TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

WWE General Discussion - February 2008

Floyd Mayweather had two of the biggest PPV drawing fights last year alone in 2007... Just because you've never heard of him, doesn't mean he doesnt get mainstream coverage. His 24/7 series with De La Hoya and Hatton last year were very popular.

But the fact that I haven't heard of him and I have heard of most other popular boxers is a pretty good indication that he doesn't have the kind of wide-spread appeal needed to pop a big buyrate on a WWE ppv (not boxing).

Mayweather isn't the type of boxer who appeals to the older crowd, but to the 18-25 crowd. He's young, charismatic, and appeals to the "hip hop" type crowd.

I guess because you never heard of him, means he has no wide-spread appeal right? :bonk: :bonk:

That's not what I'm saying, but I really don't think he has wide-spread mainstream fame. And I'm in the 18-25 demographic... The point I was trying to make is that he isn't on the same level of fame as Mike Tyson. Tyson is/was a household name with most people who've never even seen a boxing match. I doubt the same can be said about Mayweather, at this point anyway.

Well thats some dumbass logic... You know how hard it is for someone to reach the level of fame Mike Tyson has? Mike Tyson is agruably the biggest name in the sports history.

Just because he's not as a big of a name as Mike Tyson, doesn't mean he doesn't have mainstream appeal, but Floyd has a lot more positive press behind him then Tyson does. It's going to be hard for ANY boxer to ever reach Tyson's level of fame.

Floyd Mayweather had two of the biggest PPV drawing fights last year alone in 2007... Just because you've never heard of him, doesn't mean he doesnt get mainstream coverage. His 24/7 series with De La Hoya and Hatton last year were very popular.

But the fact that I haven't heard of him and I have heard of most other popular boxers is a pretty good indication that he doesn't have the kind of wide-spread appeal needed to pop a big buyrate on a WWE ppv (not boxing).

Mayweather isn't the type of boxer who appeals to the older crowd, but to the 18-25 crowd. He's young, charismatic, and appeals to the "hip hop" type crowd.

I guess because you never heard of him, means he has no wide-spread appeal right? :bonk: :bonk:

That's not what I'm saying, but I really don't think he has wide-spread mainstream fame. And I'm in the 18-25 demographic... The point I was trying to make is that he isn't on the same level of fame as Mike Tyson. Tyson is/was a household name with most people who've never even seen a boxing match. I doubt the same can be said about Mayweather, at this point anyway.

Well thats some dumbass logic... You know how hard it is for someone to reach the level of fame Mike Tyson has? Mike Tyson is agruably the biggest name in the sports history.

Just because he's not as a big of a name as Mike Tyson, doesn't mean he doesn't have mainstream appeal, but Floyd has a lot more positive press behind him then Tyson does. It's going to be hard for ANY boxer to ever reach Tyson's level of fame.

Yeah, but I keep seeing comparisons made between the two. That's why I mentioned it. I mean, I don't care enough to argue about this anymore. But lets just see how it works out, if the storyline ends up being entertaining and drawing a buyrate, I'll be glad to get proven wrong.

Guest dustinbeaverton

Hulk Hogan — WWE Hall of Famer, reality-show star and now host of the new "American Gladiators" — came by MTV News' New York offices last week, and boy did we start cooking up some fun scenarios of who the Hulkster would like to see battle in a hypothetical "AG" celebrity episode. 50 Cent vs. Kanye West or Game came up, and Beyoncé vs. Mariah Carey (in high heels) was another dream match.

In the wrestling world, though, Hogan still has the passion for the ring. He says he called out "Stone Cold" Steve Austin a long time ago for a match, but the Texas Rattlesnake never hollered back. ("That's on him. Apparently he don't want none. I'm easy to find, my brother," Hulk said.) So now Hogan has another challenger in mind, somebody he's made bleed in the circle before: "The Nature Boy" Ric Flair. As it happens, WWE Chairman Vince McMahon recently sent down the mandate that the next match Flair loses will be his last — he will be forced to retire. Hulk says he's the man to derail Space Mountain and wants to do it at WrestleMania 23 in Orlando, Florida.

"They need a main event real bad," Hogan said. "When I think about Ric Flair styling and profiling, when I think about Hulk Hogan going [head to head] with Ric Flair in my backyard, Florida ... I think that's where it's at. They got a lot of tickets, brother, that need to be sold. The power of the 'Mania, brother? Could be strong. Either he'll put me out for good, or I'll put him out for good. One or the other. That would be the match of the new millennium. Hogan vs. Flair. Maybe get Vince McMahon as a special guest referee. Me and Flair both hate Vince."

