TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Boon

The NBA Offseason Thread

The league has filed trademarks for the names Barons, Bison, Energy, Marshalls, Thunder, and Wind, for the OKC team.

Lakers re-sign Vujacic, 3 yrs/$15 million.

Hawks to sign Maurice Evans, 3 yrs/$7.5 million.

Jazz match OKC's offer sheet for C.J. Miles.

T-Wolves to re-sign Ryan Gomes.

Nice to have the Machine locked up for a bit. But once that contract's up he'll be priced out of our range.

The league has filed trademarks for the names Barons, Bison, Energy, Marshalls, Thunder, and Wind, for the OKC team.

Lakers re-sign Vujacic, 3 yrs/$15 million.

Hawks to sign Maurice Evans, 3 yrs/$7.5 million.

Jazz match OKC's offer sheet for C.J. Miles.

T-Wolves to re-sign Ryan Gomes.

Those two would be acceptable franchise names. THE WIND? The motherfucking name of the soccer team that Bobby Hill was on in that episode of King of the Hill? THE WIND? Whoever suggested that name should be fired. Whoever gave the OK for that name should be shot.

Also... yay for not losing CJ Miles. Maybe Sloan will... like use him some now.

Korver was the catalyst for the Jazz's second half run, not to mention that C.J. was already fighting with Ronnie Brewer for minutes to begin the season. Miles was just a casualty of a solid rotation.

They trademarked the wrong spelling of marshal.

Unless the team is hoping for:

DU_Marshall_logo.jpg

I'm still pulling for Barons, but I could live with Marshals/Marshalls. The other ones, god no. Plural team names with sensible mascots, you dipshits! What kind of suit are you going to come up with for the OKC Wind mascot? The OKC Energy mascot's going to be what, a windmill? A model of the atom? A hunk of coal, a drop/can of gasoline? Thunder isn't even visible, it would have to be a lightning bolt and that's not fucking thunder, thunder's a sound.

Guest The Elements of Style

I take it they downgraded to (snort!) The Wind because calling them the OKC Cyclones would be kinda cruel. Then again, you have the Chicago Fire to think about.

The Barons jokes are too easy, and yet I'm still too sleepy to go dig up the tampon picture to stick on a jersey template. oh well.

I think it is Thunder. Those were things that were probably registered before they figured out which they were going with. No clue why they'd misspell Marshals though. It's not like Bennett's legal people are stupid (as evidenced by their ass whipping of the city of seattle).

Yeah Thunder would be hard to make a log of, but I mean you have Miami Heat. How do you show Heat? Their logo is a basketball on fire. That's not heat, that's a fire. There's heat coming off the fire but it's not actual heat. So with Thunder they could go with a black cloud with Lightening coming out of it because where there's lightening there's usually thunder.

It was going to be impossible to come up with a name that appeased everyone though.

That's a decent justification, but "Thunder" is still a really retarded name. Sounds like they're joining the ABA.

At least you can go, Miami Heat... yeah, Miami's hot I guess.

Thunder?

Shit everyone has Thunder.

It's not like Bennett's legal people are stupid (as evidenced by their ass whipping of the city of seattle).

Goddamn I hope that is sarcasm.

Delonte West is supposedly close to signing with Dynamo Moscow. The rising Euro is going to cause the NBA some problems in the future.

Yeah, I know Russia doesn't use the Euro, but these motherfuckers come in with their ruble and shit and can sign anyone. All that oil money.

Apparently Olympiakos were interested in signing Luol Deng or Ben Gordon prior to the Childress signing...

Apparently Olympiakos were interested in signing Luol Deng or Ben Gordon prior to the Childress signing...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AtR6...o&type=lgns

Recently, negotiations with the Bulls’ restricted free agents, Deng and guard Ben Gordon, took a dramatic turn when owner Jerry Reinsdorf decided to take over the talks himself.

I swear, this fucking guy.

It's not like Bennett's legal people are stupid (as evidenced by their ass whipping of the city of seattle).

Goddamn I hope that is sarcasm.

No it's not. Just about everyone that watched the courtroom proceedings said Bennetts lawyers far outclassed the city of Seattle's lawyers.

I agree that both Deng and Gordon are assclowns, and not even starting lineup-caliber assclowns at that. What's more troubling still is that once again, John Paxson has had his nuts cut off while trying to do his job. He's gotta get out of there and just take that AD job. The entire Bulls organization is irretrievably lost until the horseshit owner sells or dies. I might not watch a single game this winter.

Bennett's legal team outclassing Seattle's shouldn't come as any surprise. Bennett's guys were playing to win; Seattle didn't really seem to give a flying fuck what the Sonics did till it became obvious that oh shit they're not kidding, and it was far too late by then.

Nenad Kristic is apparently heading overseas. The Nets are going to be horrid this year.

I don't know, personally I think people are sleeping on Jersey. I really like Sean Williams and Josh Boone as far as young bigs go, and Brook Lopez could be something special. With those 3, plus Yi and Eddie Najera, do they really need Nenad Kristic? Kristic gave them nothing last year anyway, and even at his best he was almost exclusively a face up big man. This is a rebuilding year for them, for sure, and a lot depends on which Vince Carter shows up and if Harris can stay healthy, but there's some really good young talent on this team, especially at the bigs, and some solid veteran role players like Najera, Dooling, Jarvis Hayes and Bobby Simmons. Rod Thorn is one of the better GMs in the league IMO, they could be a a playoff team if everything breaks right, and I wouldn't be terribly surprised if they're better than the Knicks, again.

Speaking of the Knicks, they traded Renaldo Balkman to Denver for Tureen Green, Bobby Jones and a 2010 2nd rounder. Hrm.

I guess I expect the pouting Vince Carter to show up because he'll be double teamed quite often this year since the Nets don't really have any other quality options on offense. Having said that they should be better than the Knicks but that's not saying much, if anything.

Clippers sign Ricky Davis

Not sure what to think, but at least he won't be scoring 30 on the Clippers like he use to do on a regular basis. He played like Jordan when ever he played the Clippers for some reason.

/facepalm

seriously though, if he's only playing backup Center to Rasheed, it's not a horrible move, since that roster no longer has any "real Centers" (just a bunch of PFs), but surely coulda found someone better than Stonehands.

The thing that really saved his ass was the fact that he plead out. 15 months isn;t shit, really.

I just hope that NBA officiating gets more consistent after all of this.

I might as well hope for peace in the Middle East while I'm at it, something else that will never happen.

Houston Chronicle and Sacramento Bee are both reporting Artest to Houston for Bobby Jackson (expiring), a 1st in 2009 and a player to be named later (believed to be Donte Greene). If true, the trade can't be announced officially until August 14, because that's the earliest that Greene can be traded.

I hope that the player to be named later is Steve Francis. Then he gets waived and signs with the Clippers. Reunites with his BFF and his career is officially over. Francis has pretty much been one sad dude since him and Mobley broke up in 2005.