TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
The Niggardly King

Man, Remember That Bomb Ass Time On RAW

I thought Maven could have been something once I saw the promo he cut at New Year's Revolution when he was going against Shelton Benjamin. He had the crowd eating out of the palm of his hand and, for the first time in his stint in WWE, he showed a lot of potential as an over-the-top arrogant heel.

I mean, they did release him a few months later....but we will always have that promo.

hey, what was it that Maven said during his week to control Raw where he was talking about initials and said RKO and every one was pretty much like "huh?" I can't remember exactly what he said. I just remember it being sort of bizarre.

That was another Shawn injury that got him tossed in that role right?

I'll admit... I did markout when Maven eliminated Taker from RR02.

One of the greatest eliminations ever. EVER!

The best was him trying to do it again the following year. Taker had the best "You little shit!" look on his face.

That was another Shawn injury that got him tossed in that role right?

Yes. I remember that Michaels was already battling a knee injury when he was voted into his World Championship match at Taboo Tuesday.

They pushed Maven because they were doing the Tough Enough shit on Smackdown at the time and wanted to remind everyone that Tough Enough really does matter.

It does. See John Morrison.

How did Maven turn heel anyway?

IIRC there were plans of having Maven join Evolution. I'm glad that didn't happen.

What I remember from the Raw with Maven as GM was the main event when Maven faced HHH, with Chris Jericho and Chris Benoit were at ringside. What makes it memorable is that top heel Hunter was booked like he was the top babyface, and Maven, Jericho and Benoit, all faces, were booked like heels. You had the heel valiantly fighting off the interference of the cheating babyfaces, and also kicking out of their signature moves, with Maven looking like a chump because he couldn't win even with two top names helping him out.

Maven was a good talker, though, and had real potential.

He had some dope ass music. Shit like, "I can clear the forest... I can feel the warming breeze!"

You know how he cleared the forest, with that swank dropkick of his.

Completely hilarious.

What's Maven doing these days anyway, and why'd they release him?

Wikipedia.

During this time, he entered an unofficial alliance with Simon Dean, serving as a successful user of the Dean character's "Simon System" line of nutritional products. The team was split when Dean was traded to SmackDown!, and Maven was subsequently released by WWE on July 5, 2005. WWE cited decreased revenue and a lack of enthusiasm with respect to Maven's in-ring ability as the cause of his release. WWE once tried to re-sign Maven on the ECW brand but he declined it.

[edit] Reality TV and independent circuit (2005-Present)

A few months after his release from WWE, it was announced by VH1 that Maven would be a participant in Season Six of The Surreal Life. On the first episode, he was picked by the existing castmates as the seventh and final cast member in a "15 More Minutes of Fame Reality Hunk Pageant," beating four other reality hunks, including infamous American Idol contestant Corey Clark. Subsequently, Maven was a host for a show on BET Jazz. He continues to work the Independent circuit after nearly retiring, usually for Hermie Sadler's UWF.

How did Maven turn heel anyway?

He got pissed that Eugene eliminated him in Randy Orton's battle royal.

that was actually pretty good.

ah well, he's young still, he could always come back somewhere down the line, provided he sticks with wrestling and perfects his style.

A few months after his release from WWE, it was announced by VH1 that Maven would be a participant in Season Six of The Surreal Life. On the first episode, he was picked by the existing castmates as the seventh and final cast member in a "15 More Minutes of Fame Reality Hunk Pageant," beating four other reality hunks, including infamous American Idol contestant Corey Clark. Subsequently, Maven was a host for a show on BET Jazz. He continues to work the Independent circuit after nearly retiring, usually for Hermie Sadler's UWF.

Holy shit, I remember that. He hosted a show called....Fuck it, I dunno, some gay name, for like 3 months. He was a pretty good host and sounded like he knew his Jazz music. Maybe it was just his voice that did it though.

I hoped he would get to do something decent, pluck his fuckin eyebrows and maybe get a new name/gimmick in the WWE.

I think the reason he got the push he did for a little bit was because his moms passed away, and a new Tough Enough was starting at around that time. I think all of that happened around the same time period, anyway.

Also, I think he did a few bookings for GCW and a few other indy feds in St. Louis when I lived there.

I admit, I hated Maven for most of his WWE run. He just didn't show much personality and seemed like the typical generic young "rookie" babyface. I think I started paying attention to him once he started using that "backstabber" move as his finisher and went heel. I thought he was going to get a pretty good push, and then in typical WWE fashion, he was gone.

I admit, I hated Maven for most of his WWE run. He just didn't show much personality and seemed like the typical generic young "rookie" babyface. I think I started paying attention to him once he started using that "backstabber" move as his finisher and went heel. I thought he was going to get a pretty good push, and then in typical WWE fashion, he was gone.

Maven was the start of the generic WWE rookie craze back in 2002 which led to Orton and Cena coming in and being just as bland as him at that time.

Now the generic rookie in WWE is Cody Rhodes.

I was really hoping for him to join Evolution in Randy's place. Since he ended up turning heel anyways, he coulda used the rub.

yea cuz the night after surseries (when Maven was GM), Flair offered him a spot in evolution if he would not wrestle HHH for the title that night.

this era was kinda fun I guess. I thought he had potential as an arrogant heel given his background of winning a spot into wwe on a reality show (he didn't pay his dues and thus became a prick to the other wrestlers) and he had some good mic skills (remember on tough enough he won the "promo" contest in which they had the contestants cut a promo on a random opponent, Maven cut one on Raven, I guess cuz he liked to rhyme)