I'd rather see Arn Anderson vs Ric Flair over that. Course, I want to see that match anyway if Arn has one more left in him. All the living Horsemen around ringside as those two finally clash. I would pay money to see that match, no matter what the outcome.

It wouldn't be the greatness match but for someone like me, it would have the most interest.

Finally clash? Arn and Flair have wrestled before with Arn winning as well. Look, there are only three active people that Flair's last match should be against. Triple H, Sting and Shawn Michaels. No one gets a rub by beating Flair. Shawn and HHH gives him the best chance of going out in a good to great match. We covered Hogan's annual attention ploy in the Comments thread.

The "problem" with Mayweather in America is that he's far from a heavyweight. America loves their heavies...

The trouble is name me some current heavyweight boxers outside of Wladimir Klitschko, Vitali Klitschko, David Tua, Hasim Rahman, Oleg Maskaev, and Samuel Peter. Out of those "big" names only the Klitschko brothers and Peter-Maskaev would be considered a big money match.

Look at the other weight classes. Light heavy-weight has Tarver, Hopkins, and Roy Jones Jr. The Welterweight has Floyd Mayweather, Cotto, Mosely, Hatton, De La Hoya.

I would agrue that America has taken more of a shine to the Light heavy-weights and welterweights, especially judging the buy rates and coverage of the Hopkins-Tarver, Mayweather-De LaHoya and Mayweather-Hatton.

I think once the Clemens- Pettitte, and spygate stories slow down this story will pick up and get more mainstream coverage. The media would soak up the idea of a 145 lb Mayweather being in the ring with the 400+ pound Big Show. This will get them some nice coverage.

It's wierd to say, but I would have loved to se Kurt Angle and Flair as Flair's last match. Obviously they have no history, but in a lot of people's eyes, Kurt Angle was seen as the greatest technical wrestler of all time, and I don't know...but it would be a match I would have loved to see. With Angle winning and taking one more step into being a legend.

It's wierd to say, but I would have loved to se Kurt Angle and Flair as Flair's last match. Obviously they have no history, but in a lot of people's eyes, Kurt Angle was seen as the greatest technical wrestler of all time, and I don't know...but it would be a match I would have loved to see. With Angle winning and taking one more step into being a legend.

Those people have no eyes. The premise that Angle uses a leg submission while never working the leg is... contrarian to "technical" wrestling. WWE-speak technical = uses a submission finisher.

I'd mark out like a little bitch if somehow Sting was the opponent. Not happening, but I'd mark out so hard. Like I was 6 years old again hard.

As for people that WWE does have, what's wrong with Steamboat?

Steamboat hasn't wrestled a match since September 1994 and he probably wouldn't be capable of putting on a match that Ric Flair deserves to be his last.

Steamboat hasn't wrestled a match since September 1994 and he probably wouldn't be capable of putting on a match that Ric Flair deserves to be his last.

Ric Flair isn't capable of putting on a match that Ric Flair deserves to be his last.

Why excatly?

Why excatly?

Steamboat has almost 14 years of ring rust, plus a bad back, bad knees and more than likely the onset of arthrithus etc.

Why excatly?

Steamboat has almost 14 years of ring rust, plus a bad back, bad knees and more than likely the onset of arthrithus etc.

The ring rust doesn't much to me, it can be worked off with a few months or so of training, but the rest of the stuff makes sense. The way Engima put it, it's because Steamboat hasn't wrestled since 1994.

The ring rust doesn't much to me, it can be worked off with a few months or so of training, but the rest of the stuff makes sense. The way Engima put it, it's because Steamboat hasn't wrestled since 1994.

I don't know if you're aware of this, but WrestleMania is 5½ weeks away.

And all that other stuff mentioned was meant to be implied. I figured everyone here to be intelligent enough to figure this stuff out about a 55-year-old man who hasn't wrestled in over 13 years and had to quit because of a severe neck injury.

Not to mention that training or not, he would be gassed 5 minutes in.

Steamboat vs. Flair was not realistic in 2003 when it was rumored for WM19, and it's no more realistic today.

Mayweather's popularity is being overrated. WWE got virtually no mainstream press for Mayweather breaking Big Show's nose and if they didn't get any for that, then they probably won't get any for the rest of the storyline. I'm sure they'll get a few talk show appearances out of it, but by and large this doesn't seem to be making much of a dent in the mainstream.

The only boxer with the popularity to have a Tyson-like impact is Oscar De La Hoya.

I don't know if you're aware of this, but WrestleMania is 5½ weeks away.

And all that other stuff mentioned was meant to be implied. I figured everyone here to be intelligent enough to figure this stuff out about a 55-year-old man who hasn't wrestled in over 13 years and had to quit because of a severe neck injury.

