TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

UFC 87 - Seek and Destroy

I love how BJ Penn comes in at the end and tries to get Georges to commit to the fight already, so that by saying it out loud on a PPV they have no choice but to throw down. DO YOU WANT IT DO YOU WANT TO DO IT HUH Ohcongratulationsgoodjob DO YOU WANNA FIGHT ME

It's too bad there are no knees allowed on the ground, I think Georges could have finished Fitch in the first round, and Lesnar probably would have finished Heath also.

I agree about Ken-flo actually disappointing me, Huerta has a lot of holes in his game and Kenny was too tentative to finish and exploit. He's nowhere near ready for a title shot, especially in a division as stacked as the lightweight one.

I was happy to see the anvil get dropped on the anvil. I don't really like that guy.

Great PPV.

Maia/MacDonald was a great fight, especially the 1st round. I've never been much of a MacDonald fan but he impressed me here, and Maia continues to look like the real deal. One more big win and i assume he'll have a title shot against Silva (or Cote...) before too long.

Florian/Huerta was a good fight but not as good as i hoped it would be, still a very good win for Florian though i agree he probably could have done more. Good luck getting BJ Penn-level money now Roger.

Brock was simply a monster, giving Herring a beating on the level of his Cro Cop & Fedor fights only without the finish/cut stoppage. Kongo thinks he deserves a title shot after hugging a nobody against the fence 95% of the fight and constantly leaving his head in position for a Guillotine, let Lesnar smash him next and put him out of contention for good. Kongo and his stupid chest pound/fist pump thing is easily my least favorite fighter in the UFC right now.

GSP looked great in the main event, St. Pierre beat Fitch all over the Octagon but credit to Fitch for somehow surviving despite looking finished about 4 separate times. Bring on GSP/Penn II. Great show overall, maybe the best UFC this year or at least close to it.

BROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK !!!!!! :headbang:

Now, to the show.

It was a great card and I'm ecstatic that Brock came through and shut a lot of the critics up. I expect Dana to strike while the iron is hot and give Brock a title shot as he only has 2 remaining fights on his contract.

P.S. BRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK :headbang:

Maia/MacDonald was a great fight, especially the 1st round. I've never been much of a MacDonald fan but he impressed me here, and Maia continues to look like the real deal. One more big win and i assume he'll have a title shot against Silva (or Cote...) before too long.

Agreed. That first round was incredible, and might have been the best round of the night. It started the PPV on a high note.

Florian/Huerta was a good fight but not as good as i hoped it would be, still a very good win for Florian though i agree he probably could have done more. Good luck getting BJ Penn-level money now Roger.

It was a decent fight, but fell very short of the 'FOTY' talk that had surrounded it. A clear win for Florian, but I don't think he looked someone who will be near a title fight anytime soon, let alone winning one.

Brock was simply a monster, giving Herring a beating on the level of his Cro Cop & Fedor fights only without the finish/cut stoppage. Kongo thinks he deserves a title shot after hugging a nobody against the fence 95% of the fight and constantly leaving his head in position for a Guillotine, let Lesnar smash him next and put him out of contention for good. Kongo and his stupid chest pound/fist pump thing is easily my least favorite fighter in the UFC right now.

Brock massacred Herring on the ground. He just beat and beat and beat on him at will, with Herring able to do almost nothing about it. If Kongo were to face Lesnar, then Kongo would get the uckfay beaten out of him. That said, and for all the positive things you can, and should, say about Brock. we're still waiting to see how he handles getting hit with heavy punches.

And how about that first punch from Lesnar, and how fast he followed up on it?

GSP looked great in the main event, St. Pierre beat Fitch all over the Octagon but credit to Fitch for somehow surviving despite looking finished about 4 separate times. Bring on GSP/Penn II. Great show overall, maybe the best UFC this year or at least close to it.

I give Fitch a ton of credit for hanging in there, but he was totally outclassed, and it'll take a long time before he gets another chance at the WW title.

Add to that a decent undercard, and a great KO of the 'Anvil', and UFC 87 was a great PPV and one of the best UFC shows in a long time.

Brock massacred Herring on the ground. He just beat and beat and beat on him at will, with Herring able to do almost nothing about it. If Kongo were to face Lesnar, then Kongo would get the uckfay beaten out of him. That said, and for all the positive things you can, and should, say about Brock. we're still waiting to see how he handles getting hit with heavy punches.

And how about that first punch from Lesnar, and how fast he followed up on it?

That's what suprised me the most. He looked like a fucking bull on PCP when he ran after him. That was an incredible/scary sight.

I dig Brock and his strength and wrestling were great here but seriously, let's not compare his kickboxing to Mirko or GnP to Fedor.

To be fair, Herring did tag Brock a few times and Brock just no sold them. By that point in the fight, Herring was half dead, but he still nailed him. Even nailed Brock with a few good knees if I remember right and Brock just...took em.

I actually give credit to Herring, because most would have tapped or given up. That guy, no matter what happens, never gives up. Had Brock let go, I think in second round, Herring would have crumbled from the clinch knees. Herring just lurched over like he had been shot with a gun. But Brock either didn't notice, or didn't care and just held him up.

Brock still has a ways to go, but his two bases of athletic ability and power are so goddamn powerful that he's a force. If he learns how to use positions better (If he had went for a back mount with hooks, Herring would have DIED) and works on his standup, he's gonna be a scary motherfucker. I'd say he already is, but that'd just make it worse.

And insane praise to Jon Fitch. My GOD what a beating he took. I mean, talk about not giving up. He knew this could be his one shot and he was NOT going down no matter what he took, and GSP was more then happy to try and encourage him TO go down.

