TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Scroby

WWE General Discussion - March 2008

I find it amusing that "the right guy" has to end Undertaker's 15-nonconsecutive-year streak, and yet a 40+ year old with a bad back is ending Ric Flair's 30+ year career and nobody thinks twice.

If I had to do it, I'd give it to MVP (would have been Kennedy if he wasn't such a fuckup; man how many storylines can that guy blow?) after he low-blows Flair behind the ref's back and rolls him up (maybe even grabbing the tights while he's at it). Flair then puts over how MVP out-dirtied the dirtiest player in the game, and deserved the win and subsequently the honor of being the final opponent in Flair's career.

I don't know about anyone else, but ending Flair's career really means nothing to me. The last time Flair really mattered was in 2005 when he was feuding with HHH. Ever since then, he's just floated around the mid-card with little feuds with Carlito, MVP, and Kennedy (not that that's a problem) or been Rated RKO's bitch. Most people seem to agree that he should have retired years and years ago, anyway. The way I view this whole retirement angle is that it's nothing more than a "Thank you" from WWE. They're not doing anything to embarrass him on his way out, and they're giving him that last big match with one of his best friends in the company, on the biggest show of the year in front of a huge crowd.

The difference between getting the rub from ending Taker's streak and retiring Flair is that they've been building Taker's streak since about 2001. Each year, the streak is "in trouble". Yeah, there definitely would be some rub to get from retiring Flair, but it just doesn't seem like it's that big of a deal when so many guys over the years have beaten Flair in a regular match over the years (Kenny, Rico, Carlito, etc).

I have to admit, watching Flair these days is 'painful', I know some people will say that Ric Flair has wrestled the same match for the last 30 years, but in the recent years its true. I know he's old, I know he's a legend, but its a shame that he wasn't able to retire a few years ago when he was still able to go some.

Hopefully he can have one last great match with HBK at WM and retire from the ring in the glorious send off he deserves.

Meltzer is reporting that fans attending the Hall of Fame Ceremony the night before WrestleMania will have to follow a dress code or will not be allowed in, whether they have a ticket or not. The code is "business attire". It's not expected to be strict, just no t-shirts, tank tops, jeans, etc. WWE might be assuming that the fans will act less rowdy and more "respectful" if they have to somewhat dress up.

I'm surprised no one's ever suggested Taker have a 2/3 falls match with someone at Wrestlemania. That way one could say they beat him at the PPV even if technically the streak was maintained.

Really when it comes down to it though, it has to be the right person to do it... Someone who will benefit from it.

Actually thinking about it, I think it would be very cool if Kane ended it. It actually would make sense aswell.

Isn't that contradictory? It's not going to do anything for Kane, and at this point in Kane's career, it doesn't do anything for the company.

But at the same time, in kayfabe it make sense for Kane to end, because he's Takers "bro", and he's 0-2 against Taker at WM... Maybe it's just because I'm a mark for Kane.

I agree with EHME here, Kane wouldn't be a new guy getting over, but it would be a fitting end to the streak. I thought I read at some point they offered Kane the Streak, but he turned it down saying that Taker shouldn't lose at Mania in his opinion.

Honestly I agree, if they do put someone over him what are the odds that he'll really get the follow up to get over? Taker's been a good company man, let him have his Streak.

Meltzer is reporting that fans attending the Hall of Fame Ceremony the night before WrestleMania will have to follow a dress code or will not be allowed in, whether they have a ticket or not. The code is "business attire". It's not expected to be strict, just no t-shirts, tank tops, jeans, etc. WWE might be assuming that the fans will act less rowdy and more "respectful" if they have to somewhat dress up.

Suit or not, Rocky's getting a chant. Whether it's "Please come back" or "You sold out" remains to be seen.

Even with half of Amyway Arena being used for the Hall of Fame ceremony this year, it's going to be hard for the crowd to act like they've done in the past. The theater settings have allowed for the chants and "rowdy fans" to be picked up a whole lot more than they will be this year.

Suit or not, Rocky's getting a chant. Whether it's "Please come back" or "You sold out" remains to be seen.

More than likely it will be the "one more match" chant.

I wonder if they also are worried about a vocal mob of TNA fans since they are in Orlando.

Unless TNA buys all of the tickets and papers the hall of fame like their tapings I do not think there is anything to worry about.

I'm surprised no one's ever suggested Taker have a 2/3 falls match with someone at Wrestlemania. That way one could say they beat him at the PPV even if technically the streak was maintained.

It hasn't been suggested because it's a terrible idea. The minute they try to get cute with the streak is the minute it stops being special and people stop being attached to it as much they are.

Good, I really hate when I see so many nice dressed up people at the Hall of fme then I see some fat fuck wearing a HHH shirt acting like he's 7.

It hasn't been suggested because it's a terrible idea. The minute they try to get cute with the streak is the minute it stops being special and people stop being attached to it as much they are.

Didn't claim it was a good solution. Just that with all the diverse suggestions on how to deal with Taker's streak, it seemed odd that no one ever thought of trying to utilize some technicality like a 2/3 fall match or 30 minute Iron Man, what have you.

Good, I really hate when I see so many nice dressed up people at the Hall of fme then I see some fat fuck wearing a HHH shirt acting like he's 7.

Well, that is their target demograph.

The Weather Channel's forecast for WM24 has improved. Earlier they called for a 60% chance of rain with scattered thunderstorms during the day. That has now downgraded to a 30% chance of rain with isolated thunderstorms during the day. They now call for a mostly clear night, but still with a 10% chance of rain.

A note on the weather. Maybe someone from southern Florida can back me up on this, but typically scattered thunderstorms come through in the afternoon and clear out most evenings.

I just saw the Chavo Guerrero and Jimmy Hart hair transplant commercial, I hope they got paid a lot for that.

Chavo seems to go between balding and having more hair again sometimes like Chris Masters did.

They better get working on that roof that they are supposedly building over the ring. I know that for my college graduation they built a small, temporary roof over the field and it took construction workers more than a week to get it up (and it was much simpler than the one that is supposedly going up for Mania).

I wonder if they also are worried about a vocal mob of TNA fans since they are in Orlando.

I don't think that there are enough TNA fans out there to get a noticeable vocal reaction.

Cogeco here STILL has the wrong time listed for Mania. I'm going to have to speak to someone on the phone and openly discuss with another human being that I want to order a wrestling program. Damnit.

They better get working on that roof that they are supposedly building over the ring. I know that for my college graduation they built a small, temporary roof over the field and it took construction workers more than a week to get it up (and it was much simpler than the one that is supposedly going up for Mania).

I don't think that there are enough TNA fans out there to get a noticeable vocal reaction.

Considering there was a very audible "TNA" chant during the Rosie vs. Trump mock match on Raw from wherever it was from...I think there's enough to be audible in their hometown in a theater.

I mean...product aside...they do get over a million viewers.

And if someone starts a TNA chant during a Hall of Fame Ceremony for another company, it shows they have no class or respect. (Regardless of the legitimacy of WWE's HOF, it's still a huge deal to all parties involved.)