related joke I have, either. I think that one makes fun of the wrestling fan mentality more than the situation itself.

Do improv. Harder than hell.

Do you do improv? Thats my shit. Its why I moved to LA...

No, but I've heard and talked to a few comedians and they said improv is harder than hell, and harder to reach for success.

Yuk Yuk's across Canada is having a contest to find the best comedian and its a $25,000 reward.

Fuck man, I love Stanhope, Eddie Griffin, Katt, Hedberg, old school Carlin, Hicks, Pryor, and Redd Fox

I did a few open mic nights before at the Laugh Factory. I usually have a few great jokes, but most of the time I bomb.

Either roaring laughter or silence with me

Picked up a new toy recently...a pocket digital voice recorder. Good for remembering joke ideas on the fly and also recording one's sets. Managed to record my last two stage appearances and it worked pretty well:

Courtesy of Megaupload...just type in the three-letter verification code and hit the download button.

2/19 at Westport Funny Bone:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=NI1222LH

2/24 at Fairview Funny Bone:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=POZ7Y5Y8

I've done it in the past and my friends keep on trying to convince me to do it again. I just hate trying to come up with material.

Whats the deal with people posting in the wrestling folders?

Never done stand-up, but I always feel that my favorite jokes are ones that bomb, so it'd be horrible for me to even try. Just gonna stick to playing guitar.

But my favorite stand-up comedians are Jim Norton (specifically his self-depricating and his more aggressive side, because when he tries to do Britney jokes it's pretty lame), Brian Posehn (total metal nerd, and his jokes about trying to quit pot are great), Eddie Izzard (if you have even the slightest amount of knowledge of World History, he's fucking hilarious), and the great George Carlin.

I love Eddie Izzard too. He's probably at or around overall favorite with David Cross. Eddie's not much of influence on my own style though, except if I had an hour to work with, I'd jump all around in subject and chase random thoughts like he does.

You know, I could talk for hours about stand up. Should keep this thread going.

Here's an interesting one: ever seen Steve-O do stand up? He's actually alright. I enjoy his delivery.

I'm going to see Paul Mooney live in April. He's a legend, and he's almost 70. Gotta see him before he croaks.