TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  

Random Thoughts

I have a question about Andre the Giant, but I need to preface it first.

I've been into wrestling on and off since I was a child. I'd watch it a bit for awhile and then not watch it again for a few yrs. I didn't really watch it from 2000 til about 2007, with the exception of the occasional Raw or something I'd catch. Since then I've become very interested in wrestling again, watching the shows regularly and reading a lot about it.

When it comes to Andre the Giant, I am more familiar with his later days, where he was losing his touch. However, I have also watched a number of his earlier bouts. It seems to me that Andre really wasn't that great a wrestler. While I am in no way suggesting that he wasn't an extremely important part of wrestling history (I happen to be a big fan still), it seems to me that his in-ring skills were rather limited and that the main thing he really had going for him is that he was a spectacle to behold. At the same time, some of that might be due to it being a different era with a style different from what I am used for (for instance this was before the days of chokeslams). Thing is that I am not knowledgeable enough to really determine who is a good worker and whatnot, so I honestly can't say if he was good or not.

So with all the behind me, what I want to know is if Andre the Giant was actually a good worker.

My understanding is that he wasn't a bad worker, he was decent. The problem was that he was so much bigger & stronger than everybody else that they were afraid to work with him and he needed to take extra precautions that made him look sloppier than he actually was.

It depended on who he was working with, too; a guy with a solid workrate and who wasn't terrified of him would work a pretty good match, but if you've got a semi-acceptable worker who won't take half of Andre's moves because he thinks he'll crush him, then his moveset's going to be extremely limited and the match will bomb.

That and promoters were very protective when it came to Andre. They couldn't risk making him look vulnerable because he was always pretty much a guaranteed sell-out when he came to town. He couldn't look like everyone else, taking bumps and doing the normal things or he'd just be another big guy in wrestling.

Andre did, however, know how to work as a big man and used his size and bulk to his advantage, unlike a lot of other big men after him.

Even though he wasn't a great worker (or even marginal) in his last years, Andre was always a smart worker. I haven't seen the matches in years and years but for some reason, I remember his series with Jim Duggan was surprisingly watchable.

What the fuck. The choices there were stupid. Who cares about Ranjin Singh. The 2pac thing is tasteless. They have to shove Vince McMahon in for fun, and Captain america is just random. I say its either Taker or Bearer, but I'm not sure who.

No, not really. Maybe when it happened, but it's been like a decade (I know I'm probably off with the date, but you get my point). This is the same company that continue to does "______ has died" angles, the Katie Vick story, and most recently Edge and Vickie getting married. They don't care about being tasteless, but 2Pac being in the poll is not tasteless.

and the worst fans in professional sports

X

You must be from the area

Philadelphia's history of being scumbags speaks for itself

They hate because they care. I love Philly fans.

and the worst fans in professional sports

X

You must be from the area

Philadelphia's history of being scumbags speaks for itself

You turned this into something completely way off base. It has nothing to do with them being the worst fans in professional sports. There are a lot worse...many worse, in fact. Nobody really knows the story behind Philly fans, so they take what ESPN broadcasts down their throats and they swallow it.

The Toronto crowd at Summerslam 2004 was one of the funnest things to be a part of. I know some people hate when crowds put themselves over, but fuck it, a crowd into it enough no matter how they may express that is always ten times better than the crowds that sit on their hands.

I had the time of my life at a house show in 2003 with 3rd row seats. I've had plenty of indy seats that close, but this is your chance to yell at SUPERSTARS.

That said, they still had a cap in 2003 (I think) where floor seats were the same price as well positioned lower bowl seats so I didn't pay anything above and beyond.

Worst seats I've had at a house show? Floor seats, row 12. Jerk asses with their damn signs at a house show.

I sat on the floor at a house show in July '02 and the tickets cost $40 a pop. At the last house show I went to in June '06, floor tickets were $60. I sat in the $25 cheap seats. That's what I'm going to do from now on because I can always move up.

$60 for a floor show at a house show is way too much and I love house shows. Floor tickets are no good anyway if you're sitting past the sixth or seventh row. I'd rather sit in the cheap seats than in the tenth row.

I sat on the floor at a house show in July '02 and the tickets cost $40 a pop. At the last house show I went to in June '06, floor tickets were $60. I sat in the $25 cheap seats. That's what I'm going to do from now on because I can always move up.

$60 for a floor show at a house show is way too much and I love house shows. Floor tickets are no good anyway if you're sitting past the sixth or seventh row. I'd rather sit in the cheap seats than in the tenth row.

I have a house show on August 8th again and I paid 60 for a seat I think in the...5th row?

The first time I was waay back and I couldn't see hardly shit. It took me a while to figure out where the wrestlers were coming from. It was terrible.

This time, I'm also near the area the wrestlers are entering. So I'll actually be able to enjoy the damn show.

I paid $50 for a floor seat about 10 rows back for a Nitro in 2000 whereI could have gotten cheap seats for free. At least I got on TV with my generic New Blood sign.

I paid $60 or so for 5th row seats last year. They were pretty good and I had no issues seeing the action. Only thing that sucked was during the finish of the matches and during entrances everyone was on their feet which meant I couldn't see shit until they got in the ring

Rows 1-5 is pretty much heaven when it comes to shit talking and being able to interact with wrestlers... Undertaker and D'Lo Brown were the best ones to interact with as they were having fun with everyone. Especially Taker, since he was doing that Booger Red shit at the time.

Next year will be the the 25th anniversary of the birth of Hulkamania. Next year's Wrestlemania (Wrestlemania 25) will be held in Houston, Texas which is Steve Austin's homestate.

Hulk Hogan vs Steve Austin anyone ?

Next year will be the the 25th anniversary of the birth of Hulkamania. Next year's Wrestlemania (Wrestlemania 25) will be held in Houston, Texas which is Steve Austin's homestate.

not ever

Anyone know how they make Snitsky's teeth so yellow? because I doubt its jsut not brushing because that would bring fungus

not ever

You may wanna check with MVP, I'm sure he has the inside scoop on that story.

I'd expect Vince to be a fiscal conservative, but really, there are a lot of republicans that would probably sell Vince down the river for credit with the family values groups if another child death happened and WWE got the blame.

I know we're past 600 posts in this thread, but I don't give a fuck. Just in case anyone wonders why I didn't close it.

I just stumbled upon this website which shows how much money Vince McMahon has donated to political candidates (mostly Republicans).

http://www.newsmeat.com/celebrity_politica...nce_McMahon.php

If thats not random, I don't know what is...

Off topic, but the cleberity presidential donor list if worth a read. I never would have peged JoePa as a Obama supporter.

I just stumbled upon this website which shows how much money Vince McMahon has donated to political candidates (mostly Republicans).

http://www.newsmeat.com/celebrity_politica...nce_McMahon.php

If thats not random, I don't know what is...

Off topic, but the cleberity presidential donor list if worth a read. I never would have peged JoePa as a Obama supporter.

That's his son....not him.