Not to mention that training or not, he would be gassed 5 minutes in.

Steamboat vs. Flair was not realistic in 2003 when it was rumored for WM19, and it's no more realistic today.

sooo umm, I'm guessing you've never trained for a wrestling match for 5 in a half weeks?

Mayweather's popularity is being overrated. WWE got virtually no mainstream press for Mayweather breaking Big Show's nose and if they didn't get any for that, then they probably won't get any for the rest of the storyline. I'm sure they'll get a few talk show appearances out of it, but by and large this doesn't seem to be making much of a dent in the mainstream.

The only boxer with the popularity to have a Tyson-like impact is Oscar De La Hoya.

I'm guessing because of Spygate, Clemons, and Jason Kidd's trade controversy its not really a big story now, but since it was on ATH and PTI today, I'm sure it'll pick up in the next 5 1/2 weeks.

I'm guessing because of Spygate, Clemons, and Jason Kidd's trade controversy its not really a big story now, but since it was on ATH and PTI today, I'm sure it'll pick up in the next 5 1/2 weeks.

So because there's other big sports stories, it isn't getting any play? There's ALWAYS going to be big stories. There will be injuries, spring training, NFL draft, more trial stuff, NBA season winding down, etc. There's never not going to be something going on. Mayweather isn't a big mainstream name. Sports fans know him, but that's about it.

So because there's other big sports stories, it isn't getting any play? There's ALWAYS going to be big stories. There will be injuries, spring training, NFL draft, more trial stuff, NBA season winding down, etc. There's never not going to be something going on. Mayweather isn't a big mainstream name. Sports fans know him, but that's about it.

Having Baseball favorite player being outed by his 2 best friends as a cheat is a very big story.

Having the best team in football (arguably) being sued for cheating their way to a Superbowl ring, is a very big story.

Shaq 1st game for the Suns is a pretty big story.

Jason Kidd getting held up because 2 players rom Dallas are acting like pricks is a big story.

If the stories were just about "Injuries, the draft, spring training, and the NBA season winding down" and Mayweather didn't get much coverage, then you would have a valid point, but thats not the case there is some really big stories in sports right now and wrestling is not a top priority. When Floyd was being asked by White to join UFC, after making some comments about how MMA was a joke, it made ESPN. So I see no reason why him being involved in wrestling wouldn't make it, unless it was some huge stories going on. If anything its not Floyd fault, if could be nobody wants anything to do with pro wrestling.

Having Baseball favorite player being outed by his 2 best friends as a cheat is a very big story.

Having the best team in football (arguably) being sued for cheating their way to a Superbowl ring, is a very big story.

Shaq 1st game for the Suns is a pretty big story.

Jason Kidd getting held up because 2 players rom Dallas are acting like pricks is a big story.

If the stories were just about "Injuries, the draft, spring training, and the NBA season winding down" and Mayweather didn't get much coverage, then you would have a valid point, but thats not the case there is some really big stories in sports right now and wrestling is not a top priority. When Floyd was being asked by White to join UFC, after making some comments about how MMA was a joke, it made ESPN. So I see no reason why him being involved in wrestling wouldn't make it, unless it was some huge stories going on. If anything its not Floyd fault, if could be nobody wants anything to do with pro wrestling.

Spygate isn't going anywhere, neither is the Clemens stuff. That and other steroid talk will take even more precedence as we get into Spring Training and more players are questioned about the Mitchell Report. The NFL draft is HUGE and is going to be all over the place in the coming weeks.

We can argue about just how big certain sports stories are, but the fact is, there's always going to be big stories going on in sports and if they couldn't get any pub from Mayweather breaking Big Show's nose on PPV (and I doubt there will be anything else in the storyline that surpasses that as far as shock value goes), then they won't get much pub for anything else they do.

The difference between getting Mayweather and not De La Hoya would be like the difference between getting Tim Duncan and Kobe Bryant. Mayweather has much more personality and character than Duncan, but the thing is, while Duncan and Mayweather are at the top of their sports, they aren't household names that non-sports fans know and aren't very well-known at all by the mainstream media.

The difference between getting Mayweather and not De La Hoya would be like the difference between getting Tim Duncan and Kobe Bryant. Mayweather has much more personality and character than Duncan, but the thing is, while Duncan and Mayweather are at the top of their sports, but they aren't household names that non-sports fans know and aren't very well-known at all by the mainstream media.

You made some really good points. As a non-sports fan, I know who De La Hoya is, and I know who Kobe Bryant is. But I've never heard of Tim Duncan or Floyd Mayweather. Mayweather's level of fame is being very over-rated.