The biggest improvement for Brock in this fight was his patience when striking. He was WAY calmer this time around when he dropped his opponent. He is still seriously green though (Herring was pretty much begging him to take his back and choke him out), but his size, speed, power, and wrestling ability will make him a force.

I don't think Lesnar would have had any more success getting hooks in than he had riding Herring. It would be too much of a risk for giving up a sure-thing. Brock is a big guy, so putting hooks in would have been fairly awkward and temporarily taken away Brocks base. Rather, imo, Brock should have tried more things from the position he had - working with Eric Paulson should have given him some tools from that position.

Brock looked soo much better in this fight than he did against Mir. A few more fights under his belt, and I can see Brock being the shit.

Oh my god it's like christmas morning with that news. Let me remind you guys that Tamdan is only 21.

Anyway, as for Brock... his next fight should be Kongo. In fact, I can't even think of another logical opponent. Throw it on GSP/Penn 2 and send the buyrate through the fucking roof. Brock is a draw again.

I agree with Rudo, I'm not sure putting hooks in and flattening Heath out would have made much more of a difference. Two gaping holes in Brock's game last night...

1) Lack of killer instinct at the end of the second round. Heath nearly collapsed from some of those knees to the body and there was about 45-60 seconds left. He could have finished if he put some more knees in bunches and unleashed a fury on Heath. I know Heath is always dangerous and all but he was DONE at that point. Brock let him continue.

2) His GnP needs SERIOUS work. It basically consists of exactly what Heath said pre-fight... "Donkey kong on ma head"... just one punch...ONE like GSP does from the guard and Heath would have been out cold. You know the one I'm talking about, when he postures up and takes one clean hard shot. Short elbows like Bas suggested for him or even real punches and he will be unstoppable. He's so strong and his hands are so large that he inflicts serious damage with those baby rabbit punches but if he hits people with real shots it's almost scary what he can accomplish.

I still think that Brock is, without a shadow of a doubt, the future UFC heavyweight champion. I took the stance from the very beginning (seriously go back to page 1) that Brock was going to steamroll Heath with his wrestling and I'm glad he didn't make me look foolish.

As for my other mancrush, well I'm glad Roger lost. First, Kenny is a better fighter right now. And two, this loss was needed to get some perspective back in Roger's life. It left a bad taste in my mouth when he was calling Florian a "cakewalk" in the pre-fight interview. What planet are you living on Roger? Get back in the gym and work your fucking ass off. You're signing a 40+30 deal most likely so live with that fact and resign yourself to training like a motherfucker.

And YPOV said it best about the end. That was typical BJ. I was laughing my head off. DO YOU GUYS WANT TO SEE BJ PENN/GSP...oh yeah good fight...BUT DO YOU REALLY WANNA SEE IT?! Doing it in the ring like that means Kenny's going to be waiting for his title shot until March/April.

* Jon Fitch and Georges St. Pierre each pocketed an extra $60,000 for Fight of the Night following their five round war for the welterweight title.

* Demian Maia was awarded Submission of the Night and also pocketed an extra $60,000 for his rear naked choke submission against Jason MacDonald in the opening bout of the pay-per-view portion of the show.

* Rob Emerson was awarded Knockout of the Night and also took home an extra $60,000 for his brutal 12 second knockout victory over TUF 5 castmate Manny Gamburyan.

Emerson winning KO of the night is probably the most obvious thing ever... but it probably actually was the KO of the night. Maia is one of the highest paid fighters in the UFC right now because he wins submission of the night like every single time out. He's making nearly 100k a fight right now.

Oh and LOL at Tamdan telling Joe Rogan after the fight that he had good jiu-jitsu because he "read Eddie Bravo's book on the way over to the fight."

I'm gonna have to watch Florian/Huerta again because the only thing I can remember from that one was just that great part where they're trading knees and Huerta eats one flush, he stands back, cocks his head to the side, and spits. That was bad ass of him and I thought it would lead to a flurry, but it just lead to K-Flo taking him down.

Oh my god it's like christmas morning with that news. Let me remind you guys that Tamdan is only 21.

Anyway, as for Brock... his next fight should be Kongo. In fact, I can't even think of another logical opponent. Throw it on GSP/Penn 2 and send the buyrate through the fucking roof. Brock is a draw again.

I agree with Rudo, I'm not sure putting hooks in and flattening Heath out would have made much more of a difference. Two gaping holes in Brock's game last night...

1) Lack of killer instinct at the end of the second round. Heath nearly collapsed from some of those knees to the body and there was about 45-60 seconds left. He could have finished if he put some more knees in bunches and unleashed a fury on Heath. I know Heath is always dangerous and all but he was DONE at that point. Brock let him continue.

2) His GnP needs SERIOUS work. It basically consists of exactly what Heath said pre-fight... "Donkey kong on ma head"... just one punch...ONE like GSP does from the guard and Heath would have been out cold. You know the one I'm talking about, when he postures up and takes one clean hard shot. Short elbows like Bas suggested for him or even real punches and he will be unstoppable. He's so strong and his hands are so large that he inflicts serious damage with those baby rabbit punches but if he hits people with real shots it's almost scary what he can accomplish.

I still think that Brock is, without a shadow of a doubt, the future UFC heavyweight champion. I took the stance from the very beginning (seriously go back to page 1) that Brock was going to steamroll Heath with his wrestling and I'm glad he didn't make me look foolish.

I was thinking throughout the fight and still do that Brock could have and should have ended that fight anytime he wanted to if he would have tried more strikes on the ground. He mounted him several times but did nothing with it, electing to just sit on top of him. If brock learns to throw more punches, elbows, etc on the ground and go for the kill when he is all over them, he is going to be just about unstoppable. But I was disappointed that he didn't finish the fight with a KO because he should have considering the way he absolutely manhandled heath. Interesting to note how they also said, he had the largest gloves ever made in ufc history.